Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gelectrode :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

I call Polukranos "Manyheads, Planet Swallower"

I don't think anybody enjoys that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LightReaper posted:

In terms of pet names my playgoup has always been fond of Simon (short for simon insanity) for Sire of Insanity. Makes for fun commander games.

One of us: *Tap mana and play demon* Simon says dump your hands!
Everyone else: :(

Sire of Insanity hitting the board isn't fun for anybody in Commander games.

Unless you're the Nekusar :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

Man why won't they reprint this :negative:. Best story involving this: Vampires player Mind Sludges me for 5 cards, I'm on 6 mana and 6 cards in hand and one is Open the Vaults :getin:.

Probably because we're currently in a block where this is ridiculously good.

I expect it to randomly be reprinted in a set with little to no enchantment presence.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kilazar posted:

Got a quick deckbox question.

The Forgestoker dragon release card that you got when you chose red, do you enter that as promo or foiled? I also got one from the pre release event deck, as well. So I have them entered one as foiled and one as promo. And the foil has no "set" and is valued at $4. While the Promo is valued at $5.

Well, that explains why Forgestoker Promos are 5 bucks. Weird.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

Was he higher? I thought he was sitting around $25 on TCG preorder this past week. I am assuming as supply goes down (everyone opening boxes right now) that the price may go up a bit.

I am hoping NOT as I want a playset for my W/R Murder deck...

He shot up to 30. Then creeped back down to 25.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fausts Pen posted:

Amoeboid Changeling, because look at dat fukken face.

All I'm seeing is a Sliver that lets Sliver Overlord Steal not-Slivers. :smuggo:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Allow me to change my favorite card to favorite cards:

Namely, anything with the creature typing "Weird"

Because Weirds are great and are what got me into MtG, along with Angels.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

scribe jones posted:

Take a look at the THS Block Constructed metagame and tell me how many rounds of coverage you would watch http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/6710562

That's...
That's a lot of Naya :stare:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheLoser posted:

Got my BNG fat pack today and opened two gods. :dance:

They were Karametra and Ephara :negative:

They're not terrible, all things considered, but they just don't seem as deliciously fun as Mogis or Xenagos.

Wow, are you me?

Because those are the Gods I opened as well.

And then a Phenax in the following FNM draft. And a Master of Waves.

Special Mention of Things In My Box™

Pain Seer
One of Each Scryland
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Herald of Torment x2
Spirit of the Labyrinth x2
Courser of Kruphix
:swoon:Brimaz:swoon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sometimes I like to buy a pack or two of the new set when I go on break. Usually I win MTG lottery

This time was incredible.

Bird Token, just what I needed for my edh deck! :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I honestly think Tribute is a good way to make punisher cards, Xenabro is almost never bad to slam on turn 3 just because its always a 4/4 when you drop it, even if for one turn.

The Phoenix seems like one of those cards that will be overlooked until rotation in the fall when monored loses some of its really good doublemana and triplemana cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Stinky Pit posted:

That depends on how much you plan you play Modern. Prices are sticky, and the effect once PTQ season is over is going to be that prices will rise slower instead of really falling.

Obviously you know, some archetypes becoming less competitive or whatever will affect individual singles but overall, modern staples are going up, are going to go up faster once PTQ Season is in swing, and then keep going up slower after with maybe a slight dip once the season is over but not much of one.

All I heard was BUY YOUR FISH NOW. :ohdear:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Putting your cards upside-down just makes you a douche though.

We've covered this, but sometimes I tap my stuff to the left :smuggo:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing in Somerset this weekend?

I was going to but decided against it because I am doing Valentine's Day related things and forgot to take off of work for that weekend anyway :suicide:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A big flaming stink posted:

Unless it's named Mutavault :qq:

They sank down to 17 when M14 came out.

You had your chance. :colbert:

As did I :negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Samael posted:

I just traded a Elspeth for a mutavault yesterday, dunno if that is a good trade or not. :( Now I need one more to put in my deck, though I can't seem to find one under £20.

Elspeth averages about 25 in the States, Mutavault 40.

I'd say you made out.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I usually see elspeth for around $18 and I've seen mutavaults selling regularly for $30-40 so it sounds like someone ran off with a good trade. I hate mutavaults because I dont have any and they're so expensive and theyre good in almost every deck. Cant wait for them to rotate out.

I can wait because then Izzet goes back to being mediocre at best after we get all our new toys in April. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Oh man, if this happened, I would be ecstatic. I've had a standard Izzet deck for a while now that's been casual but still very consistent and strong. If something like that popped up, I would definitely try my hand at making it competitive.

Do you happen to have the list on you?

I've been trying to make Izzet work and it just does not agree with me in the slightest despite loving the color combination. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

In today's Uncharted Realms we learned some neat plot / setting stuff. Apparently Elspeth killing that Hydra really pissed Nylea off, Kruphix (GU God) is apparently the eldest of the Gods and spoke for the first time in forever making all the gods basically retreat into the heavens and lock up the shop after Xenagos got in, which is why Kiora is able to strut around pretending to be Thassa since apparently even Thassa does not want to go against Kruphix what since he is the old guy.

Older than Heliod, the supposed Zeus of this Pantheon?

drat :stare:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

I'm going to assume this is the announcement for Conspiracy but I'm just going to wait for someone else to figure it out.

WE'RE GOING BACK TO PHYREXIA?! :supaburn:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

The gods drew lots / sticks to see who got what territory / dominion, and Zeus basically cheated because he knew which one was the biggest one, which was the Heavens and the most desirable territory, what since it's basically "hey you get to be King of the Gods".

So basically chock up another one for "Zeus is an enormous dick."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

Wasteland, force of will, fetches

All at uncommon.

I would buy a box immediately.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

A box? lol, I'd wipe everyone out I could.

I mean I actually have to watch my spending due to bills n junk and I'd figure the average on those would be about like 300 so.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The idea behind Clockwork Librarian is absolute insanity, and I hope they make more cards that interact with the actual process of draft. Drafting that card to exchange it for an extra spicy pack of cards later in the draft is just so cool.

Not sure how thats going to work on MODO though!

You might just use it's effect like you would in a game, except in a draft, it'll announce someone has open and taken Clockwork Librarian.

And then put it in the pack and you take two cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly if you want to play Commander as little as possible without depriving your friends another body to hit just play Niv Mizzet, you'll be out in 3 turns, guaranteed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm curious to see how people play him during draft. It immediately jumps out at me that acquiring one pack one means SIT ON IT and use him pick 1 on a subsequent pack when you can snag two powerful cards (ideal case is if you crack a rare and a foil rare that are both playable, for example).

I think he'll almost always get swapped, though....how many times per draft do you have to agonize over choosing between two equally helpful cards, gambling on which one might table or show up in another pack?

I feel like Cogwork will be That One Card that always winds up being the remaining one in the pack, next to the land.

But for completely different reasons than unplayable card approaches.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

weird vanilla posted:

Eh, it's still a colorless Hill Giant. I can think of plenty of drafts where I was looking light on creatures and just wanted something even mildly playable.

I also eagerly await the guy who puts his Cogwork back in to take a playable and ANOTHER Cogwork :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Putting back cogwork to take cogwork and FOIL cogwork :aaaaa:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I guess they could print it as an uncommon, if they want to avoid making money.

How do they avoid making money by making a card everyone wants uncommon?

I know making Force of Will uncommon is a retarded idea but how does making a really powerful card uncommon and nobody will want to trade them away make it so nobody buys their product?

If anything everyone will eat up the packs.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Still playing booster lottery.

STILL WINNING :v:

No, the bag is chocolates.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sade posted:

Yeah the Conspiracy in paper only/Vintage Masters online only dichotomy seems pretty fair and not so much a case of "LOL MTGO"

Not saying that the state of MTGO is excusable, but any change to a piece of software costs time and money, and rewriting the entire thing from the ground up to support things like putting cards back in packs just for a silly multiplayer set is... understandable.

What's not understandable is that MTGO has been around for, what, 15 years? And is still a buggy piece of junk.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Posting this here so I can find it again when Herald and SotL make it under $1 (Herald is very close already)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568408&userid=107192#post425273499

All I'm hearing is as soon as it goes under a dollar, devour them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

I don't get this - I played plenty of UW - Esper matches that don't get close to time and do involve extensive Aetherling wars and proper play from both players. I guess I'm either more/less experienced than these guys that pilot the U/W/x lists to time.

vvv Also yeah let me talk about all the cool things I do that FNM threatens to block off my schedule from... hey bro where's my bro Yamazaki I need my +2/+2 and haste and don't need rules like the Legendary rule or this dumb camera rule.

Every FNM has the inevitable U/W mirror in which three of us commentate like its a featured golf match.

"And now Walser is playing his third scryland, he scrys it and does not like it. Mercual responds to Walser's turn ending by Revving for six. Again."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So in my previous pack lottery I opened Xenagod, Pain Seer, and another Xenagod.

Can't get better, right?

:stare:
It's me. I'm the guy everyone wants to be.
I'm the good pack opener. :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

This really sucks. In the future I'd put down a spare card for my opponent if they did that. I don't really get people that don't have tokens or token like replacement cards when they know their deck needs them.

I have about 40 tokens in my fat pack case I put my decks in. I have at least one of each standard legal token for this reason

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shgdsnag STOP.

This is becoming a very serious problem!

I don't even have the components for RG. I DON'T EVEN HAVE STOMPING GROUNDS.

:negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxn posted:

Hey man just sell em and the other goodstuff you opened so you can BUY Stomping Grounds! :downs:

The funny part about this particular Xenagod is that I bought one for myself and one for my coworker because I didn't know it was his birthday about a week ago and he's been bugging me as a joke. He got Hero's Podium :haw:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

Playing at an event. Do Pack Rat tokens have the ability and count for devotion?

Yes.

They count as exact copies of Pack Rat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My streak is over.

Today wasn't Xenagod. It was Ephara v:

But real talk how is everybody like BTT draft format? I'd like another opinion because my first draft involved opening Master of Waves and Phenax so my opinion is a little skewed.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

a dozen swans posted:

More 'I built this deck for <100' (I basically only need the Pasts in Flames and Petals) in the second-most expensive format.

One of my LCS does Legacy Wednesdays so I might build this when I'm good and ready.

My other LCS is planning on starting to do Legacy events on Saturdays because they're under new management (which admittedly has helped the place incredibly)

• Locked thread