Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Section Z posted:

I hate the ancient wisp so bad, because of how hard it is for me to consistently dodge that lightning wave. It also being yet another attack on the list of "Attacks that completely ignore Enforcer Shield" :argh:

I love turrets, not for how much damage they can do, but because they let you do ANY damage while still having to run your rear end off around to dodge things. Similarly why I like any damage aura items even if I'm all ranged because at least things near me are still getting hurt.

I also love Han-D's style (I opened his container by a fortunate accident mid fight), but it always makes so sad that if you make it to the final boss with him, congratulations now one of your skills is can no longer recharge.

Also, at least I'm not the only one super terrible at dodging the worm attacks :shobon:
I think the strategy is to move left or right a bit when it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
Magma Worm, while the hardest of what I call "Easy bosses" is actually pretty easy for every character except the commando and bandit in my experience.

The boss spawning thing is sorta up in the air, I'm only speaking from my own experience on that one cause there's no real documentation on it. On Rainstorm they never start spawning for me until at least Impossible difficulty, maybe it's because I tend to rush the game a lot more than others might.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Bosses start spawning at different times for each stage. You might get random bosses as early as 10 minutes in if you're still on stage 1, but if you stick to 5 minutes a stage you'll almost never see more than 1 boss a stage. Even the last stage isn't an exception. If you open the bridge door around 26-30 minutes there's a pretty good chance you won't get a boss.

Elites follow similar spawning logic. If you're blitzing through the stages at 3 minutes each you'll see a handful of elites towards the end of teleporter events and then it'll take a while before they spawn on the next stage. However, elites gain their special abilities based on the total time. Once orange elites start shooting missiles, advancing stages doesn't stop them from shooting missiles. It just means you have fewer elites shooting at you.

I seem to be one of only a few people voting enforcer this time. He's the only class that I don't really "get" well enough to pull off wins consistently. Even after his buffs it just seems like his primary source of damage can be cut off by a single orange elite hiding in a pack.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just jumping in to say that this is an awesome LP. I bought a 4-pack while it was on sale and since then my brother and I haven't played anything else. Just got my first solo clear as Commando last night and have all but two characters unlocked. I really get what people were saying about the game just clicking after a few runs. Got obliterated constantly at first and didn't get a clear till we played co-op. Then I played as Sniper for like 3 hours and while I didn't get a clear I did find that my overall play skill went up a lot. Commando is essentially easy mode compared to some of these.

That said I vote Enforcer because I can't clear the first level with him.

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
Voting for episode 4 is now CLOSED! The episode should be up sometime within the week, thanks to everyone that voted!

Also, Scalding Coffee I sent you a PM and Mulgar you'll have to add me on steam cause there's a lot of Mulgars and I can't tell which is you.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Best Friend Skull posted:

Mulgar you'll have to add me on steam cause there's a lot of Mulgars and I can't tell which is you.

Ah, okay. Will do so. I'm liking this Let's Play so far.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
When I said "glad to see I wasn't the only one bad at dodging work attacks", I meant the worms at the end boss spamming laser and spread shot :downs:

Thanks for the reminders that the Magma Worm only hurts what it passes through on the ground though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I also had trouble with work attacks these last few days. I sent the message.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Hi there! Last night a bunch of us (including Skull) streamed Risk of Rain and though it's a bit rough and I'm really bad, I think it made for some fun times, so with Skull's permission I'm gonna post our escapades in the thread. Because everyone loves content

Run 1: Vicas and Kuvo at the Olympic Games

The sound balance is really off at the start, but as it goes my mic gets louder and I lower the game sounds. I also somehow had checked the downscale button on OBS so the videos came out as 842x480. But it was fun and I'm planning on doing something like this again, maybe next weekend, and maybe I'll host my own server get a billion people in it, for fun. We'll see.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Great, I've seen this game on sale like 5 times or more, but only now have I seen it in action. Well, :10bux: isn't that much, so what the hell, I want to play it enough that thats fine.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I had this game for a little while but only recently fired it up.

I'm bad at video games :(

Enjoying the LP so far. I'm game for reading some logs or failing at some co-op.

Carousel Of Regret
Nov 7, 2013
Dag, wish I hadn't missed the stream. I haven't really been able to get co-op going, so it was interesting to see how it works (or go awry, as it turns out).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is that new option on top?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Forced item sharing? I think we explain it at some point during the stream but it's this weird thing where everyone has to be within one item of each other, so for example no one can get two items until everyone on the team has one. It's really weird and we don't try it, especially because as we start adding more players people start going off in completely different directions

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It works like you said, but each tier of item (white, green, red) is worth a different amount of points. Which is dumb, since there are some white items that are fantastic, and some reds that are merely okay.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Ah, yeah, that makes it even weirder

Here, have runs 2 and 3 from last night. Our player list is ever growing!

Run 2: It turns out some features of the game are disabled in co-op!
Run 3: Whoops, player limits

I like to think I got significantly better as the night went on, but uh, you can be the judge of that

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
What really makes forced item sharing awful is how instead of just picking up the item and it going to whoever may need it, like money does, the person actually has to go by it and pick it up, which is bloody silly and can wind up wasting an awful lot of time cause it forces everyone to stay near each other instead of splitting up to find the teleporter faster.

As a note what Vicas is posting here was my first time playing real co-op, particularly with 5 friggin people, so I may say something in the footage that's totally inaccurate and if anyone catches that please let me know about it and what I said wrong so I can correct myself in a future update.

I'll be adding the stream to the OP as Vicas uploads it so if you wanna keep up with it but don't like reading through stuff it'll all be in there. Update is still in the works, should be up the 24th or 25th.

PS. Oh god Vicas you actually made that your avatar, hoo boy...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Co-op with lots of people is weird. The game doesn't increase the number of items that drop, so to stay safe people need to work together in serious tandem. 2-3 people, people have plenty of items around still to be viable, but 4+ and there's just not enough swag to go around anymore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Co-op with lots of people is weird. The game doesn't increase the number of items that drop, so to stay safe people need to work together in serious tandem. 2-3 people, people have plenty of items around still to be viable, but 4+ and there's just not enough swag to go around anymore.

Yeah, I find the game is easiest with two people since you have enough items to not really be weaker while having another person, but beyond that it can get hairy due to lack of items, especially on Monsoon.

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
I was finding that since I usually split off from the group (which you'll see when I'm actually in the co-op in the next upload) I wound up getting tonnes more items than anyone else but still not really enough to survive adequately. It definitely takes some serious getting used to.

Also, to anyone who's applied for/requested an item log thing I am a little bit backlogged right now. Between reality, the update itself, streaming and the grand asshat that is after effects I've got a lot of stuff to do all of a sudden which the log video, since it's sorta non-deadlined, is a little back on the list. I'll be getting to it don't worry but just because I haven't gotten back to you yet doesn't mean I hate you it's just that I have so much other stuff to do I have to set my priorities. If you want to make things a little easier on me add me on Skype (Best Friend Skull) or Steam/twitter (Bestfriendskull) or hell even e-mail me (bfriendskull@gmail.com) and send me a clip of yourself speaking directly, this way I don't have to ask for it and wait around for you to get back to me and so when I sit down to get to work on the video I can just instantly hand out your lines. Also if you have a preferred log or a log you just like please let me know as that makes my life much easier because I can just give it straight to you.

Best Friend Skull fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 24, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Trip report on my experiences in this game (after buying it because of this thread):

-Combat and assault drones are awesome if you get enough. Around 6-8 and the pig boss was losing ~5% health a second without me firing
-Drizzle seems scizofrenic. It was noticably easier than normal but I got two extra bosses (Ifrit and Scavenger) in stage 3 aat ~25 minutes in (I want to get a feel for the game, okay :mad:)
-Stacked Rusty Jetpacks are hilarious. I got 5 by the time I first won (on Drizzle...) and it increased vertical mobility to a ridiculous level.
-The Enforcer is kinda awesome for being the easiest character to unlock, being easy to learn and fairly strong.
-Some characters (coughsnipercough) seem like they really need to be used in multiplayer to be usefull.
-Some of those achevements seem a bit bulshit. Get through the third tele with the command without taking damage comes to mind.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

-Some characters (coughsnipercough) seem like they really need to be used in multiplayer to be usefull.
-Some of those achevements seem a bit bulshit. Get through the third tele with the command without taking damage comes to mind.

If you don't wanna bother with the achievements you can just edit the save file (it's a text file in the main folder). The wiki has a list of what achievements unlock what.

And Sniper is definitely hard to play but pretty good once you get used to it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There's an entire class of characters that are utterly amazing on the appropriate terrain. Enforcer basically only needs to cozy up against a wall and start shooting, he's done at that point. Sniper works great when there is a lot of uneven terrain, so he can backflip away properly and start storing power for his charged shot, and when the swarm follows him after his stunt he can rip loose and murder 5 at a time.

The Commando achievement is one for multiplayer, pure and simple.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Sniper is class where to play it properly in single player you need to get lucky with drops and drones.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never saw a Proton Pack in any game.
I heard everyone has to press up to enter that hidden stage.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Speaking of the Proton Pack:

Run 4: Jetpack Adventures

This game gets pretty glorious with 5 people in it

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well. I ended up buying this game because of this thread.

Um... I will, I will stop sucking eventually, right? ... right...?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

citybeatnik posted:

I beat the game for the first time last night after around 25 or so runs. It's surprising how quickly you start to get a feel for the game once you get going, and then it just takes a good set of drops to get you rolling

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

citybeatnik posted:

It really does become almost second nature over time, my recommendation is to just keep trial and erroring strategies and characters until stuff starts to work for you. I beat the game on about my 15th run once I started to realize optimal strategies and playstyles. I did it with the Bandit as well cause I didn't like the Commando at first.

Vicas posted:

Speaking of the Proton Pack:

Run 4: Jetpack Adventures

This game gets pretty glorious with 5 people in it

This was a senselessly large amount of fun and a real learning experience for me on how different the game gets playing co-op. Also it becomes evident why I do post commentary.

Quick thing: During the Magma Barracks here I'm saying to wait around a bit so I can go search for the miner, as it turns out the miner is the only character that absolutely cannot be unlocked in Co-op. My bad.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Once you get any other class but the commando or the enforcer(HAH!), it's definitely possible on easy difficulty. I got my first win after about... somewhere between 5-10 tries? I did it with the bandit, I think.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

This was a senselessly large amount of fun and a real learning experience for me on how different the game gets playing co-op. Also it becomes evident why I do post commentary.

The only reason I had any clue what I was saying was because I was dead half the time :v:

Well, maybe not half at this point, we haven't gotten to the extremely ill-fated sentinel run yet

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

Quick thing: During the Magma Barracks here I'm saying to wait around a bit so I can go search for the miner, as it turns out the miner is the only character that absolutely cannot be unlocked in Co-op. My bad.

It is possible to unlock the miner in Co-op. I definitely did it last time I played. I think the dude that needs to unlock it might need to be the host though.

Wikiman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 25, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wikiman posted:

It is possible to unlock the miner in Co-op. I definitely did it last time I played. I think the dude that need to unlock it might need to be the host though.
Yeah, having played recently with Panzer in coop; she needed to unlock the Miner and we walked over to the area....to which the boss appeared to her but not to me? It was very odd. She also managed to do the door for Han-D (which I didn't see) and instead of giving out the character, it just gave out an error. The game is pretty fun otherwise.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

citybeatnik posted:

I got most achievements before I finally got a win.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

From my experience, Acrid and Han-D will never show up in multiplayer. Everyone else is fair game.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Has anyone figured out how to make the final stage not lag like hell? Turning graphics to low doesn't make any difference.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ViggyNash posted:

Once you get any other class but the commando or the enforcer(HAH!), it's definitely possible on easy difficulty. I got my first win after about... somewhere between 5-10 tries? I did it with the bandit, I think.

Yeah, beat it on my eighth try after a full hour as the commando, on easy. It was after the third repeat of a level or thereabouts that I went "wait a second, there's TWO options at the teleporters now!?"

Pretty dang fun, I'll have to see how the other classes play out since I ended up unlocking not just the Bandit, the Enforcer, and HAN-D but also two others that haven't been covered in the official thread yet.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Frocobo posted:

Has anyone figured out how to make the final stage not lag like hell? Turning graphics to low doesn't make any difference.
Only time I got the stage to lag was Acrid pissing poison on the ground during the snake battle.
That patch really upped the jetpack drop.

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, having played recently with Panzer in coop; she needed to unlock the Miner and we walked over to the area....to which the boss appeared to her but not to me? It was very odd. She also managed to do the door for Han-D (which I didn't see) and instead of giving out the character, it just gave out an error. The game is pretty fun otherwise.

GAK, I was wrong about co-op again :(

Turns out from some research I just did that the Direseeker (the boss name) is invisible to any player but the host and when the host beats it only they will get the Miner, which is odd but makes sense cause co-op makes a lot of achivements easy. The one that is confirmed to absolutely not be unlockable in Co-op is Acrid, his box will never be there. It's unconfirmed but suspected you can't get HAN-D.

Frocobo posted:

RoR is a CPU monster. The only way to get the last level not to lag is by getting a better computer. It's an issue with the program it's made with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Frocobo posted:

I have a terrible laptop and get a fine framerate there. Use frameksip if you're not already.

• Locked thread