Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think punish cards are just a stupid idea, but if you're going to make them you have to make it so they are worth playing even if it's a suboptimal outcome every time, which generally means you really have to push the card. Vexing Devil is close and would probably work if it had haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Korak posted:

If you're not watching and you're the type of person that slows down to watch car wrecks...

Who is this for? It's impossible to tell what's going on accurately at that resolution and they can't playcall all four at once.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yeah, what differentiates the Zendikar symbol from, say, the Onslaught symbol is that hedrons are plastered absolutely everywhere in the card art. You don't have to even read the flavor text to know that hedrons = Zendikar. I remember very few cards in Onslaught where morphed creatures were clearly depicted. There were definitely some, but they weren't as ubiquitous.
Was there any story reason actually given for why everyone was turning back and forth into weird 4 legged stump things? Mechanically Morph is fun but flavor wise it's probably the most gross/creepy mechanic and has always bothered me.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stinky Pit posted:

I know this is like the epitome of first world problems but man, Karador Ghost Chieftan is such a lame Judge Promo.
It's not even new art or a weird frame or anything. I guess foil hungry EDH barons are gonna flip their poo poo though.

EDIT: Am I the only one here that actively dislikes foil cards? If you're gonna pimp stuff out, get stuff like the transparent frame promos, or textless, or alters. Foiling is at best boring and at worst gives you a deck full of ugly pringles where its hard to make out the art.

EDIT EDIT: Wish I had picked up a grip of ~20 textless cryptic commands when I went on a textless buying kick a few years ago :(

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 27, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jenx posted:

So wait, I keep hearing some stuff about Khans and such - is this confirmed to be a future set?
No. They registered a trademark last week for Khans of Tarkir and Dragons of Tarkir and everyone is jumping on it. I dunno what kind of history WotC has with this kind of stuff and if they try to obfuscate the same way a company like Blizzard does.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is Legacy cheaper than Modern yet? Because it seems like that's where we're headed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ScarletBrother posted:

What MtG podcasts do you guys find worthwhile? I listen to Limited Resources and The Eh Team. I don't care about Standard, so podcasts that focus on that will not interest me. Thanks.

I like Top 8 Magic for BDM and Flores swapping old man stories and gossip, not so much for actual game related content.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys think I'd be better off buying one Box Set from the past 3 sets, or just find a deck I like and buy it individually for getting back into MTG?

Should also mention I have close to $300 in Amazon bucks, but it wouldn't kill me to spend whatever on singles.
Don't bother with constructed and just play a bunch of limited forever.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Recess Rapist posted:

I thought we'd lost our subforum for a minute there!

Question: what's the worst rare? Every once in a while I spring for a pack or two from older sets and I end up with just crap, pure crap.

You're calling this card out in the same set with Darksteel Reactor and Arcbound Overseer?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

First Bass posted:

Lightning Strike: death knell of the Lightning Bolt or no?
No more than Incinerate or Volcanic Hammer. They like tinkering around with the power level of creature removal, and while right now removal is light, I'm sure we'll eventually see another standard with Lightning Bolt.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Don't do this. Seriously. The EV on a Theros booster is $1.75. You aren't going to get tradable, or even playable, stuff regularly. And getting ~bummed~ because you got a playable, tradable card that you have a playset of is a dumb reaction considering your stated goals.

Is there a site tracking the breakdown on the EV of different boosters?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm really, really tempted to cash out my collection right now to pay for a vacation. I have so many of these dumb cards, but not enough to make any eternal decks except legacy burn. I don't even play anymore, and I'm guessing the bubble won't get thaaaaaaaat much higher.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GoutPatrol posted:

From the Planeswalker's guide to Journey Into Nyx:

Time for another Heroes' Reunion reprint! :unsmith:
I think you mean Congregation at Dawn :colbert:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kabanaw posted:

Everything is set up for a GW Mythic in JOU, there's even an incomplete cycle of allied color mythics in Theros that's missing GW.
I anxiously await my 6cmc GW Mythic creature that gives all my tokens pro black, gives me 6 life, and searches my library for three basic lands that then go into my hand. (I really hate the current design space of GW)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Serperoth posted:

I presume two Reckoners or two Furnaces? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Act does 26 to Boros Reckoner whose outgoing damage gets doubled again by Furnace of Rath to 52.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm not gonna assess whether new Ajani is a good card overall. I am gonna say his ultimate is garbage. PW ults should be giving you a huge push to end the game. Gaining 100 life in most circumstances is either a pointless win more or reads "end this game with in draw." I'm sure all the Johnnys out there with their Felidar Sovereign decks are excited, but that's a pretty awful ult.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

Are people actually calling "-8: you basically cannot lose the game now" a bad do-nothing ultimate?
Yes. How does it do anything other than guarantee a draw game unless you were already winning?

Zoness posted:

I don't think they realize that it's about as useful as Elspeth, Knight-Errant's ultimate. Maybe even better.
Elspeth protects your board and makes it so your guys can profitably smash into their guys giving your combat inevitability. There is no inevitability of winning with 100 life.

EDIT: Elspeth's ult is largely a win more as well, since how is the opponent not dead from that many Angelic Blessings, but at least it will help you win the game instead of drawing it out.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 9, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fingers McLongDong posted:

A better version of city of brass, wonder how much that will settle at while it's in standard. Between that and shock/scrylands I better see a chromanticore get dropped somewhere.
How is it better? Damage on City of Brass can be prevented albeit an opponent can't damage you by tapping the new one. At any rate it's a pretty exciting card. If Wizards goes full retard and bans any combination of fetches/shocks then I guess multicolor decks will have a full 8 city of brass to fall on. Control Magic Flying Man seems like a super fun card, and probably the most exciting Bestow creature they've printed. Launch the fleet is super baller, I can't wait to see it in a goofy modern tokens deck. Worst Fears might actually be playable in a MBC deck with Nykthos?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 11, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MiddleEastBeast posted:

JOU is kicking BNG's rear end like there's no tomorrow.

The lowest of bars.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Rishadan Port.

Not being a poo poo, I am legitimately ignorant and curious: What decks run City of Brass in a format that also runs Port?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Alaan posted:

On the other part of that argument, I don't think anyone who is playing city of brass is playing damage prevention.
I dunno man, City of Brass + Hedron Field Purists seems like sweet modern tech.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah.

Also to anyone worrying about this card, it's just going to be a 4 mana "make the biggest vanilla dude in your graveyard" spell which will be annoying in limited probably but is not going to break anything in Standard. Typically the cards that were really good reanimation targets did stuff a la Jin Gitaxias, Elesh Norn, Titans, Angel of Despair, et cetera. People were never reanimating Ghoultrees.
Yeah. This just makes a big vanilla zombie token. Spiciest guy you can zombify in limited is Akroan Colossus, which gives you a 10/10 for 4 at instant speed. That's useful, but not gamebreaking. More likely scenario in limited is you getting a discount Craw Wurm. A fringe deck will probably try making 15/15 zombies but I don't see it working out. Awesome art though. Whoops, you can't reanimate Worldspine Wurm.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 11, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

This is just making me imagine Emrakul with a huge-rear end Returned mask just sort of floating in front of it.
But he's all pale and rubbery instead of translucent and rippling with otherworldly power that can vanish matter with a touch. Still strong as gently caress though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Xenagos shows the gods to be pseudofrauds and instead of forcing the gods to deal with Elspeth just kills Xenagod and restores the status quo? Hopefully mortals remain disillusioned. disenchanted.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Maybe they don't want minotaur tribal to be a thing in limited (or block) and they're holding off the good minotaur lord until M15? Give goblins a break. Turn digeridoo into some kind of tribal cycle? (This will not happen)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Applebees posted:

If you enter the Konami code on the Announcing Conspiracy page, it will reveal Dack's mana cost. There are also other secrets if you are into following the conspiracy. Code is U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,B,A,ENTER.

1UR
It's gonna be great when Duck Faygo is the most busted planeswalker printed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Aren't most of those just variations in combinations of foiling patterns/emossing colors/other cosmetic stuff?

Like if Jace the Mind Sculptor came in Foil, Starburst Foil, Rainbow Hologram, and Starburst Foil with Gold Embossed Text.

Or am I misunderstanding?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Revitalized posted:

Was anything significant ever made out of Allies from the Zendikar block? Are there any popular Ally designs?

There was a really fun RW allies deck but I don't think you could have even called it tier 2.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

I was pretty sure Allies was supposed to be a tweak on slivers but wasn't tuned properly (or was, depending on how you look at it).
It seems they made the cards and they were good and then added 1 or 2 to the mana costs to make them just the other side of useful.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

Were the card in Standard, I think it would get played. Certainly not mainboard, but I think you'd see it around. Hand disruption is pretty much king right now.

I'm a little surprised that neither BTG or JOU had anything at all to brick Thoughtseize and Duress. At this rate, we can expect Khans to have Hymn to Tourach. :allears:
It's a two mana do-nothing. If they turn one Thoughtseize they've already dismantled your line of play, you're putting yourself further behind just to protect yourself from future disruption. Best case scenario, they Thoughtseize into this, you still lose your most relevant card and get an unfiltered replacement. I'm not sure how relevant the 4 life swing is to the decks that Thoughtseize.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Print Vintage Masters irl. Let the world burn.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pharohman777 posted:

The Returned mask that Elspeth has is made from the golden hilt of godsend, which is why it had those two circles. You can see the shattered blade and shaft at the base of the pillar the mask is on. Elspeth the Returned wears godsend.
I like the kind of trend between this and Ashiok. I want all the planeswalkers to become less and less human in appearance and behavior. Give me existing planeswalkers that have become so detached from mundane mortality and changed by their powers they are actually scary and not just stupid mary sue characters.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zorak posted:

Oh. Oh my.

Look in the doorway in the background. He's back.

How long can they push Fblthp before Disney notices and gets mad?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Poor man's Force of Will for counter wars, counters some combos.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

Does something that limited even really count as a reprint?
This is basically a GP Promo meaning it's not limited? All participants get this. Top 8 winners get playmat, maybe you misread that part.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

KidDynamite posted:

Could be in there for super standard at least.
I feel like basically the question is does he warrant a spot over Arbor Colossus?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Samael posted:

With the new torpor orb bird, do you think hatebears could be a legitimate deck in standard? With eidolon of Rhetoric, Spirit of the labyrinth, imposing sovereign, revoker and such.
The reason hatebears works in Vintage is because decks are so geared to doing degenerate things and/or winning immediately that when they get shut down they have no resilience to 2 power dudes turning sideways. In standard if your bears force your opponent to play a fair game with vanilla creatures, a 1 or 2 power dude turning sideways is not gonna battle favorably with a vanilla 2/4 or bigger.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Bugsy posted:

Aether Spiral/Twister
3UU - Rare
Instant
For each attacking creature, its owner chooses to put it on the top or bottom of his or her deck.

37 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-BHbugBfk

Blue needs more wraths imo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If you turn equipment into a creature it can never be equipped and falls off anything it is currently equipped to.

quote:

212.2i An Equipment that's also a creature can't equip a creature. Equipment that loses the subtype "Equipment" can't equip a creature. An Equipment can't equip itself. An Equipment that equips an illegal or nonexistent permanent stops equipping that permanent, but remains in play. (This is a state-based effect. See rule 420.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Archenteron posted:

In theoretical EDH Magical Christmas Land, could you Ensoul Artifact a non-artifact that has become one via Darksteel Mutation being put on it?
Yes. If mycosynth lattice is out you could Ensoul a planeswalker. Jace, The Artifact Creature Planeswalker Mindsculptor.

Then another player Clones him.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread