Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Man, courser of kruphix is a house in limited. I just got done with a five round draft, went 4-1 going mono green after first picking that bad boy. Mischief and mayhem also surprisingly good, although risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

I keep hearing this a lot.

You guys do know his ability doesn't let you play extra lands right? You still only get to play 1 per turn unless other effects are involved. I saw a few people at my pre-release misunderstand that ability.

Um, yes? Being able to play cards from the top of your library is such an incredibly powerful ability that even when it's nerfed to just lands, and just one per turn, it's still potentially a tremendous card-advantage engine. Plus, it's stapled onto a three mana 2/4 body which is totally respectable in limited.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I guess now isn't the best time to start playing that burn deck I've been planning...

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Not really, because they could very easily not reprint fetches in a return to zendikar block. I don't think they want fetches in standard ever again, really.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

DeTora is a known b/w tokens player, so I'd expect her to be playing that as well.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

So I just got back from GP Montreal. 3-3, drop. I actually got passed the pool Kenji Tsumura opened, and it was the sickest blue/white heroic build imaginable. I lost a close one in the first four rounds against nessian asp with fall of the hammer to be 3-1 going into round 4, who do I play against? Jon Stern, champion of GP atlantic city. I was still feeling good though, the deck was insane. He proceeds to rip against me: asphyxiate, divine verdict, excoriate, divine verdict, revoke existence, keepsake gorgon. Then round six I draw lands and just lose, once again against nessian asp.

And that's how you scrub out with an insane pool. A couple of small play mistakes but man, randomness can be so harsh sometimes.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Be realistic in your expectations. While many random bad players will show up at GPs, a ton of really fantastic ones will too, and without any byes it takes an incredible combination of skill and luck just to make day 2.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

So, the modo downtime apparently started last night, huh? Has anyone heard if it's going to be back up again any earlier because of that? Gotta get my cube fix man.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

Around M15's release, I wanna see if my LGS will run a super-standard sealed event. Does that sound like a fun thing or just overwhelming?

If you mean more than six packs, it's definitely fun, but people need a bit more deck building time to sort through all the cards. There have been special modo events where they've done more than six packs of sealed and that is the biggest lesson that the community has learned.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I'm curious now if there are any boston goons ITT. I'm wondering what the best places on the north shore are to draft, specifically. I'm used to drafting up in New Hampshire but I don't want to drive that far anymore. If a place pays out in store credit rather than lovely-rear end packs that you can't use to draft at the store that seems preferable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The esper deck also has a lot of really good tools. I took it and turned it into a sharuum control deck which I'm happy with.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Well, beat my first pro, semi-pro maybe? magic player! At the PTQ in hartford I managed to beat joe demestrio which was pretty exciting. Then, after going 3-0, proceed to just get crushed to go 3-4 drop. The sealed pool was pretty mediocre, I have to admit, but there was at least one round where I could have played a lot better.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

I really enjoy world mythology and know a decent amount about Shintoism and Kamigawa was a big miss for me. They focused specifically on Shinto way too much to much. If you told me a set was going to be based on Japanese folklore, etc I have expectations. I expect tengu and other youkai and the stories about them. I expect things like the Dragon Palace and Kintaro and Susano-o. Kamigawa did not have this. Instead it had lawful kitsune samurai, snake people with six limbs and extinct Kappa.

When maro says that Kamigawa didn't meet players expectations, he meant more that it didn't have enough ninjas, godzilla, sushi and other things that the lowest common denominator mouth-breathing plebes associate with Japan. Tengu, youkai and the Dragon Palace, etc. are not the sort of thing you can expect to see in a magic set based around Japan.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Fair enough. I just found it amusing that your solution to Kamigawa was to go far deeper into obscure lore when everything we've heard from WOTC says that that's what caused it to bomb in the first plase.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Lol, orzhov was clearly best in GTC limited. I got up to around $125 in store credit off the back of orzhov. It was like a hard counter to boros, with removal and lifegain all mixed in to disrupt the aggro gameplan while at the same time getting through with evasive threats.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think it's just for limited consideration. Or your sweet Elk tribal.

Golden Hind mana ramp into Axebane stag. :getin:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

No worries dude, those are all legitimate gripes.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

So, I finally met someone who is interested in buying a foil (NOT PROMO) emrakul. What do people think would be a fair cash price, player to player?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

WTF. I totally could have played in those events but they're all full up. I hate you wotc.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Son, your mother and myself, we want to talk to you about land destruction.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Does anyone know if they're going to put vintage masters on the bestiaire draft simulator? Or any other online simulator for that matter?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

netcat posted:

That art is a loving travesty and I don't get why they keep changing iconic pieces like this.

It's a money thing. This art is cheaper.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Does anyone know if there are any vintage masters draft sims out there? I imagine the weird rarity of power might make it harder than usual to incorporate.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

So instead of playing boring standard FNM on Friday and dying to 1000 Pack Rats or broken format-ruining garbage like Sphinx's Revelation, I decided to play legacy. I have Miracles dead in 1 turn to 2 big Goyfs and a Deathrite when what does he topdeck? REST IN PEACE! So now he's on a 6 turn clock from Deathrite Beats if I don't draw an Abrupt Decay, which I don't. So I draw 5 lands, go in for the kill with a topdecked Bloodbraid Elf (cascading into an Abrupt Decay against his empty board because of course it does.) and Dr. Shaman, only to be Snapcaster Swordsed and chumped. So he goes on to win at 1 life because my deck forgets it has creatures or burn spells for the next 10 turns or so. I reminded him to thank his lord and savior Ken Nagle for designing terrible cards like Rest in Peace. Too bad legacy is going to be a totally dead format in the next month or 2, I actually kinda like it, aside from Miracles. Plus I have all this money invested into my legacy cardboard stuff already.

Do I win?

Couldn't you at least abrupt decay his rest in peace????

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

That's not going to last much longer. Right now people are being Cute and forcing storm or U/G Madness but its not going to take long to figure out Mono-red and especially Red White tokens is a ridiculous deck.

In one draft of vma I did I faced, in order, R/B, R/G, R/G. Red is definitely somewhat popular. Bear in mind that at the time I was running a r/w/u control list so that's at least for people in the draft who were playing some amount of red.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Storm is pretty niche. In one draft at the end of pack one, I had library of alexandria, memory jar, and mind's desire, but even with all that support I ended up in just a standard control build.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

I'm hoping that this next block will just end up being Zendikar 2.0 now with more Ghost Dragon Dads.

Ugin as a planeswalker card which costs as much as nicol bolas but is colorless. Baller.

Also, vintage masters continues to entertain. Split an 8-4 with this nasty piece of business:

If that doesn't work, the link: https://twitter.com/monolith94/status/478917490190200833

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

m15 looks like a really good set for training grounds shenanigans. soon, my playset of training grounds will skyrocket in value! It only gets better the more creature there are in magic with activated abilities!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

Also, if someone sweeps the board, it doesn't matter, because then the ability will have no legal targets and thus won't even go on the stack.

flash creatures?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Plus, the Jace, Avacyn, and Liliana decks were significantly stronger than the others, so they saw the most play. Meanwhile, Chandra's deck had 4x Pilgrim's Eye.

Dude, don't diss pilgrim's eye. That card was standard-playable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...-ruin-sun-titan

Pilgrim's eye was played in mono-white control decks where the chief aim was to outlast the opponent and get your sun-titan and emeria the sky ruin online. While perhaps not tier 1, the strategy had synergy, power, and could compete.

It was also a bit budget.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Standard at the time was Jund and Bant Superfriends. Pilgrim's Eye was not a standard playable card.

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=21684

quote:

“The deck is based on getting to a certain point in the game where you just have inevitability on them” Michael said. “It looks very underpowered but cards like Pilgrim's Eye actually hold it all together. It's amazing with Sun Titan—one of your best targets!” Is Mono White Control poised to prey on the Caw? Time will tell so keep your eyes on this Standard Open!

Again, I'm not claiming it's tier 1. But it had a really, really strong match up in some areas which made it a legitimate metagame-call.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Sure, but it continued to develop. It wasn't better than cawblade but that's hardly a mark against it: nothing was better than cawblade.

From personal experience, playing the deck was almost a bye against mono-red aggro and close to it against other aggro decks. If you happened to be in an area where that was popular, it was a defensible decision, and thus standard playable. Niche, but playable.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Went red, got a foil chandra, easy 4-0 for six packs. Removal spells were good, needed zero two drop creatures in my deck (my colors didn't have any).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

That doesn't seem like a great payout.

4-0 22
3-0-1 15
3-1 7

Plus everyone automatically gets 1 pack. You don't get the prize boosters till this friday, but thats not a big deal to me.

I went 4-0 at my prerelease and got six packs. Yaaaaay.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Theros wasn't a catastrophe, I don't think - it was just a boring, unambitious block that encouraged boring, unambitious Constructed play. Its most powerful card was a reprint, and a reprint of a card that's hostile to high-synergy decks. Most of its creative design energy was poured into cards they were afraid to push, or overestimated the power of.

To be fair to wizards, thoughtseize had to get reprinted SOMEtime or else it would keep rising in price on and on and on, becoming as huge a barrier to modern as goyf and fetches currently are.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

So I went and wrote a shitton of stuff on M15 limited. http://awakeningzone.blogspot.com/

Comments and thoughts appreciated. My goal is to write a couple of big entries each month. I plan to write about my sweet reito lantern deck next, though. :getin:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The game reports were fine, you seemed to have decent advice, and the thoughts about getting out of a colour you thought would be overdrafted was cool, but just loving relax, man. You use maybe a dozen contractions in that whole thing. It's not an essay (hell, that's too stilted even for an essay) and you're not one of WotC's tournament announcers who has to pretend for the causal kids that playing wizard poker is unironically 'going to do battle'. Leave off the 'When one creates', the 'mere two mana', the 'until such a time as I would' and the 'I determined not to'. Be normal, chatty, happy, not like you're typing at gunpoint. It genuinely makes for better reading. Write more of what seems to come naturally to you 'hey, hope to get a good draw while we're at it', or 'wizards, bring back our llanowar elves, please! with the freaky headgear, preferably' (maybe with better capitalisation.) Swear if you feel comfortable with it and with people reading it - and the post looks like you're targeting well past the age where people really give a drat about a curse here or there. Being just normal will help your readers and probably you, the writer, as well.

Yeah, the sad thing is, writing this way is what feels natural to me. Curses, graduate school!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Hrm. Internalising that as a way to write says bad things about your teachers. Then imagine you're talking to your mates (we found your blog on the internet, we're almost mates) and let that modify your vocabulary. Writing is not speaking, very far from it, but tinging your blog with more of a conversational feel to balance out your essay-ness might help.

Yeah, I took a second look at it and tried to streamline it some. Trim some of the fat. I think part of the problem is that I have really lofty goals/ambitions and perhaps I try to overcompensate.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That's strangely not grad student work in my experience. It could be forced on undergrads so they know the poems (this being part of my holiday load for the first Hilary term was probably the hardest work I've ever done), or it could be a professional attempt at getting yourself published and earning cash, but people in between don't seem to have to do huge chunks of the Great Works for anyone except themselves. Also the Iliad and the Odyssey are poems of terrible beauty, please do not read bad translations of them that make you think of stilted student essays.

I wouldn't invest too much time in this. His comment doesn't make much sense. What is a Hilary term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Who knew that the length of a semester at a particular British university was noteworthy enough to be on wikipedia? I'll try to show more caution in trying to address you in friendly conversation in the future. You see, given that I'd never heard of a Hilary term, and you specifically used an extremely obscure term in connection to your story, I thought that there might be some greater significance to the fact that it was a Hilary term.

• Locked thread