Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

I considered making the level up cost 1S, but I'm pretty sure that mechanic should just stay buried.

Good for enabling madness and hellbent, or if you just think your opponent needs his cards in hand more than you.

Invasion-style multicolored counterspell.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

I checked and I don't think anything like this exists, though it might not work with the most recent legend rule change. Needs a "Highlander" super type maybe.

This was almost a charm, but just one "or" too many.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. :( Looking at Baneslayer Angel's Oracle text, the wording would be "protection from Angels and from Demons", which is one word above the cutoff. Shame, I love the idea of it.
I did make a draft of a Demon part of the 'cycle', with flying, lifelink and deathtouch, which is how I found out.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Serperoth posted:

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. :( Looking at Baneslayer Angel's Oracle text, the wording would be "protection from Angels and from Demons", which is one word above the cutoff. Shame, I love the idea of it.
I did make a draft of a Demon part of the 'cycle', with flying, lifelink and deathtouch, which is how I found out.

drat. I was hoping the second "from" was optional, but I suppose I can tweak the card and sacrifice some flavor.

May still fit the flavor text since he only hits your board on ETB. Less "not giving a poo poo about supernatural things" flavor, but slightly more dragon-y.

e: card inspired by (but not admissible to) this week's contest.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ideas for next week:

-Create a new subtype. Enchantment subtype, creature type, whatever. A new thing.

-Offer a traditionally good thing as a bad thing (such as Volcano Hellion)

-Tribe Wars! Winner picks a tribe, everyone riff on that theme (Merfolk or Illusions or whatever). Sometimes it's interesting to see what space is still left.

-Subtle Hosers. We've come a long way from Wrath of Marit Lage and Absolute Law. Let's see what the current state of color hate looks like.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Heh, I made that card for the colorshifting challenge. Decided against protection for the last ability, though, since I did't like it as much on a non-white card.

Anyway, his idea totally works if he wants it to have protection from Dan Brown novels! :v:

:content edit:

Speaking of colorshifts, this is sort of like a colorshifted Rage Nimbus, if you squint really hard. (That wasn't actually the inspiration, though).

This was originally a free spell I came up with during that challenge, but it tweaks into a flashback spell nicely. The idea was that normally you couldn't make Divination into a U/R flashback spell, since "Draw two cards" isn't a red effect. But once you add discarding to the flashback cost, suddenly it is!

This is a card where the mechanics came before the flavor, but I like giving the untap ability to a Hydra, since it represents how difficult fighting something with so many heads would be. You might think that it's vulnerable, but another one of its heads is actually rearing back to Prey Upon you.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 18, 2014

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Get hosed spellhavers. Not the kind of card green gets all that often, but I think it fits, especially if you think of it as an extension of the more common counterspell hate cards.

vvv Good call, I didn't even know silence had that reminder text.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 18, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eeevil posted:

Get hosed spellhavers. Not the kind of card green gets all that often, but I think it fits, especially if you think of it as an extension of the more common counterspell hate cards.

I like this, but maybe add the reminder text from Silence, because Flash and the other text are non-intuitive as far as countering goes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I was hoping to find fanart of Tarmogoyf getting sucked into a black hole or something, but I guess I'll settle for bread lines.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I was hoping to find fanart of Tarmogoyf getting sucked into a black hole or something, but I guess I'll settle for bread lines.

This would probably send the market into a tail-spin: players trying to buy cards that are cheaper than 10 dollars, except they increase demand for the card which increases the price of the card which invalidates buying the card in the first place! :aaaaa:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ Really it just makes it so that StarCity Games decided which cards sell.

Here's some fun for the upcoming Journey...

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Just a reminder, today (Wednesday) is the last day of the contest, so finish up your submissions! I'll try to announce the results early Thursday morning.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I got bored at work and made a cycle of fatties.

The main idea is that they're easily splashable if you just need a big body, but require a greater a color commitment to take full advantage of. To highlight this tension, it would probably make the most sense to print them in a multicolor set, which is part of how I decided on the white one's keyword. Power level is mostly aimed at limited and casual formats, although it isn't going to bother me if they're standard playable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eeevil posted:

The main idea is that they're easily splashable if you just need a big body, but require a greater a color commitment to take full advantage of. To highlight this tension, it would probably make the most sense to print them in a multicolor set, which is part of how I decided on the white one's keyword. Power level is mostly aimed at limited and casual formats, although it isn't going to bother me if they're standard playable.
Ruinous Colossus is good as fuk. Double Strike is actually a lot stronger than most people think, it's effectively another form of Infect.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

Ruinous Colossus is good as fuk. Double Strike is actually a lot stronger than most people think, it's effectively another form of Infect.

Yeah, probably. That guy should maybe be a bit smaller, but I figure It's not really a bigger life swing than you can get with any of the others except the blue one.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Antagonistic white meant to act as targeted removal or nullification for small-to-mid-size creatures.

e: changed flavor text on Dungeon Ecology's recommendation.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 20, 2014

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

I considered a more expensive version that made only a single player sacrifice, but this felt more in line with the original power level of the spellshapers.

This card probably isn't good, but its definitely mean. Originally this was a BBB enchantment but I thought it was a fairer card if it was easier to interact with.

The mana cost might be too high here, but it's a pretty brutal effect.

Changing this card because, thinking about it, I'm not actually sure if Red can discard 1, draw 2 from the graveyard, since it's technically card advantage. Here's a slightly cheaper version that cost two cards to flashback.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GyroNinja posted:

Changing this card because, thinking about it, I'm not actually sure if Red can discard 1, draw 2 from the graveyard, since it's technically card advantage. Here's a slightly cheaper version that cost two cards to flashback.
Because the "discard 2" is part of its cost, you have nothing to worry about, it's a lovely red looting card, just like Wild Guess.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Because the "discard 2" is part of its cost, you have nothing to worry about, it's a lovely red looting card, just like Wild Guess.

Right, that's the new version. The old version is still somewhere earlier on the page, and it costs 2UU but has Flashback 1R, Discard a Card instead. My concern was that Wild Guess is fine, since it costs you the card in hand and a second card to draw two cards, but when it has flashback, it's only costing you one card to draw two, which red isn't supposed to be able to do. Note how Desperate Ravings costs red to cast, but blue to flashback.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Here's the loving as-fan winner, of all time. Probably a bit underpowered, but whatever.

(Correct wording would be, "If you have the highest life total, you win the game" but that's 11 words.)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

One last card.

Tharizdun posted:

Here's the loving as-fan winner, of all time. Probably a bit underpowered, but whatever.

(Correct wording would be, "If you have the highest life total, you win the game" but that's 11 words.)

Actually, I think it would be even longer: "If you have the highest life total among all players, you win the game."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:haw:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

zgrowler2 posted:

Antagonistic white meant to act as targeted removal or nullification for small-to-mid-size creatures.

Missed a good opportunity for flavor text to say "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

The most flavorful word on this card is "another."

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 20, 2014

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Missed a good opportunity for flavor text to say "How appropriate. You fight like a cow."

Shamefully, I am no connoisseur of Monkey Island. I can rectify the quote, though; that is a better one. Much obliged.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 20, 2014

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
:siren:TIME FOR THE RESULTS:siren:

This was a really tough one to call, and I could easily add another few cards onto this list that would be completely deserved.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Dumb, fun, and the perfect embodiment of Planechase/Commander/Archenemy.

Oh my :3:

I like this guy a lot, but even with the card discard I cant help but feel he's undercosted. I totally dig the idea though.

Messing with emblems isn't something that exists in Magic (I think?), and this would be a totally believable way to piss in someone's cereal.

Missed the top 3 by the skin of its teeth.

THIRD PLACE

Hunt Them Down

Kills stuff and kills it hard. No muss, no fuss. Tharizdun said it best when he called it "a flavor-name-game text win."

SECOND PLACE

Darksteel Nullifier

Null Rod's bigger, more aggravating brother. You can't help but admire it's raw bluntness. "Congratulations, your artifacts are now paperweights". I love it.

FIRST PLACE

Crannling Magehunter

I couldn't say no. It's well priced, well named, has abilities that synchronize and brings a smile to the face of young and old alike. I was tempted to pick someone else due to you having hosted the last design challenge, but that would be dishonest, and Crannling Magehunter deserves this win.

Congratulations Eeevil! And great work all!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Alris posted:

Congratulations Eeevil! And great work all!

Wow, thanks! I felt good about that card, but even so I wasn't really expecting to win again so soon. I'll post the next challenge in the morning.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

This week's theme:

Villains!

Magic has told many different stories over the years and each of those stories has had some kind of antagonist. Your task is to create the primary antagonist for a fictional block.

Guidlines

1. Since your card is representing a unique entity, it should either be a legend or a planeswalker.

2. Since your card has a key role in the story of the block, it should be a mythic rare that feels appropriately splashy and exciting.

3. Try to make your card as flavorful as possible.

Example villain cards:

Deadline will be 9:00 p.m. next thursday, CST.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eeevil posted:

This week's theme:

Villains!

Magic has told many different stories over the years and each of those stories has had some kind of antagonist. Your task is to create the primary antagonist for a fictional block.

Guidlines

What about Timeshifting, to give people a little more room? If I come up with a "Timeshifted" Squee card that turns him into a villain, is that still "on theme"?

And to be clear, we're coming up with a new villain? Or a new take on an existing big bad like Konda ?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 20, 2014

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

What about Timeshifting, to give people a little more room? If I come up with a "Timeshifted" Squee card that turns him into a villain, is that still "on theme"?

Sure, it's fine if you use an existing character as long as you feel like you can make them feel like a major villain.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Someone make a Yawgmoth card

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Alright, let's get this train wreck a-rollin'.

The core villain of a hypothetical block designed by Blizzard where it's revealed that not only are the other elder dragons alive, they (excluding Bolas) are pawns to the planeswalker Arcades Gannon Sabboth, who has a devoted cult/religion surrounding him in his quest to exert control over the multiverse.
I wanted this guy to be a 'walker similar in power to Bolas himself, so he hits all the core abilities a planeswalker should have with a lot of power behind them. His +2 protects him or draws cards with either usually being a favorable outcome, his +0 is a serious deterrent for attacking him, and the good ol' game-winning -9. Sorin may think he's hot poo poo for controlling a player for just a turn, but Sabboth's influence is strong enough to keep a hold of a player for the rest of the game.
Like how Bolas wants to be in Grixis control, Sabboth is most at home in Bant control, keeping the board state safe and drawing you cards until you shut down your opponent, one way or another.

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 20, 2014

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Someone make a Yawgmoth card

Might still need some work, it was a delicate balance between the ability winning the game on the spot, or gimping it horribly.

:edit: Forgot the artist credit and Phyrexian watermark.

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 20, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The core villain of a hypothetical block designed by Blizzard where it's revealed that not only are the other elder dragons alive, they (excluding Bolas) are pawns to the planeswalker Arcades Gannon

:golfclap:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I've had FO:NV on the mind lately :v:

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

q != e

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The core villain of a hypothetical block designed by Blizzard where it's revealed that not only are the other elder dragons alive, they (excluding Bolas) are pawns to the planeswalker Arcades Gannon Sabboth, who has a devoted cult/religion surrounding him in his quest to exert control over the multiverse.
I wanted this guy to be a 'walker similar in power to Bolas himself, so he hits all the core abilities a planeswalker should have with a lot of power behind them. His +2 protects him or draws cards with either usually being a favorable outcome, his +0 is a serious deterrent for attacking him, and the good ol' game-winning -9. Sorin may think he's hot poo poo for controlling a player for just a turn, but Sabboth's influence is strong enough to keep a hold of a player for the rest of the game.
Like how Bolas wants to be in Grixis control, Sabboth is most at home in Bant control, keeping the board state safe and drawing you cards until you shut down your opponent, one way or another.

Edicts ain't in green, white, or blue's part of the color pie. If you want the first ability to cause creature sacrifice maybe try something out with putting celestial flare on a planeswalker, otherwise I would stick to tapping, exiling, fighting, or mirrored sacrifice.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

GyroNinja posted:

Might still need some work, it was a delicate balance between the ability winning the game on the spot, or gimping it horribly.

:edit: Forgot the artist credit and Phyrexian watermark.

I love the Yawgmoth's Agenda effect. Now add Yawgmoth's Bargain. And devotion to Phyrexian. And make him a god :getin:

Here's an idea I've been tossing around.

I kind of like the idea of a story/set/block where the main opposing force is bureaucracy, maybe some evil kingdom controlling everything or something. But mostly bureaucracy. The Azorius kind of have it covered, but there's still probably enough out there to make a set out of. The idea behind the mechanic is to make it more and more difficult for your opponent to do things, but not actually stopping them completely. I'm not sure how well this would work though, both within the rules and in an actual game. Probably wouldn't be a popular commander though :v:

Here's some other cards to show off the general idea of the setting.

I think the mechanic might be a bit too complicated to be able to put at common. It certainly doesn't leave much room for flavor text.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleepy Owl posted:

I love the Yawgmoth's Agenda effect. Now add Yawgmoth's Bargain. And devotion to Phyrexian. And make him a god :getin:

Here's an idea I've been tossing around.

I kind of like the idea of a story/set/block where the main opposing force is bureaucracy, maybe some evil kingdom controlling everything or something. But mostly bureaucracy. The idea is to make it more and more difficult for your opponent to do things, but not actually stopping them completely. I'm not sure how well this would work though, both within the rules and in an actual game. Probably wouldn't be a popular commander though :v:

Here's some other cards to show off the general idea of the setting.

I think the mechanic might be a bit too complicated to be able to put at common. It certainly doesn't leave much room for flavor text.

I think this is a really cool mechanic, I just think it might cause too many memory issues. Most mechanics all either have the same input or the same output, meaning they all trigger on the same thing or they all do the same thing when they resolve. It makes it so you only have to remember half as much information about every card. Since this mechanic is very flavorful - you set a rule and then there's a consequence if it's broken - I'd want to play with it first before deciding if it causes too many problems.

• Locked thread