Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oliver Reed posted:

President Heller uses all of his power to keep Jack away from Audrey, she talks to him secretly about how the government is compromised and her father might be involved, Jack tries to stop it, etc. Or some variation thereof.

If we do not get another joint Jake/Heller rampage then there is no reason to bring him back :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ninjasaurus posted:

Kim and the Cougar has become a meme at this point but in actuality it lasted about 30 seconds and was probably the least dumb thing that happened to her in season 2. It's the rest of her misadventures I can't stand.

I dunno, man. I came into 24 fresh a couple months ago, knowing only that it was some insane trainwreck TV and maybe pro-torture?, and the cougar scenes stood out pretty strongly to me, despite having never heard of them before. I mean, it's just... Girl being maybe stalked by a mountain lion in the woods for no reason? And then... and then oh hey it's back, just sort of standing around looking at its handler waving a steak off-screen, and then Kim gets caught in a snare trap that literally no other wildlife had been dumb enough to be caught in. And then Discount Matt Dillon showed up and was like, "oh, I see you are stuck in this snare trap. Here, you see? You just sort of pull it apart" and Kim was just baffled.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Geekkake posted:

I dunno, man. I came into 24 fresh a couple months ago, knowing only that it was some insane trainwreck TV and maybe pro-torture?, and the cougar scenes stood out pretty strongly to me, despite having never heard of them before. I mean, it's just... Girl being maybe stalked by a mountain lion in the woods for no reason? And then... and then oh hey it's back, just sort of standing around looking at its handler waving a steak off-screen, and then Kim gets caught in a snare trap that literally no other wildlife had been dumb enough to be caught in. And then Discount Matt Dillon showed up and was like, "oh, I see you are stuck in this snare trap. Here, you see? You just sort of pull it apart" and Kim was just baffled.

I didn't say it wasn't dumb, just that it was really short and there were plenty of dumber things that happened to her before/after that moment. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: Or maybe I should say that it was the least insufferable thing that happened to Kim.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ninjasaurus posted:

I didn't say it wasn't dumb, just that it was really short and there were plenty of dumber things that happened to her before/after that moment. YMMV, of course.

To be fair, a few hours ago I literally watched Penny Johnson Gerald nag a man to death, so I understand where you're coming from. And then everyone was freaking out about the police and a homicide detective who is also made of bees was Very Suspicious about this not-crime. Meanwhile, on the other side of town: "hey, Jack, so you just shot an unarmed woman like a half-dozen times in the chest while she was lying immobile on the ground, and also it was caught on video, and I just watched it" "NO YOU SEE SHE WAS REACHING" "Well, the video didn't really refl" "REACHING" "okay dude go ahead and go fight crime i guess godspeed"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Geekkake posted:

It was worth it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhmbJKSSuYQ

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ninjasaurus posted:

Definitely. To me, Kim talking to her boyfriend on the phone and being all "we sure had some wacky adventures today!" while the camera slowly pans down the boyfriend's body to reveal his stump is the cherry on the Kim sundae.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Her husband/loved one will end up being a mole, kill her, and cause Jack to go on a bigger rampage with her dad then he was doing before.

I really hope we get President Keller and Jack with M4s killing terrorists in the middle of London in an Archer-like Rampage :allears:

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Geekkake posted:

To be fair, a few hours ago I literally watched Penny Johnson Gerald nag a man to death, so I understand where you're coming from. And then everyone was freaking out about the police and a homicide detective who is also made of bees was Very Suspicious about this not-crime. Meanwhile, on the other side of town: "hey, Jack, so you just shot an unarmed woman like a half-dozen times in the chest while she was lying immobile on the ground, and also it was caught on video, and I just watched it" "NO YOU SEE SHE WAS REACHING" "Well, the video didn't really refl" "REACHING" "okay dude go ahead and go fight crime i guess godspeed"

Hahaha I had forgotten about a lot of the stupid things that happened in seasons 2 and 3 until you guys started bringing it up. There was no way Jack was gonna be punished for finally murdering Nina but the way it happened just seemed sort of... arbitrary. Looking back on it now, it's easy to see that she needed to be removed from the story because Saunders showed up in the very next episode. Given how completely ridiculous and contrived her involvement in the season 3 plot was, I think even the writers knew they couldn't keep bringing her back. Same with Sherry Palmer. Sure, the actresses gave great performances as usual but this was a pretty cut and dry case of bringing back fan favorites and not knowing what to do with them.

The same thing would happen again in season 6 with the Logans. Everyone was excited to see how they would figure into the plot and then both were quickly dumped unceremoniously.

Irish Joe posted:

Definitely. To me, Kim talking to her boyfriend on the phone and being all "we sure had some wacky adventures today!" while the camera slowly pans down the boyfriend's body to reveal his stump is the cherry on the Kim sundae.

That reveal was shocking at first but later on I kept thinking how tonally incongruous it was with the rest of her antics. We'd been laughing and face-palming at her all day and then suddenly we see a sobering reminder of the consequences of being an idiot.

One good thing about Kim getting caught in an animal trap is that it kept her sidelined for nearly an hour of 24 time. Then after the boyfriend's amputated leg scene she disappears for a few episodes before having a final showdown with Abusive Dad followed by her suffering from some sort of PTSD and almost shooting Jack's new girlfriend.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 28, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ninjasaurus posted:

final showdown with Abusive Dad

Every time I think about that scene with Miles - which is probably too often - I just imagine Jack red-faced and screaming into the phone "JUST SHOOT HIM AGAIN KIM FOR GOD'S SAKE FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE BE A loving BAUER AND KEEP SHOOTING HIM" and I laugh every time.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Kim killing the abusive dad was definitely a highlight in an otherwise mediocre storyline.

Kate Warner was always my favorite out of all Jack's girlfriends. Teri was ugly, Audrey's face bothers me, Renee seemed like a putz, and Nina was kinda cool except for the whole her being a traitor and pure evil thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just wondering how they will handwave away that little minor thing of Audrey being brain dead.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Geekkake posted:

Every time I think about that scene with Miles - which is probably too often - I just imagine Jack red-faced and screaming into the phone "JUST SHOOT HIM AGAIN KIM FOR GOD'S SAKE FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE BE A loving BAUER AND KEEP SHOOTING HIM" and I laugh every time.

I always loved in season 7 when the terrorists try to grab Kim at the airport and she stabs the guy in the leg with a pen. After she tries to call Renee her phone dies so she just yells DAMMIT! and chases after the terrorist guy. I remember the thread at the time was laughing about how Kim finally activated the Bauer genes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm just wondering how they will handwave away that little minor thing of Audrey being brain dead.

I thought they said that she could be brain dead or she could get better. I mean this is a show where a pesky heroin problem or heart issue can just be ignored and Jack can use his own will power to get over.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Geekkake posted:

Oh, it was definitely a moment of catharsis for me too. "Again. Shoot him again."

Who is Miles?

I guess everyone has a favorite of Jack's girlfriends and mine is Audrey so her return is reopening an old wound considering they last left her comatose. At least Jack realized after Heller's speech in the final scene of season 6 that letting Audrey go would mean she wouldn't suffer any more by being his love interest. I will be really loving upset if she ends up dead because she survived Chinese torture just like Jack did so she ought to be invincible now right? :colbert:

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 28, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

Oh, it was definitely a moment of catharsis for me too. "Again. Shoot him again."

Who is Miles?

I guess everyone has a favorite of Jack's girlfriends and mine is Audrey so her return is reopening an old wound considering they last left her comatose. At least Jack realized after Heller's speech in the final scene of season 6 that letting Audrey go would mean she wouldn't suffer any more by being his girlfriend. I will be really loving upset if she ends up dead because she survived Chinese torture just like Jack did so she ought to be invincible now right? :colbert:

She gained the transitive property of Jack? The season ends with Heller, Audry, Jack, and Chloe going on a london rampage. All I am asking for this season is to have Jack torture the queen.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You can't mention the cougar storyline without saying how the cougar bit Elisha Cuthbert in real life on the set in between takes.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

She gained the transitive property of Jack? The season ends with Heller, Audry, Jack, and Chloe going on a london rampage. All I am asking for this season is to have Jack torture the queen.

It would be wonderful if the Queen turns out to be the new Charles Logan. Yeah I know he never tortured Logan but what if he storms Buckingham Palace and takes her hostage? Heller and Audrey could back him up just like they did when he helped them escape that terrorist fortress. And Chloe returns to firing machine guns. I guess what I'm asking for is for the writers to bring back all of the most badass action moments from season 4.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

It would be wonderful if the Queen turns out to be the new Charles Logan. Yeah I know he never tortured Logan but what if he storms Buckingham Palace and takes her hostage? Heller and Audrey could back him up just like they did when he helped them escape that terrorist fortress. And Chloe returns to firing machine guns. I guess what I'm asking for is for the writers to bring back all of the most badass action moments from season 4.

They are all armored up like Jack from season 8.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

They are all armored up like Jack from season 8.

Best superhero movie ever?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Regardless of the reasoning if this season doesn't feature Jack storming Buckingham Palace I'll consider that a massive wasted opportunity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Bauer is the best Punisher we've seen yet

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Ninjasaurus posted:

Who is Miles?

Gary, the abusive dad. He's played by the dude who plays Miles Matheson on Revolution, a show that is also a lunatic whirlwind that makes no sense, and Gary's last name is Matheson and listen I guess I made a mistake so let's just put it behind us and maybe take some hostages together.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope Tony appears in one episode this season and is just like "no everything's cool I'm eating ice cream right now. I'm having a good day" and then we never see him again. He's just having a good day and nothing bad happens.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oliver Reed posted:

Kim killing the abusive dad was definitely a highlight in an otherwise mediocre storyline.

Kate Warner was always my favorite out of all Jack's girlfriends. Teri was ugly, Audrey's face bothers me, Renee seemed like a putz, and Nina was kinda cool except for the whole her being a traitor and pure evil thing.

You're forgetting the Mexican girl and Mrs. Coach.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Quest For Glory II posted:

I hope Tony appears in one episode this season and is just like "no everything's cool I'm eating ice cream right now. I'm having a good day" and then we never see him again. He's just having a good day and nothing bad happens.

His other appearances have been so dissonant that this wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for the character. Except for, you know, how positive it is.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Oh man Renee trying to be a badass is getting cringe-worthy; she just CAN'T pull it off. What makes it worse is Jack is right there watching her interrogate some Russian dude. She pales in comparison.

Her "stop being a baby" line isn't nearly as effective as angry Jack yelling at a suspect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

His other appearances have been so dissonant that this wouldn't seem out of the ordinary for the character. Except for, you know, how positive it is.

It would then end up with him being lactose intolerant

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe like a tragic thing happens and everyone is really sad but there's a split screen moment of Tony enjoying his ice cream to lighten the mood

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ice cream out of the Cubs mug

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

You know what else sucked about Tony in season 7? No Cubs mug.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ah, man, that Cubs mug. That also reminded me of the season-long Bauer "Dammit!"-count and it's bringing back some good memories. 24 was probably the first crazy, ridiculous show I was obsessed with.

bobkatt013 posted:

If we do not get another joint Jake/Heller rampage then there is no reason to bring him back :colbert:

I want Heller to drive Air Force One off a cliff.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don't worry it was only a lobotomy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jack Bauer is the best Punisher we've seen yet

Jack Bauer is pretty much Mack Bolan at this point and I'm totally fine with that.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

24 was probably the first crazy, ridiculous show I was obsessed with.
I've been looking to The Following to fill the void 24 left but it falls short in many respects. Bring on LAD.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Oliver Reed posted:

Oh man Renee trying to be a badass is getting cringe-worthy; she just CAN'T pull it off. What makes it worse is Jack is right there watching her interrogate some Russian dude. She pales in comparison.

Her "stop being a baby" line isn't nearly as effective as angry Jack yelling at a suspect.

I dunno, if its the scene I'm thinking of you may be about to change that opinion.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Oliver Reed posted:

I've been looking to The Following to fill the void 24 left but it falls short in many respects. Bring on LAD.

Kevin Bacon beat a confession out of an eight year old boy this season. I don't know how else to make you happy!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Geekkake posted:

Kevin Bacon beat a confession out of an eight year old boy this season. I don't know how else to make you happy!

Him using a towel to get it.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, if its the scene I'm thinking of you may be about to change that opinion.

Yep, ate my words two seconds after I posted. She's pretty cool after all. Only thing I remember about her in retrospect is the whole sex + sniper incident.

bobkatt013 posted:

Him using a towel to get it.

Oh yes. Season 1 had so many great moments.

Tony saving Teri was one of them and a huge surprise, I can remember how impressed I was the first time I saw it.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Tony really does have the best saves. Him saving Jack and... I don't remember who in season 4 was goddamn amazing.

"Who are you calling?"
"The only man I can trust."

Only time I've ever seen my mom fist pump the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I was REALLY into 24 until season 6. I distinctly remember after Jack shoots Curtis and the bomb goes off I just couldn't do that anymore. That being said I'm pretty pumped for this. The show always had a problem with filling the time with bullshit and cutting it to 12 episodes has me encouraged this will be pretty good. I might even start a rewatch of the seasons if I can convince my wife.

• Locked thread