Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Full Fathoms Five posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if I fuse Far / Away and target a creature to return, can the opponent then choose to sacrifice that same creature? I know the lefthand side happens first after resolution, but does the spell wait to resolve until both targets have been selected or what?

No, away targets a player not a creature and a player cannot choose a creature to sacrifice until the spell Away begins to resolve, which would not happen until the spell Far has resolved and returned the creature to hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CountFosco posted:

Man, courser of kruphix is a house in limited. I just got done with a five round draft, went 4-1 going mono green after first picking that bad boy. Mischief and mayhem also surprisingly good, although risky.

I keep hearing this a lot.

You guys do know his ability doesn't let you play extra lands right? You still only get to play 1 per turn unless other effects are involved. I saw a few people at my pre-release misunderstand that ability.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

No its a decent card and the ability has been useful pretty much every time its been printed, I've just seen a lot of people describe the card in glowing terms and its not easy to tell if its an understandable error regarding the ability or just internet hyperbole so I figured I'd ask.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Theros Event deck is a pretty solid WU aggro strategy that you might find suits your needs. A new player will find the aggressive creatures appealing and simple enough. As they learn, the deck still offers more room for growth combining instants with the Heroic mechanic will teach a new player about synergy and combat math, combat tricks, etc. all useful skills and then when they start messing with the included side-board they won't only learn about side-boarding but will eventually start questioning the relative merits of cards in or outside of the main 60 and start thinking about card selection and deck design. They are hardly tuned to win everything but they are capable and the deck builds are made in such a way that playing with them constantly creates teachable moments.

Thats not to say that the Theros event deck is the only option. These days most of the event decks are really well designed products to help players learn the game, frankly I don't know why they even print terrible pre-cons when the event decks exist.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 8, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean saying it's a waste of 1 mana if they bolt it next turn seems like saying you shouldn't run lightning bolt because if they counter it you just wasted a turn.

That's not remotely the same thing. The problem with Vexing Devil lies in the fact that your opponent makes the choice. If your opponent counters your lightning bolt, well hey, that happens, but it requires them to have the counter, and have the mana up. Vexing Devil allows your opponent to select which resources they want to use to deal with the problem, which is almost always more to their benefit than yours. Playing a spell like Lava Spike is always better because it's an action that demands your opponent have specific resources available to stop it.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

e: Not saying it's an amazing card, but I think that early game it's basically a better lava spike, so it's fine in a burn deck.

No it isn't because Lava Spike is never countered by Swords to Plowshares or Lightning Bolt and Vexing Devil frequently is.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 8, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Froghammer posted:

^^^EDIT: come on dude, "dies to Doom Blade" is the shittiest argument ever.

You're missing the point, Jesus God. The problem is, when your opponent has a removal spell, they allow it to resolve and when they don't they can choose to loose 4 life its a card your opponent can deal with in more ways than 1 and worse, they get to choose what suits them best. That makes it worse than a regular creature because while regular creatures also die to Doom Blade, they don't give your opponent the option of dealing them by losing some life.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 8, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Korak posted:

Vexing Devil is great in Modern Burn. If it was in the Standard format right now it would be a really good card for Standard RWb Burn. It really was 1 format too soon.

Modern Burn is not exactly a deck putting up great tournament results and there are as many Modern Burn decks running Keldon Marauders and Hellspark Elemental as there are running Vexing Devil.

There are people playing it in Modern Burn is about the most positive statement we could make about the cards actual strength and utility.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

So when is the best time to buy stuff for a Modern deck? I think someone at FNM mentioned that there's like a Modern PTQ or something on the horizon, meaning everything is going up in price right now. Is that correct? If so, how long should I wait for the sudden spike in demand to wear off and prices to go back down?

That depends on how much you plan you play Modern. Prices are sticky, and the effect once PTQ season is over is going to be that prices will rise slower instead of really falling.

Obviously you know, some archetypes becoming less competitive or whatever will affect individual singles but overall, modern staples are going up, are going to go up faster once PTQ Season is in swing, and then keep going up slower after with maybe a slight dip once the season is over but not much of one.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Depends on which format you can win more consistently.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seriously just consider your entry a sunk cost and plan on recouping your EV through winnings. Unless you're playing an obscene amount of times on MTGO or whatever its not even worth worrying about it because opening value is so relatively rare, instead of worrying about something you have no control over, focus on what you can and play tight, win packs.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

C'mon Wizards, let's see a reprint of Overwhelming Forces. :getin:

It's been reprinted and is pretty cheap dude.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I wouldn't call a $25 Judge foil "pretty cheap".

Compared to the 100+ original, yeah its pretty cheap. An FTV Reprint wouldn't be much cheaper.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jenx posted:

Unless you follow that sentence with "You politely tell the people that you don't want to play Commander right now.", then you're an rear end in a top hat and should be ashamed of yourself.

Oh hey, look at that!

I have to constantly play commander with the most insufferable people. Store policy is that TO's, Judges, and Employees need to be friendly and inclusive and can't turn down games just because they don't like the players/game involved. I care a lot about helping my community and I don't want to give up the ability to organize IQ's GPTs and TCG Player events.

That means that sometimes I end up spending 20 minutes before a GPT playing Kaijudo with an 11 year old, which I honestly don't mind. It also means that I have to play Commander with a really obnoxious group of players who exclusively play Commander, want to bicker, argue endlessly about "The Right Way to Play" have massive temper tantrums when someone wins "Wrong" and honestly probably play Magic because its the only way to trick a human being into having a conversation with them. I only have 1 Deck, Memnarch, its obscenely powered and they hate it.

I'm always polite when we play, if they ask if I want to play I say "sure" in a friendly way, and I always politely decline saying I'm not comfortable borrowing a deck. I don't have to play Commander very often, I'm happy, they are happy, it works out.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My point was that you can be perfectly friendly and polite when playing the game with the goal of not being invited back. You've got zero clue if steve was rude, or friendly, an rear end in a top hat, or polite. Just because his goal is to get people to stop nagging him to play a miserable format doesn't immediately mean he behaved like a 1980's movie bully.

If you read my situation and thought "well I mean, he's not rude or anything so no harm done" then you've got zero grounds to judge steve considering the information he gave us.

Quinton posted:

(doh, completely failed to notice this was posted just a bit back...)

Announcing GVYJTHQXGR:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1429

And somebody on reddit sorted it out in ~30 minutes:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1xs0f1/announcing_gvyjthqxgr/cfe49oq

A set that messes with draft mechanics would have been incredible. Its such a shame they married it to a multi-player product. Magic is a such a great game but the games mechanics are so loving bad in multi-player. I'll probably just buy the singles that are fun in cube.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 13, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Force of Will and Wasteland are not getting reprinted.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?

Yes. The effect of Gary Merchant checks your devotion upon resolution, so while the ability is on the stack if your opponent can remove the permanents that contribute to devotion to black, the damage from Grey Merchant would be 0.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Listen, I have really cool and awesome things to do like touch a girl and drink beers, because I'm cool and awesome, I don't have time to listen to reasonable advice.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Emerson Cod posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but which would be better for selling extra cards from draft, Cardshark or TCGPlayer? It would mostly be commons and uncommons, but my wife and I have started racking up >4 on quite a few staples rares from draft. We would trade, but no one at our store seems to be interested in an equitable trade and/or already have them.

As someone who consistently buys and sells cards as a way to finance my hobby (I love Legacy and am saving for power) piecemeal commons and uncommons, are not worth the effort. The time you will spend packaging and shipping is worth more than what youll get.

Put them in a box, when you've got thousands and thousands, sell them at bulk for $20 at the next GP or whatever. Occasionally a hot common or uncommon will climb to a couple bucks, at which point its worth the effort to search the through the box for those cards to sell. Otherwise don't bother.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

weird vanilla posted:

Is there a reason they allow any form of note-taking in the first place? The whole thing seems like a sliding scale from any sort of objective overview, whether it's notes or cameras or even your own video recorder.

It's to even the playing field between those with strong memories and those without. There are a few things that WOTC believe are "skills" that shouldn't impact the game. Memory is one of them, allowing players to take notes during matches, diminishes the role of memory as a skill in the game.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

weird vanilla posted:

Then why disallow instant digital photographs, apart from "it's against the rules"?

Because it complicates things further. You're supposed to begin a match with zero notes, only make them during the match, and throw them away after. There are problems introduced in making sure someone isn't referring to notes stored on their phone/texting a friend/whatever other form of cheating when they claim to be referring to the pictures that serve as their notes.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

What is the difference between that and literally finishing a game, whipping out your phone and texting what cards and combos a player used? If the answer is none, effectively and there isn't then what is there to debate?

You're supposed to be done with your notes after the game. Disseminating them via text is obviously a direct violation of that you loving goober.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

weird vanilla posted:

Where does that idea come from?

From the Wizards Website that was used earlier:

"2) Information regarding opponent's decks.
While you can certainly get information regarding possible opponents between rounds from your friends, etc, you can't refer to these notes once the round starts."

Publishing Tournament Information is something only the Wizards can do and does so only in the interest of coverage, in this case a minor concession to the integrity of the tournament is done for the greater good.

They can't stop people from observing, talking to their friends, or really completely lock down the information so they don't try to. Its a sensible common-sense approach but you're not allowed to go loving crazy with it. You can't hand your friend a pile of notes from your previous match right before he plays a dude that he then promptly shoves in his pocket and smiles like a turd because he's technically not bringing outside notes in!, you can't take them to twitter and be all like "ATT: EVERYONE WHO PLAYS THIS GUY" the DCI has no interest in stopping people from talking about games and getting a little advice but disseminating match notes is crossing a line and I as a Judge would immediately step in.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I'm just curious, which actual rule would you point to as grounds for stepping in, or is it just based on your interpretation of the spirit of what the DCI wants?

There is no specific rule.

You have to consider how insanely difficult it would be to write a rule that clearly differentiates between tweeting "Oh man, I just lost to Turn 1 Griselbrand" and an unreasonable dissemination of Tournament information that would create an advantage for some players/disadvantage for others. The impact on coverage, tournament reports, etc, would be a hot mess so instead the DCI wisely uses a lot of discretion.

Thankfully its never been a problem but if it needed to be addressed the rule explaining acceptable use of electronic devices specifically names the Head Judge as the ultimate authority on what is acceptable. A lot of rules are written like that, you can't hide behind the letter of the law when doing dumb-rear end in a top hat poo poo.

It bears mentioning during this discussion that nit-picks the validity of the rules regarding the use of electronic devices that the rule change to allow some use was in many ways a massive compromise. From strictly a rules and tournament integrity perspective I'm certain most judges and the DCI would prefer those devices be banned. The problem is that Phone Apps are immensely popular and penalizing their use at Competitive REL would add yet another obstacle to competitive play that new players or casual players would have to overcome. It's been the opinion of the DCI that there are far too many of those exist already and over past couple of years there has been a constant effort to try and lower the barrier to entry, in regards to the obstacles created by rules enforcement and tournament procedure.

These rules attempt to strike a lovely balance, between stopping the use of electronic devices to cheat, and having players frustrated when they are penalized for behavior that's endemic in the community and its why they look so nonsensical in some ways.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 14, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

My point is that if someone wants to do disseminate information about a new deck, taking photos and not deleting them or texting someone is effectively the same thing you illiterate scubberdegullion.

It took me a minute to figure out your damage but it has nothing to do with how easily a picture is disseminated compared to a physical note.

Firstly, you can't distribute that poo poo like that, its unacceptable whether you use Morse Code or Tweet a Picture. You're allowed to talk to your friends, exchange tips, tweet about your match but you start making efforts to widely distribute information like that and you're going to get a suspension for something. Whether its cheating or something else is going to depend on the Judge.

Secondly, Pictures aren't an acceptable way to take notes because adhering to the rules that define how and when you can take notes would be horribly impractical. Just the loving first one "No outside notes" would require that every match, when you sit down, a Judge or Opponent would need to flip through your phone to make sure pictures from other matches aren't on the phone. There are other rules, that would be just as terribly impractical.

AnacondaHL posted:

No, the two issues are...

Beat me to it, while I tried to figure out what bhsman was on about but yeah exactly. The rules about how notes are handled cannot be easily applied to pictures, therefore pictures are not acceptable for notes.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 14, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Okay, honest question, if the point is that some joe schmuck tweeting 'yo I played Owen Turtenwald and he's playing a new variant with X Y and Z' is damaging to Owen (or whoever), therefore bad, where do feature matches (let alone video matches) play into this? Surely reporting a player's play-by-plays for an entire match is much more damaging still?

Feature Matches and Coverage pretty much sacrifice Tournament Integrity in the interest of promoting the game. It's just that simple, if there is a way to promote high level play that doesn't do that I'm sure DCI would be thrilled to hear about it.

I'm not certain at what point someone crosses the line between tweeting about their match and something unacceptable, and thankfully it hasn't really been a problem, but I guarantee if someone ever manages to use technology to create a significant problem they won't be able to hide behind "well the rules say I can talk to my friends between rounds!" or "coverage does the same thing!"

bhsman posted:

Anaconda referenced 'slow play' in his very post, as have several other people, so I'd say it does matter at this point, if only to show why that's a misconception.

There are rules, regarding notes, that exist solely in the interest of combating "Slow Play" that taking pictures cannot adhere to. For example we limit the amount of paper used to stop excessive notes grinding play to a halt, there is no sensible, easily demonstrable way to apply similar rules to photos.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 14, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

Why would you need more than one photo?

Its not about how many photos you need or don't dude, its about how you can't write rules, regarding many things not just slow play, comparable to those that exist for physical notes. You can't have one set of rules that doesn't apply to photos-as-notes and one rule applying to physical ones. :psyduck: Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Sharzak posted:

Here's an idea: ask your opponent "is it okay if I just take a picture instead of writing it down?" If he says yes, then do that. If he says no, write it down.

There are many rules that apply to notes at tournaments for many reasons. These rules cannot be easily and readily applied to pictures serving as notes so unfortunately we can't allow that idea as elegant as it may seem.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

The hostility to that argument is what's surprising me.

I apologize if I seem hostile.

How easily you can or cannot reference a picture on a phone is a stupid and irrelevant argument that has no bearing on how rules for tournament play are written. Not that you're alone in trying to discuss it or anything, you certainly had help, but your position gave the appearance of someone completely blind to the obvious obstacles in writing enforceable rules for pictures-as-notes, trying to wave away explanations by bragging about how easily you could look at images on your updated iPhone.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you have a lovely community at your LGS don't just post on the internet about it. Talk to your TO or your owner. My LGS used to be messy and kind of lovely and all it took was some regulars who asked the owner to improve and offered to help. They organized the Magic cards, helped toss some poo poo out, they just showed the owner that it mattered and after that things improved rapidly. The play space was renovated, the rules were changed to make things more open and friendly and that improvement made me want to get involved in my LGS and I started to TO and Judge. I'm pretty proud of my store these days. It went from being kind of messy and with some lovely people 4 years ago to a really clean and professional place go play with a great community. We all still complain and seriously dislike some people who come in but they follow the rules and are clean and personable don't make scenes or annoy others (I'm just a petty rear end in a top hat and they have annoying personalities)

I'm not saying you need to volunteer to clean your shop on a weekend and help your LGS renovate but make it clear to people that it matters. Tell them, politely what is unacceptable, and if they are not responsive contact the WPN.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Samael posted:

Just been watching the MTG stream on twitch and I got to say Rich Hagon is adorable. His enthusiasm is really infectious and he makes me want to play magic even more. I know a lot of the SCG/WotC coverage got a lot of criticism regarding their commentators, but if you was in their shoes who would you let commentate on which type events and why?

Rich gets a ton of hate from a lot of the Magic community for acting like he doesn't know things. He's not the strongest at commentating on play, but his enthusiasm is excellent he does a great job turning a tournament into a more human story, its pretty positive.

and while its true he isn't as great as others at play-by-play he's not as dumb as people say he is. Someone on the commentary side usually plays a little dumb, creating space for someone else to explain details a new viewer might not understand.

I always get a kick out of reminding people who bitch about how dumb he is that the guy has more Lifetime Pro Points than they ever will.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

He's one of the few MTG (or eSports) broadcasters that understand broadcasting.

I don't remember who it was, but there was a great moment in commentary once where Marshall Sutcliffe pretended to be ignorant of a card interaction to allow his commentary partner to jump in and explain to the viewer. Of course whatever autist they had in the booth with him that day starts explaining it to Marshall while being a massive condescending turd annoying Marshall so much that he had to break character and just be like "listen dipshit I know what the loving card does, i was trying to help you" The utter contempt in Marshall's voice was palpable.

Lord Of Texas posted:

LSV solo commentary the whole way.

I love LSV's commentary but I don't think its ideal, he goes absolutely balls deep into decisions and lines of play and what players are thinking and obviously people who know Magic find that super interesting and rewarding but its incredibly important to remember that while he is doing that, there is a significant audience watching thinking.

Wait why did that creature not tap when it attacked?.

I think he would be excellent as an analyst post match, or in some other type of feature where he can share his excellent perspective without making portions of the live commentary impenetrable for casual viewers.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Lands and Death and Taxes have firmly cemented themselves as Tier 1 decks after years of being strictly 1.5/2nd Tier so the increased demand for Rishadan Port is understandable.

C-Euro posted:

I saw that the other day. This is going to out me as a horrible nerd but I took my girlfriend out to a really nice dinner last night, and afterwords the first thought that popped into my head "drat, that entire meal cost about as much as two Ports, what the gently caress kind of world do we live in?"

Magic is expensive, but so are girlfriends, so is a night of going out drinking with some buddies, catching a good concert, taking a trip to catch a baseball game. You start comparing buying singles you need to the other stuff in your life you do for fun and Magic compares pretty reasonably.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 15, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That video is more believable than 90% of the unboxing poo poo on youtube.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Anyone else like modern but just get frustrated by the insanity of pricing? Cryptic command is a $40 card now apparently.

I'm way more annoyed when a standard card is more than $5, it's a mediocre format and 90% of that 300 dollar standard deck is worthless a year later.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

JerryLee posted:

:stare:

Even planeswalkers and poo poo? Even I don't expect hot dollar Standard cards to only be $5 ($15-20 would be reasonable for poo poo like good mythics).

It's only relative. I've bought Forces, Duals, Power. I don't care to spend money on my hobby but if you ask me which bothers me more, paying 40 dollars for Cryptic Command, or paying 10 dollars for Polukranos. I'd rather buy the Cyrptic.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

a dozen swans posted:

This is pretty neat. How viable is it as a deck? I don't care about going 4-0 or anything but if I can make Legacy players get feelbads I'm intrigued.

Combo decks are common in Legacy, you aren't going to give any Legacy players "feelbads" with Sac Lands Tendrils but you might have a lot of fun playing a cool format.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its one of the few Scars Fastlands that get play as a 4 of in Modern.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wizards is in zero rush to reprint poo poo. You guys have to constantly remind yourself that people who even know what the formats even are makes up a minority of their customers.

They do an amazing job re-introducing cards considering that fact, but just because Maro says "Yeah we want to reprint it soon" means loving diddly.

The oft-spoken reprint of Commander that was being printed-right-this-second-we-promise hasn't even materialized yet.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Veyrall posted:

I just don't know how the Magic community as a whole became aware of this particular thing.

Last reputable numbers we got to see for participation in any form of organized play, sealed, standard, draft, anything, was right before the New World Order. 138,500 players out of an estimated customer base that even conservative estimates put at 6 million.

Magic has grown a lot since the last time we got clear numbers but nothing implies that the relationship between total players and players in organized play has changed by much. While they have been far more quiet about numbers of players, Hasbro showed that the WOTC subsidiary essentially doubled sales two years on the trot following the NWO, around the same time period some people "mined" the Planeswalker Points website to find that total DCI Numbers issued was somewhere north of 400,000, those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt though since A) its just some dudes on forums and B) total DCI numbers aren't reflective of active participants.

If I was a betting man, the impact of Duals of the Planeswalkers, and all the new digital content like Spellslingers and Friday Nights has likely pushed the relationship even harder in favor of the casual players.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its a misprinted Revised card that looks like a plains, has plains art and coloring but whose rules text reads "Forest" and "Tap to add G to your mana pool"

In German obv.

There's also a Spanish mishap where the Serra Angel rules text was printed on the art and frame for Time Elemental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That guy didn't draw extra cards he just failed to put back enough cards for Brainstorm. Its a completely different error and penalty and also a super easy mistake to make in the finals of a massive Magic tournament.

• Locked thread