Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I think it'd work a lot better if it were templated like Leonin Arbiter. Make each action impossible, then your opponents can pay the associated cost to ignore the effect for a turn. It "feels" more like you're bribing the ruler than paying a penalty but I think it works better rules-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

I think this is a really cool mechanic, I just think it might cause too many memory issues. Most mechanics all either have the same input or the same output, meaning they all trigger on the same thing or they all do the same thing when they resolve. It makes it so you only have to remember half as much information about every card. Since this mechanic is very flavorful - you set a rule and then there's a consequence if it's broken - I'd want to play with it first before deciding if it causes too many problems.

I don't think it works as an ability word, either. I think it needs to be a proper keyword or else there's no way to say "when the ruling is broken" in rules-speak.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sleepy Owl posted:

I kind of like the idea of a story/set/block where the main opposing force is bureaucracy, maybe some evil kingdom controlling everything or something. But mostly bureaucracy. The Azorius kind of have it covered, but there's still probably enough out there to make a set out of. The idea behind the mechanic is to make it more and more difficult for your opponent to do things, but not actually stopping them completely. I'm not sure how well this would work though, both within the rules and in an actual game. Probably wouldn't be a popular commander though :v:

This guy's absolutely insane. If any opponent violates the ruling, you get to steal all of everyone else's permanents, then get to take all but 10 permanents from the opponent who actually committed the violation.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

Edicts ain't in green, white, or blue's part of the color pie. If you want the first ability to cause creature sacrifice maybe try something out with putting celestial flare on a planeswalker, otherwise I would stick to tapping, exiling, fighting, or mirrored sacrifice.

Y'know, I could have sworn that edicts were white. :downs:
Changed that a little bit. Same effect, better flavor.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Vomax posted:

I think it'd work a lot better if it were templated like Leonin Arbiter. Make each action impossible, then your opponents can pay the associated cost to ignore the effect for a turn. It "feels" more like you're bribing the ruler than paying a penalty but I think it works better rules-wise.
That's actually what I really wanted to avoid. I don't want the mechanic to be able to completely lock out an opponent. As it is, the opponent would want to avoid the rulings, but they would still be able to play through them if they wanted to.

GyroNinja posted:

I don't think it works as an ability word, either. I think it needs to be a proper keyword or else there's no way to say "when the ruling is broken" in rules-speak.
It's kind of hard to keyword it elegantly though.

What I was sort of going for with this mechanic was that you'd gradually build up so many rulings that your opponent would find themselves in a bureaucratic minefield. I'll admit that this is probably way too complex though, and might be just as unfun as simply not letting your opponent play anything. v:shobon:v Might be worth trying to simplify, but eeh I'll get to it later

U-DO Burger posted:

This guy's absolutely insane. If any opponent violates the ruling, you get to steal all of everyone else's permanents, then get to take all but 10 permanents from the opponent who actually committed the violation.
Banned in Commander :v:

Does this fix it?

I'm not a fan of the ultimate. In 1v1 it's basically an inelegant instant kill, and in multiplayer it might be even worse.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Ruling mechanic stuff

:swoon:

Oh heck yes, I would play the poo poo out of a mechanic like this. This just makes the control side of my brain so happy to watch in action.

Speaking of which:

White has always been a cooler villain color to me. Yeah, black does it more often and what not, but white is such a better tyrant. It does things in a warped but clearly understandable as fair and just manner from its point of view. In this case, bow in the presence of God or suffer the consequences. The "sacrifice everything" is just there for a flavor as Metatron, in the Shin Megami Tensei series, is shown to be really, really ruthless. Law, in general, is rather nuke happy.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 24, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Sleepy Owl posted:

I love the Yawgmoth's Agenda effect. Now add Yawgmoth's Bargain. And devotion to Phyrexian. And make him a god :getin:

With the Agenda/Will effect in play, he's already got pay 1 life to draw a card.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

With the Agenda/Will effect in play, he's already got pay 1 life to draw a card.

Oh, I'm dumb. That's clever.

Ramos posted:

Oh heck yes, I would play the poo poo out of a mechanic like this. This just makes the control side of my brain so happy to watch in action.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Time to return to Lorwyn. I wonder if valuing beauty above their humanity has come back to bite the Gilt-Leaf elves in the shapely behind yet?

Welp, looks like they're still just kicking people out left and right, even moving on to executions. I hope there's nobody who could take these wayward elves in and teach them to survi-

Oh, well a kindly old swamp man. That's fine, they'll just live in isolation. Everything should be fine unless someone with a burning rage comes along to unite them and take down the Gilt-Leaf.

Well, gently caress

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Mostly stuff from my flavour folder that seemed to fit the challenge. I'll start making cards actually intended for the contest tomorrow I guess.

Ayumi, The Last Visitor was the focus of last Kamigawa vignette. And it painted a loving terrifying picture of her which was done a grave disservice by the real card. So here she is as if she'd got to be a full on GB block villain. End the world so it can begin again.

Ayumi surveyed her work and nodded. It had begun in Fudaiju, but it would not end there. The Kami War would end. The balance between mortals and immortals would be restored. It would take time, yes, but Ayumi was known for her undying patience. Fudaiju was a worthy beginning.

And when she had finished, when she had torn Konda's heart from his chest and watched its last shuddering movement, she would show mercy. Ayumi, the Last Visitor, would leave two human children alive to learn Konda's lesson. Only then, she had decided, could the mortals begin their world again.

Four coloured mana for a 0/1 mythic? Could be worse. I'm glad Wheel of Fortune effects are red or blue.

Ni Dieu, Ni Maître is a cry for our world. When you've been in the presence of gods, served as their right hand, your defiance takes on a different edge. Xenagos is of course serving something of the same chaotic, deicidic antagonist role in Theros right now. "Skotophor" honestly because he started as a Phosphor, needed to stop being a Lucifer/Lightbringer when I flavoured him into B/R instead of W/B, and a Nyk- root seemed to close to current block so I had to think up a synonym. As it happens, a skotos/lux dichotomy is probably better than nyx/lux, nyx being a more technical opposite to dies, but that was something I only through of later. Happy coincidences.
This is way better art than Clint Cearley usually puts in for Magic IMO.

Some of the recent speculation on Mongol themed trademarks registered by Wizards, combined with a mechanic I thought up a couple of contests ago and couldn't quite fit into the theme, turned into this card. Fucks up most regen as well as cleanup step damage removal. The quote is about our real world Güyük, from Rashid al-Din's history.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 21, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mostly stuff from my flavour folder that seemed to fit the challenge. I'll start making cards actually intended for the contest tomorrow I guess.

Just to be clear, they can only save two permanents, period, because they have to sac all their lands (and can't pick lands to save), then you go on the offensive with a 6/6? And it's "cast" not "EtB" because you want to be sure you get the one-side wrath-a-geddon? And the lands they sac provide them no floating mana (because their CMC is 0)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Some of the recent speculation on Mongol themed trademarks registered by Wizards, combined with a mechanic I thought up a couple of contests ago and couldn't quite fit into the theme, turned into this card. Fucks up most regen as well as cleanup step damage removal. The quote is about our real world Güyük, from Rashid al-Din's history.
Why not just have sources you control gain Wither?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Tharizdun posted:

Just to be clear, they can only save two permanents, period, because they have to sac all their lands (and can't pick lands to save), then you go on the offensive with a 6/6? And it's "cast" not "EtB" because you want to be sure you get the one-side wrath-a-geddon? And the lands they sac provide them no floating mana (because their CMC is 0)
As I intended that wording to work, they choose two nonland permanents to not sac and sac all their other nonland permanents. Lands are safe. Cast because gently caress reanimator, not because gently caress counterspells. At that casting cost, I'm more worried about it being broken by the first, not immunity to the second.

quote:

Why not just have sources you control gain Wither?
Because this is more fun! Damage not being removed is probably ever so slightly more powerful because an opponent might theoretically have a way to remove -1/-1 counters, but really it's the fun of messing with the normal rules.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

As I intended that wording to work, they choose two nonland permanents to not sac and sac all their other nonland permanents. Lands are safe. Cast because gently caress reanimator, not because gently caress counterspells.
Your card does not do that, it has the opponent sacrifice all permanents except for two, which must be non-land. You'd need it to say "target opponent chooses two permanents they control, then sacrifices all other non-land permanents, {Shizuko mana thing clause}"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Because this is more fun! Damage not being removed is probably ever so slightly more powerful because an opponent might theoretically have a way to remove -1/-1 counters, but really it's the fun of messing with the normal rules.

Eh, strikes me as a massive headache more than anything, to be thoroughly honest. Particularly when this is going to be played in EDH, where it will be competing with actual counters.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

Your card does not do that, it has the opponent sacrifice all permanents except for two, which must be non-land. You'd need it to say "target opponent chooses two permanents they control, then sacrifices all other non-land permanents, {Shizuko mana thing clause}"

Bugger. Oh well, fixed. Thanks.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

We got ourselves a Metatron, why not MEGATRON? :v:

Although he doesn't transform, which does sound a bit like a flaw.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Serperoth posted:

We got ourselves a Metatron, why not MEGATRON? :v:

Although he doesn't transform, which does sound a bit like a flaw.

What if you had him flip transform between the two at the end of turn?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

64bitrobot posted:

What if you had him flip transform between the two at the end of turn?

That could work. But I thought that double-faced cards were supposed to be pretty different.

VV: That's interesting, but again, aren't double-faced cards supposed to do different things? Like Delver is a wimpy guy, Insectile Aberration is a bug monster?
But I'm growing fonder of the idea by the post though...

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 21, 2014

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You could make one side tutor and the other side cheat it into play.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
EDIT:

No one escapes the Phyrexians.

Edit: ˅˅ Fixed, I was lazy. ˅˅

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Serperoth posted:

That could work. But I thought that double-faced cards were supposed to be pretty different.

VV: That's interesting, but again, aren't double-faced cards supposed to do different things? Like Delver is a wimpy guy, Insectile Aberration is a bug monster?
But I'm growing fonder of the idea by the post though...

It would be doing a significantly different thing. In car mode, he can deliver the dudes you need to hand. In humanoid form, he just straight up tells them to get their asses on out onto the battlefield. The major thing would be making him interesting to flip between, since you have a Huntmaster of the Fells scenario there.

Thor-Stryker posted:

No one escapes the Phyrexians.

4/4 hexproof with infect on turn 2 for any color? I'll take four.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

A Book of Revelations set is probably on the short list, right?

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 21, 2014

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

I think the rules text would work as is, but I'm not sure if something needs to be changed. The card was inspired by something allegedly said by Mother Teresa regarding peoples suffering bringing them closer to Jesus.

Also, it's tough making a white bad guy (girl) :negative:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alris posted:

I think the rules text would work as is, but I'm not sure if something needs to be changed. The card was inspired by something allegedly said by Mother Teresa regarding peoples suffering bringing them closer to Jesus.

Also, it's tough making a white bad guy (girl) :negative:

I think you need to use the templating from the oracle wording on Temper to make this work. Edit: Or are you trying to create tension by allowing the player to *not* prevent damage in exchange for a reward later in the turn?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The latter, the idea is you'd let your beefy guys drop to one and get rewarded for it in your end step. Sucks to be an X/1 but hey, at least you die for something :twisted:.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

Speaking of which:

White has always been a cooler villain color to me. Yeah, black does it more often and what not, but white is such a better tyrant. It does things in a warped but clearly understandable as fair and just manner from its point of view. In this case, bow in the presence of God or suffer the consequences. The "sacrifice everything" is just there for a flavor as Metatron, in the Shin Megami Tensei series, is shown to be really, really ruthless. Law, in general, is rather nuke happy.

You could just give players Indictment counters a la poison counters. There's no rules reason why you can't use an emblem, but emblems a) have been established as a planeswalker thing and b) tend to do something.

Also, "sac everything" is basically "lose the game" anyway, so you could ditch the "and loses the game" part without a significant loss of power.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

You could just give players Indictment counters a la poison counters. There's no rules reason why you can't use an emblem, but emblems a) have been established as a planeswalker thing and b) tend to do something.

Also, "sac everything" is basically "lose the game" anyway, so you could ditch the "and loses the game" part without a significant loss of power.

I suppose that works, though it makes the whole proliferate thing questionable. Well, it probably won't affect his power level too much anyway.

Sacrifice everything and then lose is meant as flavor. Law in Shin Megami Tensei nukes everything that stands against it and then sends you to hell for eternity. In that order. Also, I suppose there are some combo things you can do with that.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 24, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Ramos posted:

I suppose that works, though it makes the whole proliferate thing questionable. Well, it probably won't affect his power level too much anyway.

Sacrifice everything and then lose is meant as flavor. Law in Shin Megami Tensei nukes everything that stands against it and then sends you to hell for eternity. In that order. Also, I suppose there are some combo things you can do with that.

But "loses the game" is really boring. Why not something like can't cast spells or play lands for the rest of the game? Still captures the feeling of going to hell for eternity since you're locked up forever.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

But "loses the game" is really boring. Why not something like can't cast spells or play lands for the rest of the game? Still captures the feeling of going to hell for eternity since you're locked up forever.

I like that, infinitely merciful and cruel.

I changed sacrifice to exile and made it so that player can't play cards at all.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Two versions of the same dude, I really wasn't sure which one to go with in terms of power levels. Either way, I do like the idea of just having a blood knight who exists to kill and enjoys being around bloodshed. He's not super villain levels of dangerous or flashy, but he's that constant wrench in the works that you cannot reason with.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I assume the "other" is ham-fistedly stapled onto his ultimate ability in order to prevent his owner from sacrificing him?

I'd probably start his loyalty at 3, have a -2, and ult at -7 with "Each other player chooses three permanents they control, then sacrifices the rest. Creatures sacrificed this way do not add Loyalty to ~."

Planewalker ultimates should feel ultimate - Liliana tears up your opponent's board, Jace demolishes their deck (or casts their best thing), Nicol Bolas decimates an enemy, etc. - there's no reason to intentionally gimp a design with a drawback just because you could potentially wrath-effect him to ultimate level quickly.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I assume the "other" is ham-fistedly stapled onto his ultimate ability in order to prevent his owner from sacrificing him?

I'd probably start his loyalty at 3, have a -2, and ult at -7 with "Each other player chooses three permanents they control, then sacrifices the rest. Creatures sacrificed this way do not add Loyalty to ~."

Planewalker ultimates should feel ultimate - Liliana tears up your opponent's board, Jace demolishes their deck (or casts their best thing), Nicol Bolas decimates an enemy, etc. - there's no reason to intentionally gimp a design with a drawback just because you could potentially wrath-effect him to ultimate level quickly.

The ultimate level power on that guy actually forces him to die: the owner has to pick three permanents other than him, and sacrifice the rest.

I'm curious as to why he's red/white in addition to black? All of his abilities are Black related (gain power on death, destroy/no regenerate, sacrifice stuff). As is, he's probably undercosted because red/black can fill him up in a turn with a damnation/firestorm level board clear effect.

That said, he's HILARIOUS with grave pact.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I'm not sure how much more ultimate you can get than cleaning off the entire board. The other, as Bahumat said, is there to ensure he dies as part of the flavor and to keep him from eternally cleaning the board on his own.

Bahumat posted:

The ultimate level power on that guy actually forces him to die: the owner has to pick three permanents other than him, and sacrifice the rest.

I'm curious as to why he's red/white in addition to black? All of his abilities are Black related (gain power on death, destroy/no regenerate, sacrifice stuff). As is, he's probably undercosted because red/black can fill him up in a turn with a damnation/firestorm level board clear effect.

That said, he's HILARIOUS with grave pact.

He's a bit of homage to a variety of things. First off, yes, he's very black in the ability that he grows stronger from things dying. That's to set up the motif here with a downward spiral of destruction with this guy.

His second ability is Terminate. Yes, black gets occasion kill with no regeneration, but there's more or less always a conditional clause attached to it. This guy is supposed to be the combination of colors all about making things dead and silent. However, as you'll notice, he cannot profit or break even from the ability in any sort of manner despite gaining loyalty from things dying. He's addicted to the concept of death so much so that its literally killing him.

The third ability is Razia's Purification, slightly modified for who he is. His ultimate involves mutual destruction because at this point, he's been pleased by mutual destruction on both sides. He gets swept up in it too because the entire thing serves as a crescendo for him in terms of watching destruction.

Yes, black is about death, but it's not the only color that deals with it. White is similarly happy to flatten things out to non-existence and red serves as the emotion glue to taking delight in the matter. Everything about the guy is meant to be unsustainable and finite as even his ability to recharge is limited by everything just being dead after a while.

Either way, the whole "sacrifice up to ultimate" doesn't bother me because you need quite the board position to do that in the first place, in which case it becomes a major trade off for something like EDH. Otherwise, it can easily serve as a tactical finisher in a regular match of Magic where you have to work him up to that.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 22, 2014

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Basically a really messed up form of Social Darwinism. The strong get stronger by killing the weak :unsmigghh: The flavor here is meant to be that he takes all your guys and they all go and gang up on some poor schmuck.

I don't know if fighting works with more than two creatures, but I suppose I could always just unkeyword it.
Like so

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 27, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

So I was thinking about which color combinations haven't had a villain yet and I realized green-white hadn't had any. I wondered what a white green villain would look like, se I thought about the negative attributes of green and white. I realized that really, the colors of a cult are white and green. A community that is bound together by its unthinking devotion to a person, idea, or entity. So I made a cult master:

Oh! I just remembered I have words to say about something.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Y'know, I could have sworn that edicts were white. :downs:
Changed that a little bit. Same effect, better flavor.

So that middle ability right now is, unfortunately, really boring. It just puts your planeswalker in stasis, basically. Why would I attack it? All that would happen is I lose my creature. The winning move is always to just ignore it any turn that it uses its 0 ability. If you don't prevent the damage from the creature? Well then it gets interesting. Then your opponent has a choice - lose my creatures for a while and get rid of the planeswalker or ignore it? Then actual decisions are factored into the ability which means not only will it be more fun but it will help to advance the gamestate.

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 22, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Small quibble: On the first ability, you need to grant the creature the ability "Can't attack or block," or you run into memory issues. The easiest way to do this is by just decoupling the Doctrine counter from the effect. So,

Creatures with Doctrine counters on them can't attack or block.
1W,T: Put a doctrine counter on target creature.
1G,T: Target creature with a doctrine counter fights target creature.

The 'old way' to do it is with the oracle wording from Musician, which is clunky as gently caress.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Small quibble: On the first ability, you need to grant the creature the ability "Can't attack or block," or you run into memory issues. The easiest way to do this is by just decoupling the Doctrine counter from the effect. So,

The 'old way' to do it is with the oracle wording from Musician, which is clunky as gently caress.

The way I formatted it has been done multiple times before. See Xathrid Gorgon or Obsidian Fireheart. The reminder that the creature can't attack or block is the doctrine counter sitting on the creature.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

That's what the doctrine counter is there for, to avoid memory issues, as well as to maintain the effect even if Coshic leaves the battlefield. This way the creature can't attack or block, AND has a counter on it, which serves as memory aid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

The way I formatted it has been done multiple times before. See Xathrid Gorgon or Obsidian Fireheart.
Actually, Obsidian Fireheart is the method I described, where you're adding text to a card rather than stating something is true. Point taken about the Xathrid Gorgon, however.

quote:

The reminder that the creature can't attack or block is the doctrine counter sitting on the creature.
As a minor flavor bonus, my method does make so that when your cult leader isn't around (on the battlefield), the doctrine wears off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearlessRedBeard
Feb 9, 2014

Don't know if the blue ability fits, but I was trying to base it off the text on Brine Shaman and the possibility that Marit is, or likes Krakens.

• Locked thread