Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Sounds interesting ill check it out.

Our Weekly pnp group is really just a hack and slash. Story based sounds cool.

So do all of the ships have a shared continuity? How many players do you have currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

What's the difference between Engage and ACTD? Besides this one being goon run, that is...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Had a ton of fun running a very inventive version of the Kobayashi Maru this morning. I've never done chat based RPG before, but the format really works for Star Trek. Tons of action, no need for dice rollers or anything. It was a lot of fun.

Looking forward to the next mission!

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_yE6fbTr8

There's always THAT guy...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Missed the mission yesterday - are you still having one on Saturday? If so, what time?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised at how little movement this thread has made, Engage has over 60 players now, I think? At least a half-dozen from SA...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So far, for me at least, its been like a d20 style game without the dice and more focus on the story and characters (which, honestly, is a welcome change from my hack and slash weekly group).

I've played in two of the simulation missions and one real mission so far (an hour each, at the scheduled time) and I've written a half dozen "logs" for my character.

It's been a ton of fun. It's like a co-op creative writing game, with RPG elements.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Bee posted:

Come on, don't strawman me. There's a difference between "let's kill everything in the monster manual" and "I'd like to know how I succeed on something". In my three hour games last Sat, we didn't shoot anything, but we tracked werewolves, yelled at each other, practiced frontier psychology and interrogated criminals. A resolution mechanic doesn't have to mean "combat" and you know it.

I think you wanted this game to be something that it's not. There are no stat-sheets or successes or failures - the characters do what they do, and the Game Director drives the story forward.

If your character does the following:

::Taps at his console, reverses power to the engines, and vents plasma in a forward arc::

The Game Director might say "ACTION: the ship breaks free of the cutting beam" - or he might say "ACTION: the plasma has no effect! The cutting beam rips through 3 more decks"

Your "success" and "failure" in the game seems to be more cinematic and based in storytelling, than it does with "did I do the right thing?" The caliber of the :techno: doesn't seem to matter. It's about the characters and how they interact. If that doesn't appeal to you, v:v:v

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

We desperately need a Medical Officer on the Rho. Dealing with all of those casualties without one was a hassle.

Hopefully we'll have one by "Tuesday."

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Shadowesque posted:

Hm, it's been absolute ages since I've ever worked IRC, but maybe I'll see about joining you lot and whipping someone up...

There are some players pushing an mIRC script they made, it's not very good. I posted a guide on the ST:E forums for how to get mIRC up and running with different colors for different positions, it makes the game a lot easier to dissect, instead of a wall of text.

Also, who the gently caress uses MSChat in 2014?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

There's a mission in an hour at 2pm Eastern time, if anyone wants to drop in. It's a one and done, so you can participate or just spectate.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

The USS Saturn got caught in a temporal loop and was nearly destroyed in a gravity well. That was fun.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Another fantastic adventure on the station Sigma Rho this morning. We didn't all die, somehow!

Congratulations to the two Officers who received promotions and decorations today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty stoked for the US evening Timezone ship to drop. The Rho is fantastic, but waking up rear end early on Saturdays sucks. Can't wait for a good time slot for us US folks. I wonder how quickly it'll fill up?

• Locked thread