Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice
Okay, I've got to vent somewhere about this.

Over 240 goddamn minutes. My run had been going for over 4 hours. I had a cloud of drones, I'd unlocked five different things, I was nigh-unkillable and beefy as hell. So I start recording to see my first victory against Providence, because there was no way I was losing with this setup. Recording software going, I activated the last teleporter...
Risk of Rain froze. Stopped working. Crashed completely. When I loaded back up, all the achievements and their items were gone. Absolutely everything was gone.

I still haven't gotten that beefy again. Goddamn was I disappointed about it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
New update!

Voting's open for an indeterminate amount of time as I work on the achievement vid.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Best Friend Skull posted:

New update!

Voting's open for an indeterminate amount of time as I work on the achievement vid.

I'm only getting 360p on the video. Is that something you did to keep the size down or is youtube being a butt?

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Crigit posted:

I'm only getting 360p on the video. Is that something you did to keep the size down or is youtube being a butt?

Hrm, I'm not sure but I did do something a little bit different with the editing this time around. I'll see what I can do to fix that.

EDIT: oookay, guess it's YT not liking MKVs? I honestly don't know what's going on here.

Best Friend Skull fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 27, 2014

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
That was a sweet video. I've never cleared the game with HAN-D so it was cool seeing how it's done. I'll definitely keep the war banner thing in mind next time I get to Providence. I always thought it just disappeared like the enemies do when you click the console.
Also interesting talk about the different stats of the characters. I'd been almost completely ignoring drones as the melee characters, as I thought they'd get destroyed instantly since you're taking way more damage as them.

Anyway, good going. It's nice to have a guy that's as passionate about the game as you talking over it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Well, that was enlightening. I've always found HAN-D problematic, and he was actually the last character I unlocked (never noticed his box), and I found his lack of mobility challenging when compared to the other melee characters. Who knows, maybe I've soaked enough from the video to get past stage four with him!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I had a variant of that keycard door bug happen during a run as a non HAN-D character in that I couldn't open a few of the doors, but once I opened one door, a different one became unlockable, etc, etc. It was really strange, as I hadn't had that problem in previous runs on the final stage. :iiam:

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Yeah, that keycard bug has hit me multiples times during my Huntress runs. Sometimes it un-bugs itself, sometimes it doesn't. It only seems to affect the right-hand doors, for whatever reason. Perhaps due to the way they're placed in the level?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
drat, that boss fight... I could feel the tension and I was just watching you talk over a previous recording. Totally gonna hve to get this!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I've never actually been into the Armory or Cabin doors because those two doors have always been bugged for me.

Although it is possible to get into the Cabin without using a keycard if you have a few jetpacks. You do need a card to get out, though.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Rolling right along, have another run from last Friday:

Run 5: Your drat honey

I've beaten the game twice and I still hate those bees

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Poor Han-D. You played so well as a Rockem Sockem, and your rewards is to not punch the final boss because punching someone with a punch character is just dumb suicide until you have no choice at all :saddowns: You deserved that punch win.

Even my one win (I think it was Drizzle considering no listed stats) with my first use of Bandit, it was 90% drones. The last half of red on his final health bar took about as long as the rest of the boss room combined because no more drones left, and I'm so bad at jumpshot while running away at the same time.

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
I gotta say I appreciate this LP, because this is the type of game I normally LOATHE. Strict time limits make me unbelievably anxious, and I appreciate time to consider my actions and pick my way carefully, in a fashion that is narratively consistent if not the best strategic choice. I'm pretty atrocious at twitch gaming, I find tension unpleasant, and I get rapidly bored when I replay old content. I'm probably never going to own this game, because I'd spend fifteen minutes screaming at my screen and come away appreciating nothing. This is why LPs are important. We get a window into what the rest of the world is into, and more importantly, why.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Personally I like to use those percentage Health Shrines when I have like 2 or 3 of the Bustling Fungus; I've hit the 99% on one like 5 times before with no luck and still survive just fine waiting a few seconds for the ridiculous HP regeneration they provide.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say I considered the melee characters useless until this video. After seeing it, I booted up the game as the Acrid... and beat it for the first time.
Guess what I'm saying is great LP.

edit: Probably shouldn't need to spoiler that, seeing as we already unlocked him, but better to be on the safe side.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 27, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So the short answer to 'how do I play as HAN-D' is to play him like a classic Castlevania character?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cador_2004 posted:

Personally I like to use those percentage Health Shrines when I have like 2 or 3 of the Bustling Fungus; I've hit the 99% on one like 5 times before with no luck and still survive just fine waiting a few seconds for the ridiculous HP regeneration they provide.

Yeah, the big HP shrines (and the lesser ones) are worth doing as anyone if you got a couple Bustling Funguses or other good source of healing like a bunch of healing drones. Two Wicked Rings? Yes, please.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta say I considered the melee characters useless until this video. After seeing it, I booted up the game as the Acrid... and beat it for the first time.
Guess what I'm saying is great LP.

edit: Probably shouldn't need to spoiler that, seeing as we already unlocked him, but better to be on the safe side.

Melee classes are the most fun, imo. Aside from Sniper, they're the ones that require the most effort to play since you're in mobs of enemies most of the time.

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
Soooo guuuuys, I got a neat thingy planned and have something to ask y'all.

If you could ask Chris Christodoulou (RoR's ST composer) something, what would it be? Send me a PM, skype message, post in the thread, whatever. :3

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Ask him what the hell happened in this run:

Run 6: Um wait you're stuck in lava

If my extreme incompetence at all things enforcer related bothers you just watch the last level of this run (it starts around 21 and a half minutes), I promise you'll enjoy it

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

If you could ask Chris Christodoulou (RoR's ST composer) something, what would it be? Send me a PM, skype message, post in the thread, whatever. :3

Probably a pretty commong question but:

"What was your inspiration for the soundtrack of Risk of Rain?"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

"Which track of the RoR ST do you like/liked making the most and why"

Yoake
Sep 13, 2011

I've been looking at getting into Risk of Rain for a little while now, admittedly I was vaguely perturbed by how CPU-intensive it was reported to be but I picked it up regardless. Anyway, I just caught up with the thread so I made a hastily-drawn art:

Looking forward to more great content.

Yoake fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 28, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

awwwwwwwww poo poo man.
That is amazing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Are you a fan of John Carpenter? His soundtrack draws a lot from his minimalist style.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yoake posted:

I've been looking at getting into Risk of Rain for a little while now, admittedly I was vaguely perturbed by how CPU-intensive it was reported to be but I picked it up regardless. Anyway, I just caught up with the thread so I made a hastily-drawn art:

Holy poo poo that's awsome

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There are the artists that spend lots of effort, scream their work is garbage, and throw it out never to see the light of day.

Then there are artists who say "Oh here are some doodles I threw together", and provide the world something wonderful free of charge.

Thank you for showing us something wonderful, the skull also makes it that much better for this subject :allears:

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Yoake posted:

Well, there's a wallpaper... And a facebook profile pic... And an EVERYTHING IT CAN FIT INTO HOLY gently caress, HOLY gently caress! WOW! Also going in the 2nd OP, because HOLY gently caress.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to poke my head in and say that this LP caused me and four of my friends to have hours of fun today co-opping and getting ourselves brutally murdered.

So, thanks. We've been looking for a proper fun co-op game we could all get behind for ages now, and before I saw this thread I didn't even know RoR had multiplayer.

I also have to say: the enforcer really rocks with the right items.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That picture is amazing :swoon:

On a different note, I love the little details about this game. Right at the very end, after the fadeout on the UES Contact Light's cargohold, you hear something teleport. I'm still trying to unravel all the secrets of the plot myself, and that's just so ominous

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That picture is amazing :swoon:

On a different note, I love the little details about this game. Right at the very end, after the fadeout on the UES Contact Light's cargohold, you hear something teleport. I'm still trying to unravel all the secrets of the plot myself, and that's just so ominous

Providence has a monster log, it's weird, it's real dang weird.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

So where are we supposed to vote?

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

cokerpilot posted:

So where are we supposed to vote?

It's the image in the OP.

ALSO: To anyone that subscribes to me on YT, I had to use my channel as a hub for my band's album so sorry about that one thing popping up from me. Also apologies if anyone goes in there and just sees a bunch of band stuff, there's a playlist of RoR updates in there if you want only them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's not weird since the monster logs are written by the crewmembers.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Here's the order of operations for the Enforcer, for anyone who has trouble:
-Pop a grenade
-activate your shield
-hold Z and the direction away from the enemy
-shield slam to get some room
-pop off more grenades
-hope that clay men don't spawn on top of you when you didn't notice

Really, if you hold back and Z with your shield deployed you should have a much easier time of it, since that keeps melee enemies from just hitting your back (except Clay Men, gently caress those guys)

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Genocyber posted:

It's not weird since the monster logs are written by the crewmembers.

I more meant it's weird almost because of that. I don't want to spoil what's in it cause that's gonna be in like, the very last log video cause it's the last log you're likely to get but the fact that the PC gets those feelings about him. Who is this guy!? AAGGGHH so many questions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I more meant it's weird almost because of that. I don't want to spoil what's in it cause that's gonna be in like, the very last log video cause it's the last log you're likely to get but the fact that the PC gets those feelings about him. Who is this guy!? AAGGGHH so many questions.

Oh, yeah the contents of the log are weird/interesting. I thought you meant that there was a log in the first place.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Sorry I didn't post this yesterday so today you're gonna get 2, and the final two runs, at that

Run drunk: Braaaaaain bounce!
Run urrrrgh: The finisher

We didn't beat the game but we got fairly close, and I was able to actually beat it pretty soon afterwards thanks to all the, um, drunken knowledge I picked up here

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Just found this thread, and I have to scold you all for the hate you've been dropping on Sniper. I've played a poo poo ton of Sniper games, and he's just as viable as any other class (well, he's not as good as the ultimate game-breaking Huntress, but no one else is) once you get enough experience with him. He's a tiny itty bitty dependent on getting some sort of utility item that improves his maneuvering, like the Hoof, Syringe or (especially) Stopwatch, but definitely solid.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
REMOVED

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscreteContinuum
Feb 13, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Just found this thread, and I have to scold you all for the hate you've been dropping on Sniper. I've played a poo poo ton of Sniper games, and he's just as viable as any other class (well, he's not as good as the ultimate game-breaking Huntress, but no one else is) once you get enough experience with him. He's a tiny itty bitty dependent on getting some sort of utility item that improves his maneuvering, like the Hoof, Syringe or (especially) Stopwatch, but definitely solid.

Yeah I was going to mention that too. I had a buddy who played sniper, while I played one of the melee classes to try to get an achievement. Basically my buddy carried us all the way through from about halfway through mines on monsoon because my character was just infuriating to learn.

• Locked thread