Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I will go to my grave believing that the series should have ended after season 5, but with the endings of season 4 and 5 switched. So season 4 ends with Jack being kidnapped by the Chinese and the series ends with him walking away into the sunset. In this alternate universe The Simpsons also ended after season 9 with a hit feature film giving the show a proper send off. And LOST didn't fall on its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VagueRant posted:

I think the reason she never came back is because the actor who played Tony apparently played a prank on her (involving some cop friends busting her for marijuana) and it went a bit far...

When they were mapping out Day 7, they were originally going to have Mandy be Tony's accomplice, but they decided that would be a little too out-there.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Timby posted:

When they were mapping out Day 7, they were originally going to have Mandy be Tony's accomplice, but they decided that would be a little too out-there.

Especially as she kidnapped him in Day 4.

I still hope she makes a return in LAD, she was a pretty cool villain.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It is important for your own safety that you in no way are taken into the custody of CTU, either as their prisoner or for protection. You are pretty much guaranteed to get shot inside their headquarters.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

VagueRant posted:

I totally forgot about Jack hooking up with Renee and that THAT was the motivation for his silly death rampage.

Like, it just shows what a cartoon they turned Jack into. They took him too far. I mean, christ, he had less of a reaction to his wife of 20 years' death. 7 might be the dumbest season they did, but 8 ruined Jack Bauer for me.

Jack loses most of the people he is close to, often as a direct consequence of his actions. Renee represented his life after CTU, away from all the death and destruction that had followed him for years. Losing her meant losing this dream, and in his mind that meant he had nothing left to live for. To say that the writing was terrible because his reaction was more violent this time around is to ignore 8 seasons worth of characterization.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Also let's not forget 24: Season Two: The Musical

http://www.jonandal.com/24.html

My favourites are I will torture you, The murder of Jack Bauer and obviously Kim and the Cougars performing Bring it on.

edit: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2fccd72a35/24-the-musical-kim-and-the-cougar

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know about you goon, but I always waffle on whether season 2 or 3 was the better season.

Two, IMO, has the better main plot. Nuclear bombs, President Palmer, CTU getting F-ed in the A, etc...but the B/C plot with Kim is INSUFFERABLE.

The Mis-Adventures of Season 2 Kim include:
Kidnapping the psycho's daughter and the ensuing chase.
Kidnapping her a second time from the hospital with Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Arrested by a cop because of the dead mom in the trunk from Psycho Dad.
Escapes from the cop car thanks to Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Runs into a cougar, and escapes it, only to be caught in a loving cougar trap. A simple snare trap that a five-year-old could escape from.
Doomsday Prepper psycho rescues her, but lies to her to hold her hostage to start a new human race...or something.
Amazingly, no major problems in hitchhiking back to LA.
Becomes a hostage during the robbery of a liquor store (I legitimately forgot about this one until reading it just now on a synopsis on Wikipedia.)
Goes back to the house of Psycho Dad, and at least manages to do something right and kills him.

Season three is more consistent, even if the main plot falls a little flat for me, in general.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know about you goon, but I always waffle on whether season 2 or 3 was the better season.

Two, IMO, has the better main plot. Nuclear bombs, President Palmer, CTU getting F-ed in the A, etc...but the B/C plot with Kim is INSUFFERABLE.

Runs into a cougar, and escapes it, only to be caught in a loving cougar trap. A simple snare trap that a five-year-old could escape from.
Doomsday Prepper psycho rescues her, but lies to her to hold her hostage to start a new human race...or something.
Becomes a hostage during the robbery of a liquor store (I legitimately forgot about this one until reading it just now on a synopsis on Wikipedia.)
Goes back to the house of Psycho Dad, and at least manages to do something right and kills him.

Season three is more consistent, even if the main plot falls a little flat for me, in general.
Kim plots are a lot better if you just imagine its her character from Happy Endings.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
The moment with David Palmer looking out the window of his plane at the explosion will always cement season 2 as my favorite, despite Kim's ineptitude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I hated season three when it first aired, because it was the first time the real-time gimmick started really actively hampering the writers (Tony being back on his feet five hours after being shot in the loving neck), and having the entire first third of the season be revealed as "oh it's just an undercover sting lol" and a waste of time really rubbed me the wrong way. It was also the start of the plots getting too complex for their own good: "Oh poo poo we have to stop a virus attack" / "Oh poo poo we have to stop the purchase of the virus" / "Oh poo poo we lost the virus we have to chase this guy" / "Oh poo poo we've been chasing the wrong guy" / "Oh poo poo this is the REAL bad guy and he has all the cards" / "Oh poo poo we have to stop a virus attack." The cohesion of the plot was sacrificed for "holy poo poo" moments like Gael snorting death dust, executing Chappelle and the jets blowing up Saunders' helicopter.

That being said, Day 3 is a loving masterpiece compared to the shitshows that came later.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I rewatched the whole series a few years ago when they were all on Netflix (they probably still are). It helped to skip things like Kim's subplots after season 1, any scene with Palmer's wife, etc. I may have to do that again before Live Another Day, probably skipping even more this time.

The old 24 TVIV threads were awesome.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Knightmare posted:

Current kill count: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: :derp: x20

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Knightmare posted:

I rewatched the whole series a few years ago when they were all on Netflix (they probably still are). It helped to skip things like Kim's subplots after season 1, any scene with Palmer's wife, etc. I may have to do that again before Live Another Day, probably skipping even more this time.

Sherry Palmer rules. Sorry you feel that way.

I didn't think S3 was great. It's the second worst season because they were too afraid to have anything happen to Michelle, Tony, Pres. Palmer, and Kim. Tony survives getting shot and Michelle survives an attack that kills 90% of its victims. The last 8 hours did tighten up the act.

I'm hoping with only 12 episodes, they'll cut the fat when it comes to lovely subplots. Though I still sort of wished they did the full 24 episodes and have a bad subplot for tradition and TVIV mockery. I read the Sackoff plot in S8 as a parody of every bad plot they've done before and enjoyed laughing with the show.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jack loving Bauer posted:

You probably don't think I could force this towel down your throat, but trust me I can. All the way. Except that I'd hold onto this little bit at the end. When your stomach starts to digest the towel, I pull it out. Taking your stomach lining with it. Most people probably take about a week to die. It's very painful.

I totally believed he could and would do this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Does anyone know how the process of writing Season 1 went? I refuse to believe that it was all planned from the start because the Nina twist makes no goddamn sense when you consider the rest of the season. Also Kim's friend's dad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone know how the process of writing Season 1 went? I refuse to believe that it was all planned from the start because the Nina twist makes no goddamn sense when you consider the rest of the season. Also Kim's friend's dad.

I seem to recall they wrote 8-9 episodes upfront and played the rest by ear based on audience reaction.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think the first 13 episodes were written first then they got a full season and did the rest. What was the issue with Kim's friend's dad?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I think the first 13 episodes were written first then they got a full season and did the rest. What was the issue with Kim's friend's dad?

The twist that he wasn't the real dad and was actually with the kidnappers/terrorists.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first 13 episodes were written well in advance of filming -- this is why the end of the 13th episode has Jack rescuing Teri and Kim and being airlifted back to safety. In the event that the series flopped and the back 9 episodes didn't get ordered (this was a legitimate concern; remember, Kiefer Sutherland's career had essentially flatlined at that point, and the rest of the cast was a bunch of nobodies), they wanted some semblance of a complete story with some closure to be told in those thirteen hours. When they got the order for the back nine, that's when everything went to hell, because they really didn't have anything mapped out beyond the broad strokes about Victor Drazen, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The twist that he wasn't the real dad and was actually with the kidnappers/terrorists.

We found out the real dad was dead in issue 5. It was set up from the start.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was pretty loving apparent the minute he appeared on screen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Except for some reason he's all panicked and frantically picking up the phone when Terry first calls him.

Timby posted:

The first 13 episodes were written well in advance of filming -- this is why the end of the 13th episode has Jack rescuing Teri and Kim and being airlifted back to safety. In the event that the series flopped and the back 9 episodes didn't get ordered (this was a legitimate concern; remember, Kiefer Sutherland's career had essentially flatlined at that point, and the rest of the cast was a bunch of nobodies), they wanted some semblance of a complete story with some closure to be told in those thirteen hours. When they got the order for the back nine, that's when everything went to hell, because they really didn't have anything mapped out beyond the broad strokes about Victor Drazen, etc.

That makes sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except for some reason he's all panicked and frantically picking up the phone when Terry first calls him.

He could have been worried that Terri would not call him, and he would not be close to her and able to kidnap her later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

Richard Burgi is one of those actors where you just know he's a bad guy the moment he shows up. Same with how Sean Bean always dies, Christopher Lee and Alan Rickman are always bad, etc. ... or, for an example from the same season of 24, Michael Massee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

Richard Burgi is one of those actors where you just know he's a bad guy the moment he shows up. Same with how Sean Bean always dies, Christopher Lee and Alan Rickman are always bad, etc. ... or, for an example from the same season of 24, Michael Massee.

That is not true

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Timby posted:

Fun fact: Burgi was originally cast to play Jack Bauer but the producers decided to go with a bigger name and hired Kiefer.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Quick tip of the day, for fans who bailed in season six: Do give season seven a go. The new setting in Washington DC and largely new cast is absolutely worth your time.

A warning disclaimer: The 7th season sort of blows its load by episode 13 and just meanders around afterwards. The first 13 episodes are pretty good and everything else is still okay.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrandonGK posted:

Fun fact: Burgi was originally cast to play Jack Bauer but the producers decided to go with a bigger name and hired Kiefer.

Yup, a similar thing happened to him with the old Flash series too I think.

In casting news for this season, it seems that Judy Davis had to drop out before filming starts and has been replaced by Michelle Fairley. I know her from Suits and I'm sure the rest of you know her from that other show she does. She's been pretty good on Suits so this is a good casting move in my opinion.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
I'm way too excited for this. Way too excited.

I kind of love season 8. A lot of dumb things happen... the king of this being the casting of Freddie Prinze Jr and there's a lot of bad acting but it's just so loving entertaining. After the show turned Jack into a murder cartoon that tortured his own brother with a plastic bag at the drop of a hat, you just start having to judge the show by a different set of criteria. And that criteria is "How entertaining is this stream-of-conscious action fever dream today?" Anil Kapoor was actually really good in that season, too. Brought in a level of gravitas that echoed the late, great David Palmer.

Season 3 is the best season with the best ending. The episode where everyone is rapidly developing symptoms of the lethal virus in the quarantined hotel and they're struggling to maintain control of the situation was incredibly tense.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How could anyone forget that in Season 3 Jack kicks a heroin addiction in a matter of hours?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

VagueRant posted:

Like, it just shows what a cartoon they turned Jack into. They took him too far. I mean, christ, he had less of a reaction to his wife of 20 years' death. 7 might be the dumbest season they did, but 8 ruined Jack Bauer for me.

Until they show Jack being crushed by a giant boulder and coming out shaped like an accordion Wile E. Coyote-style, I will continue to watch.

Hell, even after that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How could anyone forget that in Season 3 Jack kicks a heroin addiction in a matter of hours?

Nobody forgets that. But it doesn't really matter. Season 3 had the best villains the show ever had which makes it one of the better seasons. Ramon Salazar (the best villain of the entire series), Hector Salazar, and Steven Saunders were all great. Plus we had some of the best stuff with Nina. And of course the Chappelle thing was probably a high point for the series as well. There's a lot of really good stuff in Season 3.

Then you had the mole fakeout with Gael. Tony and Jack's master plan. Tony going rogue. poo poo just talking about it makes me want to marathon the whole season right now.

EDIT: And who can forget Cloudy-a?

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 13, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Season 2 has some great moments too. The poo poo with Chappelle was incredible, but I preferred what happened to Mason.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
The worst of 24:

Zypher fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 13, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't know, the whole Kim subplot in Season 2 was almost worth it just for the scene where Jack tells her to shoot the guy a second time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The show is never really going to top Chloe awkwardly firing a machine gun like Charles Barkley swings a golf club.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zypher posted:

The worst of 24:

Your picture of Ricky Schroeder isn't showing up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Quest For Glory II posted:

The show is never really going to top Chloe awkwardly firing a machine gun like Charles Barkley swings a golf club.

And the change from spergy psycho chick to nerdgasm queen was complete.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

At least with the Kim stuff in Day 2 you can ignore every single scene of hers that doesn't also involve Jack and miss literally nothing. The scene where she says goodbye to Jack when he's flying the nuke-plane is pretty emotional though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Deadpool posted:

Your picture of Ricky Schroeder isn't showing up.

Fixed this for you

• Locked thread