Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

GyroNinja posted:

Is "Buyback 5" one word or two?

quote:

-Similarly, mana symbols, tap symbols and +X/+X are unrestricted.

And that card makes me very scared when I think of what it could do to a limited format at common. It would probably make me scared even without the buyback.

Oh, I meant to ask. Do you mean the (Tuesday/)Wednesday midnight or the Wednesday(/Thursday)midnight? 0001 or 2359?

Alris posted:

The deadline will be midnight next Wednesday, EST.

Content:

After that last burst of Fortification cards for the previous contest, I might be a wee bit obsessed with the mechanic now. :shobon:
I like the gradual progression on this from not needing specific mana colours to needing at least one Selesyna colour to needing both. I've dropped the costs from my fairly conservative start with this but I don't think it's unconscionably broken in this state.
A Selesnyan outpost in the Rubblebelt (ie Gruul territory) was used as a plot device in some of the Uncharted Realms vignettes circa RTR. It met a bloody end at Rakdos hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm sure there's a better way to word this that's still short, but makes more sense. Probably, "you may activate each planeswalker you control's loyalty abilities one additional time this turn" but whatever. DACK FAYDEN.

Since it's an oldschool payoff and drawback style artifact, I figured it needed the old frame. This is the kind of stuff that we don't get to see anymore because of Ken Nagle. At least we get the "pwnage" mechanic this summer. :(

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

And that card makes me very scared when I think of what it could do to a limited format at common. It would probably make me scared even without the buyback.

I'm pretty sure it's significantly worse than Capsize at common, but I'll admit that "worse than Capsize in limited" isn't saying very much. I'll probably change it to uncommon anyway, like Remand.

I think it would actually be worse than unsummon in limited without the buyback, though? Like, if you have an aggressive enough deck, and your opponent has a lot of 3+ mana noncreature spells, it could be good, but counterspells in general aren't as good in limited as they are in constructed, and without buyback this is straight card disadvantage.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Oh, I meant to ask. Do you mean the (Tuesday/)Wednesday midnight or the Wednesday(/Thursday)midnight? 0001 or 2359?

Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Alris posted:

Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.

On that note, might I mention now that your avatar is ridiculously loving mesmerizing, Alris?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Well this almost works:

Why isn't "This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay" remainder text? :saddowns:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Combo/weirdness enabler. And Planeshift on a card. First time a design in this contest really required me to think about reducing the number of words. Eventually I realised that nothing required me to say that all permanents were all colours and permanents probably served just as well.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 14, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

edit:

Let's see if Exile works any better...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 14, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I doubt this actually works, but hey...

Remove them to where? Ironically, exiling them would work, since they only function in the command zone, not in the exiled zone. You could probably also destroy them, since they would cease to exist when they were put in your graveyard and turned out not to be cards.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I doubt this actually works, but hey...

In addition to what Tharizdun said, there's only one command zone.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

This one seemed pretty obvious, although I'm not entirely sold on the casting cost.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

This might still be too good for modern, although I think most standard formats could handle it. (Legacy decks just shrug and go back to playing Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual).

Playtest name was "To the Pain".

I designed something similar to this in the red mythic contest way back, but couldn't get it to quite fit the restrictions.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Is seven too low for this? I'm not actually sure.

And since my first two ideas were mythics, here's something a bit less flashy. Black could use more exile effects, in my opinion.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Cool contest!

This might be too good in multiples but eh, when you absolutely need to find a card...

E: Ok one more.

Soothing Cacophony fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GyroNinja posted:

This might still be too good for modern, although I think most standard formats could handle it. (Legacy decks just shrug and go back to playing Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual).

Should be "Ghostfire Ritual" :cmon:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SimpsonsVisions did it!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Not actually identical. Bury - or rather what bury's turned into now that it's no longer a supported term - is not the same as destroy.

In honour of everyone hoping Faeries can now make its mark in Modern.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Not actually identical. Bury - or rather what bury's turned into now that it's no longer a supported term - is not the same as destroy.
"Buried" just means "destroyed and can't be regenerated". All the old cards have been errataed that way. Most of them had even older versions that were closer to the current wording anyway. "Bury" wasn't even introduced until Revised Edition.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

That was my point, yes. Destroy is not the same as destroy and they can't be regenerated.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Soothing Cacophony posted:

This might be too good in multiples but eh, when you absolutely need to find a card...
This can probably cost U, given the steep drawback.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

This can probably cost U, given the steep drawback.
No.
You play it in a deck that plans to end the game before the next turn. See Meditate.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleep of Bronze posted:

In honour of everyone hoping Faeries can now make its mark in Modern.

I just want to make sure you realize this card does nothing spliced onto a faerie creature spell. As instants and sorceries resolve they go through the instructions on the card, but when a permanent spell resolves it just turns into a permanent.

Also, effects that say "skip your next X" don't apply until they do. So if you have two cards that say "skip your next draw step" resolve, one would apply at your next draw step and the other would apply at the one after that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Shite, I keep buggering that up. Thanks.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Just because I really wanted to make an eight word planeswalker.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 14, 2014

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

GyroNinja posted:

Just because I really wanted to make an eight word planeswalker.

It bugged me that the populate ability didn't seem to fit, so I tried making my own. I can't figure out how to shave a word off this, though:

Just to check, the 2 in "deals 2 damage" counts as a word, right?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Eeevil posted:

It bugged me that the populate ability didn't seem to fit, so I tried making my own. I can't figure out how to shave a word off this, though:

Just to check, the 2 in "deals 2 damage" counts as a word, right?
That's an expensive Pyroclasm.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yay, references! Making it 3/6 might be too much but I'm not sure.

I just hope that one day the guilds will share mechanics...

FearlessRedBeard
Feb 9, 2014

Modernized Licids work right?

FearlessRedBeard fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 15, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin posted:

That's an expensive Pyroclasm.

It's a reusable pyroclasm that can slowly kill larger creatures.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Entropic posted:

It's a reusable pyroclasm that can slowly kill larger creatures.

While simultaneously diminishing your own board presence, and no ultimate "I win" button to build up to as almost all other planeswalkers do. Burn wouldn't want him because he doesn't hit players, and black-base control already has Liliana. He is definitely treading into interesting design space, but shoe-horning those abilities onto him to meet the 8-word limit is what's making him worse.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Now for something completely goofy.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

God I want this card.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Does the last ability affect Archenemy particularly? It feels like it should, with the other two doing what they do.

Fiddling with fundamentals of the game, yay! Since the vast majority of mana abilities are activated abilities, this is 99% of an offset Silence (edge cases where triggered abilities let you cast a spell without paying mana include Cipher) as well as shutting down all the more noticeable activated stuff from other permanents. Unlike Stifle, you can't Strip Mine a fetch with this because of the delay.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Does the last ability affect Archenemy particularly? It feels like it should, with the other two doing what they do.

Fiddling with fundamentals of the game, yay! Since the vast majority of mana abilities are activated abilities, this is 99% of an offset Silence (edge cases where triggered abilities let you cast a spell without paying mana include Cipher) as well as shutting down all the more noticeable activated stuff from other permanents. Unlike Stifle, you can't Strip Mine a fetch with this because of the delay.

I see this as being really useful by playing EoT on someone when you have a game winning play next turn, in order to make sure that they can't interrupt it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Storm status: Still OP.
Although I do have one word left... Maybe I could make it even more OP. Two storms, make it cost another 4-5 mana? :v:
I'm an idiot, nevermind.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 15, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Serperoth posted:

Storm status: Still OP.
Although I do have one word left... Maybe I could make it even more OP. Two storms, make it cost another 4-5 mana? :v:

You may want to count once more.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Sleep of Bronze posted:

How did I miss Archenemy? Version 2:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I don't know that his -7 works quite right.

Jank is fun and all, but if you're going janky... Why not just make a cycle of Floops that deals with each particular variant? :getin:

Though with the 8-word restriction that might be better served for another time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Archenemy player's screwed enough as it is. Do we really need to further demoralize him or her? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

64bitrobot posted:

I see this as being really useful by playing EoT on someone when you have a game winning play next turn, in order to make sure that they can't interrupt it.
Sure, but these kinds of cards tend to look better than they are. Let's take Silence/Orim's Chant which is the obvious point of comparison. Triple the mana cost, multiple colours, double white are fairly significant, especially if you're in, say, Storm which generally doesn't produce WW naturally and would prefer to keep its methods for doing so to its actual Storm turn. It doesn't take up your mana for your combo turn if your deck does pull off WWU adroitly though. And it hoses some hate but not others: if they're playing triggered/static stuff like RiP or Grafdiggers' Cage, nothing's happening; if they're on Relic of Progenitus or Tormod's Crypt, they're in less good shape. I did also check through a reasonable number of Modern/Legacy combo decks for the last couple of months on SCG, and Silence and Orim's Chant just aren't being played. Xantid Swarm is the sideboarded spell of choice for that kind of hate.

But let's be frank and say that's all analysis from a filthy casual whose most profound connection to eternal formats is "I watch some coverage sometimes" and I could be completely wrong. :shobon:

Though while we're speaking of me being stupid ...

I want to make a version of this that makes spells cost some absurd number and gain affinity for artifacts because that would be dumb and funny. I think the new Classic restrictions on MTGO briefly sparked something in my brain regarding Workshop/Prison/Stax artifact decks.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domina, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace.

• Locked thread