Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Top 100 Cornerback, Garrett Taylor, out of Virginia has committed to Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas finally wins a heads-up recruiting battle with A&M (also Oklahoma, Baylor, Ole Miss, and others) for safety Deshon Elliott. He's currently a 3-star but he's within a hair of a 4th. Not a huge splash or anything but we'll take recruiting victories where we can get them for the moment.

Texas also got a pledge from 4* OT Toby Weathersby over the weekend, who had an A&M offer.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Zypher posted:

Texas also got a pledge from 4* OT Toby Weathersby over the weekend, who had an A&M offer.

Jesus this dude is 300 lbs? What a beast!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jovon Robinson, was a solid, not quite elite 4* RB who signed with Auburn in '12 but was ruled ineligible for having his high school grades changed by a counselor. He's now a 5* coming out of JUCO, one of the best RBs in the class period and very likely to be a one-and-done. Lists Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee as his favorites but still describes Auburn as "the best fit" and says not much has changed.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
3* Prentice McKinney committed to ND.

That seems out of nowhere, but its always nice to keep landing Texas kids.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This weekend I have to work a 7-on-7 event and we'll have Byron Cowart, George Campbell (I think he's still a Michigan commit), Jeff Holland and Kevin Tolliver (LSU commit) here. If I hear anything interesting, I'll be sure to pass it along.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

UCF had a player in 2010 that they were calling the next Brandon Marshall, named Jordan Akins. Upon signing, he decided to go the MLB rout. Well, he's going back to UCF now and is a 21 year old freshman

In 2010
Ht:6'3"
Wt:185 lbs

Should be good for them

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Arkansas running back Alex Collins rumors are running rampant (VIP) http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Arkansas-running-back-Alex-Collins-rumors-are-running-rampant-185342 … via @Hawgs247

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Jovon Robinson, was a solid, not quite elite 4* RB who signed with Auburn in '12 but was ruled ineligible for having his high school grades changed by a counselor. He's now a 5* coming out of JUCO, one of the best RBs in the class period and very likely to be a one-and-done. Lists Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee as his favorites but still describes Auburn as "the best fit" and says not much has changed.

I wonder if this would still be true if Derrick Henry wasn't a real person that actually exists

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor just picked up JaMycal Hasty at RB. Sounds like a fantastic get for us. People on SBnation and ESPN singing praises about his hands, change of direction, raw speed, etc.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 29, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spiritus Nox posted:

Baylor just picked up JaMycal Hasty at RB. Sounds like a fantastic get for us. People on SBnation and ESPN singing praises about his hands, change of direction, raw speed, etc.

name has the word "haste" in it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

name has the word "haste" in it

He wouldn't be a Baylor RB without one of the best loving names you've ever seen, now would he? :colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa's class thus far is all white guys who are either scrappy high school QBs or offensive linemen. It is the most perfectly Kirk Ferentz class possible. I mean ideally we'd also have a couple two star grey shirt safeties who inexplicably will start a freshmen but that can't happen until the end and I'm sure it's coming l.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Iowa's class thus far is all white guys who are either scrappy high school QBs or offensive linemen. It is the most perfectly Kirk Ferentz class possible. I mean ideally we'd also have a couple two star grey shirt safeties who inexplicably will start a freshmen but that can't happen until the end and I'm sure it's coming l.

Coulda had yourself a perfect new Freedom Akinmoladun but nooooooo, gotta let him slip to Nebraska

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hasty is a big get for Baylor. Fits the mold for the typical Briles rb for sure. I'm jealous.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

pillsburysoldier posted:

Arkansas running back Alex Collins rumors are running rampant (VIP) http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Arkansas-running-back-Alex-Collins-rumors-are-running-rampant-185342 … via @Hawgs247

Care to elaborate what the article says? Sounds like click bait to me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One addendum about Hasty - while he apparently primarily plays Running Back, I'm hearing Baylor is more interested in playing him at Slot Receiver. Ronald Jones II is currently Baylor's primary interest at RB. Works for me, always fun seeing more evidence of Art Briles' desire to leave no opposing secondary untraumatized.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

Coulda had yourself a perfect new Freedom Akinmoladun but nooooooo, gotta let him slip to Nebraska

That made me so mad. Stanzi said "love it or leave it" on national television. We made our logo red white and blue way before other schools started ripping that off. Herky dressed up as Captain America for Halloween. WE TURNED THE ENTIRE STADIUM INTO A FLAG. How does someone named "Freedom" go anywhere else? :mad:

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
WR Jalen Guyton to ND.

That's two Texas kids. cool.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Care to elaborate what the article says? Sounds like click bait to me

quote:

Collins was suspended for a week by Arkansas Coach Bret Bielema during the offseason conditioning program. Rumors are now out there that Collins has been suspended for the Auburn game to start the 2014 season. A source close to Collins was asked about the latest rumor.

“I am not aware of him being suspended,” The source said. “He hasn't worked as hard as he should have and they have moved the Arkansas kid (Korliss Marshall) ahead of him. They are trying to light a fire under him.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Somebody at Arkansas isn't working hard enough but I don't think it's the running back

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
Two 4* recruits in two days for PSU - 4* OG Steven Gonzalez yesterday and 4* ILB Josh Barajas today. I'm not certain either sticks, but this is some ridiculous momentum.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I don't know if anything I noticed at the event this weekend is news to anyone, but here goes:

- I hadn't realized WR George Campbell decommitted from Michigan, but he seems pretty enamored with FSU. I also had no idea he had such a big personality. He's the opposite of Ermon Lane from last year, who was very quiet and reserved.

- DE Byron Cowart is a grown rear end man at only 18-years old. He is my mental image of what I imagine American folk hero John Henry would have looked like. As for a college, he's all business and isn't tipping his hand at all. He was actually the only kid around that didn't seem like he was under any school's spell. Reminds me a bit of Da'Shawn Hand in that respect.

At the end of the day, however, this event had more than 100 high ranked prospects from Florida, and a group from D.C., but in three years of this, it felt like FSU was in the driver's seat for nearly every kid there, or could be if they wanted to be. It's never been like that before. Although I guess it makes sense now that they're the hot team and defending champ.

The next big event on campus is in June, and that's our national event. We'll have groups of kids from all over the U.S., and there are usually a ton of new commits/de-commits by then.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulhumatic posted:

Two 4* recruits in two days for PSU - 4* OG Steven Gonzalez yesterday and 4* ILB Josh Barajas today. I'm not certain either sticks, but this is some ridiculous momentum.

Seeing PSU at #2 on 247 is almost, like, a mirage.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

yeah I honestly have no idea how we have such a presence in the Virginia/DC area. It's been that way for a long time

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Elotana posted:

Alex Collins

After seeing Marshall run all over LSU, I'm fine with the competition.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Doronin posted:

I don't know if anything I noticed at the event this weekend is news to anyone, but here goes:

- I hadn't realized WR George Campbell decommitted from Michigan, but he seems pretty enamored with FSU. I also had no idea he had such a big personality. He's the opposite of Ermon Lane from last year, who was very quiet and reserved.

Yes, please.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

After seeing Marshall run all over LSU, I'm fine with the competition.

LSU's run defense (well, the whole defense, really) was pretty bad last year, so I wouldn't read much into that.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I want to post mbison-yes a thousand times.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's never easier to recruit either coming off a title or hiring a new coach(much less at a prestige school much less a coach already known for his recruiting).

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 1, 2014

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dattserberg posted:

Yes, please.

In the 3-years I've been involved with 7v7 events, Campbell might be the best overall receiver I've seen in that format. One thing that stood out for me is how he tries to make every catch an 'NFL' catch, because he always tries to get both feet in. He's the only high schooler I've ever seen really put a noticeable emphasis on that.

It's also worth noting that Campbell played a lot of safety at this last event, and was one of the best safeties on the field. As tall as he is, the kid has incredible instincts for the position.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 1, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks, shut up about him now.

:mad:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Regnevelc posted:

Thanks, shut up about him now.

:mad:

I just added more to it for you. :)

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
^^^^ I mean I know what they're going for, but that card basically says "Running backs! We've had one that you've definitely heard of, and then one great RB since you were born!!!! And that's about it! Probably a bad idea for you to come here if you want to get drafted high!"

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Brian Fellows posted:

^^^^ I mean I know what they're going for, but that card basically says "Running backs! We've had one that you've definitely heard of, and then one great RB since you were born!!!! And that's about it! Probably a bad idea for you to come here if you want to get drafted high!"

It's probably a little better than "come help us avenge our defeat by the barbarians of Georgia Southern"

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Malik McDowell has sent in his letter to MSU. Finally....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/10714324/malik-mcdowell-parents-relent-let-join-michigan-state-spartans

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas apparently got off to a really good start with the #2 TE in the country, Will Gragg of Arkansas. Some excerpts from a 247 article behind the paywall that got posted to another board:

quote:

The result of the trip? It's all good for the Longhorns.
"(My impression) went extremely up," Gragg said. "I came in with high expectations and they exceeded all of those to the highest level. It was great just being able to interact with the coaches and the players."

It was so good that not only did Gragg go ahead and schedule his official visit to Texas, but also admitted on Tuesday that he likely wouldn't be able to wait until the fall to visit again.

"I want to get down there maybe one or two more times in the summer and then come down there for my official on Sept. 6," he said.

As for his already scheduled official visit, Gragg confirmed that Texas is now in it until the end and that is why he decided to plan the visit this far in advance. Alabama, Arkansas and Ole Miss are also the other major players for landing the talented tight end, but Texas has put themselves in a very good position moving forward.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 2, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Gragg seems like he is going to be one that plays the field for awhile. I suspect Arkansas or Alabama (probably the latter) will get him. His brother went to Arkansas but I suspect he may want to go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Gragg seems like he is going to be one that plays the field for awhile. I suspect Arkansas or Alabama (probably the latter) will get him. His brother went to Arkansas but I suspect he may want to go elsewhere.

Very possible. I feel like Texas is getting lots of good vibes from blue chip recruits but only a couple of badass commits so far. If this season happens to go great I suspect we'll end up with a killer 2015 class, if not we'll probably end up with something more like our 2013-14 classes.

• Locked thread