Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
This is all information you could have gotten from the manual but I don't think you read it.

You keep putting points in things that are not spell skills. The spell skills never rise through use you need to pump them manually. Check the manual for required points for different levels of spells. They are skill, not level dependant. This is especially critical for the pope.

Weapon skills all rise automatically (and quite quickly) through use.

Also a lot of your skill points are getting pumped into class skills automatically, again check the manual for which skills are being auto allocated for which class.

Cythereal posted:

There are set encounters, and also random ones. There are set squares on the map guaranteed to trigger an encounter. Sometimes these are preset encounters, other times they're semi-random, picking from a list of options. Most often these are behind doors, so a good rule of thumb is to save before opening any door. There are also random encounters - there's a % chance for an encounter every time you step into a new square, reset, etc.

Even every time you turn to the right or left or whatever you can trigger random encounters.

Luisfe posted:

Again, mostly blind! So if I do end up missing stuff a couple tips here and there would be quite appreciated!

Also it is strange but I am feeling this game much less clunky than Strange Journey. Funny, that.

Do you want any real advice about how and when to do class changing and that sort of thing? Or are you planning on trying to go all the way without changing classes?

Also there is a game breaking bug in the stock version that makes enemies resist all the level 7 spells, and an option to make mana regen not glacial so you might want to apply those patches to save yourself from going completely insane. You already accidently have a party full of people with slow mana regen with the exception of the single fairy.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
There is a utility called cosmic forge that is a viewer for all game data in addition to being able to patch these issues. The guy purposefully left out a character editor but you can still view all maps, but you have to enable that to see them. There are a total of 3 patches, one to fix max level spells, one to fix the mana regen, and the last one fixes the carry capacity bug (stuck with the carry capacity you have at initial character creation instead of it being dynamic depending on your actual strength score)

http://mad-god.webs.com/downloads.htm

When you change classes your stats are reset to the minimum requirements for that class any unlisted stats are set to the minimum for your race, so this means you need to stick with the top 5 "elite" classes with native high stats of Monk, Ninja, Lord, Samurai, and Valkyrie. To make it even easier you usually pick a pair of classes with related stats, these are (ninja/samurai) and (lord or valkyrie/monk). You could have preplanned your rolls somewhat to make the first class change easy and do it at like level 5, but you don't get that on a blind playthrough!

For class changing this is usually best done as soon as you are able to qualify for another "elite" class, at around level 8 or 10. With experience working the way it does it is generally going to be pretty hard to get past level 10 until much later in the game (takes the same xp to go from 10->11 as it does to go from 1->10). So going like samurai -> ninja -> samurai -> ninja until you max your spells and skills is good. Or Monk -> Lord -> Monk -> Lord. Eventually you might change the bishop to a monk or samurai, but then probably never switch back due to fear of getting stuck there permanently because of low stats.

In some cases you'll need to step up to the higher tier classes by first switching to Psionicist or Ranger and then up to one of the top 5. Since you used such low rolls to make your party in the first place this will probably be required for a lot of these dudes.

You'll make your first class changes right around when the whole party is hitting level 8 or so probably, and then not be able to really grind up the class flip flopping until you get to a later area. Unless you feel really underpowered in the next area.

As you already found, you don't have anyone that can use the really good weapons and armor (fighters, lords, and valkyries), like that sword of striking, so you probably want to change a few people over to lord or valkyrie as soon as you qualify. But it''s not super important to do that until you get out of the castle and into the next area. You may even want to save scum your level ups to make sure you are getting at least close to the correct stats.

You won't want to switch your bard until you have at least two other people who can consistently sleep/hold enemies with spells.

With all this in mind I switched classes on most of my guys like 4 times and a few more than that, and I still had to save/reload a lot of fights even in the late middle portion of the game when I thought I would be most powerful. So don't think of this as cheating at all! It's practically required!! I think the only way you can do the game without a lot of class changing is with a very carefully crafted party from the beginning.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yep, all these super crazy spells that you have at level 1 like sleep that let you destroy entire big groups of monsters? In later areas the monsters get all these spells too. Super important to get magic screen up at max power asap.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

You want to just apply all those fixes probably. The spell resistance one is for the level 7 spells. None of them could be considered cheating except if you were doing a speed run or something, and yeah they apply to your existing game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Crazy Dastard posted:

Luckily the last game in the series to have stat LOSS on level-up was Wizardry 5. When making Wiz 6 the developers decided to throw out the old 1st Edition D&D thinking and get with the times a bit, so dick moves like stat loss were phased out. Oh, there's plenty of other WTF moments in store, so don't worry.

By far the biggest dick move status ailment I'd say is petrification, but even it has some saving graces. For instance, statues have pretty high AC so monsters that hit a Stoned character have a hard time doing any damage. On the other hand, turning them back costs 1 Vitality and if they end up dead, resurrection costs another point.

Yeah, don't resurrect or destone anyone, just reload from last save. Unless that character has extra vit and you are going to change classes soon. You can hardcore gently caress yourself by using that life amulet early on to resurrect your newbies before the first class change. If your vit was too low to change to a good class you would have to change to thief or something and then start the progression chain all over again.

Edit: It's pretty cool seeing you map out this map especially, the later ones are going to be nuts.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 27, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

At least it's possible to keep it mapped out in this game. Earlier games with spinners are poo poo would be impossible.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Are you watching your stats for your first series of class changes yet? You probably need to do some save scumming to get the right stats you need. You should try to do these first ones sometime here after level 6ish. It becomes very hard to level up past 8 or so in the early game, so you have to aim for that as a cutoff when you should be making these first class changes (like with the Samauri for sure wait until at least 8 for some decent spells). Then later on you can worry about the next phase of switches. You keep your existing skills when you switch btw, a great reason to have everyone eventually cycle through ninja to get those skills rolling on most every party member. And good so you can keep pumping your spell skills.

All said though, your bard and a lot of sleep spells will carry you through until even the 3rd or 4th area.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Glazius posted:

Sterv should never not play the harmonium. Just the image is amazing.

I guess bards don't attract monsters to themselves or anything.

Haha how does a cat with giant fangs play a harmonica anyway? I wish I had some kind of artistic ability.

Joke answer: badly, after all it's very irritating.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

SirArthurIV posted:

Instrument Lesson: The Harmonium is not a harmonica. It's actually something like a small organ. It kind of sounds like an accordion. It's probably a hand pump, since it's apparently portable

Man why you gotta ruin my retarded joke.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Thats amazing, I was totally unable to find information about the dog and had to use spoilers.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

JamieTheD posted:

I'd actually planned to do (at some point) an informative type LP of 6 and 7, but honestly, this is much more entertaining... Although I hope fellow goons will inform you of Dead Man Walking scenarios and where to save for the alternate endings before they happen.

As to the map, I think, if the size issues can be dealt with, Parchment is a good, traditional one, but if not, the yellow and black is perfectly fine for purpose.

If you want, once you've irrevocably finished a level (I suspect you're close to that point with level 1, haven't checked), do you want me to post bits from the cluebook? I'd be happy to do so, because the Cluebook for Wizardry 6 is... Interesting. But this final trilogy in the European series is definitely my favourite of the whole lot, and is just the kind of bonkers I loved in old CRPGs!

He has to return to many areas, I don't think you really ever finish with an area until you get to the very end. But I think you can still return to the castle even from near the very end. I don't think you really ever miss any hidden secrets in this game. If you don't find them you just can't progress.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

You really, REALLY need to start save scumming and planning which classes to change to. It becomes exceptionally harder to do the later you go in the game (every level now takes 2x as much exp as the previous level). You cannot do this with the in game client at all, you need to look up the stats and whatnot in the manual. If you want I can do the legwork to find the easiest changes.

I mean I guess you can just power through and do one class change to basic classes and jump between basic spellcasting classes until you luck into a higher tier class again but it requires like twice as much grinding, and it's already going to be a lot of grinding. But if grinding does not bother you then you can just do it that way.

And detpope is already a priest so no, you don't need it at later levels. You already have it covered. You do need someone with basically all the priest spells later on, but that goes for having someone with all the mage spells too (and the only way to do that is a lot of class changes).

Also the reason you are getting more skill points on some dudes now is that they have hit the ceiling on the mandatory skill training that they do, i.e. some classes put 5 into hands and feet until it hits 50 others music or whatever.

Edit: But again I am amazed. You found l'montes then the cheese and the dog pretty easily. That's probably one of the harder things to do early in the game.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 7, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I hate to tell you, but I seem to remember that search is sometimes dependent on the direction you are facing.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

It takes the same amount of XP to go from 1->10 as it takes to go from 10->11. So for that measly amount of xp (in later areas) you can easily max out spellcasting skills, get WAY more spells (which means way more spell points). And as long as you re-class at 10 a few times you will add quite a lot to your hit chance as well. (you get more hit chance when you match your previous level).

The powergamer way of doing things is to start with 5 spellcasters (just mages/priest/alch/psi) and a bard, and have every single one of them ready to change to advanced classes right from the get-go. You can pretty easily get everyone to level 5 or 6, then switch over to samurais, ninjas, and valkyries. You keep all of your spells and spell points and can keep casting sleep or whatever and then eventually cycle everyone through ninja to get ninjutsu (way important in the later areas) and kirijitsu. Try to keep changing classes every time you hit level 8 or so by save scumming, and eventually you end up with a party that has all the spells and everyone with maxxed ninja skills.

This is pretty much exactly what I did when I beat the game with a guide, except I started with advanced classes ready to change after just a few levels (changed everyone for the first time in the mines at level 8 and 9, then later in the river of styx power levelled and cycled through ninja and recycled through advanced classes for more spells some characters might have had 6 total class changes, my main priest spell caster had something like 250sp), and it was still the hardest game I've ever beaten I think. I still had to save/reload quite a lot.

Finally since XP starts to double every level, even though I power levelled my final party in the river styx to level 10 before beating the rest of the game, I think I ended the game at only level 14. So without class changes you can beat the game, but you would need an acute awareness of the best spells to take and never take any of the spells that can be bought at vendors, and still you would be short a few utility spells that would be nice to have.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah I was really surprised that he had so few opponents there. I think I had a screen full of rats when I did it. 3 groups of 7 or 9 and the fat rat.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah, good spot, I forget if it's faster to just sit and spin in the basement or go up to the belfry. Good spot to come back to if you get your rear end handed to you in the next area I guess.

You should be using map notes too Luisfe, you will frequently have to advance to new areas to find things, and then backtrack a long way to unlock some previous unopenable door or similar.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah spell skills do not rise with use, oratory, which determines what level of spell power you can use along with your level does go up with use however. And since your samurai has over 50 sword skill now she gets to put all her skill points in manually. Kirijitsu is the other skill that also does not go up with use, and the lock picking and stealing skills advance so slowly they need a lot of manual skill points too. Practicing hiding all the time is a great way to raise that skill though. And if anyone in your back rank can equip that whip I think it's a ranged weapon.

It is not worth pumping Kirijitsu over the spell skills though. I think each level is .25% or .10% chance. So 100 skill is something like 25% or 10% chance of insta kill. And you class adds an innate bonus as well, depending.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 22, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Bras as armor seems to be a D. W. Bradley thing in general - they crop up throughout this entire trilogy of games, and also show up in Wizards & Warriors, another game by the same guy.

Come to think of it, an entire swathe of this game will be not safe for work due to lots of bare titties on display for a certain enemy group.

HUGE SPOILER DO NOT LOOK IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED.

Your welcome!!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Well, no, but that is the art style they are in. It's actually MORE blatant in a few other areas.

What is really funny, is that one of the vendors in a later area is super naked.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

At this rate you might complete the game sometimes before your death at the average age of 72, although I'm starting to have doubts.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

To be honest the scope of Wizardry 8 is MUCH larger than 6 or 7. It's just that the puzzles are much harder in 6/7 and the interface is more difficult so they take longer to actually play. I really just want a good western wizardry 9. But because some japanese shovelware company bought it, and wizardry 8 was an undeniable flop, it's gone for good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

For changing classes, you want to change pretty much as soon as you qualify for one of the "advanced" classes. I.e. Samauri, Lord, Valkyrie, Ninja. You may want to go back and read the big post I made about the subject.

If you hit 9 or 10 and still don't qualify, then you would go for a lower power chain of classes. I.e. Ranger to something to an advanced class. Levelling past 10 is certainly not worth it, even past 9 is not really worthwhile. All you miss out on by doing lower powered classes is having to grind a lot more later on.

I did a minimum of 4 and sometimes as many as 8 class changes for my primary spell casters on my run through, nearly all advanced class changes, everyone ninja at least once, and it was still really hard.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 15, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

There is only one tileset, and you have seen it all. So hopefully you are not bored of it. But the monsters provide enough variety to differentiate the areas imo.

No to mindread, yes to hold monsters, enchanted blade, and armorplate.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Glazius posted:

Is "Dispel Undead" worth it in terms of mana-to-chance to actually work?

Yeah, for sure.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

If you check those two characters stats, and they are not close to anything else, then sure go ahead and switch classes. But be sure that you have someone that can consistently cast sleep/hold monster before switching the bard. The reason that you have to class switch is not only for spells and skill points. But you will only get to like level 14-15 before beating the game without an insane amount of grinding. XP doubles every level so eventually the required XP is just insane.

With all the class switching I did. I still was only level 12 when I beat the game.

Don't switch to alchemist though, they are terrible.

Washout fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Really? I always start with one in the party. They have Heal Wounds, Blinding Flash is a terrific early game spell, they learn a lot of condition cure spells, and some of the higher end spells like acid bomb are old standbys for me.

I tended to just use mage and cleric spells. Summons for distraction and then hold monster and hide a lot. All my characters were ninjas at some point though, so maybe just having that many alch spells made an actual alchemist redundant.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Glazius posted:

Has this place only got the one tile set? It felt like you were heading off to places that weren't castle walls.

Yeah only one tileset, but the mobs make the areas feel really different.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Oh man I wanted to see you find the captain. It's totally awesome.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Holy poo poo you made it out of the first area. I am very excited but my exclamation key is broken.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Nah the next sections are nowhere near as bad as the river.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Libluini posted:

Let me guess: If he ever finds himself in a swamp or forest, it will be made of brickwork, too?

Yeah, only one tileset for the entire game, so you are going to love the stone wall forest near the stonewall swamp.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah part of the reason I keep screaming about class changes and doing them correctly is because of this area. You want the encounters here to be trivial so that it's easy to explore and you don't have to worry about resting very often. But I would not begrudge you using a guide just to get through this area, it is by far the hardest in terms of mapping and bizarre puzzles.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah, if someone gets stoned you may as well just reload. There are so many bad things that can happen when you cure stone that it's just not worth the hassle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

If it helps the dark areas are not that large, and iirc there are only 3. You can hear a sound when you hit a wall so it shouldn't be too hard to map them.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah it was a bug of some sort. I got lucky in my playthrough I guess. I never had a secondary backup or anything, pretty dumb in retrospect.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Kacie posted:

I broke down and bought this game on steam due to nostalgia and wondering if I could actually progress in it if I made real maps, using a mapping tool

Game FAQS says to not settle for any attribute scores less than 18 pts to play with - sure, I understand that, everybody likes high scores!

The FAQs *also* say to switch classes like it's going out of style - some even suggest switching before you hit level 2!

But when you switch classes, your stats drop to the minimum necessary to qualify for that class; ie, all that time you spent getting a high number of stat points to play with is wasted! My gloriously high stats are now reduced to marginal numbers.

Am I missing something? Please help, my fellow Goons!

There are some bugs, that unless you patch them out with the cheat/patch tool, make your starting stats and class determine your permanent carry weight and mana regeneration. So the "vanilla" party should be all casters with really high strength scores that can immediately switch to lords, ninjas, and valkyries at level 2 (mostly ninjas for stealth and crit). With the exception of the starting bard that will switch later on at 8 or 10.

I found it easier to patch those to make the current str and class the determiner for carry weight and mana regen, but I also patched in faster mana and stamina regen so that I didn't tediously and constantly have to trek back to fountains. And then you can stick to trying to keep changing classes at 8, which is much easier than grinding up to 10 continuously. But it requires save scumming before each battle basically so that you can reload and level again when you don't get the right stats you need.

That faq was written by Cythereal btw, so he's kind of an expert on this game. I wrote a huge rear end post about class switching earlier in the thread if you want detailed analysis of how to go about it, what classes to bounce between etc.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 26, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Luisfe posted:

I should be switching classes soon. I think.

There are some really hard fights in your not too distant future that will probably require it. You still don't have any good damage dealers.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Uh, that's news to me. I like to think I'm pretty good at Wizardry 6, but that's mostly down to having the Cosmic Forge editor and being able to consult my dad, who's been playing this game since the year it came out. :v: I sure didn't write any formal FAQs or guides to it.

Oh sorry mistook you for the other goon who wrote it then.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Frog Assassin posted:

I've finished 6 and 7 without class changing and it's not too bad, just means a little more reloading than usual on some fights. I can't imagine taking down the Gorrors in 7 without class changes, but they're optional. And I haven't beaten all of them even with class change abuse.

If you're going to do the minmax thing with class changes I'd suggest trying to grab kirijutsu and ninjutsu for everybody ASAP. They're the ones that let you break things.

RE: tileset, your head will really break when we reach the "forest" with it's stone walls and utter lack of vegetation. But calling this game a train wreck is unfair. It's just a really old weary grandfather who's stories don't quite make sense anymore and you have to be careful when you go to hug him because he coughs up phlegm a lot. And don't let him drive because he falls asleep at the wheel.

I class changed a lot with min maxxing to stay in elite classes and still thought it was really hard. If you are switching classes you can ditch the bard and instruments you don't really need them anymore. Maybe take the sleeping lute to the next game as it's the only way to get one afaik. You really need some frontline fighters... But be sure to change with dudes that are going to have good stats for getting to the next good class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Luisfe posted:

Update 28

WHAT CHANGES SHOULD BE DONE?

Tinklee to priest
Tinysan to Ranger
Snake to Samauri
Detpope to PSI
Sterv to mage
Monmoon to priest

Then you need to save/reload your levels and aim for better stats for elite class changes for the next change. I think you are going to need to aim for some rangers to start climbing back up to other elite classes. You need to only change 2 guys at a time and get them levelled to 6 or so before changing the next two. Probably change the bard last. You need some dudes with tons of spell points so you can start keeping armorplate and enchanted blade and the antimagic spells up at all times. You can go back and power level in the belfry to make it easier to save/reload when you get stats you don't want on levelup.

I'd check the manual though and maybe level once more if you need to and save/reload maybe some of the dudes that currently only qualify for basic classes can get some stats that will qualify them for something else in a level or two.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 28, 2014

• Locked thread