Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Timby posted:

When they were mapping out Day 7, they were originally going to have Mandy be Tony's accomplice, but they decided that would be a little too out-there.

Especially as she kidnapped him in Day 4.

I still hope she makes a return in LAD, she was a pretty cool villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know about you goon, but I always waffle on whether season 2 or 3 was the better season.

Two, IMO, has the better main plot. Nuclear bombs, President Palmer, CTU getting F-ed in the A, etc...but the B/C plot with Kim is INSUFFERABLE.

The Mis-Adventures of Season 2 Kim include:
Kidnapping the psycho's daughter and the ensuing chase.
Kidnapping her a second time from the hospital with Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Arrested by a cop because of the dead mom in the trunk from Psycho Dad.
Escapes from the cop car thanks to Kung-Fu Boyfriend.
Runs into a cougar, and escapes it, only to be caught in a loving cougar trap. A simple snare trap that a five-year-old could escape from.
Doomsday Prepper psycho rescues her, but lies to her to hold her hostage to start a new human race...or something.
Amazingly, no major problems in hitchhiking back to LA.
Becomes a hostage during the robbery of a liquor store (I legitimately forgot about this one until reading it just now on a synopsis on Wikipedia.)
Goes back to the house of Psycho Dad, and at least manages to do something right and kills him.

Season three is more consistent, even if the main plot falls a little flat for me, in general.

At least with the Kim stuff in Day 2 you can ignore every single scene of hers that doesn't also involve Jack and miss literally nothing. The scene where she says goodbye to Jack when he's flying the nuke-plane is pretty emotional though.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

In later years 24 also veered away from "torture works EVERY TIME" as a constant story source. Instead, the show spent a bit more time about the personal cost of torturing on the torturers; both Jack and Renee's stories can be read as cautionary tales about the way torturing erodes everyone involved.

I wish they'd had a few times where someone breaks under torture and spills the plan, but later you find he was lying and just said anything to stop the torture (like what actually happens) resulting in the real plan succeeding. It would have been a nice subversion of the normal 24 "torture always works" thing.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saunders is my favorite villain. Season 3 had SO MANY good moments.

"You don't have anymore useful information, do you, Nina?"

".....I do."

"No, you don't." *Bang Bang Bang*

I think everyone watching that cheered at that point.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Oliver Reed posted:

And I wish they never killed off Bill.

He at least got a cool heroic death.

The white house invasion was probably the least realistic and most retarded thing the show has ever done, but it was totally awesome at the same time.

Plus it had Aaron Pierce kicking rear end. I hope he makes an appearance in the new season somehow, he was always one of my favourite characters. His verbal bitchslap to President Logan Charles was the one of best speeches in the whole show.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Geekkake posted:

Every time I think about that scene with Miles - which is probably too often - I just imagine Jack red-faced and screaming into the phone "JUST SHOOT HIM AGAIN KIM FOR GOD'S SAKE FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE BE A loving BAUER AND KEEP SHOOTING HIM" and I laugh every time.

I always loved in season 7 when the terrorists try to grab Kim at the airport and she stabs the guy in the leg with a pen. After she tries to call Renee her phone dies so she just yells DAMMIT! and chases after the terrorist guy. I remember the thread at the time was laughing about how Kim finally activated the Bauer genes.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The best thing about Palmers death was immediately following it up with Michelles death. Palmer was a "Holy poo poo, they're starting the season off with a bang" moment but I don't think anyone was expecting another major character to die in the premier episode, before the first commercial break. I know I pretty much jumped out my seat going :tviv:.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Sherry did kill a man entirely by yelling at him which was pretty awesome though. Even Jack hasn't done that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ravel posted:

To be fair all the other seasons start in either the morning or midday. By the end of the first season he's been awake for over 40 hours.

And he's still a mostly normal man with a wife and family, the hacksaw incident was a great way to show how much the loss of Teri hosed him up and why he was first to volunteer for the one way flight with the nuke.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I kinda like season 3 more after-the-fact because of how well the 24 game slots into the space between season 2 and 3. You actually get to see how Jack and Chase became partners, along with all sorts of cameos from people like Chloe and Mandy and the whole 24 family

Just a shame the actual gameplay is pretty lovely. The interrogation missions were fun though, getting to be all 'DAMMIT TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS' was fun.

I'd love to see a competent developer have a crack at it again though, I think it could be a pretty awesome game.

Also, I'm hyped for next Monday. Jack is back and he's gonna snap some terrorist necks :derp:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/President_of_the_United_States

drat, even I forgot about a few, including President Ray Wise.

Speaking of Ray Wise, I watched the first Robocop yesterday and were surprised how many 24 alum I saw. You had Ray, Paul McCrane (Graem Bauer in S5/6) and Kurtwood Smith (Senator Mayor in S7) all in the same gang.

Not forgetting Peter Weller (Henderson is S5), obviously.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'm pumped as hell for the return of the Jack Bauer Power Hour

:derp: :derp: :derp:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

WitchFetish posted:

Anything for more Charles Logan.

Also if we're poting fanfics/plot ideas : season 9, after saving the US for the 43rd time, Jack gets appointed to some position within Heller's government. After an extremely well organized terrorist attack in the first hour, Jack gets promoted up the chain of succession to POTUS, and basically the show goes from here. Also Tony is back.

I'd love to see Jack as POTUS, it'd be completely retarded but hilarious and awesome. Chloe is Secretary of cyber-defense. Aaron Pierce is the head of the Secret Service.

Also, Tony is Secretary of sports, Cubs win every season from then on.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

TheAngryDrunk posted:

He genuinely seems like he's trying to stop the terrorists, so he's a mole in another capacity.

Yeah, I think he's working for the Chinese, framed Kates husband to divert attention. Is her husband alive or just in jail?

Also, how come we got a .gif of Simone getting a bus to the face but none of Kate escaping her torturers? That was badass, you know Jack was totally impressed/aroused.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Mary Lynn Rajskub just retweeted this picture. Possible :siren:spoilers :siren: for a maybe returning character.

http://i.imgur.com/Q239S0b.jpg

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I laughed so hard after Jack defenestrated Margot. That was pure Bauer.

Keeping Heller alive was dumb as hell but whatever, it's :twentyfour:.

The drone override sounds like it's going to become a new CIP device/Nuclear power planet override though, which is a bit silly. I would think America would secure their poo poo better by now.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, this is seriously in the top tier of 24 seasons. Everything has been plotted really well. The 12 episode seasons suit them perfectly. But the ratings aren't that hot for it so I don't know if they'll do more. I know I'd watch 12 episode seasons from now until Kiefer died if they wanted to do it though.

Also the title of the last episode is 10pm-11am so that's going to be interesting as hell. My guess is an epilogue of sorts to wrap everything up in case this is it.

Final episode speculation based on last episode title: A quick google tells me a flight from London to LA is about 11 and a bit hours. That's be perfect to wrap everything in London up around 10:40pm, jump on a plane, and we arrive at LAX and 10:40am (London time, about 2am LA time) and have enough time to see Jack greeted off the plane by Kim and her kids.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Sober posted:

How did it play anyway?

I mean if you made a 24-esque game today it would basically be The Walking Dead/The Wolf Among Us Telltale style but maybe without any of the down moments where you can walk around and talk to people/solve puzzles.

Most of the levels were 3rd person cover based shooting, with the occasional driving level and a few puzzles of varying types simulating hacking a hard drive or opening a socket :twentyfour:. The most unique levels were the interrogation ones where you had to choose one of 3 approaches (angry, maintain or calm) to alter the suspects stress to a target level and get them to spill the beans.

There was nothing wrong with any of the ideas in the game, they just needed to have them done by better game devs. The game we got could be charitably described as 'mostly functional'.

At least it told us what happened to Max from Day 2.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope this leads to 24: The Movie (for real this time) that's just all out nuclear war with Jack, Tony, Kate and Aaron Pierce (with Chloe as tech support) being the blackest of Black Ops teams.

Cutting this season down to 12 episodes was definitely a great idea, it feels like there's been hardly any padding or filler that doesn't go anywhere.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
24 seasons 1-8 are still on Netflix Canada if you're looking to (re)watch it. :)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Unavailable to me. I'm American.

Can you not use Hola Unblocker or something? I use it to access the American Netflix/BBC iplayer from Canada.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Season 6 could have been great if they used it as a chance to mix up the formula. Like, after the nuke Jack should have been told Kim is in Valencia and he goes there fighting through looters/chaos to find/rescue Kim and get her somewhere safe.

I'm not sure how you'd stretch that to 20 episodes. Maybe that would have been a good story for the movie.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

CaptainHollywood posted:

So so so many missteps for that season. They were coming off Emmy gold with season 5 (and four other incredibly solid seasons of television). No one questioned what they were doing- because they had been doing it for 5 years.

"Rememeber Graem from Season 5 who was controlling Logan- let's make him Jack's brother. And we'll make Jack's father the main bad guy!"

I wish they'd not made Graem a Bauer and saved him for the Puppetmaster that Tony was trying to kill in S7 (Alan Wilson?). It would have made so much more sense instead of introducing some guy out of nowhere and being told he was really behind it all.

Despite all of the issues with season 6, it still had a few awesome moments. (Vampire Jack, Jack kicking a terrorist so hard he explodes, the nuke and Jack Vs Fayad fistfight was amazing)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Kiefer Sutherland is Big Boss now, which means he could fall into a nanomachine-induced coma but awaken years later once the AI that controls the nanomachines is destroyed.

I really hope this, word for word, is the plot for 24 Day 10. I need to see Jack Bauer fight a Nuclear equipped walking battletank.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
How many Jack-kills did we get on the boat? The loving SWORD HEAD CHOP was the Bauerest thing I've ever seen, holy poo poo, that was amazing.

Cutting down to 12 episodes was the best thing this show has ever done, I can't wait for the inevitable day 10. Chloe, Kate, Belcheck and Tony go to Moscow to break Jack out.

:twentyfour: :twentyfour: :twentyfour: :twentyfour: :twentyfour: :twentyfour:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

hypersleep posted:

Jack shoots and "kills" Renee when he, Tony and Emerson catch her, and Emerson wants Jack to prove he's trustworthy. Jack purposely just grazes her neck, and she survives.

He then has to bury her and the silent clock is as she disappears under the dirt. It was a good use of the clock as 'tension builder' rather then 'emphasizing sorrow'.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Awesome.

I really hope that's a teaser/lead in for another 12 episode Season 10. Tony released from jail to help Kate and Chloe break Jack out and stop some massive terrorist attack right?

Spoiled in case you haven't watched that video yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Sorry to necro the thread, but there's a rumour that 24 might continue without Kiefer.

https://twitter.com/TVGuideMagazine/status/556522971074818048

I can see the show continuing without him as the star, Kate was a pretty awesome LadyJack and I'd be happy to see her take over the lead.
If they do another season I hope they at least resolve Jacks story, it'd suck if it just ended with him going to a Russian Prison. I can't imagine his story ending with anything else them him dying in a hail of gunfire protecting Kim.

• Locked thread