Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
For whatever reason, you can only change your costume in the title screen's option menu. You can't change costumes during an active game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just pulled the trigger on this for the XB1 after watching a few videos. Can't wait to try it!

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Just grabbed this and played up to the second boss (the three-headed one). Really fun and surprisingly challenging on hard. I wish they'd limited the flying somehow or handed it out later, I find it turns the level design into just giant floating tunnels. Other than that, though, I'm having a great time. The rhyming dialogue is more charming than awkward, too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BinaryDoubts posted:

The rhyming dialogue is more charming than awkward, too.

I love how it works with the jester. I find her gimmick with it fairly amusing.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
This game is so pretty, I love it. Really great music too.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Velveteen posted:

This game is so pretty, I love it. Really great music too.

absolutely, game is a delight in so many ways

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I just found out if you click R3 on your controller once its the same thing as holding down L2 to get Igniculus to light up for healing/enemy slow down. I may have missed this in the control options though because I discovered it by accident.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
What's surprised me most is that I expected Aurora to be a bit bland of a character but her bratty moments make her so much more endearing. She really is a somewhat spoiled kid thrown into a strange situation.

She's got a good heart but is still a kid. A pretty stubborn one at that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What a lovely-rear end game! I didn't actually expect it to like it as much as I do - while it looked nice in the previews, there have been so many mediocre "artful" games with this kind of melancholic dark fantasy atmosphere lately that it's hard not to get cynical and jaded about them.

But it's just really earnest and charming all-around. Great character designs (two hours until even encountering a male character, not counting the dad. Nice game :)), satisfying combat, good sense of progression and exploration (though I do wish there was a local map), and even the dialogue isn't throwaway. What a fun idea to have everything rhyme! The last game to pull off a whimsical fairy tale-like atmosphere this well was probably Trine.

Ubisoft was pretty high on my shitlist of publishers that have fallen off hard, but I'm glad to see them trying some really creative stuff like this again. Love the soundtrack, too - it gives me big Heroes of Might and Magic vibes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That was a wonderful way to spend an off day. Little warning for everyone, you go straight to the final boss after another one without warning. Don't worry too much though, not that difficult once you know what you're doing. Also, don't worry about sidequests because there's a postgame where you run around in the absolutely fabulous final boss battlegown and can do everything you missed.

EDIT: Ooooh, I just noticed that it has NG+! My play time on this game just skyrocketed!

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Flytrap posted:

That was a wonderful way to spend an off day. Little warning for everyone, you go straight to the final boss after another one without warning. Don't worry too much though, not that difficult once you know what you're doing. Also, don't worry about sidequests because there's a postgame where you run around in the absolutely fabulous final boss battlegown and can do everything you missed.

EDIT: Ooooh, I just noticed that it has NG+! My play time on this game just skyrocketed!

Thanks, was just coming here to ask if there was a post-game play to clear up collectibles/side-quests.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jesus, I missed out on a whole other party member by missing Rubella's quest! :psyduck: And a drat good one at that looking at his skill list!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Played for two hours and it's pretty fun! The gameplay is pretty streamlined but not too easy (on hard difficulty, that is) and the backgrounds/music is gorgeous. They can stuff the day 1 DLC where the sun don't shine, though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Happy to see this game getting stellar reviews. Definitely want to pick this up after I get the cintiq I'm budgeting for squared away. :o:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is this game good? Should I buy it?

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

frosteh posted:

I just found out if you click R3 on your controller once its the same thing as holding down L2 to get Igniculus to light up for healing/enemy slow down. I may have missed this in the control options though because I discovered it by accident.

You can use the touchpad on the ps4 to move him and click it to do the same as clicking R3/holding L2.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Got my boxed edition today. Neat little artbook and poster on quality paper, plus the keychain already shown. There is indeed no disc, just codes for the game, the Golem pack, and the Dark pack. The three codes unlock a plethora of oculi and bonuses, too.

As for the game, I've barely started but I had to just let it sit at the title screen and listen to the music (hey, attract mode!). Also I have to pretend this wasn't intentionally written in rhyme because goddamn is it bad.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The Lone Badger posted:

Is this game good? Should I buy it?

Do you like RPG's? If you answer yes, then you should buy it.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Dan Didio posted:

Thanks, was just coming here to ask if there was a post-game play to clear up collectibles/side-quests.
And NG+ as well? :getin: Love games with actual replayability in.

One question though, with the whole elemental weaknesses thing, is there a way to actually find out what enemies are which, or is it a case of just smack them with stuff equipped and watch the numbers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Do you like RPG's? If you answer yes, then you should buy it.

Then I shall buy it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

limited posted:

And NG+ as well? :getin: Love games with actual replayability in.

One question though, with the whole elemental weaknesses thing, is there a way to actually find out what enemies are which, or is it a case of just smack them with stuff equipped and watch the numbers?

As far as I can tell, it's just smack them and see what happens, though it's usually fairly obvious what's what from their colour palette/design.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Has anyone been able to send Oculi to their uPlay friends? I have uPlay friends with the game, but it keeps telling me none of them are eligible.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jesus, ever single song is breathtaking. This game may just be a serious competitor for Best Soundtrack Ever.

Also it's available on Bandcamp.

http://musique.coeurdepirate.com/album/child-of-light

Virgil
Jun 15, 2003

TT: Will I be blinded by the fearsome lashes of light ribboning from the incandescent coastline of his beauteous aura?

Flytrap posted:

Jesus, ever single song is breathtaking. This game may just be a serious competitor for Best Soundtrack Ever.

Amazing soundtrack, but it appears to be missing some tracks, most notably the dramatic music with chanting that plays during boss fights. Here's to hoping they release a second volume.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Flytrap posted:

It's also available on Spotify.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I have a sidequest to go to Abo's garden, but I'm not sure where it is! Because there's a bit in his village that looks a LOT like a garden that I can't get in to I'm worried about moving on in case I miss it - can anyone tell me?

marasamune
Jan 20, 2006

"Oh! Doctor STILES!"

Taear posted:

I have a sidequest to go to Abo's garden, but I'm not sure where it is! Because there's a bit in his village that looks a LOT like a garden that I can't get in to I'm worried about moving on in case I miss it - can anyone tell me?

Remember that the village has a north and south. This tripped me up for awhile too, until I remembered I walked into the background alley when I first arrived. I forget if it's the village version with the well that you need to exit the village to the right, or if it's the foreground of the village. Either way go right out of town, eventually you'll see some spiders. Big ones. If not, go back to town, enter the foreground/background at the center of the village, and exit to the right of the other version. Sorry I couldn't be more definite.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Taear posted:

If its the one I'm thinking about (not good with remembering names,) Its near the start where Aurora first meets the firefly. The big pink tree.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am getting my rear end kicked by the Ogre (playing on Hard). Any tips?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Taear posted:

It's the abandoned abbey or whatever back near where you first started. You can fast-travel pretty much right next to it by going back to the altar.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That's three different answers there! I am quite unsure now.

Edit: It's near the big pink tree! Thanks.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 3, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any disadvantage to swapping out party members? I'm playing on normal and completely ignored that mechanic until mid-game where a certain spider boss had a pretty high difficulty spike. Seems like swapping out doesn't take any time at all, so I guess swapping out near-death party members is a viable strategy.

Also, I wish the game map was better when it comes to collecting stuff. It's gonna be hard to 100% this when each area is pretty big and the collection stats on the map is region based.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ymgve posted:

Is there any disadvantage to swapping out party members? I'm playing on normal and completely ignored that mechanic until mid-game where a certain spider boss had a pretty high difficulty spike. Seems like swapping out doesn't take any time at all, so I guess swapping out near-death party members is a viable strategy.

Also, I wish the game map was better when it comes to collecting stuff. It's gonna be hard to 100% this when each area is pretty big and the collection stats on the map is region based.

The game more or less expects you to constantly cycle through your teammates to take advantage of their unique skills. You can get through most random encounters with just a couple party members if you've been giving the stardust to Aurora, but the bosses will gently caress you up if you try and use only two.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 3, 2014

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Swapping out party members is a pretty big gameplay mechanic, especially once you start getting strong attackers that you want to stack buff spells onto. I'm pretty sure that party members get the same amount of experience even if you don't use them in battle, so there's no need to pick favorites.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This is an amazing game and more people need to buy this.

Just curious, what's the issue people have with uplay? I got the game for ps4 and haven't had any issues with it at all.

Damone
May 3, 2009

McCloud posted:

Just curious, what's the issue people have with uplay? I got the game for ps4 and haven't had any issues with it at all.

It's completely redundant. And it's always on DRM. I don't quite have issues with itself but I bought this game on steam, but I still need to go through the Uplay launcher first so it's a little bit annoying

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

McCloud posted:

It used to be extremely intrusive, and it's basically just another layer of DRM on top of Steam.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

McCloud posted:

UPlay works fine for me, but I really dislike the system where they hide content behind UPlay points. Now, Child of Light throws more points at you than you'll ever need, but most UPlay games give you exactly 10+20+30+40 at around the 10%/30%/60%/100% mark of the game in question, and also offer four rewards costing 10/20/30/40 points. Basically, if you don't have points stored up from other games, you'll be playing twice to see all the content. Nor, of course, does anyone have any idea what happens to that content if/when UPlay shuts down.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've been fusing my gems together to make bigger versions of gems. Is this a bad idea? Is there any point to diamonds/amthysts?

I just got Aurora's sister in my group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I've been fusing my gems together to make bigger versions of gems. Is this a bad idea? Is there any point to diamonds/amthysts?

I just got Aurora's sister in my group.

It's always good to have bigger gems, though you probably don't want people to have empty slots. Though it's really not too much to worry about. So long as you explore you'll soon have more occuli than you know what do to with.

As opposed to diamonds and amethysts, I'm pretty sure I only ever used an ame, and mostly because I didn't have anything else. What do those do again?

• Locked thread