Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Comedy Option: Fodder Cannon or Patrol Hound for the flavor text, Sensation Gorger for the art.

edit: Also, I have to mention the Uktabi Orangutan for the unintentional sex monkeys...And Uktabi Kong for intentional ones.

In all seriousness though, anything with Mark Tedin's art on it. Love that style. Guay too. I also have a nostalgic soft spot for Lord of the Pit, since it was the first card I ever owned. One of my dad's army buddies was getting deployed and gave me a bunch of random cards because he thought I'd enjoy them and it was the first card in the stack. Never saw the dude again, but I wish he knew I was still playing like 15 years later because of him.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
This might be a dumb question, but if I fuse Far / Away and target a creature to return, can the opponent then choose to sacrifice that same creature? I know the lefthand side happens first after resolution, but does the spell wait to resolve until both targets have been selected or what?

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Does anyone have that link to the article explaining why Vexing Devil is a bad card? I understand why most people dislike punisher cards in general (you always get the worst option and the good option makes people overestimate the card's effectiveness) but in the case of Devil it seems kind of like a moot point since any deck that would run him would probably be happy to have either option. I mean it's either a better lightning bolt or a 4/3 body for 1 mana, and both of those seem really, really good in any sort of aggressive red deck.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah I mean it doesn't have a place in every deck that runs red, but in Burn or Mono-Red aggro it seems very solid. I mean saying it's a waste of 1 mana if they bolt it next turn seems like saying you shouldn't run lightning bolt because if they counter it you just wasted a turn. I agree that Goblin Guide is better, but running both seems pretty effective in decks that are dead in the water if you reach "late game" to begin with.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
So when is the best time to buy stuff for a Modern deck? I think someone at FNM mentioned that there's like a Modern PTQ or something on the horizon, meaning everything is going up in price right now. Is that correct? If so, how long should I wait for the sudden spike in demand to wear off and prices to go back down?

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Balon posted:

So mono blue, with no new cards from BNG, won the SCG Open. I think, with how powerful the deck is, we'll see Drown in Sorrow main deck in Black lists, cutting back on Rats. We're already seeing Pack Rats dropping to 2-3 copies this weekend, and I think we'll see singleton or no MD copies soon.

There's only a couple things the Drown can't kill from Mono Blue (Frostburn, Nightveil, Thassa, evolved Cloudfin) but being able to kill Tidebinders, unevolved Cloudfins, Judge's Familiar, and of course Master of Waves makes for great value main. Being able to deal with tokens, RG Monsters' devotion enablers, and mana dorks will warrant it a slot main.

I think people were cutting back on rats precisely because of BB and Drown in Sorrow. In my experience the Mono-U matchup would be almost impossible for Mono-B without pack rats, and if Mono-U remains the deck to beat then Pack Rats will probably never go away completely in the main. Realistically if you've got a rat in your opening hand on the play there just isn't much Mono-U can do to race it unless they can overload a Rift asap. The only place Rats aren't going to be as amazing now are in the mirror, but I'm not entirely convinced that Mono-B makes up enough of the competitive meta to justify cutting Rats from the main. In the mirror you'd probably want to board them out game 2, but boarding them back in game 3 might even be a viable strategy since all the removal that's great against rats is terrible against everything else in the deck.

edit: On a somewhat related note, I haven't had a chance to look at any coverage yet, but how did R/G monsters perform? Any decent finishes? Aside from Mono-B it was the established deck that looked to gain the most from this new set so I'm curious to see if anyone ended up running it with any success.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 9, 2014

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
So is there actually any way of getting FtV stuff anywhere close to MSRP? Is there even an MSRP? I never even bothered trying because any that looked interesting sold for secondary market value of everything inside right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Did the best I could but the FS frame seems to be perfectly designed to cut off all the interesting parts of the MMA art, now matter how I gently caress around with it. Plus MSE's export does truly horrid things to image quality.

This is actually kind of cool. It's the only time I haven't absolutely hated that frame, even if it does diminish the sense of scale in that particular piece of art.

edit: In general I think that frame is just more suited to the clean, obviously computer-generated art style. The art on stuff like Goyf, Mindcensor, and the old Bridge just look out of place.

• Locked thread