Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gologle posted:

Uh, Tristis can eventually do everything she can.

Not quite. He hasn't got access to Lull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Robert has a suitable replacement for Lull.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Robert has a suitable replacement for Lull.

I'd still argue that the person in question is the most powerful party member. I know I exclusively used them!

In regards to the post earlier about the way the story works - I think it also supports a little bit being cut from the end. The sudden final fight definitely feels like there was supposed to be something else in between that might have fleshed it out a little more.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It turns out the queen is ALSO her sister!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This guy wants an apple. Where do I get one?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This guy wants an apple. Where do I get one?
In the Bolmus city, from a fellow halfway up a tower.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
Just finished the game on hard. It was a good game over all, but it would have been nice to use you heal spells outside of combat. Also, I kind of wish there was a third spell attacker in there somewhere as well and that the bosses didn't have (annoying) counters for playing smart by canceling enemy turns.

In terms of characters, I found Tristis, Gen, and the golem to be the least useful additions. Buffs in general seemed to be kind of bad overall in this game, more specifically group buffs. Chances are you're going to swap out the buffer the second you get the buffs out anyways, and you can just chug potions for most of the buffs Tristis and Gen provide anyways. That's just what I felt though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just got this, what is the deal with saving? I played through the first boss, figured it auto-saved so I quit, then I loaded it later and could only do a new game. Now I'm terrified and haven't turned it off since :(

e: nevermind figured it out, it was this from page 2

Feenix posted:

So I figured out the issue, I think... it's not a bug in the game but it is definitely a potentially BIGGER issue.

I downloaded the demo and then from IN-GAME I purchased it, then started over. I guess now I am getting Trophies that I should have, but didn't get before. SO BE WARNED. If you start with a demo, even if you purchase... even if you only played 5 seconds as a demo... that run (until you quit to XMB) will be non-saveable, non-trophyable.

That should probably be a warning in the OP or something. Off to play the intro for the third time!

nachos fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 11, 2014

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Tristis isn't the best, but Gen is amazing as an offensive character. Her default attack can stagger enemies significantly, and Paralyze works against bosses. By the time you get her, too, you should start to get enough high level gems to let support characters deal good damage.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Forest Thief Pud posted:

....been nice to use you heal spells outside of combat....

You can used the fire-sprite guys shine-power on your main character to heal outside of battle.

I discovered this by accident half an hour from the end of the game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

spudsbuckley posted:

You can used the fire-sprite guys shine-power on your main character to heal outside of battle.

I discovered this by accident half an hour from the end of the game.

Also, hovering over those plants outside releases a row of dots which, if hovered over in the correct order, release a bunch of +hp and +mp particles like it would in combat.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
I did know about both of those ways to recover HP outside of combat, but if you needed a meatier outside of combat, it was items or bust. Just would have been nice to be able to use the heal spell in those instances instead of waiting on the firefly gauge to recharge.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Act 7 has some of the toughest fights yet. Those stone centaur archers can kiss my nuts.

I got a feeling that I'm going to lose Rubella soon. I hope not :cry:

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

This game loving rocks and was worth every digital penny. I really hope they put out those unreleased tracks not on the OST at some point though.

Also my 10 year old daughter beat the triple serpents on the first try (she exploited the timeline system like a boss) and figured out the Oculi recipes and uses. And I didn't give her any guidance, she did this all on her own :3:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm in Act 10 and just entered the Sun Temple. Aurora is almost at Level 50. How much longer do I have to go to the endgame?

I have a score to settle with Nox. :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Charles Martel posted:

I'm in Act 10 and just entered the Sun Temple. Aurora is almost at Level 50. How much longer do I have to go to the endgame?

I have a score to settle with Nox. :argh:

You're on the last dungeon.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

RatHat posted:

You're on the last dungeon.

So I was. If I knew I was that close, I would have finished it yesterday.

I just finished the game. I missed a few caskets here and there as well as a few pieces of stardust in the Cynbel Sea, but otherwise I got all of the achievements and did all of the side-quests minus the Golem's Plight DLC.

I'm very confident to not only say this is my GOTY for 2014, but it's one of the best games I've ever played. I'm so glad I took a chance on this one. It's the total package. The presentation is mesmerizing: fantastic graphics that make up a world that I got lost in, stellar soundtrack, rock-solid stability (didn't encounter any bugs, glitches, or crashes), a genuine story that's easy to get emotionally invested into, gameplay that never got boring, charming dialogue, easy-to-understand mechanics, quick and convenient auto-saving, very minimal level grinding, etc, etc. This $15 game floors any "AAA" full-priced game I've bought in years.

No game is perfect, however, and as far as complaints go, I really have to stretch to think of some here. The biggest one would have to be the day-one DLC, which is virtually all non-essential fluff anyway from what I've seen and heard. I can say the game was too short overall and that the last battle was a bit rushed. It would have been more natural to travel to the Isle of Nereida for the final showdown and then start the final battle. Hardly a dealbreaker, though.

From a quick search online, all I see New Game + offering is virtually the same experience, only it's more of a grind. Some people may be into that, but that doesn't interest me.

If anyone is still on the fence for buying Child of Light, just ask yourself one question: Did you even slightly enjoy JRPGs in the 90s? Yes? Buy this. Still cautious? Go directly to Steam and download the demo. You have nothing to lose.

I want to see more games like this or, dare I say it, a sequel.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I also love this game and is one of the best games I've played in awhile. One thing that I wish was different was combat consisting of more than just two allies and three enemies. This make party buff skills almost useless since you are switching the character you used to cast it so you are better off just using single buff. Combat itself could be expanded a bit too since it mostly comes down to blocking and waiting to attack to interrupt so you don't get interrupted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The next UbiArt project, Valiant Hearts, has already been announced and it too sounds potentially fantastic.

Comes out end of next month!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
^^^ I'll have to check that out.

Velveteen posted:

I also love this game and is one of the best games I've played in awhile. One thing that I wish was different was combat consisting of more than just two allies and three enemies. This make party buff skills almost useless since you are switching the character you used to cast it so you are better off just using single buff. Combat itself could be expanded a bit too since it mostly comes down to blocking and waiting to attack to interrupt so you don't get interrupted.

Agreed. While it's a bit on the basic side, it's so refreshing to play an amazing RPG in 2014 that brings back the basic mechanics of the classic ATB turn-based combat system in earlier JRPGs. While three party members would make the game a cakewalk (I played on Hard and only died a few times on boss battles I wasn't prepared for), that can be countered by increasing the amount of enemies in every battle. The interruptions, Igniculus slowing down a single enemy at a time, quick-swapping party members, and mixing and equipping Oculi on everyone's equipment when entering a new area kept it interesting for me though.

I didn't really end up using buff spells a lot. My basic strategy was using Aurora and Rubella as an attack / heal team, Finn and Aurora as an magic / attack team with Rubella coming in to heal and revive, and Aurora and Oengus taking turns with their multi-target physical attacks (with Rubella being swapped in for Heal duty) in the last couple hours of the game.

The confessions are interesting too. Word on the street is they could be setting up Sophie to be in a possible sequel since the last note leaves room for that.

This game is so good, it almost hurts.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
My strategy usually involved having my de-buffers de-buff the enemy, throw a bunch of buffs on Aurora, and have her destroy the world as the MIGHT PRINCESS PALADIN! :black101:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

I want to see more games like this or, dare I say it, a sequel.

You should check out Okami. It's like this only Zelda instead of Final Fantasy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's interesting to read that a lot people never bothered to use the buffs, since my main strategy for the later bosses was choosing one of the heavy hitters (either Oengus, Robert, Aurora or Finn depending on the situation) and cycling through the other characters to buff him/her up as much as possible. It works suprisingly well, since eventually that character will be almost invincible, even on hard.

Now I'm curious how well a low-level playthrough would go. You'd obviously miss out on a lot of skills, but you can somewhat compensate with items and stat buffs, and you can prevent a lot of damage with Ignitius.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just wish it went on for a bit longer. I could easily have played in that world for just a bit longer and New Game+ really isn't the same. It's the first RPG I've really been hooked onto since Xenoblade came out, and for basically the same reason - I'm a sucker for strange worlds and environments.
I'm quite sad that Valiant Hearts is WW1 (I get why, 100th anniversary and all that) because I want more fantasy.

As I said earlier in the thread my only issue with the game were the few quests that make you backtrack. The game just doesn't feel too set up for it and it was very hard for me to do them the next day or whatever when all I had to go on were two sentences in a rhyme.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Ogre fight in the Piscean Village is kicking my rear end. Any advice on it?

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

The Ogre fight in the Piscean Village is kicking my rear end. Any advice on it?

If you're willing to waste an hour, you can make a really easy circuit flying around the lighthouse, fighting the easier battles vs. skeleton dudes, then engaging and fleeing the boss fight to repopulate the area. Somehow, the fact that you can flee from any fight in this game is... relaxing.

Doing this until you get a few characters to the end of at least one skill tree pretty much makes the rest of the game a relatively casual stroll, even on hard mode.

Edit: This might be bias based on how I leveled Finn with Thunder maxed first and Aurora down the Starlight path, though.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 20, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ToiletDuckie posted:

If you're willing to waste an hour, you can make a really easy circuit flying around the lighthouse, fighting the easier battles vs. skeleton dudes, then engaging and fleeing the boss fight to repopulate the area. Somehow, the fact that you can flee from any fight in this game is... relaxing.

Doing this until you get a few characters to the end of at least one skill tree pretty much makes the rest of the game a relatively casual stroll, even on hard mode.

Edit: This might be bias based on how I leveled Finn with Thunder maxed first and Aurora down the Starlight path, though.

This is the correct path for Finn considering the passive skill he gets in that path that boosts all his magic damage.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I believe that was the only encounter where I had an easier time focusing on the boss before killing his henchmen. He's not very durable and should go down fairly quickly if you're using the appropriate element.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Does anyone know how to enable a controller to act as the 'second player'? I want to play this with my daughter but I didn't realize it was pseudo co-op until I had already purchased it for PC instead of PS3. I installed some drivers and I am able to use my controller, but not at the same time as my keyboard, using one or the other treats the currently active one as player 1.

Googling is not helping me, unfortunately.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm confused. I'm in the last 20 % of the game or so (so it appears, anyway) and I'm still a tiny child. Isn't Aurora supposed to age into a young woman in this game? I figured the plot progressed that. Is it level-up based?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Feenix posted:

I'm confused. I'm in the last 20 % of the game or so (so it appears, anyway) and I'm still a tiny child. Isn't Aurora supposed to age into a young woman in this game? I figured the plot progressed that. Is it level-up based?

She will grow up after beating a certain boss.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Starlight seems kind of redundant with Light Ray. Am I missing something?

What carries over in New Game+?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 17, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Starlight seems kind of redundant with Light Ray. Am I missing something?

Only one of them gets an AoE.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Light Ray gets a full 3-rank AOE late in the game after Aurora's magic moon growth spurt. Plus you get Counter, which has been pretty handy for me.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 17, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Really Pants posted:

What carries over in New Game+?

Everything basically, although you can still miss characters on followup playthroughs if you don't bother to do their personal sidequests, although you pretty much have to go out of your way to do so.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I somehow got through the entire game without noticing that Robert's single attack and group attack are on different trees. No wonder he seemed a little weak. :downs:

Kaedric posted:

Does anyone know how to enable a controller to act as the 'second player'? I want to play this with my daughter but I didn't realize it was pseudo co-op until I had already purchased it for PC instead of PS3. I installed some drivers and I am able to use my controller, but not at the same time as my keyboard, using one or the other treats the currently active one as player 1.

Googling is not helping me, unfortunately.

Doesn't the PC version default to mouse control for Igniculus?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 18, 2014

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I just got this game a little while ago, and I'm confused about the Uplay rewards thing.

These packs of 3 potions that I say "unlock this reward three times". Does that mean I can get (3x3) potions? Do I have to pay the Ubipoints cost 3 times?

If I unlock the potions and/or the permanent stat boosts, are they a one-time use thing, or do I get them in every new game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EightDeer posted:

I just got this game a little while ago, and I'm confused about the Uplay rewards thing.

These packs of 3 potions that I say "unlock this reward three times". Does that mean I can get (3x3) potions? Do I have to pay the Ubipoints cost 3 times?

If I unlock the potions and/or the permanent stat boosts, are they a one-time use thing, or do I get them in every new game?

Yes, yes, and you get them every game.

• Locked thread