Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
National Signing Day for 2014 is over and gone. While there’s probably still drama around a few recruits, the vast majority of classes are complete. Here’s the top-10 classes according to the 247 Composite for the last year:

1. Alabama: Surprise!
2. LSU: Geaux Tigers
3. Ohio State: Snake-oil Urban does it again
4. Florida State: Kind of surprised they weren’t higher, but a hell of a class after winning the national championship
5. TAMU: Does their recruiting this year mean they’ll have a defense soon? :iiam:
6. Auburn: Average recruit ranking? Over a 90 4*. WDE?
7. Tennessee: The most SEC class possible, with 33 commits
8. Georgia: Woof!
9. Florida: 7th best class in the SEC apparently means 9th best in the country
10. Notre Dame: Somehow Brian Kelly convinced 23 young men they should be Catholic

Recruiting sites:

While this thread is a great resource for keeping up with recruiting on a national level, if you want to follow a specific team, you probably want to subscribe to one of the four main services.

1. Rivals: The current King poo poo of the recruiting analysis world, Rivals covers a great number of events at a generally high quality.

2. 247: The feisty up-and-comer, 247's founder also founded Rivals. Their coverage is slowly growing, and for some teams, they're head and shoulders above the competition. In addition to their proprietary rankings, they also run the 247 Composite, an average of the rankings by the four services listed here.

3. ESPN: As they are wont to do, ESPN is trying to get in on the recruiting feeding frenzy, and their coverage is slowly getting better and better. Apparently they actually have good scouting and player analysis now, so it might be worth checking out, though they still have some really wonky ideas on some recruits.

4. Scout: Scout is utter garbage in terms of scouting and ranking prospects, but I’m sure some schools have Scout as their primary site?

The main issue with picking which service to follow is the school to which you owe allegiance. For VT, for example, 247 is currently king of the mountain, but it wasn't all that long ago that Rivals was. So do your research before dropping any of your hard-earned :10bux: just to be on the bleeding edge of recruiting info.

Which kid is the best at the footballs?!?!

Early watch lists are out now, they're all guaranteed to change quite a bit over the next year as new players emerge, more well-known ones drop in the rankings, and kids move up. Everything is dynamic and constantly in flux. That said, here's the early overall rankings:

247's Top 247
Scout 300
Rivals Top 100
ESPN 2015 Top 300

One thing to keep in mind when looking at those lists is that the harder it is to find a certain position, the higher they'll be ranked in general. The top player is rarely a running back, and frequently a defensive end, for example.

Oh man look at all that social networking these kids are doing!

Please god don’t interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. It’s fine to follow them if they’re publicly tweeting or whatever, but don’t be a terrible creeper and try to talk to them.

Things to follow during the spring/summer:

Spring Games: For many schools this is a huge recruiting event, and can draw a crowd that'd be considered huge for a game day at smaller schools.

Junior Days: Time for the fresh crop of next year's recruits to hit campus, take in practice so they can see what they're getting themselves into coaching wise, and get a feel for their top schools.

Camps: Recruits also come to camp to be seen competing. A great opportunity for less-scouted players to have a shot at a scholly or a walk-on offer.

With all of that out of the way, let's enjoy the show! Recruiting and the Fulmer Cup are is the only real competitions in the offseason, so let's savor 'em.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
And for a quick look at VT's initial 2015 recruits:

Michael Barnett: 91 4* 247 Composite DE. 6-4 248, 4.8 40. Dorchester, SC—Kid's already pretty big and may end up slotted as a fast DT if he keeps putting weight on. Great early pickup for DL Coach Charley Wiles.

Ashton White: 90 4* 247 Composite CB. 6-0, 176, 4.48 40. Washington, DC—Keeping that DBU pipeline going! VT expects to quickly snap up a handful of 4* prospects early in the class, White is the first.

For recruiting needs, I imagine we'll try to take 1 QB, 3 DE, 3 DT as our positions of most importance.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I honestly question Rival's hold on the #1 spot now. 247 makes enormous strides and is constantly unveiling new things and updating as they go while Rivals has essentially been unchanged for a decade(seriously) in part due to lack of stiff competition. ESPN also spends each year cleaning up and streamlining what they do and they're vastly different from the ESPN of 3 or so years ago.

If they haven't already, I think 247 will pass Rivals in the next year or two.

PizzaDelivery
Jun 25, 2007
Not delivering pizzas since 1988

Crotch Bat posted:

I honestly question Rival's hold on the #1 spot now. 247 makes enormous strides and is constantly unveiling new things and updating as they go while Rivals has essentially been unchanged for a decade(seriously) in part due to lack of stiff competition. ESPN also spends each year cleaning up and streamlining what they do and they're vastly different from the ESPN of 3 or so years ago.

If they haven't already, I think 247 will pass Rivals in the next year or two.

Also Rivals crashed yesterday on national signing day, so that won't help matters.

I think it depends on the school.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Tennessee's 2015 commits so far:

Preston Williams - He is listed on Scout as their 5* #1 WR. On Rivals he listed as the #14 WR, 4*. Hampton, Georgia.

Cecil Cherry - Rivals #8 LB, 4*, Frostproof, Florida

Andrew Butcher - Rivals #12 DE, 4*, Alpharetta, GA

Jack Jones - Rivals #9 OT, 4*, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Dylan Jackson - Rivals #24 DE, 3*, Maryville, Tennessee

Zach Stewart - Rivals #19 OG, 3*, Coalfield, Tennessee

Jaylond Woods - Rivals NR Athlete , 3*, Lenoir City, Tennessee

Also lots of rumors about Tennessee leading for Zach Gentry (Rivals #11 Pro-Style QB, 4*, New Mexico) and Jaason Lewis (Rivals #19 Athlete, 4*, Virginia Beach, Virginia).

Impressive start so far to the 2015 class, by Butch. Given that I believe there is a good chance Tennessee goes 5-7 again this year (I think 2015 is when Tennessee goes bowling again, but with a few breaks they could go in 2014), I am curious to see if Jones can hold this class together like he did the 2014 class.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU's at 7 commits right now. This year we're supposed to load up on corners and secondary

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky has two commits in the 2015 class:

Montrell Custis - 6'0 185 3* (ESPN, Rivals, Scout) or 4* (247) CB out of Hampton, (Lovejoy) GA. Reported offers from Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Miss St, UT, Oregon, WVU and VT among others.

Marcus Walker - 6'1 185 3* (Rivals, Scout, 247) or 4* (ESPN) S out of Lake Wales, (Lake Wales) FL. Reported offers from Florida and Vandebrilt among others.

Some names to watch for in the future:

Damien Harris - 5'11 205 4* (ESPN, Scout) or 5* (Rivals, 247) RB out of Richmond, (Madison Southern) KY. Reported offers from Kentucky, Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, SCAR, UT, Wisconsin and Michigan (former commit) among others.

Eli Brown - 6'2 192 4* (consensus) OLB out of Bowling Green, (Warren East) KY. Reported offers from Kentucky, Ohio State, Vanderbilt (former commit).

Emmitt Smith - 6'3 240 3* (Rivals, ESPN) or 4* (247, Scout) ILB/MLB out of Bowling Green, (Warren Central) KY. Reported offers from Kentucky, Indiana and Purdue.

Damien Harris is going to be a big-time national recruit and will likely hold offers from every program that uses a running back. He's the #1 RB rated by Rivals, ESPN, and 247 and the #2 RB by Scout. It's going to be an uphill battle for CMS and his staff to land Harris, but with enough improvement on the field (and in wins/losses) in '14, I think Kentucky has a very good shot.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Nur_Neerg posted:

Oh man look at all that social networking these kids are doing!

Please god don’t interact with kids on Twitter/FB/etc. It’s fine to follow them if they’re publicly tweeting or whatever, but don’t be a terrible creeper and try to talk to them.

Not only creepy, but literally a recruiting violation if you're a booster (and if you're an alum or current student, you automatically are one).

Don't tweet at recruits.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Star Telegram had a pretty decent article on recruiting from the schools in the state of Texas around DFW. Things are not looking great for SMU or North Texas...

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/02/05/5544440/recruiting-confidential.html?rh=1

quote:

Texas A&M assistant, Texas, TCU score well in recruiting survey

We asked a dozen high school coaches which programs were the easiest and hardest to work with and how programs succeeded or failed.

According to the coaches polled, Texas A&M recruiting coordinator David Beaty is far and away considered the best recruiter in the Metroplex and Texas — followed closely by TCU — is the best program to work with.

The coaches said Texas A&M is the most popular school among their players right now, followed by Baylor. However, TCU received the most recognition for having a pipeline set up at Metroplex schools.

Also I wonder who this was

quote:

• “The money offers and offers of a free education to his little brother. [Another school] did the same.”

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 6, 2014

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina is already off to a hot start for 2015, which has to be our best opening to a recruiting season yet.

5* DE Shameik Blackshear (Bluffton, S.C.)
4* WR Dexter Neal (Stone Mountain, Ga.)
4* LB Sherrod Pittman (Jacksonville, Fla.)
4* DE Chauncey Rivers (Stone Mountain, Ga.)
3* WR Jared Washington (Jacksonville, Fla.)

Last summer, we also had a commitment from 4* DE Arden Key, but he backed off when his teammate, Wesley Green, decommitted. Hopefully now that Green changed his mind and has signed with us, that'll move us back up Key's list. Of course, I expect we'll have to battle to keep some of the guys we currently have on board as well.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

quote:

19 schools have finished in the 247composite Top 10 from 2010-2014: Alabama, Florida St, Florida, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, UCLA, Georgia, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Clemson, Michigan, Stanford, Miami, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M

Bama and FSU are the only schools to be in the Top 10 for all 5 of those years

Bama has signed 131 prospects in that span, 19 five stars, 72 four stars (69.5% of their signees are four or five stars)

FSU has signed 123 prospects in that span, 16 five stars, 46 four stars (50.4% of our signees are four or five stars)
'10-'14

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Average class rank at Bama 1.8. Must be nice to see your team recruit like that every year.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PizzaDelivery posted:

Also Rivals crashed yesterday on national signing day, so that won't help matters.

I think it depends on the school.

It's funny to see everyone else poo poo on Scout because UCLA's Scout site is arguably one of the best recruiting sites in the country. The main guys in charge are Scout's West Coast editors/analysts/whatever, and the premium board has a decent amount of people on it that have actual connections to some local high schools and their coaching staffs/boosters. As far as west coast recruiting goes, the other sites seem pretty terrible by comparison.

As for UCLA, we're not going to have too many scholarships available for 2015 due to how young we are (probably around 15 when all's said and done) but we're off to a good start with the #1 TE in the country Alize Jones and a solid MLB prospect Victor Alexander. The big must-get target of the class for us is #1 QB Josh Rosen, who we've emerged as the clear leader for. Obviously we'll need to keep the pressure up for a year, but Rosen said he was close to committing after his recent visit. We bring him in, grab an impact wide receiver or two, and get the usual stock of linemen and we'll be in great shape for 2015/16.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I just had to stop in to tell you all that you loving nailed the thread title, again, and it will make me chuckle every time I scroll past it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Chichevache posted:

I just had to stop in to tell you all that you loving nailed the thread title, again, and it will make me chuckle every time I scroll past it.

I'll take that credit :D

2015:

TTU has one commit for 2015 from Running back Corey Dauphine.

Gotta feel good about TTU's chances for one of Jarrett Stidham or Kyler Murray.

Stidham is Rivals' #1 Dual Threat QB, from Stephenville, and has a habit about tweeting about TTU quite often. Has offers from everywhere, might visit Oregon, Clemson, Auburn this spring, but spends a lot of time tweeting about TTU and is good friends with 2014 signee Ian Sadler.

Kyler Murray, #5 dual threat from Allen, Tx, is an A&M legacy and is considered an A&M lean, but is also a huge fan of Kliff Kingsbury. I think the coaching staff is working on both of them as option 1 and option A, and there is a very, very good chance that we wind up with one of the two.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Texas has 6 commits in the 2015 class thus far:

Patrick Vahe 4* OG -- cousin of Teuhema brothers, likely to decommit and join them at LSU
Jordan Stevenson 4* RB
Jalen Campbell 3* CB
Johnny Shaw 3* S
Bryce English 3* DT
Connor Lanfear 4* OT -- visited both A&M and Oklahoma junior days, rumored to be wavering to A&M

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

from last cycle:

quote:

Dexter Wideman may have verbally committed to Florida State in July, but he gave South Carolina the word he would be signing with them a week later. The Saluda (S.C.) four-star defensive lineman signed with the Gamecocks yesterday. Now the question becomes- will he qualify?

Anyone have any idea why someone would do that? South Carolina's not even a rival or anything with FSU. Strange

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Who needs a reason to get attention?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

from last cycle:

Anyone have any idea why someone would do that? South Carolina's not even a rival or anything with FSU. Strange

Why someone would do what? He might legitimately have some academic issues (I honestly don't know), but that particular quote sounds like sour grapes from FSU.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Re: Malik McDowell

There's talk that he may wait until his 18th birthday this summer to sign with MSU. It's a really strange situation.

Also, there were several MSU callers on Grand Rapids radio this morning that suggested McDowell's parents were worried that Dantonio would replace them as the primary role model. loving :lol:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

RumbleFish posted:

Why someone would do what? He might legitimately have some academic issues (I honestly don't know), but that particular quote sounds like sour grapes from FSU.

its from a national recruiting article about signing fay storiee
http://247sports.com/Article/Behind-the-scenes-of-the-2014-recruiting-cycle-176070

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Dattserberg posted:

Re: Malik McDowell

There's talk that he may wait until his 18th birthday this summer to sign with MSU. It's a really strange situation.

Also, there were several MSU callers on Grand Rapids radio this morning that suggested McDowell's parents were worried that Dantonio would replace them as the primary role model. loving :lol:

I hope he does well and this doesn't gently caress up his life.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Gotta feel good about TTU's chances for one of Jarrett Stidham

Stidham is Rivals' #1 Dual Threat QB, from Stephenville, and has a habit about tweeting about TTU quite often. Has offers from everywhere, might visit Oregon, Clemson, Auburn this spring, but spends a lot of time tweeting about TTU and is good friends with 2014 signee Ian Sadler.

I might put out an effort post about our 2015 recruiting later, but for now I'll just say that Baylor's also pretty interested in Stidham, and he's seemed pretty infatuated with us in the past as well - though he certainly seems to be leaning TTU right now. Should be an interesting recruiting battle to watch. It's not one we desperately need, as we've already got a QB commit in All-Name Teamer Chad President (4*, 7th ranked Athlete), but we didn't get any QBs in '14 so we could certainly make room for Stidham this year.

I'm really excited for this recruiting cycle. We seem to be off to a good start, and I'm really eager to see how well we can capitalize on the Big 12 title. Winning it certainly didn't hurt when came to holding on to our last class, but the 2014 commits were mostly committed to us back when we were still bragging about KSU and the Holiday Bowl.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Nur_Neerg posted:

1. Alabama: Surprise!

This

quote:

2. LSU: Geaux Tigers

poo poo

quote:

5. TAMU: Does their recruiting this year mean they’ll have a defense soon? :iiam:

Ain't

quote:

6. Auburn: Average recruit ranking? Over a 90 4*. WDE?

Fair

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Traitorous Leopard posted:

This

poo poo

Ain't

Fair

Fun fact: Auburn was 6th in terms of SEC recruiting but good enough for 8th overall. :)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nur_Neerg posted:

9. Florida: 9th best in the country means 7th best in the SEC

FTFY.

:sigh:

No real dynamic offensive weapons, loads of defensive players and OL though. More half-assed Muschamp football incoming!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

bhsman posted:

Fun fact: Auburn was 6th in terms of SEC recruiting but good enough for 8th overall. :)

We're just about to the point where 4 teams in our division are going to be in preseason national title talks year after year. We might actually be fielding decent teams, but no one will be able to tell because we're gonna get dust rolled in conference play constantly! :shepicide:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Somehow, despite an absolutely god-awful year, WMU has managed to snag first place in the MAC for recruiting. And according to 247, 69th overall. So going 1-11, only beating UMass, will grant you the magic ability to recruit in the top half of college football. Fortunately, the top two recruits are a QB and WR, so maybe our O will look less like concentrated dog-garbage next year. And we got an RB worth a drat. I envy AQ schools and their abilities to get 5* recruits

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

I might put out an effort post about our 2015 recruiting later, but for now I'll just say that Baylor's also pretty interested in Stidham, and he's seemed pretty infatuated with us in the past as well - though he certainly seems to be leaning TTU right now. Should be an interesting recruiting battle to watch. It's not one we desperately need, as we've already got a QB commit in All-Name Teamer Chad President (4*, 7th ranked Athlete), but we didn't get any QBs in '14 so we could certainly make room for Stidham this year.

I'm really excited for this recruiting cycle. We seem to be off to a good start, and I'm really eager to see how well we can capitalize on the Big 12 title. Winning it certainly didn't hurt when came to holding on to our last class, but the 2014 commits were mostly committed to us back when we were still bragging about KSU and the Holiday Bowl.

The TTU Rivals had a feature on him. It's going to be a pretty intense race for him. Baylor has the Art Briles Stephenville connection, and he's going to have a lot of top notch programs. He is looking for a school that he can take to the top (rather than going to a school that is at the top). Also looking for a good QB situation, which TTU and Baylor probably both qualify, Baylor with a Sr next year, TTU with 2 scholarship QB's on the roster.

Will be real interesting to see how his recruitment will go. Probably will end by April or May.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston has exactly one commit for 2015 so far and he's better than everybody from 2014. 2014 was a bad, bad class.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 7, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It never occurred to me before, but once the letter comes in to the university...what happens next? Is it unrestricted craziness of "send them the playbook, a jersey, whatever you want (as long as its not a barrel of money and drugs and women)?"

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

It never occurred to me before, but once the letter comes in to the university...what happens next? Is it unrestricted craziness of "send them the playbook, a jersey, whatever you want (as long as its not a barrel of money and drugs and women)?"

Everything under "whatever you want" has been flowing for the last year plus.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Notre Dame's 2015 Commits so far:
4* QB Blake Barnett - Compares to Marcus Mariota, little goofy throwing motion but a fast long strider.
4* OL Jerry Tillery - Big kid from Louisiana.. not often you see kids from LA make it to ND, maybe they'll start making strides in the catholic schools there.
4* OL Tristan Hoge - Merrill Hoge's nephew, another big time OL.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Tennessee will be opening the 2015 season at the Titans stadium in Nashville. That plus the 2016 BMS game versus VT, Jones is really doing everything he can do to sell Tennessee to recruits. If he can only make it to a bowl game (I have a feeling scheduling OU as an OOC will cost a bowl game this year).

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
2015: LSU apparently has a big Samoan dude who's little brother big Samoan dude was a late 2014 signee.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

nate fisher posted:

Tennessee will be opening the 2015 season at the Titans stadium in Nashville. That plus the 2016 BMS game versus VT, Jones is really doing everything he can do to sell Tennessee to recruits. If he can only make it to a bowl game (I have a feeling scheduling OU as an OOC will cost a bowl game this year).

Um, excuse me, but that's LP FIELD.

LP employee

Yeah, Jones definitely has his eyes on being a national power again here in a couple years. My only complaint with this giant class is the lack of a QB, especially given how lovely all of them looked last year. I know Riley Ferguson kept his red shirt on and should be the man this coming season, but if he gets hurt or doesn't pan out then this class will have had a gaping hole.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Same here, but I think we end up with 2 QBs in the 2015 class. Also, I would be surprised if Worley is not the starter this year.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Traitorous Leopard posted:

We're just about to the point where 4 teams in our division are going to be in preseason national title talks year after year. We might actually be fielding decent teams, but no one will be able to tell because we're gonna get dust rolled in conference play constantly! :shepicide:

Yeah, Arkansas fans are in the same boat with you. At this point, it seems like a positive feedback loop with success multiplying success. Not sure where it all ends but I can see years of failure ahead for anyone who falls even a little behind.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Having John L Smith as your coach, even for a minute, can set a program back decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Having John L Smith as your coach, even for a minute, can set a program back decades.

This is what we are finding. Somehow didn't work against MSU, though.

• Locked thread