Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

I present, for the consideration of Congress, a piece of legislation:

The Act to Strengthen the Nation, Solve Economic Woes, and Birth Many Sons through Migrant Labor and Concubinage

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Enomoto Takeashi

I quote in full the bill presented by Katsu Kaishu to me. This bill I support, to attach it to a bill banning marriage between foreigners and Japanese however, should be separate.

quote:

The Act to Strengthen the Nation, Solve Economic Woes, and Birth Many Sons through Migrant Labor and Concubinage

Recognizing that necessary labor to properly cultivate the land is not present, that prices for labor are increasing, and samurai and merchant alike suffer under the status quo;

THE CONGRESS of the EZO REPUBLIC does hereby RESOLVE:

To fund a mission to China with a mission of procuring some 50,000 migrant workers, all of whom are to be FEMALE;
To empower in this task the Hakodate Shipping Company;
And to allow every male citizen of the Ezo Republic to freely take these migrants as concubines, to bear to him many children, and work alongside him in the field.
Samurai and daimyo will be forbidden to marry these foreigners.

Difficult times call for difficult measures. I assisted in the crafting of this bill. Women will serve as fine laborers in agricultural work. The fact that they are women to be granted to our laborers means that the loss in wages will be mollified by the greater labor available to their families. Because they are women, they will not transmit their Chinese culture to the children of such unions as take place. In China, times are difficult and many are starving. To allow them to escape death by accepting this status here as immigrant laborers would be a merciful act, by any understanding. No one will be forced to take a second wife, or concubine, but the laborers will be available to be hired by all Ezo citizens. In the United States, long have men paid for the passage of women to their New World, and the women were considered indentured to the men, marrying them and finding a place in their world. Here it shall be the same, something we can learn from the gaijin.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 13, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon (S)

To Congress posted:

Please don't pass Rape Bill.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Arai Ikunosuke, Naval Minister, Daimyo

I humbly accept the great honor of becoming a daimyo. I will look over the land of people in my daimyo with great care.

As for immigration matters, I think perhaps the wording of that particular bill needs some work. I support immigration and efforts to encourage it but I would suggest working on a bill that is at least somewhat palatable.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 13, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Thomas Crusoe

(OOC: This was the pre-edit so I don't want to be called a cheater)
Seeing as this is and probably will forever be the only life, I ask that the Congress consider an amendment to the Opium Ban or a consideration on this concubine importation proposal that would allow the sale of opium to these women whose lives will be slightly worse off than livestock. Thank you. *Kowtows* Thank you.

mynamewas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point

Thomas Crusoe

Help Wanted!
Thomas Crusoe, owner and proprietor of The Round Eye Saloon, is looking to hire artisans and free laborers to help build and staff an upcoming chain of laundries throughout Hakodate. Though we would prefer that our building contractors and construction laborers come from Hakodate as they are familiar with the building codes and zoning laws, we will take special preference towards the hire of field hands and free peasants across Ezo for double their yearly pay on the plantation farm to work at these laundry businesses. Managers and accountants also wanted, with preference towards those who can remember and calculate numbers without writing them down as we do not hold a discrimination policy towards illiteracy.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

I oppose this bill. The very idea that we need to go over to China and whisk away people and sell them to the peasants own fancy is abhorrent. That is not how a warrior solves a problem. I rather not sully my honor with this endeavor.

Now, Mr. President, how come we haven't even talked about the Satsuma expedition? Is the very idea of capturing women so important and vital to the recapture of the mainland, that we can forget trying to open dialogue with our former enemies? Perhaps now I know why you have ignored my letter and are allowing other departments to take away responsibilities that I was given by this constitution.

quote:

Letter to Arai Ikunosuke

Dear Arai Ikunosuke,

The real problem is who is to be really in control of it? The name itself implies you want it to be more than just for naval intelligence and deal with issues of justice at the national level. This overlaps with my Shinsengumi's duty, indeed, as head of security for this nation, I feel that foreign intelligence gathering should be under my duties, perhaps separate from the Shinsengumi but they report to me nonetheless.

Cooperation is important. I do not want religious tensions to boil over which appears to be happening at this moment. Instead, we are both men of duty and such I hope our men can recognize what is ultimately more important: The Republic.

-Hijikata Toshizō

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 13, 2014

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Tokugawa Kamenosuke

I can not, in good faith leave my support unto this bill, when our foe is across the waves reaching for a dagger. Once the situation with the Meiji is addressed, and even a weak peace reached, then I may focus on matters of population. Until then my mind is with the men of our grand army as we prepare to make a desperate defense against the Meiji dogs.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2014

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Thomas Crusoe

Not that it's any of my business, but, speaking as a former colonel, it's not like you've consolidated your holdings of Edo or even adequately made a contingency plan for Meiji retaliation. I mean you already have manpower shortages, which you propose will be solved by a long term social-engineering fertility experiment, and you want to fight an even longer war without adequate agricultural or industrial output against an army and a reserve many times larger than yours?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

quote:

Personal Letter to Hijikata Toshizō

It was not my intention to ignore your correspondence. You know that I value your advice greatly, and would never knowingly dishonor you. Your service to this Republic has been invaluable, and it was rightly thus that the Shogun raised you to the status of Daimyo. I am anxious to know about the status of your Han, if you have yet visited it, and how you plan to arrange the lands there. As a Daimyo, you shall receive substantial estates, yet the true nature of the job is to see that the samurai in your Han are honorable men, well-versed in the classics, as well as talented and able to offer their services to you, and the nation.

Regarding the NINJA intelligence force, it was established without my knowledge. By executive order. I have spoken to the Naval Minister, and can assure you that some of the rumors of it being a partisan organization are overstated by far, likely at the hands of anti-Christians. The men there seem sober and well-suited to their tasks. I would like you to meet with the Naval Minister, and determine for yourself whether the NINJA force should remain under the Naval Ministry's direction, or be folded into your own forces. If it remains, I leave it up to you to determine to what extent the two forces shall have cooperation and sharing of information.

I also seek your advice on the nature of this so-called Satsuma Rebellion. I shall present the details to the public, yet I feel between we two I may admit my caution. Saigo Takamori is a true samurai of a sort not often found in these days, even here in Ezo. He will never surrender, yet I fear that his position in Kyushu is indefensible. The straits there are narrow and can not be defended by ships, and our military force, even combined with Saigo's, could not defeat the literal millions among the Meiji domains who could be conscripted in defense of their realm.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

mynamewas posted:

Thomas Crusoe

(OOC: This was the pre-edit so I don't want to be called a cheater)
Seeing as this is and probably will forever be the only life, I ask that the Congress consider an amendment to the Opium Ban or a consideration on this concubine importation proposal that would allow the sale of opium to these women whose lives will be slightly worse off than livestock. Thank you. *Kowtows* Thank you.

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

I'm afraid it would be quite impossible to allow any exception for the Opium Ban, if any opium were to enter Japan the point of the bill would be lost.

I will also say that I am not in favor of the presidents plan to replace most of our fair honest Japanese citizens with Chinese sex slaves. I don't see the point of this bill other than an attempt to dilute the racial integrity of our people and to dilute the entire Japanese population of Ezo into a minority. If your intention with this plan is to give Ezo over to Chinese barbarians than this plan would be fool proof Enomoto-sama, but I don't think I could ever support the bastardization of our Country.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

The Ainu people are fiercely opposed to the importation of Chinese concubine labor. The proposal stirs up old memories that make myself and many of my people nervous.

Letter to Matsumae Takahiro posted:

I would like to thank you for your support of the Ainu people. I believe very strongly that our two peoples can build a great nation through mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation.

Letter to Horace Capron posted:

Dear Sir,

I am interested in the pursuit of new opportunities for my people. I would like to set up Ainu run, communally owned businesses. The Ainu community has fishing, lumber, hunting, and construction experience to draw upon, so I think lumber, fishing, and construction businesses should be our focus. If you can suggest any Western innovations in these areas, we would be very grateful. P.s. a local missionary has told me that in the West, fish is preserved in glass jars and metal tubes and I am curious if we could do something similar

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Captain Thomas Blakiston

Lords and ladies of Ezo, I am overjoyed to announce my engagement and upcoming marriage to Tokugawa Masako, eldest daughter of the late Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu and sister of the esteemed Shogun Tokugawa Kamenosuke. I am greatly honoured that the shogun has seen fit to permit this marriage.

I must admit I was smitten with Masako from the moment I met her – as entranced by her beauty as I was captivated by her intelligence. Though I recognize that our love may be looked down upon by some, I am grateful to my future brother-in-law for rising above such petty concerns.

Our marriage date has been set for one month from now here in Hakodate, and naturally all of the lords of Ezo and the most prominent residents of the republic shall be invited. I am pleased to announce that the ceremony will be conducted according to both the Anglican and Buddhist faiths, in what I intend to be a celebration of religious tolerance. The wedding will be accompanied by a great public celebration to which all residents of the city shall be welcome.

Once again, I thank the shogun for his blessing and support, and look forward to continuing my long and productive relationship with this great republic.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

For that reason, Matsumae clan fully supports the efforts to make the Ainu people full-fledged citizens. After long deliberation with members of my clan working with CET, I applaud their efforts to incorporate kamuy into Shinto-Buddist beliefs. Some of the more conservative members of the clergy may view this as a breach of tradition. For them, I have the following response: it is no longer only about tradition. We are trying to forge something that withstands the assault of Christianity on our lands. If the survival of our way of life demands recognizing several lesser kami, this is certainly a fair price to pay.

I shall use my influence with the CET to assist in aiding the official recognition of the kamuy as lesser kami. The native ainu may not have the noble samurai culture that we do, but it is our role to recognise them as valuable members of Ezo nontheless.

Proposition Joe posted:

To Matsumae Takahiro, I congratulate you on your recent legal victory. However, I must warn you that your statements about Christianity is ill advised and ultimately can only negatively effect current religious relations in Ezo. I find myself reminding you once again that Christians make up a large portion of the population on Ezo and play a large role in its formation, its economy, and its defense. As the leader of the Christian Faction I am comfortable in saying that Ezo's Christians wish to live and practice in peace; Christians will not be instigating any conflicts in Ezo and if religious tensions swell then everyone will know who to blame.

Christians are a minority and a threat to our very way of life.

E:
[quote]Please don't support rape bill[/b]
Non-samurai afforded concubine priveleges denied to samurai? Dilution of the Ezo race with foreign blood?
Every part of this bill offends me.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 13, 2014

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Hayashi Tadasu

The following comes from correspondence sent back home by Hayashi Tadasu during his diplomatic mission to St. Petersburg.

Letter to Enomoto Takeaki posted:

Dear Mr. President.

Whilst I understand greatly the need to expand our workforce, and better use the lands and resources that our nation is blessed with, surely there is a better way than this? An imperialist expedition to China, with the express purpose of securing foreign citizens of that land for use as labour and pleasure, would be massively harmful to our standing both at home and abroad. I have tried my hardest to ensure that the perception of our great nation is that of a civilised and noble one, deserving of equal standing on the world stage to our enlightened peers. This meddling in other nation's affairs, especially Chinese affairs, will damage that reputation and sully our allies' opinions, especially those of Britain and Russia, who are key players in the east. I have no objections to importing labour from abroad, but the manner in which we do so reflects greatly upon the principles and values which will define our young Republic, and how we will be seen for decades to come. As your foreign magistrate, it is my sincere opinion that you should turn aside from this course, and instead find some other way of attracting labour to our island (whether it be from the Japanese mainland, China, Korea or wherever) that does not appear so barbarous to the eyes of both our own peoples and our allies.

Yours in faithful service
Hayashi Tadasu

Letter to Captain Thomas Blakiston posted:

Dear sir

Congratulations upon the announcement of your engagement. I wish you and your wife to be many years of happiness, and hope that she bears you strong sons. Regrettably, I will be unable to attend your wedding due to commitments requiring me to travel to St. Petersburg, however I will send you a fine wedding gift as befits such a joyous occasion.

Yours sincerely
Hayashi Tadasu

Letter to Katsu Kaishu posted:

Dear Katsu Kaishu-sama

I know you have the best interests of our merchant party and of the Republic at heart, but I believe the bill you have posed is utter folly. Your stance on the rights of our merchants and workers is commendable, but I fear you lack for good advice before proposing action. If you continue on this path of foolhardiness, then our alliance of merchants and free-thinkers is in danger of being eclipsed, and if that happens then the reactionary elements of government are the only ones who will benefit. Please, in future, consider the greater good before acting rashly and jeopardising all we have achieved and worked for together.

Yours faithfully
Hayashi Tadasu

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

Letter to Tsukinoeaino posted:

Dear sir,

I would be delighted to give you my assistance in modernizing your people. I admire the ambition of your people, who see technological marvels beyond them, and react not with worship, nor with scorn, but with unbridled desire to better their lot in life and acquire them, enriching their families and their nation. Indeed, your people will be a crucial part of Ezo. There is much rich lands currently overgrown with woods, yet these woods themselves are a treasure. Not only do I feel your people can modernize the way you cut down these trees, but with investments, they could turn these trees into good timber, and from there, many other possibilities for industry open up. Your fishing fleet might be widely expanded and modernized.

Of course, all these modernizations have costs. And with the war still running hot, government subsidies might be thin on the ground. I would be glad to find foreign investors though, to whom I will personally vouch for the potential of the Ezo lands and its industrious and ambitious people.

As to the other option. A glass industry was not my first idea, but it is an option. It has a need of fine sand though. Do your people have experience with glass manufactory?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Captain Thomas Blakiston

Alas, my friends, I have just been informed that there was a miscommunication between the shogun and myself. It seems his representative mistakenly informed me that the shogun had reached a final decision on the matter.

Masako and I are deeply saddened by this turn of events, but I am certain that the shogun will eventually come to the right decision and let true love win the day. Thank you, my friends, for your kind wishes and support.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
Daimyo-in-Exile of Kuwana

What is more harmful to a man?
Is it the external wounds, the cuts and bruises?
Or is it the internal pains, the aches and coughs?
Only a fool would say that one can always be safely ignored.
It is a man's duty to protect his health, inside and out.

While I am out, managing the war effort in Sado, I must speak my mind about the situation back home in Ezo. As I embarked on the voyage to war, I felt very good about the situation in our republic. However the news I hear has shocked me even more than the removal of my dear brother's leg. Tell me, what has gone on during my absence?

First, I must protest our beloved Shogun's proposed division of fiefdoms, and assignment of Daimyo lords! Tell me, my Lord, why have you decided to make the Ainu Chieftan, Tsukinoeaino, and the high judge Takenaka Shigekata Daimyo lords? I do not wish to imply you are being foolish, but I am dearly confused. Does the High Judge not have constitutional obligations that would interfere with him having another government position? What would happen if someone were to bring a legal suit against him as a Daimyo lord?

And why, oh why, should samurai retainers be forced to serve a non-samurai barbarian such as the Ainu chieftan? Don't they traditionally fall under the domain of the Matsumae clan, anyway? It seems wholly improper to me that we have such a barbaric Daimyo lord!

I should remind you, beloved Shogun, that there are more than enough qualified candidates for these warlord positions. If you are short on talent, why not choose someone such as myself? Would it not be preferable to grant these responsibilities to exiled Daimyos, who have both the status and experience to perform these jobs well! I understand and accept that you chose my dear brother over me, but I beg you to please reconsider!

Secondly, I must express my concern and shock at the news that a Gaijin is going to marry into the Tokugawa family! Can we really allow a refined Tokugawa woman to be defiled by these hairy, uncouth foreign pigs? While their contribution to our military and industry must be noted, as well as the diplomatic implications, this is simply not acceptable! To abandon the refined sister of the Shogun to such a cruel fate brings shame and despair to every Japanese man and woman loyal to the Shogunate!

Please, this marriage must not be allowed to happen! It is one thing to allow Gaijin to trespass onto Japanese soil. It is one thing to allow Gaijin to trespass into Japanese military matters. It is one thing to allow Gaijin to trespass into Japanese economic matters. All of these things are shames, but sometimes it can be argued that present conditions demand we accept them. But we must not allow Gaijin to trespass into our most noble families! This, I will never accept!

Finally, I must dearly condemn the abhorrent proposal to fill the republic with whores for the merchant and peasant classes. This does not solve our problems in any way, and only serves the perversion of corrupt men.

So these are my gravest concerns at the present time. I ask that you all please consider them carefully.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

Honorable sirs, I have been fretting over our budget for a while. War is an expensive matter, and the warriors of the Republic deserve the utmost support, while our economy must continue to be stimulated. Yet where to obtain the money? The peasants are flourishing, but they possess not much, and would feel a tax increase hard, as would the laborers. The merchants then? But there is not much money to be found there. It was odd. I searched, wondering if perhaps there was corruption, but I found none. What I found was the spirit of ambition. Samurai see the opportunities that trade offers them, and with many of them unable to fulfill their traditional roles, have invested money in successful undertakings, and they eclipse many of the Chonin's richest undertakings.

I'll leave whether this is a desirable trait up to the honored Samurai, but the fact of the matter is that they make a lot of money. If this continues, all but the most insignificant of trade will soon be done by Samurai merchant-lords, tax-free. The merchant class would be reduced to a handful of small merchants, contributing a negligible amount of income to our government.

I feel that how this is to be handled is a discussion that is not simply economical, but has its root in cultural, social and political matters, and I will not hazard to make a judgement here. I would like however to propose in the short term the War Time Contributions Act to the honored Samurai. It would require a 10% tax on all trade income gained by Samurai, but would be limited in time until the next three months. If the war continues and a lengthening is needed, it can be reconsidered in three months. For Samurai who do not engage in trade, nothing would change, and they would pay no taxes.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Considering the unified opposition to the bill, I withdraw my support for Katsu Kaishu's bill. Though I still believe it was not as sinister as others have presented, a President must listen to his counselors and constituents, I am not an Emperor nor do I have any wish to be, thus I can not in good conscience continue to support it.

We must however, turn to other matters. The rebellion of the Samurai, the current military buildup, and the status of Sado Island.

I introduce the following bill related to Sado Island, the easier of the matters to discern. I leave it to the Finance Minister to determine how many credits would be appropriate for the bill presented here.

2-2 Sado Island Pacification and Improvement Bill

In order to reap the benefit of our conquest of Sado Island, the following shall be undertaken:

1. The final pacification of Sado Island, utilizing the military to clear the island. The Army Minister shall present a plan to drive the rebels out.
2. The improvement and modernization of the Sado Island gold mine along Dutch lines utilizing Dutch science. Thomas Blakiston shall present a plan to oversee the mine. He shall be paid for his efforts on Sado Island at a fair rate.
3. The profits of the gold mine shall be directly paid to the national treasury for the benefit of the nation and its defense and improvement.

Relating to the Satsuma, we have a few choices. I want to hear true debate on the matter, consider the benefits and disadvantages of each possibility.

1. We could ignore the situation

2. We could actively assist the Satsuma rebels and try to secure Kyushu Island

3. We could try to evacuate the Satsuma rebels to Ezo, and integrate them into the Republic as equals.

I can not foresee another basic course beyond these three that we could conceivably undertake, though if something has been hidden from my sight, I invite you to present the case. Thus far however, one of these courses will be chosen by myself for the next few months. It is up to you to show the benefits and disadvantages of each course to help me make this decision.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Jules Brunet, Frenchman

"Letter to the Limey posted:

My Dearest Friend,

Nothing has filled me with more sorrow than to hear of the recent abrogation of your most assuredly happy matrimonial ceremony. Should you need anything at all in this time, I stand prepared to assist you as best I can.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Kasuga Saemon (S)

Extract from the Prefatory Chapter of "An Introduction to the Poetry of Nippon, its Forms, Themes, and Masters" posted:

"Our native poetry springs from the heart of man as its seed, producing the countless leaves of language. Multitudinous are the affairs of men in this world—what their minds think, what their eyes see, what their ears hear they must find words to express. Listening to the nightingale singing amid the blossoms of spring, or to the murmur of frogs among the marshes in autumn, we know that every living thing plays its part in the mingled music of Nature."

Thus were the words of Ki no Tsurayuki, one of the great masters of poetry in the land of Nippon, and the compiler of one of the first great collections of poetry from our past, the Kokin Wakashuu. But his words are applicable not only to the poetry of my country, but to the poetry of man. In what nation is there not an impulse to put our various languages to the service of nobility, beauty, and music? Whether through the martial vigor of Homer, the wings of Milton, the perceptive eye of Basho, or the longing heart of Dante, to the competent and unknown poet studying his craft, all men seek to place the experiences of a life into a realm that defies mere human mortality.

If the impulse is the same, the forms and particulars of how that urge is transformed from a nameless cloud that fills vision and tightens the stomach into a piece that is remembered and recited change from people to people, and even from age to age. So there is profit to be made in studying the poetry of diverse times and places, to see what is great and survived the tests of time and distance. It is to that end I, Kasuga Saemon, a lover of words, have produced this little book for my brothers outside Japan. I believe that great poetry, no matter its origin, can speak to the hearts of all men, that when we read a master of the art, we do not judge the work, but the work judges us and our character...

Friar John fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 14, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

In light of the President's withdrawal of support, I will do the same as well; after all, if the great mind behind the architecture of this bill no longer has faith in it, how can I?

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Here are my opinion on the three options presented on the Satsuma situation.

Firstly, ignoring it will be the easiest option as we would not have to divert anything at all, but would perhaps hurt us in the long run. Meiji army reforms of their non-samurai military will demonstrate how antiqued we have become.

Secondly, the ability for them to hold Kyushu sadly may not be possible due to the fact our new warships have yet to arrive so we cannot prevent Meiji reinforcements from the main island. Still if they pulled it off and we helped, we have much to gain in that we have three bases of operation to attack. We will have a loyal ally in the South.

Thirdly, relocating them maybe the only possible solution. The reason being that we cannot hold Kyushu but we can hold Sado and Ezo. Plus if we directly integrate them to the Republic, we stand to gain valuable military commanders. The refugees that will also follow would also lessen the population shortage we have.

Regardless we should open dialogue with them at the very least.

This is my opinion on the options, Mr. President. I await to here anyone else's advice.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Daimyo, Samurai

I agree that we should open talks with Satsuma and find out how we can best aid them. In the end option 3 is probably our best bet.

I would also like to draw to attention the inequality currently breeding in our society, I have heard reports of samurai who are exploiting their status to perform activities outside of their duties as samurai such as farming and trading. We must address this inequality as it will cause instability in the peasant and merchant classes.

Those lower classes cannot possibly compete with the tax free samurai who receive government paychecks each quarter and if this activity continues we will be facing civil unrest not unlike that faced by the Tokugawa Shogunate late in its life.

Just as the rights of the samurai must be carefully protected so should the right of the merchant to trade, and the right of the peasant to own and care for his land. These rights must be protected from competition in more privileged classes of society.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 14, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Katsu Kaishū (勝 海舟)

And what of the fourth option? Might not our gracious friends in France and the United Kingdom deign to give such support to Satsuma? We must petition them to defend Satsuma, and to deal a blow against the Meiji; Hakodate and Kagoshima must stand together, or we must fall together.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Tokugawa Kamenosuke

With the election times upon, I wish to formally offer my support to Enomoto Takeashi, and stress my stance that it is of the highest urgency that all members of the homeland and republican parties, who do not wish to see a coward of a man take office, vote and offer their endorsement to the honorable Enomoto Takeashi, so that the dubious merchant may not sully our great republic with his tainted presidency.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Kasuga Saemon (S)

Excerpt from "On the Uses and Methods of Translation" posted:

It is not easy to translate from one language to another, and certain types of writing can lose all intensity and strength if translated badly. What then is the man of multiple languages to do? How should he approach this task?

First, he must have an intimate knowledge not only of his mother tongue, but that of the piece to be translated. Unless he can credibly and without shame compose in both, he should not attempt to transform one tongue into another. Second, he must hold in his mind not only the material form of the piece to be translated: that is, its meter, or particular syntax, or emphasis placed on certain words, but also the reason the piece was written in the first place: the general or historical form, who was the audience, what was the environment the piece was written in, how did the author's contemporaries touch upon the same subject, and how was the author working in that environment in contrast?

Why must these be known? I shall take my nation as an example. In the Yamato tongue, the haiku can only contain so many words which, due to the nature of our language, is generally a small number. In English however, a mere shifting of the poetic form produces works that are comparably much longer, and fail to capture the true spirit of haiku, the capture of a single contrast or distinction. Thus, the man hoping to translate Issa into English cannot merely transfer his language into English syllables of 5-7-5, but must find a material form that captures the general form of Issa's piece. Thus if a Yamato man wishes to translate Hamlet into Japanese, he must find a form in Japanese that captures the lyrical and metrical regularity of English iambic pentameter...

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

First of all, I would like to express my thanks for being given the position of a daimyo. This is a great honor for the entire clan and an enormous step in reconciliation between the government and the Matsumae. As a response, we formally relinquish our claim to the Fukuyama Castle. Let it serve the Republic well.

Clan Matsumae also offers support to the current president. We hope that the decisive victory of the current president will allow for creation a much more unified government that doesn't cater to Westerners and their willing vassals.

Despite that, I will also have to speak against the so-called "The Act to Strengthen the Nation...", a merchant-sponsored piece which does exactly opposite. How is Katsu Kaishu-san, despite the ongoing war effort, transfer fifty thousand Chinese women? This is a fifth of the approximate population count of our nation! This is an enormous and costly endeavor, which Katsu-san probably wants to be paid by the government. The money will, of course, go straight to the merchants with their own transport fleets, as the navy is already overburdened.

I don't see any reason to pay the merchants to transport women whom the merchants themselves will most likely take as concubines or wives. There is very little for the Republic to gain here, and the amount of things that can go wrong is astonishing.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Tokugawa Kamenosuke, shogun, hero of the battle of Sado, shinto devoutee.

I am honored to see Matsumae Takahiro willingly take the role of daimyo, for though we may have had our grievances it is only right that a family as old and wise as the Matsumae be granted this honor. My other newly crowned daimyo Kasuga, has also proved his worth exceptionally, with his skill in the arts. May his wise ways, transfer well to the administration of his holdings. Finally the removal of that insidious and foolish bill has been struck down, showing that ezo is a nation of men, not desperate cowards. However not all is well. It saddens me to see disdain for the appointment of an Ainu chieftain, for they have proven to be as courageous as any Samurai. I hope in due time that we may all come to accept their role in ezo.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 14, 2014

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

quote:

Excerpts from the personal journal of Hijikata Toshizō

When I was a child, at around eleven, near my home. I planted an arrow bamboo stating how I wanted to become a samurai and have a great reputation. Now that I write this, it has been a very long time. Still, now as a man of over 40 years of age, I've become Daiymo. I know what needs to be done. After the battle of Toba-Fushimi, I learned that we needed to adapt to the West but not lose our heritage. It explains why I dress European and have a revolver with me at all times. . .

As I accepted their offer to me, I told them what my plans to do with my own Han would be and they were receptive of it. I'll have to see what will happen next, but I do have hopes for my plans. . .

I will begin to talk with both Okita and Saito about what I plan to do for our organization. We need to recruit the best of the best, and I will see to that. I do hope that I can schedule a meeting with the Naval Minister when both of us are free and introduce him to some of my plans and work out a compromise.

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 14, 2014

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Otori Keisuke, Army Minister

Any of my like minded colleagues in the Republican party should support President Enomoto as the best choice in these elections.

On the matter of Sado, I will privately discus the plan with the President and military that way we do not repeat the inexpediency of letting the enemy know our plans for a second time.

The Satsuma Rebels have good chances of securing the south if there an be a larger scale dissent against Japan and diversions from the North. I suggest two options. First, that we begin to contact foreign powers in regards to Germany's involvement with Meiji and convince them that the alternative of an Ezo-led coalition of successor states would be preferable while mustering to reclaim Honshu. The second option is that we allow for the Satsuma warriors to fight but offer them transport at any time to Ezo. Samurai men cannot be convinced to cowardly flee in the face of danger, but when the odds are insurmountable it may be their only chance at vanquishing their enemies in the future. We can do these concurrently if we're willing to stomach both.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Given the choice between a man who has proven again and again that he stands for naught but compromise and appeasement, and a man who stands for the ruination of Ezo, I must regretfully Abstain from this election.

The choice of the lesser of two evils is still evil.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the delay, here are the AP totals for players this turn:

The best RP post award goes to Friar John for his posts on Christianity within Ezo. This nets him a bonus AP point for the turn, in addition to his RP point!

Note that the "best post" award will be weighted toward those who did not recently receive it, so it won't necessarily go to the same player every turn.

EDIT: If any new players wish to join, feel free to ask one of the GM's what your AP will be. It can also be calculated with info from the OP.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Horace Capron

I'm sure our honoured Financial minister will improve on it soon, but just to get the discussion started, I would like to propose a budget

Government Expenditures:

Internal Security: 5
Samurai Stipends: 6
Army Maintenance: 6 (6 required now due to mobilization)
Navy Maintenance: 3
Military Logistics: 3 (3 required now due to supply demands)
Interest Payments: 6 (minimum to avoid increase in principal)
Agricultural subsidies: 2
Industrial subsidies: 1

This would keep our army well supplied for cleaning up the last remnants on Sado, and our fleet ready for anything that should happen. The subsidies should aid the labor starved economy to keep growing while we work towards a situation for it, and make sure we have more money available next time to pay back loans, engage in other wars or do whatever the Republic chooses to do.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Kasuga Saemon (S)

Excerpt from "On the Uses and Methods of Translation" posted:

We have demonstrated the multifaceted ways a translation of a text, by the very fact of changing the language and by no fault of the translator, may shift meaning, lay bare obscurities, darken obvious points, and so on. Because of this, there can be no perfect translation from the hand of men. All translators must bear this burden, to juggle the various responsibilities he is beholden to: fidelity to the text, fidelity to the meaning of the author, the desire to avoid obvious barbarisms of language, and so on. A translator who takes the first goal may fail in the second, because the exact language of the author is an idiom that bears no meaning in the translator's language, or the third, but producing a work that sounds either childish or senile. Because of that, all translators must welcome their fellow craftsmen, for one may illuminate a part of a work that another obscured to allow something else to take the lead.

A Facsimile of Kasuga Saemon's holograph copy of "The Way is Long", Barker & Sons, San Francisco 1934 posted:

The frontispiece of the work - a simple drawing of the cross with "天地, Tenchi" or "Heaven and Earth"

Kasuga Saemon's calligraphy of "平安" or "Peace" along with his signature.

The first poem of the collection, though without the translations into English and French of the published versions. The explanatory paragraph informs that as Kasuga was traveling to Wakkanai to meet a friend (The friar Takahiro, who is mentioned in a few other poems of the collection), he took a moment to rest, and heard nearby the sound of laborers working on a new timber factory.
はるいちばん・つかさのこえて・つちのおと
Haruichiban/ tsukasa no koete/ tsuchi no oto
The first spring storm--
Over the hill,
The sound of hammers

Kasuga's one poem about the circumstances of his conversion, which occurred in the middle of winter. His one word explanation of the poem is "変換, henkan" - "conversion".
さむいとや・わたしといっしょに・しんめいのき
The cold road--
With me,
The tree of Life

Excerpt from "On the Christian in Japan" posted:

I was asked, by a Frenchman and Christian who I am acquainted with, how can Christianity live in such a culture as that in Japan? How does the Japanese man find the truth of Jesus Christ? With no disrespect towards him, for he is a man of high learning and with a broad heart, one might just as well ask, how might a pagan Roman be converted? or a Frankish barbarian? or even a gentleman of today in London, Paris, or New York? All of these are places and times far removed from the days of the Apostles, and yet in all of them God finds ways to convert men and women to Him. In all times and in all places, the impetus of conversion comes from God Himself, the only difference is how men search for it, react to it, and spread the love of God.

In my country, it is the care Christians show to all men, regardless of station or birth, faction or clan, that convinces many of the Church's truth. By treating men and women as they are - as fellow sons and daughters of Adam and Eve, all of us needful of the mercy of Christ - this touches the hearts of men. When God works through us, and we say "Let it be" to His will, we allow ourselves to be true lights in the darkness, lights of mercy in the darkness of sin and death.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

[An anonymous signboard put up near the meeting-house of the Council of Ecumenical Translators]
"They [the CET] do not follow Shinto [神道, way of the gods], but shinto [新道, the way of novelty]! Bastards!"

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro [S]

Having been named daimyo by the shogun, it falls to me to organize a retinue worthy of our clan. Many brave samurai and soldiers continued to serve us during the period of our disgrace. Their loyalty and honor will not be forgotten. Several of them has, as of today, been officially adopted as samurai of Matsumae clan.

Every citizen of Ezo, who does not fear the simple martial life, can serve in the clan military. Ainu people, according to their preference, may serve in separate units, or be integrated into the bulk of the army along with the rest. As every soldier should respect their comrades in arms, racial discrimination will be treated as an infraction and punished accordingly. Exemplary service, no matter the race, is a path towards the life of a samurai, with accompanying duties and privileges.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Tsukinoeaino.

Letter to Matsumae Takahiro posted:

Dear Sir,
In light of recent events, we would like your help in realigning trading rights with the Ainu. We recognize that you have historical held exclusive trading rights with the Ainu people. However, the recent division of the island and my promotion to daimyo makes that situation impractical. I would like the Ainu to have the same rights and restrictions as any other citizen.

Tokugawa Kamenosuke

Brown allotted to Tsukinoeaino of the Ainu
[/quote]

I humbly accept this great honor. I am in correspondence with Matsumae Takahiro. In response to the new division of the island, I have requested that the Ainu be allowed the same trading rights as any other citizen. This would relieve us of both a great practical burden and a source of ill will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: I'd like to remind everyone that their Turn 2 orders are due Sunday 2/16 at 11:59 PM CST.

I'm fine with changing the times if need be, but I was hoping to establish this as the weekly deadline.

• Locked thread