Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Last night some guys brought the booster box they bought and wanted to draft it instead of just cracking them, so we had ourselves a fun ol draft (and hey, no raredrafting when you get to keep none of the cards!)

I ended up with a base Madru deck, having to splash abzan guide and abzan charm due to lack of playable cards (my bad on that part), and the deck was vicious I was thinking the games would be slow and durdely like what I saw at the prerealse, but it was nothing like that - the combination of multiple Chiefs of the Edge, plus low cost threats plus butcher of the horde plus ponyback brigade meant that yes, it took me quite a few in-game turns to win, but once you start rolling it's very hard to really stop you. The games were surprisingly quick, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Is anyone else disappointed by how this set is in limited so far? It's really really slow, like Eldrazi slow, but without any late game power. After sealed last week and draft tonight, I'm completely bored by the limited environment. Every match seems to end up with the board completely cluttered with creatures that no one attacks with because they'll just trade with something. Everything is so evenly matched and removal is so sparse, that a lot of the time, it's just waiting around until someone plays something with evasion. That 5 mana 3/2 unblockable is maybe one of the best commons in the set. Every single round tonight went to time, some people decked themselves, several draws. One dude was playing Altar of the Brood and was actually winning with it. Just stick it out there and have the opponent incidentally mill themselves when he played a creature or land and then sit around and let the board get clogged up until the opponent decks. I'm really not looking forward to 4 more months of this set.

Sealed formats are always a little faster at the start, and draft formats are always a little slower. There are plenty of tools for a good Mardu aggro deck or Abzan bombs, I think this format will be around average speed - certainly no Zendikar but not AVR slow either.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

If I cast Savage Punch while I control Bloodfire Expert, the prowess effect should trigger, but does the Savage Punch become ferocious?

wigglin fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 27, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Pete Zah posted:

If I cast Savage Punch while I control Bloodfire Expert, the prowess effect should trigger, but does the Savage Punch become ferocious?
Yes, because before Savage Punch does anything Prowess is triggered and goes on top of the Savage Punch, resolving first, allowing the Ferocious mode of Savage Punch to be active.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

neetengie posted:

Yes, because before Savage Punch does anything Prowess is triggered and goes on top of the Savage Punch, resolving first, allowing the Ferocious mode of Savage Punch to be active.

Awesome, that just drastically improved my kitchen-table Temur deck :)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

Is anyone else disappointed by how this set is in limited so far? It's really really slow, like Eldrazi slow, but without any late game power. After sealed last week and draft tonight, I'm completely bored by the limited environment. Every match seems to end up with the board completely cluttered with creatures that no one attacks with because they'll just trade with something. Everything is so evenly matched and removal is so sparse, that a lot of the time, it's just waiting around until someone plays something with evasion.

Not agreed at all, really. I've liked the format a lot so far and I don't think it's only the new format always feeling fresher than it really is in the end. I see maybe a bit more matches going to time than in general (at least in the prerelease it was evident, but how much of that is just being unfamiliar with the cards I can't say) but hardly "every match". Finished all my four rounds with twenty minutes to spare last night and wasn't playing an aggressive deck.

Also I really disagree with the notion that removal is sparse in the format: we're not in the times of common Doom Blades anymore, but we haven't had it this good with the removal in several formats. There's ten completely maindeckable common removal, and like a dozen uncommons including almost all the charms. And this is not even counting bounce-like effects (Force Away, Set Adrift, Jeskai Charm's first mode) that are very well off in a format with big mana spending on playing morphs and turning morps, and pumping mana to Outlast creatures, or solid combat tricks like Feat of Resistance or tempo cards like Crippling Chill.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Small thing but one of my favorite features of the new cards are bullet pointed effects on charms or anything with a choice.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Khans Limited actually a crap ton of removal, its just mostly pretty inefficient, but that doesn't matter for Limited. Throttle, Bring Low, Murderous Cut, Abzan Charm, Arc Lightning, Arrow Storm, Crackling Doom, Crater's Claws, Deap Drop, Crippling Chill (pseudo removal), Death Frenzy, Duneblast, End Hostilities, Icy Blast, Jeskai Charm, Kill Shot, Mardu Charm, Master the Way, Ride Down, Rite of the Serpent, Savage Punch, Smite the Monstrous, Utter End, Sultai Charm, Swift Kick, Temur Charm, Water Whirl, Windstorm, Winterflame.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Release FNM stories: Got to hear about a guy who lost to a Jeskai Ascendency "Storm" deck get huffy and tell the player "You're not playing a real deck", goldfished said Jeskai Ascendency deck and after learning how to mess with the escalating stacks of triggers, bopped someone for 30 on turn 4. Later I drafted, got confused about what set I was playing as, and ended up with a Naya deck :frogdowns:. I then put a Meandering Towershell on the Dragon Throne of Tarkir and all was well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pete Zah posted:

I friggin love this combo. It was awesome for me in the prerelease.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Pete Zah posted:

Also hilarious is Savage Punch with Dragon Style Twins. Turns it into a 6/6 double strike.

Went 2-0-1 drafting abzan at fnm. Would've been 3-0 if I had one more turn in round 2. I would just like to say that Swarm of Bloodflies into Duneblast with a cluttered board is my favourite thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New thread for Khans season!

• Locked thread