Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Is his nickname "Crime Dog" or "J'Penny" I can't decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alabama's been killing it this past week and it's disheartening for everyone else who wants top tier national talent :(

Penn State is also doing really well right now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Name tool is way strong on this one

Dude sounds like he was supposed to be named D'Anthony but someone answered right after taking a big bite of something.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Alabama's been killing it this past week and it's disheartening for everyone else who wants top tier national talent :(

I've heard Franklin's been doing a lot of high pressure "commit now or someone will take your spot" stuff. Seems kinda risky if they don't do well this season - if a guy is just holding a spot and sees a weak product on the field they might be more likely to flip late. Nothing sucks more than scrambling to fill a need due to a late flip.

In other news, ND gets a commit from OL Trevor Ruhland.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

Dude sounds like he was supposed to be named D'Anthony but someone answered right after taking a big bite of something.

racist

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Fussy Dutchman posted:

I've heard Franklin's been doing a lot of high pressure "commit now or someone will take your spot" stuff. Seems kinda risky if they don't do well this season - if a guy is just holding a spot and sees a weak product on the field they might be more likely to flip late. Nothing sucks more than scrambling to fill a need due to a late flip.

It didn't negatively effect Hoke.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fussy Dutchman posted:

Butch Jones had almost the whole class full before last seasons started, went 5-7, and only dropped 1 recruit out of over 31 (this was a class with 2 5* and 16 4*) and that was mutual. Of course during your first 2 seasons you can get away with that a lot easier than later on.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 24, 2014

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

nate fisher posted:

Butch Jones had almost the whole class full before last seasons started, went 5-7, and only dropped 1 recruit out of over 31 (this was a class with 2 5* and 16 4*) and that was mutual. Of course during your first 2 seasons you can get away with that a lot easier than later on.

CMS was the same way. 22/27 were committed before or during the first month of the season. Kentucky went 2-10 and only lost one commitment who was a low 3* that blew up during his senior season and flipped to FSU. Kentucky's 10 4* commits (Rivals) matched the number of 4* commits UK was able to get on campus (most of whom never contributed) from 2002-2012.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
A few small-to-medium cracks suddenly appearing in the A&M ultra-class. Within the last few days, 247's #1 Dual Threat QB Kyler Murray (long thought to be a lock) took what was apparently a very positive visit to Oregon, #3 RB Rodney Anderson officially decommitted, and #2 DT Daylon Mack abruptly removed all the references to A&M from his twitter page.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Former Everything posted:

CMS was the same way. 22/27 were committed before or during the first month of the season. Kentucky went 2-10 and only lost one commitment who was a low 3* that blew up during his senior season and flipped to FSU. Kentucky's 10 4* commits (Rivals) matched the number of 4* commits UK was able to get on campus (most of whom never contributed) from 2002-2012.

Just say Mark Stoops. It's asking a lot for non-SEC East to remember that Kentucky has a football team, let alone the coach's name.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Not saying it can't or won't work, just that it's kind of risky. I suppose Franklin does have some pretty easy built-in excuses if things go to poo poo this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yeah I weep for FSU's recruiting

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah I weep for FSU's recruiting

You don't know how hard it was that one year when they only had a top 10 class and not a top 5. It affected everything!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I haven't been paying as much attention to recruiting lately, but I just realized Alabama got a commitment from Shawn Burgess-Becker, only as a safety. I've seen that kid a lot in 7v7, and he has the most impressive ability to track the ball in the air and anticipate where it's going that I've ever seen. Not to be hyperbolic, but the only other players I've seen with that level of instinct to track the ball were Sean Taylor and Ed Reed. Playing receiver, his QB could just lob the ball wherever, and somehow, Burgess would track it, get to it and score. He also has incredible hands. I'm really, really excited about his commitment if it sticks, because he could be a gamechanger at safety.

The only real threat to that commitment would be if the family ties to Miami take hold, but Al Golden sort of made a mistake by not offering earlier than he did. Either way, he's been a high priority for Nick Saban for nearly three years for good reason.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Doronin posted:

but Al Golden sort of made a mistake

Miami.txt

SteelFusion
Jan 10, 2006

that cow college

4* safety Jordan Colbert is announcing today by driving to his selected college to commit in person. Sources are saying he has arrived in Auburn.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

SteelFusion posted:

4* safety Jordan Colbert is announcing today by driving to his selected college to commit in person. Sources are saying he has arrived in Auburn.

That's pretty cool.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Haha is he doing that because last week Saban demanded a guy walk into his office and commit in person?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
High 3* DE/DT Harry Lewis commits to VT over offers from Penn State, Georgia Tech, Duke, Maryland, UVA, good regional prospect who projects to a VT DT with a frame of 6'2 260 already.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Someone please tell me the difference between a high 3* and a low/middling 3*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

easy, one is threeier than the other

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

High three is the one that four years from now you're like "yeah he was a three star but look what coach x did :smugdog:" and low is no one remembers because he never saw the field anyhow.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If he commits to your team, he's a high 3*. He's a low/middling if he commits to the bad guys.

If he then later flips, he's a 4* (pick favorite service)/ consensus 3*

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

There actually is something of a difference, and that I know this kills me.

Often times recruiting sites punish kids on evaluations if kids don't go to their football camps. In that case, the kid is then 'not given the benefit of the doubt' if he just looks like a good football player and not quite the ideal physical specimen.

Another time a 'high 3/low 4' rating comes up is the actual exact opposite of this - could be a pretty great physical specimen and camps pretty well, but his film is very lacking.

This rating can also come up is a 4 star has really bad grade issues and is a big risk

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Depends on what service you use. Rivals has multiple levels within the 3*. 5.5, 5.6, 5.7. ESPN, when they were trying, and 247 do it out of 100.

Then you get into interpretation of what that means...

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
You would see players who would have all the eastern schools offer, maybe VT or Ohio State, but no top SEC, Texas, USC, Michigan, etc... Those types are right on the border of ***/**** for me, you live and die with those guys.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
High 3's are also your most likely guys to gain a star down the road. Lewis will probably have a decent shot at being a 4* on 247 by the time NSD hits.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Luke Hiers, one of the top 2-3 Centers in the country, has committed to UK.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Luke Hiers, one of the top 2-3 Centers in the country, has committed to UK.

Had to do a double-take on the thread title to make sure I was in the football forum.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
Jordan Thompson, 3-star DE from La Salle HS in Cincinnati commits to Northwestern. Thompson had offers from Notre Dame, MSU, Iowa, WVU and others.

Another nice get for NU which seems to be putting together a solid class despite "distractions" from the unionization debate. That's 9 commits for Fitzgerald but 4 are DE's and 7 of them play defense. I'd like to see some a few OL commits to balance out this class.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

6'9" 4* OT Sterling Jenkins picked PSU over OSU. There are not enough mbison yeses.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
3/4* WR CJ Sanders commits to ND.

Dr. Foom
Jul 5, 2007

I have approximate knowledge of many things.

Komet posted:

6'9" 4* OT Sterling Jenkins picked PSU over OSU. There are not enough mbison yeses.

An hour later, 4* QB Brandon Wimbush committed to PSU. This has been a good night.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Dr. Foom posted:

An hour later, 4* QB Brandon Wimbush committed to PSU. This has been a good night.

Honestly, I would've been shocked if he came to us. Urban is slobbering all over Torrance Gibson right now, and I sort of figured it's because Wimbush told him "thanks but no".

Losing out on Jenkins sucks too. But, we did pretty well on that in the last class so I'm not going to freak out. 6'9" though...Dude's almost too tall for football.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Urban might actually be the laziest recruiter not named Frank Beamer I've ever seen. The Eric Whitehead offer is such a joke, it makes me wonder if they watch tape or just track who VT offers.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

TheGreyGhost posted:

Honestly, I would've been shocked if he came to us. Urban is slobbering all over Torrance Gibson right now, and I sort of figured it's because Wimbush told him "thanks but no".

I'd like to see Gibson at UT for a lot of reasons, but a very important one is gently caress Urban.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'd like to see Gibson at UT for a lot of reasons, but a very important one is gently caress Urban.

According to what Gibson said yesterday, OSU is not even in his top 3 as of now (UT leads followed by Auburn and LSU). Going to be a long wait until December.

Either way it looks like Tennessee should get a commit this month from 4* QB Zach Gentry. If we don't get Gibson look for current commit Jauan Jennings (top 100 player) to get his shot as a dual-threat QB.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What's up with OSU's recruiting this year? Last year they knocked it out of the park and led Urban to make his smug little "Maybe other teams in the conference should recruit better." comment. Now PSU and Nebraska are the only ones in the Top 10 recruiting and OSU is like, 60th. How does a team that's gone 23-1 the past two years do so bad up to this point?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

nate fisher posted:

According to what Gibson said yesterday, OSU is not even in his top 3 as of now (UT leads followed by Auburn and LSU). Going to be a long wait until December.

Either way it looks like Tennessee should get a commit this month from 4* QB Zach Gentry. If we don't get Gibson look for current commit Jauan Jennings (top 100 player) to get his shot as a dual-threat QB.

Ehhhh, when a kid has a top 15, I'm not concerned. He's not anywhere close to making a decision. Much less, he's visited all the schools ahead of OSU so far, which certainly has to be a factor. I just hope Urban isn't a moron again and offers a few other kids as backups instead of pining over one dude like he did with DeShaun Watson last year.

limeincoke posted:

What's up with OSU's recruiting this year? Last year they knocked it out of the park and led Urban to make his smug little "Maybe other teams in the conference should recruit better." comment. Now PSU and Nebraska are the only ones in the Top 10 recruiting and OSU is like, 60th. How does a team that's gone 23-1 the past two years do so bad up to this point?

It's a mixture of fatigue on the part of the staff, the prospects overall this year, and the fact that recruiting is happening earlier and earlier at this point. Urban's basically been burning his top recruiting coaches since a week or two before NSD, and the lack of time off is getting to them. I imagine it'll be better once camp season and the real season hit, and kids are coming to them instead of the other way around. It's a lot harder to talk up Ohio State when you're rarely recruiting in Ohio.

PSU is getting a nice bump from a shiny new coach. Don't think too much about that. And they would've been recruiting top 20 classes with BOB if it weren't for the bowl ban to worry about. People forget that OSU literally was just cherry picking guys that ordinarily would've been all PSU if it weren't for their sanctions the past few years. Areas like New England are now being contested between the two, and Penn State is finally getting their legs back in the area. And Nebraska will absolutely not hold that kind of momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheGreyGhost posted:

Ehhhh, when a kid has a top 15, I'm not concerned. He's not anywhere close to making a decision. Much less, he's visited all the schools ahead of OSU so far, which certainly has to be a factor. I just hope Urban isn't a moron again and offers a few other kids as backups instead of pining over one dude like he did with DeShaun Watson last year.

I agree, and I always thought that he would end up at Auburn or OSU. Also Tennessee might have the strongest Twitter presence in college football, so I do question how truly on top is Tennessee for him. Still I am surprised Tennessee has a legit chance of landing him.

That said when is the last time a 5 star QB waited until January to commit? I think that helps OSU and Auburn.

• Locked thread