Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Content:
This card started off as an inkling that Multikicker plus Living Weapon could be interesting. Then my flavour instincts took it over and it got rather silly (and I needed to start finding inventive ways to put everything on fewer lines.)

Mechanics:
Multikicker - pay an additional cost any number of times as you cast the spell.
Living weapon - when the equipment enters the battlefield, put a 0/0 black Germ creature token onto the battlefield and equip to it.
Infect - deals damage to creatures as -1/-1 counters and to players as poison counters.
You don't have an equip cost, so you might as well just make it a creature and ditch the whole living weapon thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
The last paragraph is its equip clause, in its own roundabout way.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The last paragraph is its equip clause, in its own roundabout way.

Yes but it would work the same way if you just made it a Creature - Germ. Well, the difference is that as an artifact that falls off you can do it a turn later if you don't have a creature to sac right away. But having an equipment that you can't equip kind of defeats the purpose of the mechanic.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 9, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Overloaded creature, aw yeah. There aren't nearly enough of Phoenixes to make this sort of tribal work, but I still like the idea of Phoenixes in general.

edit:

I had this idea sitting around for a while and could not find a good image for it. Still kind of eh on the image, but I do like the idea of a ninja stealthily running through the night to deliver a parcel.

edit:

So amplify works with land types, which is cool, but kind of overpowered if that's the only thing on a land creature. Echo helps though since it's an essentially "stay out of combat twice" clause for a land unless it's later in the game. I added on the activated ability just because it's better to be safe.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 10, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cumulative Upkeep and Threshold.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

... of the Light. But you are obviously well educated goons who would get a reference to Dylan Thomas and didn't require me spelling that out.

Black needs its Fateful Hours and its Miracles too you know. I think that was a neat flavour mine that ISD block could have explored and didn't. Maybe if/when we return.

I did have a version which had "Fateful Hour - Miracle" but, while I don't like the separation of the restriction on Miracle casting from the Miracle paragraph, jumbling the two together looked worse to me. Speaking of mechanics, I continue to mess around with double Xs and twice X because this is apparently a fetish of mine.

Basic version is a strictly worse Exsanguinate (targets, only one opponent, can't pay uneven mana amounts) and while it's monocolour even Debt to the Deathless overtakes it fairly quickly in terms of life gained for mana paid. The Miracle's a blowout but despite Black's propensity for paying life you're not casting it for that very often. Overall this could probably do with a power level push.

Started with the idea that soulbond could be a cool mechanic to pair with knightly flavour. The motif of brothers in chivalry who urge each other on to great deeds of valour and piety etc. Exalted is a mechanic right out of medieval romances so that came into the design quite naturally.

I played around with the exact additional bonuses, including several that hovered around the uncommon power level. In the end I decided to throw both of the other classic white Knight mechanics on it. Exalted wasn't ever a dominating constructed mechanic anyway and the card encourages a WW deck so I needed to provide a bit of a reason why you might switch to single attacks instead of swarms. Not getting blown out by black removal on your single attacker at least helps a bit.

I found the art sitting around in my folder gave me a better female knight than male knight, so it turned into a sister along the way. Maybe a little loss of resonance but whatever. We're not in the fifteenth century any more.

I still think there's something to be said for a slightly cleaner card with a lower power level but this is what I settled on.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Ramos posted:

So amplify works with land types, which is cool, but kind of overpowered if that's the only thing on a land creature. Echo helps though since it's an essentially "stay out of combat twice" clause for a land unless it's later in the game. I added on the activated ability just because it's better to be safe.

Nope!

Da comp rules posted:

702.37. Amplify

702.37a Amplify is a static ability. "Amplify N" means "As this object enters the battlefield, reveal any number of cards from your hand that share a creature type with it. This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it for each card revealed this way. You can’t reveal this card or any other cards that are entering the battlefield at the same time as this card."

702.37b If a creature has multiple instances of amplify, each one works separately.

Amplify specifies "creature types," of which forest is not.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

Nope!

Amplify specifies "creature types," of which forest is not.

Allow me to make a simple change to the rules.

quote:

702.37. Amplify

702.37a Amplify is a static ability. "Amplify N" means "As this object enters the battlefield, reveal any number of cards from your hand that share a creature, land, enchantment, or artifact type with it. This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it for each card revealed this way. You can’t reveal this card or any other cards that are entering the battlefield at the same time as this card."

702.37b If a creature has multiple instances of amplify, each one works separately.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
new version below

I've been trying to fit the RTR block mechanics onto Alara wedge cards and I think this one probably works best, with the Gruul and Golgari mechanics on a shaman card designed to give temporary and permanent buffs. Bloodrush gets you Colossal Might, Scavenge gets you Give.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 10, 2014

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

zgrowler2 posted:

I've been trying to fit the RTR block mechanics onto Alara wedge cards and I think this one probably works best, with the Gruul and Golgari mechanics on a shaman card designed to give temporary and permanent buffs. Bloodrush gets you Colossal Might, Scavenge gets you Give.

While I do think this is a pretty awesome design, typically bloodrush grants what the creature itself has. So for it to make sense, the channeler would have to be a 4/2 with trample. Still, I don't think that's a really massive change, but I do like how it's got dual utility without ever having to hit the field, and the effects can't be hit by counterspells either!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Ramos posted:

Allow me to make a simple change to the rules.

Sure, you just seemed fairly sure that the card worked in a way it didn't. As written, it doesn't work how you'd want outside a turtle tribal deck. Seems pretty neat in a turtle tribal deck, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

While I do think this is a pretty awesome design, typically bloodrush grants what the creature itself has. So for it to make sense, the channeler would have to be a 4/2 with trample. Still, I don't think that's a really massive change, but I do like how it's got dual utility without ever having to hit the field, and the effects can't be hit by counterspells either!

While that is how they were used in the RTR block, it's like Bestow in Theros, it was done that way to be a simple way to begin exploring the mechanics. It's left open ended enough that you can have a 9/9 give a bloodrush of +1/+1 or something.

That said...

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Ramos posted:

While that is how they were used in the RTR block, it's like Bestow in Theros, it was done that way to be a simple way to begin exploring the mechanics. It's left open ended enough that you can have a 9/9 give a bloodrush of +1/+1 or something.

That said...

Ah. Yeah in that case still pretty awesome. I think that two might be sort of cheap for +4/+2 and trample though. Also that guy is awesome, I love it.

What's the wording on recover, is it specially when a creature goes to the graveyard from the battlefield? Or would you be able to recover from pitching a bloodrush creature?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think that when you're dealing with ability words like Bestow or Bloodrush that don't actually have any rules text built into them, the more consistently applied they are, the better.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

Ah. Yeah in that case still pretty awesome. I think that two might be sort of cheap for +4/+2 and trample though. Also that guy is awesome, I love it.

What's the wording on recover, is it specially when a creature goes to the graveyard from the battlefield? Or would you be able to recover from pitching a bloodrush creature?

According to the rules, it has to be another creature that drops in while it's already in the graveyard. So if you really want to be optimal about this, it would be a +4/+0 and trample boost that probably gets the bloodrush target killed too, getting you the dinosaur back.

That would be neat.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

64bitrobot posted:

While I do think this is a pretty awesome design, typically bloodrush grants what the creature itself has. So for it to make sense, the channeler would have to be a 4/2 with trample.

Thanks! I looked back at the bloodrush cards and you're right. I added trample and altered the P/T partially to bring the card in line with that and partially to boost the Scavenge utility (it didn't make sense to overcost it for its effect in addition to requiring black mana). I'm comfortable keeping the bloodrush cost as is since it doesn't have the same defensive utility Colossal Might did.

E: another card!

Extort and Detain on a single card, with the latter placed in a Morbid shell. Flavor-wise, this card is an extension of Esper's paramount focus on order and disdain for turbulence of any kind. In function, it works to bleed your opponents and impede their board (and synergizes well with Illusions or tokens!).

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 10, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Expanding upon the recover idea, it can also be potentially used as a constant buff to reward suicidal rush strategies instead of an alternate mode that can be used in full later.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

Expanding upon the recover idea, it can also be potentially used as a constant buff to reward suicidal rush strategies instead of an alternate mode that can be used in full later.

Just make that an instant, there's not really a point in it being a creature. Force of Savagery works, because it's a 8-power guy for 3 mana, without any reason not to be used as a creature.

Also, Endless Rage reminds me of the red Myojin from Kamigawa (Myojin of Infinite Rage).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got hung up on using Gravestorm since I like Bitter Ordeal, this is probably broken. Also not sure if the buyback sacrifice counts toward the Gravestorm count.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got hung up on using Gravestorm since I like Bitter Ordeal, this is probably broken. Also not sure if the buyback sacrifice counts toward the Gravestorm count.

Board gets wrathed, you play this with or without sacrificing a permanent, target opponent loses everything else in more cases than not. Should probably cost more than three or be more costly to you.

e: I love the general idea of this card and think it would work great if actually printed w/o Gravestorm, but wraths and sac outlets make this card a 3CMC Armageddon/Patrician's Scorn/Shatterstorm with buyback, IMO.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 10, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Something tells me that there's people who'd cast this even without using the Madness cost. I mean, Manamorphose was more easily playable than this, but I feel that it could still get pretty crazy in Vintage or Legacy Storm. Madness is not too hard to come by with any sort of Looting effect, or even Lion's Eye Diamond if you're feeling evil.

Actually, come to think of it, it could be pretty meh either way. You need at least two more spells to break even in terms of mana, but I figure it would go hand-in-hand with something like Pyromancer's Ascension, which would make things a whole lot easier.

E:
VVV: What if I made it uncastable normally? No mana cost, Ancestral Visions and the like?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 10, 2014

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Something tells me that there's people who'd cast this even without using the Madness cost. I mean, Manamorphose was more easily playable than this, but I feel that it could still get pretty crazy in Vintage or Legacy Storm. Madness is not too hard to come by with any sort of Looting effect, or even Lion's Eye Diamond if you're feeling evil.

Yeah, this would be like an insta-4-of in almost all storm decks, even in Modern. This is an incredibly powerful effect for basically no cost in those decks.
It would be a lot worse if it didn't draw you a card but you'd still see it played in most decks, I think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Storm is broken if it's on a card that does anything useful.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
I made a transforming weapon, not sure how to do the proper templating in MSE so they're two separate images.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
It's probably a bit late to say this, but whether a card is printable is a factor in my judging, so it's very unlikely a card that uses both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters is going to win. Not that they haven't been cool cards, it's just that that's something Wizards has been clear on generally wanting to avoid to minimize board complexity and memory issues.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

And with that in mind, here's my attempt to make mine a bit less broken:

Kind of wanted to be able to punish sweepers, but there you are. Also restricted the buyback cost to creatures, rather than letting you get rid of your spent lands or manarocks so you can recast it. But it's still probably too powerful, a wild swing into the enemy with 2-3 cheap creatures t3 that sees even one or two blocks will probably let you force them to get rid of half their permanents in the second main.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

And with that in mind, here's my attempt to make mine a bit less broken:

Kind of wanted to be able to punish sweepers, but there you are. Also restricted the buyback cost to creatures, rather than letting you get rid of your spent lands or manarocks so you can recast it. But it's still probably too powerful, a wild swing into the enemy with 2-3 cheap creatures t3 that sees even one or two blocks will probably let you force them to get rid of half their permanents in the second main.
I kinda like that tension, though - do I take out his weaker guys with my bigger blockers, setting up for this blowout?

Also, not sure if it's intentional, but Gravestorm doesn't really care if the permanent is still in the graveyard, so non-token just seems extraneous (and counterintuitive for people who aren't familiar with the mechanic)

Entropic posted:

Storm is broken
ftfy

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

I kinda like that tension, though - do I take out his weaker guys with my bigger blockers, setting up for this blowout?

Also, not sure if it's intentional, but Gravestorm doesn't really care if the permanent is still in the graveyard, so non-token just seems extraneous (and counterintuitive for people who aren't familiar with the mechanic)

ftfy

I imagine non-token is there so you have to sacrifice a real creature, not a 1/1 off bitterblossom or from lingering souls.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

That's not the reason, I wanted to prevent shenanigans from dispensing with worthless Eldrazi Spawn and Spirits and the like, since black has ways to get tokens from it's stuff dying. Offhand I would say Pawn of Ulamog, Bitterblossom, Lingering Souls and Teysa, Orzhov Scion are good reasons for that condition.

Edit: ^^ yeah that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It makes dolls, it makes more dolls when it has enough dolls to pitch in and help make dolls. Honestly more limited fodder than anything, but I can see it popping up in another Time Spiral-esque set.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
When is this round over? I've got a pretty good idea for a card for it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Ramos posted:

It makes dolls, it makes more dolls when it has enough dolls to pitch in and help make dolls. Honestly more limited fodder than anything, but I can see it popping up in another Time Spiral-esque set.

Magically created colourless Golems seem like they have a case for being artifacts.

Shavnir posted:

When is this round over? I've got a pretty good idea for a card for it.

Eeevil posted:

The deadline will be 7:00 p.m. next wednesday, CST.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Magically created colourless Golems seem like they have a case for being artifacts.

herp derp

Now fixed and working like it should be.

Meanwhile, combining ability words is a lot fun if a bit loose.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 11, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Imprint works as usual - card comes in, cards are exiled.

Chroma works mechanically as it always has, with the caveat that this particular trigger counts cards in exile.

Global mana accelerant. Pitch things you don't need to play things you do, but be careful - any player can make use of the mana you put in.

e: removed "non-artifact, nonland" clause and specified main phase.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 11, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

zgrowler2 posted:

Imprint works as usual - card comes in, cards are exiled.

Chroma works mechanically as it always has, with the caveat that this particular trigger counts cards in exile.

Global mana accelerant. Pitch things you don't need to play things you do, but be careful - any player can make use of the mana you put in.

You can probably just say "each player may exile a card from their hand," since no one will exile a land card just to -1 themselves and artifacts can have mana in their costs now.

Also, probably want it to say "first main phase" unless you want them getting the mana twice.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Edited accordingly, thanks!

Meanwhile, on Facebook:

:v: - "Reading dozens of cards with combined mechanics makes me think we need another Time Spiral block."

"Metalcraft- As long as you control three or more artifacts, spells you cast have affinity for artifacts." - :unsmigghh:

:v: - "I don't think we need it that badly."

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 11, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I doubt wizards would ever want to have anything to do with affinity ever again.

More fun with ability words, they really do leave a lot of room for doing whatever the hell you want.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Ramos posted:

I doubt wizards would ever want to have anything to do with affinity ever again.

You would be surprised, in his scars of mirrodin podcast maro said that affinity was originally in the design but they took it out because development thought the chance they screw it up again was non zero.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kabanaw posted:

You would be surprised, in his scars of mirrodin podcast maro said that affinity was originally in the design but they took it out because development thought the chance they screw it up again was non zero.

Didn't he say non-artifact affinity was a bit lower on the Storm Scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a creature in BNG that basically has "Affinity for your devotion to black". It's not a broken mechanic in of itself, it's affinity for artifacts, in an artifact-heavy set, with artifact lands, that was broken.

• Locked thread