Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm a newer player (started playing real magic with RTR) and one of the cards I quickly loved was this one:

It's like, wait, WHAT do I get for 5 mana!? An 8/8!?

And then I was able to populate it a few times playing RTR draft and it made my heart sing, hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm a newer player (started playing real magic with RTR) and one of the cards I quickly loved was this one:

It's like, wait, WHAT do I get for 5 mana!? An 8/8!?

And then I was able to populate it a few times playing RTR draft and it made my heart sing, hahaha.

Technically it costs you 6 and required you to play a land that didn't generate colors in a multicolor format. That said, it was fine if you counted it as a spell, etc.

Still, Grove of the Guardian wasn't that great considering all the evasive decks and solid removal in the format and that the 8/8 doesn't have trample.

Here's another great card:

Man why won't they reprint this :negative:. Pretty good story involving this: Vampires player Mind Sludges me for 5 cards, I'm on 6 mana and 6 cards in hand and one is Open the Vaults :getin: (also pitched a couple of O-rings to his Mind Sludge for the epic rubs-in).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 7, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retcon posted:

He was fun in limited and he's a fun card to build around for janky combo decks. Really like that he can swing for absurd amounts of damage sometimes.

I wish they had just reprinted this guy instead of printing Nivix Cyclops for RtR.
Just 4 of them + 4 YPs and ALL the instants!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Man why won't they reprint this :negative:. Best story involving this: Vampires player Mind Sludges me for 5 cards, I'm on 6 mana and 6 cards in hand and one is Open the Vaults :getin:.

Probably because we're currently in a block where this is ridiculously good.

I expect it to randomly be reprinted in a set with little to no enchantment presence.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Probably because we're currently in a block where this is ridiculously good.

I expect it to randomly be reprinted in a set with little to no enchantment presence.

It was originally printed in the same standard format as Alara block so there was kind of a big artifact presence, including two artifact cyclers, some nice 187 artifacts (Filigree Angel), Oblivion Ring, and Sphinx of the Steel Wind. Also Time Sieve.

I really don't think it would be remotely as broken in the current standard. 6 is a pretty tough mana cost to get to and there aren't a lot of particularly great high-cost enchantments to cheat out on-color.

If anything it might be the symmetrical effect. Also I was pretty sad Open the Vaults rotated out before Scars rotated in :v:.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
One of my first decks was White Weenie. Crusades, 8 Pump Knights, 4 White Knights, etc. Used all the prot black to try and murder Necro decks as soon as possible. Won a couple of tournaments with it!

Like every noob, I also had a mill deck ... but mine was turbo-mill! I used Ashnod's Cylex, Millstone, Howling Mines and Helm of Obedience! Wrath of God, Energy Arc ... lots of fun ways to not die.

Favorite card? Recurring Nightmare! Especially with Peregrine Drake/Great Whale for infinite jerkiness.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
4-way tie between Heartless Summoning, Kiln Fiend, Birthing Pod, and Into the Roil.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Stasis is also my favorite card but since it has been done, let us go with my second favorite card of all time ever.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's gotta be Bitterblossom, I love everything about that card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Brimaz is already down to 25 bucks the day of release... This is no Voice folks.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got a quick deckbox question.

The Forgestoker dragon release card that you got when you chose red, do you enter that as promo or foiled? I also got one from the pre release event deck, as well. So I have them entered one as foiled and one as promo. And the foil has no "set" and is valued at $4. While the Promo is valued at $5.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kilazar posted:

The Forgestoker dragon release card that you got when you chose red, do you enter that as promo or foiled? I also got one from the pre release event deck, as well. So I have them entered one as foiled and one as promo. And the foil has no "set" and is valued at $4. While the Promo is valued at $5.

Well, that explains why Forgestoker Promos are 5 bucks. Weird.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I think my pet card in my cube is Smokestack, because I love drafting the rear end in a top hat pox deck.

I love Stasis, especially the art. In fact my current playmat is the Stasis art.

I also have a huge soft spot for:

Mind Knives!? That's clearly a Mind Fork.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I think my pet card in my cube is Smokestack, because I love drafting the rear end in a top hat pox deck.

I love Stasis, especially the art. In fact my current playmat is the Stasis art.

I also have a huge soft spot for:

Mind Knives!? That's clearly a Mind Fork.

That is CLEARLY multiple mind knives from the same mind origin.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Kilazar posted:

I enter them as a foil promo, since that's what it is. The foil price listed is pulled from TCGPlayer, but it pulls the set foil price instead of the prerelease foil due to how they've coded it. I haven't seen TCGPlayer's API but I'm not sure what they can do about it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

mcmagic posted:

Brimaz is already down to 25 bucks the day of release... This is no Voice folks.

Was he higher? I thought he was sitting around $25 on TCG preorder this past week. I am assuming as supply goes down (everyone opening boxes right now) that the price may go up a bit.

I am hoping NOT as I want a playset for my W/R Murder deck...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

Was he higher? I thought he was sitting around $25 on TCG preorder this past week. I am assuming as supply goes down (everyone opening boxes right now) that the price may go up a bit.

He shot up to 30. Then creeped back down to 25.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Anything sunburst is my jam. My first deck used a ton of it and it's probably my favorite mechanic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OssiansFolly posted:

He was at 32 a few days ago.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Thank god I'd like a set without shipping $100 on it

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

Thank god I'd like a set without shipping $100 on it

So here's a question. If I get a Brimaz in my box (crossing fingers) do I sell it now and buy what I need later when the price drops? I'm assuming it is going to go down in price but do you think it will hit sub $15 within the month?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

OssiansFolly posted:

So here's a question. If I get a Brimaz in my box (crossing fingers) do I sell it now and buy what I need later when the price drops? I'm assuming it is going to go down in price but do you think it will hit sub $15 within the month?

If someone could tell you the answer to this with 100% certainty, they should be off getting rich

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
I'm on the Winter Orb train. Love the art, love the massive effect. I've always been a fan of single cards that change the game for everyone drastically. Maybe that's why my #2 is Stasis.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

OssiansFolly posted:

I don't have one, but I think if I did I'd take that gamble.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Easily my favorite card is Wildfire

I first started playing back during kamigawa/ravnica block. My very first deck was Eminent Domain, this deck was so much loving fun. Id burn you down with wildfire, then take your remaining lands with annex/confiscate, then bludgeon you to death with dragons. My second was WildFire/Vore, id bounce your poo poo, drop a Magnivore, then your you down. I think I liked playing these two decks because It would piss off my opponents to no end whenever I would play them. If you think about it, wildfire is the ultimate goon card.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Bread Set Jettison posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

In a similar, way older school way, Lord of the Pit for me. Someone randomly dropped one in a casual game against me the other day and it really brought me back. Shivan Dragon too. I actually watched a friend trade a Mox Sapphire for a Shivan Dragon once. Magic was way more awesome when I was 13 and didn't know anything about it.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I started with innistrad so my favorite cards are either oliva voldaren or heartless summoning. Or my first commander Kaalia.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

moravec posted:

I'm on the Winter Orb train. Love the art, love the massive effect. I've always been a fan of single cards that change the game for everyone drastically. Maybe that's why my #2 is Stasis.

Plus the German version is "Frostbringer". My cube is all English except for a loving Frostbringer. :black101:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My pet card has gotta be Voidmage Husher. In casual decks and EDH, I always gotta cram that guy in. He can be responsible for really stupid blowouts that nobody sees coming and then people end up playing around a stupid awkward durdle card and that pretty much rules.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
New answer - anything with Jaya Ballard flavour text:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I cast dark ritual a lot when I played casually as a kid

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Current favorite card: Birthing Pod

Nostalgic favorite card from high school: Demonic Hordes

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jitte is my favorite card because I started playing in Champions, and I was awful. Jitte was the first card that I actually realized was good, not because I thought it was cool, but because it was actually good. It helped me win my first FNM with my a White Weenie deck too.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

GonSmithe posted:

Jitte is my favorite card because I started playing in Champions, and I was awful. Jitte was the first card that I actually realized was good, not because I thought it was cool, but because it was actually good. It helped me win my first FNM with my a White Weenie deck too.

I remember how stupid jitte was. If you played during the kamigawa/rav block you had to have jitte in your deck. I was super lucky and found a kmart that had the precon that it came in. Got a playset of those and inkeyes for like $40.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I think it's gotta be between Remand and Vendilion Clique, because I enjoy it when my opponents don't have fun I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Man, I remember how long it took for Jitte to catch on. I read that thing in the spoiler and thought "that card is INSANE." I got my playset at the prerelease for less than $20 overall, because apparently no one had read it.

Once I started playing with it, everyone I played against agreed that the card was completely bonkers.

I got called out for running 4. My response was "sure, it's legendary. I also want it every single game because it wins games."

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The only card remaining from my original collection is my Force of Nature, which my father bought for me for six dollars and wouldn't let me pay him back.

Probably my favorite recent card is Seance, because I ran Seance-Pod for months at FNM and got to re-explain how token copies have the original's CMC every week. I mean, Pod is cool, but Seance was my very special fifty-cent foil baby :3:

aWall
Jan 28, 2003

Football Jesus
My favorite card is probably Juzam Djinn, love, love, love the art.

I also used to build around Ramses Overdark when I was in college (I'm old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Amoeboid Changeling, because look at dat fukken face.

• Locked thread