Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Korak posted:

If I was a card dev I would have changed punisher mechanics to the player casting the spell chooses which mode. Instantly makes a lot of these "bad cards" into good or great cards.

And I wish restaurants gave away their food for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

While I agree with hating the guy with the pokemon doll, the other guy is trolling in real life and i can't help but respect that.

That's Adrian Sullivan, the pro Magic player version of your grandpa that says "BACK IN MY DAY..."

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Korak posted:

The mana is the only reason I've heard.

It's not that bad now with more scrylands and less of a reliance on black.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Samael posted:

It's an boring, uninspired deck with the same base cards which without RtR is completely useless? When rotation happens it's completely dead. Of course this is just my opinion and a esper control guy destroyed my hopes of R/W burn winning two SCG opens in a row.

And when it rotates, everyone will find a new scapegoat to hate upon because it doesn't fit with their personal views.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Oh yeah totally I get that. Unfortunately Wizards design lately seems to be based on having huge swingy effects like that, so you see a lot of homogenous decks. I can't remember the last time there were multiple viable control decks. I feel the same way about generic red aggro decks because I find them very boring to play against.

UW seems to be a common theme because they have never stopped printing Wrath and O-Ring effects. I remember UB being good for a little while in Scars block, but for the most part, it's been U/W for a while.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
For stores on Long Island, I feel like Empire Gaming is definitely one of the better stores on the Island. Brothers Grim is solid but they never really have IQs or much beyond the usual FNM-esque tournaments and prereleases.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Un-set 3, Cunning Linguist. It's a tutor for foreign cards. :v:

Also a legendary equipment for the frazzled editor, the Penis Mightier.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

Apparently the Theros comics characterize him to be more interesting and less obnoxious.

I hope the card title is Dack Fayden, The Most Interesting Planeswalker In The Multiverse.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

You think so? Scorned Villager didn't really see any play, I think it's because when you have mana dorks playing a two drop mana dork sort of negates playing the t1 mana dork, although I am not entirely sure that's why.

Also, there's a pretty solid two-drop mana dork that's already been printed in this block.

edit: two of them!

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

traslin posted:

Why would you ever plus 1 Ashiok with Kiora?

Probably just to tick it up to try for an ultimate.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

ScarletBrother posted:

If a Birds of Paradise rare redrafts in the reserve list, does it fly?

No, but it's strictly better than Time Walk, so you better spec on it.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So my pick for sleeper rare of the set is Hypnotic Siren. MonoB is losing its draw engine, aggressive creature, undercosted fatty, and half of its removal. Azorius/esper control is losing its board wipe, its best removal spell, its draw engine and its win condition. GR monsters is faring better but is still losing Domri Rade which is a big deal, along with any bloodrush dudes they were running (basically just Rampager). MonoU is losing two two-drops that were decidedly mediocre but played only for their double-U mana costs, as well as Judge's Familiar/Cloudfin Raptor, which can be replaced directly by Siren. The fact that it's a fine turn 1-2 play and a backbreaker in the late-game means I think it's going to be a four-of in a lot of aggressive decks once the rotation hits.

There's still M15 and the new block to give various decks things and create new ones. Before Theros came out, no one would have predicted mono-black or mono-blue decks being a pretty big thing. Likewise, there were certain decks that looked really good on paper but performed like crap (G/W, I'm looking at you).

What I'm curious about is what kind of cards have been seeded in Theros block to hint at the future. Some of the ones in RtR block stuck out like a sore thumb (Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety), but there's nothing offhand in Theros block that strikes me as an obvious plant.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Huey block will be a plane filled entirely with libertarians and the mechanics will include the Gold mechanic, first seeded into the Theros block. During the course of the block's storyline, Elspeth will discover that there is a terrible, dark entity within the plane's heart that if left unchecked, will destroy it utterly. She decides to get some popcorn, kick back, and watch.

So wait, are you saying that Wizards will be adopting....a gold Standard?

Google Ron Tibalt.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
SWEET JESUS

That FoW promo is going to be crazy expensive, and the Elesh Norn promo is amazing.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Ajani isn't the only one with art. There's also, uh, this:

Archers gone wild! See what MODO doesn't want you to see! Only $9.95 on pay-per-view.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Would it have killed them to make the ability instant-speed only?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

yall missed the real gem in the conspiracy spoilers

the return of Fblthp :kimchi: :kimchi:

Boy, Fblthp got fat and pissed.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ramos posted:

Elspeth goes red with Xenagos and rages against the gods?

Probably not, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if existential party boy and floor mat knight became buddies, or at least partners.

Magic: the Gathering: the Sitcom

Also written by MaRo.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

Hot Soup and Meteorite are both really cool, I hope they're real.

I like how it's now possible for a creature to die because he was carrying Hot Soup when a meteorite struck him.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Kasonic posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with the new Psychatog art but it's not Dr. Teeth so I automatically hate it.

This and the new Skullclamp make me think of bad renders for a 3DO or Jaguar game that never saw the light of day

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Bugsy posted:

I was just about to get hyped that fatmhoti was back. :( And what the hell does this mean?

They're not in the set proper, but are still legal.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

LSV's preview card for tomorrow is apparently a Planeswalker, and supposedly super sick.

I bet it's Jace, Living Punmaster.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Will this super standard be the first time three different versions of a walker have been playable in the same standard?

There were three Garruks last Super Standard.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
Who did WotC hire for webmaster, Radium?

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

They mean that it made no sense that Caller of Beasts was printed as mono green when he was supposed to be under a black mana curse.

I don't think M10-M13 were particularly in continuity, as compared to M14.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

E: actually, I think a lot of two-colour decks are going to enjoy being able to run painlands instead of Confluence, and hence avoid pain when they don't need the colours.

And mono-black splashing green or white gets the ability to play both Urborg and Caves of Koilos/Llanowar Wastes. Nice.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I personally find it funny that the standard Urborg is in, LotDR isn't, well for very long anyway.

I don't know, I think I'd rather play a miser's Liliana Vess and just tutor up Gray Merchant after Gray Merchant.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

Dollar store repack sealed would be a sick gp format.

A GP with Fallen Empires/Homelands sealed.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Bugsy posted:

What a crappy yugioh name.

If this were a Yu-Gi-Oh card, this would have text the size of Ice Cauldron and a name twice as long.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Target and then eat is absolutely hilarious. I have the biggest dumb grin on my face after that match.

I love how this deck found a use for Trait Doctoring :allears:

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Without that, you run the risk of getting into boring nothing-happens territory, like Return to Ravnica did with its story structure of "Here are some guilds", "Here are some other guilds", "Yup these sure are guilds".

Return to Ravnica was pretty much Wacky Races featuring Fblthp.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

qbert posted:

Why is he even bothering with 4-card combos when there's a number of different 3-card infinite combos in Standard that are much better than that one but still pretty much impossible to pull off. Off the top of my head:

Sage of Hours + Vorel + Ajani, Mentor = Infinite turns
Horizon Chimera + Fathom Mage + Archangel of Thune = Draw your whole deck, gain life and pump your guys equal to that amount
Elite Archanist + Triton Tactics + Zhur-Taa Druid = Infinite Damage
Kiora's Follower + Illusionist's Bracers + Land = Infinite Mana
Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, Reveler/Nissa = Infinite turns or Infinite Hasted 2/2 creatures

Edit: Also someone at an LGS once mentioned Aurelia + Fellhide Spiritbinder + 2 Sylvan Caryatid = Infinite attacks with Aurelia in a single turn, which I thought was funny.

Also a Boros Reckoner dealt damage with lifelink and indestructible.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

qbert posted:

Sneak & Show player in the semis made two bad decisions that cost him the game. First he Show & Tell'd a Sneak Attack into play, sacs his last fetchland for red mana, opponent sacs HIS fetchland in response and Golgari Charms the Sneak Attack. If he had just sequenced correctly and cracked that fetch before the Show & Tell, he would've won.

Next turn he miraculously draws another Show & Tell, casts it, and chooses to put Emrakul into play instead of Griselbrand. Doesn't see that his opponent has lethal in two turns with Creeping Tar Pit, Goyf, and Deathrite Shaman, and enough permanents to survive an Annihilator trigger and still win.

Really goes to show that knowing how to play your deck is way more important than picking the right deck in Legacy.

Isn't this the same guy that lost in the Standard finals? Keep not casting that Voice of Resurgence, it's only like one of the better cards against Mono-Black Devotion...

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I have 100 bucks in store credit at my LCS, they're holding a big tournament for a Volcanic Island for First Place and a Scaling Tarn for second.

They don't have the two Nissas I need to finish my Green Devotion Deck. :argh:

So basically I go into this store on Sunday to compete.

What do I do goons?

C - if you have a friend with Nissas, see if you could borrow them.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I want a Bandora's Box artifact. Make it happen Wizards, Theros will be in Standard for a while with Tarkir.

VV: I didn't say Pandora. :v:

It would be Americanized to "space dumpster."

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010
Lights out for Sperling!

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Zorak posted:

Worth noting his other tweets:

There is a curious thing at the end of May with 3 simultaneous TBD limited GP's.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I was quite willing to accept their reasoning for shifting Modern off the pro tour and onto the GP circuit, at least for a season or two, but this is all the better. 3 Standard / 1 modern PTs seems like a good split.

I will say this: no one will ever be shedding a tear for Block Constructed.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Ugh, first they took away my cheap counterspells. Then they took away my cheap cantrips. Now they are going to take away my sweet sweet 4 mana wraths? Ugh, magic will survive, and I'm sure they have good reasons for it, but this sucks.....oh well.

And then they came for my Islands, and there was no one left to speak for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Alaan posted:

Mythic didn't exist when broodmate came out.

It most certanly did, considering it was the first set with Mythics.

• Locked thread