Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

My sole hunter is 10 years old and literally half a map away from everyone else in the town. Kid's got some balls.

Is it perhaps a 'she' and does she wear a pin of a mockingbird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One thing I'd like is some kind of indication how efficient my gathering/production buildings are. Like resource per day, or even an arbitraty %.

monsteroftheweek
Oct 9, 2012
Played the game for about an hour (it'd be longer, but I have an early morning to get up for). Sometimes, the villagers just stop, and stand in one place. One of them starved to death standing in a tunnel. Their people-boxes will say that they're working, or going to get food, but they're not. They're just standing.

Has anybody else had this?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

canepazzo posted:

One thing I'd like is some kind of indication how efficient my gathering/production buildings are. Like resource per day, or even an arbitraty %.

That too. For a game that mostly centers around "do you have enough food and firewood," I don't think there's actually a way to check the rate at which you are using/producing food and fuel. It makes the game a lot more guesswork than it should be.

Edit: actually you can access a lot of that information from the Town Hall (yearly production/consumption at any rate) but Town Hall is a pretty expensive and "end-game" building I think.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Played it for like 4 hours or so, I think I have a hundred citizens now maybe? Maybe a bit more. Haven't had a single one die to starvation or freezing yet. :smug:

There was this one time that I was running low on food but maxing out my food production buildings asap helped, plus I actually bought food from a merchant as well.

Firewood is my preferred trading item: I have plenty of it, it fetches a good price, is an infinite resource, and all the merchants seem to accept it.

A disaster would be a disaster though, I think everything I have is way too close together, one tornado could wipe out 3/4 of the town.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

canepazzo posted:

It had that in the preview lets plays, I'm not sure why he took it out for release. Pretty much every food building will produce 3-400 food per season and gatherers are overpowered because they collect that amount of 4 types of food, so essentially they give you 1200 per season.

Farming is surprisingly inefficient. 3 workers will give you maybe 1000 food per year on a big field.

I think the game could use some more industries.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I want to love this game but half of my dudes die of starvation because they can't decide whether they want to chop down that tree or go get a bite to eat, so they run back and forth along a short stretch of usually empty tiles, sometimes they decide that they do in fact prefer food to chopping wood but they almost always die before they get any. I don't know if this is related to my playing the game in 10x almost all of the time though, anyone else had anything similar?

Baronjutter posted:

I was pretty hyped about this but after reading that review I think I'm going to hold off. It sounds like all the confusing resource management and chains of anno, but with none of the feedback so it's a massive pain in the rear end to plan and diagnose. Plus it does look joyless. Where's the reward in making a good town? In anno or tropico for instance you can sit back and really admire the pretty thing you created, Banished doesn't seem to leave any room for artistic design, it's all by the numbers brown shacks.

One of the biggest problems is that there doesn't seem to be a way to finely manage your resources, you'll pool firewood and food into various stockpiles, and then they'll be taken off into various houses but it all ends up a bit lopsided and instead of everyone having a little bit of the resource that is trickling in you tend to get a minority of the houses hoarding a majority of the goods.

The game is pretty good about feedback for someone dying though, every time someone dies you get a notification that pops up to the left of the icons in the bottom right that you can mouse over to see who it was and what their job was, so you're not actually just watching the population counter for changes and then expected to dig through the event log to find out what happened.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

the black husserl posted:

I really think people should read this Rockpapershotgun review because they've actually had a full weekend to play it and early impressions of building games can be misleading: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/banished-review/#more-190327

I've only played it for 4 hours or so, but I've watched a shitload of let's plays so I kinda hit the ground running.

From reading his description, I think his problem is that he has too many people chopping/planting trees and making firewood, and not enough people producing food. 20 people out of 80 in the firewood business? That's just too much.

I can't make out why he feels he needs that much firewood. Perhaps it's not distributed efficiently enough? Or maybe his log/firewood limit is too low: hit the limit easily during summer, but don't have enough stored during winter? Or maybe he expanded too quickly. It could be a ton of things, impossible to say what exactly without looking at his town in detail.

There's a balance and maybe it's hard to find in the beginning, but it's not as impossible as that review says it is.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

It had that in the preview lets plays, I'm not sure why he took it out for release.
That's still there. The icon is pretty obtuse though, so it's easy to miss.

quote:

Pretty much every food building will produce 3-400 food per season and gatherers are overpowered because they collect that amount of 4 types of food, so essentially they give you 1200 per season.

Farming is surprisingly inefficient. 3 workers will give you maybe 1000 food per year on a big field.

I think the game could use some more industries.

Gathering is great early-game, where per-person efficiency matters. Farming is best saved for later, where space-efficiency matters - you can probably fit around 10-12 or so full 15x15 crop fields into the space taken up by the amount of forest needed for a gatherer's hut, and each field will produce roughly as much food as one hut, which matters a lot once your population grows to the hundreds. Worth keeping them around just for the extra food-variety, though (and you'll want those patches of managed forest for log production, so no harm in keeping the gatherers too).

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

lohli posted:

One of the biggest problems is that there doesn't seem to be a way to finely manage your resources, you'll pool firewood and food into various stockpiles, and then they'll be taken off into various houses but it all ends up a bit lopsided and instead of everyone having a little bit of the resource that is trickling in you tend to get a minority of the houses hoarding a majority of the goods.
It's a metaphor for real life.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Is there a way too see where you have designated resources to be picked up? Sometimes my buildings don't get built in a timely fashion because my laborers are too busy picking up resources to clear the site, and I can't seem to find if they're chopping down a last tree or if there's an entire field of iron still to be harvested so I just undesignate the whole map and give them new orders once the buildings are ready.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
having a problem getting the resolution to work correctly. running at 1920x1080 at 50hz and it looks washed out, is there a way to force it to run at 60hz?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Anybody playing this on a laptop? I have a Yoga 2 Pro i7-4500U, 8gb, HD 4400. Wondering how it would run on this.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Whoever it was who was asking about what happens when your mine/quarry are exhausted...

Yeah, you just get a big ol' ugly hole in the ground/tumour on your mountain (that's after the actual buildings have been demolished).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm eleven years into a round and I'm starting to lose off villagers to old age. The problem with this is that I haven't had a single new child born since year 2.

I have extra houses and everyone is healthy and happy, am I doing something wrong?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm seriously doing everything I can, but these villagers have a grand feast every night apparently. I'd love this game if it wasn't for managing the food constantly.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the citizens are a little bit selfish about stocking up on supplies at times. I'd just started out in my first village and neared my first winter, thinking that I had a nice bit of food production going on, when suddenly I was shocked to hear "food supplies low". I was more than a little surprised, given that I had like half my total population working round the clock on stocking up on food. The mystery was solved when I got a closer look at this house:

"How am I even going to make it through the week with only this?!" :reject:

Meanwhile at the neighbors':

"I guess I got some taters..." :smith:

Anyway, I really hope that orchards actually pay off after a while. The one I got now needed like three years to even start yielding anything and was only good for like 1/3rd a harvest at that point. It does look kinda pretty though, which as it turns out tends to be my primary motivation in deciding what to build next most of the time.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I just bought this game and didn't know anything about it and I am really terrible at it and it is hilarious.

My first settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: Firewood is kind of a big deal.

My second settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: hm, should probably produce some firewood.

My third settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: Nice wood cutter. Shame you didn't build any houses.

I love it. I hope my next settlement reaches the dizzying heights of year 2.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

CancerStick posted:

Anybody playing this on a laptop? I have a Yoga 2 Pro i7-4500U, 8gb, HD 4400. Wondering how it would run on this.
I'm running it fine on an i5HD4000

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I hope he adds more terrain types other than valleys and mountains. Maybe plains?

Hunting cabins really don't give out much leather and I'm not sure whether to assign more people or build more cabins.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Anyway, I really hope that orchards actually pay off after a while. The one I got now needed like three years to even start yielding anything and was only good for like 1/3rd a harvest at that point. It does look kinda pretty though, which as it turns out tends to be my primary motivation in deciding what to build next most of the time.

Farming early on seems like a bad idea. Unless you've got sufficient food stockpiled already, you're one early frost away from disaster. Better to stick to gathering at first (drop down a Gatherer's Hut + Hunting Cabin + Forester's Lodge a bit away from your main settlement along with a few houses for the guys who work there, and have the foresters only plant trees for a few years, so they get the maximum amount of dense forest as soon as possible), then transition to farming once you're reliably maintaining a stockpile of at least a few thousand food.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm eleven years into a round and I'm starting to lose off villagers to old age. The problem with this is that I haven't had a single new child born since year 2.

I have extra houses and everyone is healthy and happy, am I doing something wrong?

You need the Town Hall for immigration I've found. You have an option in the buildings UI to allow Nomads to live in your community.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Skaw posted:

You need the Town Hall for immigration I've found. You have an option in the buildings UI to allow Nomads to live in your community.

I have a town hall and all it says is there are no nomads requesting citizenship.

On year 13 now and only have 18 citizens, people keep dying and no kids are showing up.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

I have a town hall and all it says is there are no nomads requesting citizenship.

On year 13 now and only have 18 citizens, people keep dying and no kids are showing up.

This game should start with an intro similar to that indie zombie game.
"This is the story of how your town died.."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Did you build the extra houses only recently? I've found the best way to increase your population naturally is having young couples move into their own homes ASAP. I don't think they have children if they are still living with mom and dad.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Did you build the extra houses only recently? I've found the best way to increase your population naturally is having young couples move into their own homes ASAP. I don't think they have children if they are still living with mom and dad.

I built them a few years ago, but this may very well be the problem. I started off with five houses and left it at that for a while because I couldn't get enough stone to do anything for a long time. :v:

Time to start a new playthrough, it'll go better this time I think. Won't try to start farming early, that's for sure.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Mu. posted:

I just bought this game and didn't know anything about it and I am really terrible at it and it is hilarious.

My first settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: Firewood is kind of a big deal.

My second settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: hm, should probably produce some firewood.

My third settlement: Everybody froze to death in the Winter of year 1.
Lesson learned: Nice wood cutter. Shame you didn't build any houses.

I love it. I hope my next settlement reaches the dizzying heights of year 2.

I was in this boat too. But I've gradually gotten my poo poo straightened out to the point where I started with these settings and now I'm here: http://puu.sh/71v5D.png

It's not much, but it's much better than I had been doing. My only real advice would be to avoid building fishing docks, gatherer's huts outclass them by so much that it's not even funny, I don't know if having educated fishermen might make fishing docks useful(or how being educated affects productivity in any other case), but they produce so little food that a fully manned fishing dock could only just support the starting families.

I built them a few years ago, but this may very well be the problem. I started off with five houses and left it at that for a while because I couldn't get enough stone to do anything for a long time. :v:

Time to start a new playthrough, it'll go better this time I think. Won't try to start farming early, that's for sure.

I recommend doing a lot of your housing in advance, drop a dozen houses and then pause construction on them all, and unpause one when the rest have a couple in them.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Is there a general build order or beginning strategy people use? Games like these that make a lot of use of planned space tend to confuse me.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I haven't had issues with starvation or freezing yet, though I watched a ton of the game before release. Not to be patronizing, but from the mistakes I saw in early LPs, try and make things as compact as possible early on. Expand slowly outward, keep those trips short to avoid the death march.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thompsons posted:

Is there a general build order or beginning strategy people use? Games like these that make a lot of use of planned space tend to confuse me.

I'm no expert (only watched one LP video before playing) but it seems to me that surviving the first winter is first major obstacle. To survive you need a couple things:

-Enough Food
-At least one house so people can warm up
-Enough firewood to actually warm the house

So I would say the first 4 buildings you should try to build are: Gatherer's Hut, Forester, Woodcutter and a Wood house. I think after that it's pretty open ended based on your priorities.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

lohli posted:

It's not much, but it's much better than I had been doing. My only real advice would be to avoid building fishing docks, gatherer's huts outclass them by so much that it's not even funny, I don't know if having educated fishermen might make fishing docks useful(or how being educated affects productivity in any other case), but they produce so little food that a fully manned fishing dock could only just support the starting families.

Holy poo poo this one completely turned my game. Thank you!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Yes, gatherers are more efficient and hunters produce leather, but they also require huge amounts of land and really need to be supported by a forester to get everything you can out of them. Fishing is the very last food production you want to prioritize, but you can have them snaking along the rivers, the brooks, the lakes, everywhere. For their size, they far outclass everything else. They'll even beat out a field of the same size.

Pellisworth posted:

That too. For a game that mostly centers around "do you have enough food and firewood," I don't think there's actually a way to check the rate at which you are using/producing food and fuel. It makes the game a lot more guesswork than it should be.

Edit: actually you can access a lot of that information from the Town Hall (yearly production/consumption at any rate) but Town Hall is a pretty expensive and "end-game" building I think.
I don't think so. Town Hall is more secondary tier, once you've gotten your first self-sufficient community off the ground and need more info on where specifically you need to expand before everybody dies off. Being able to see the rate at which your resources are growing is essential, especially if you want to start exporting goods (which you'll really need to do pretty soon to keep up with food and leather production).

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I haven't had issues with starvation or freezing yet, though I watched a ton of the game before release. Not to be patronizing, but from the mistakes I saw in early LPs, try and make things as compact as possible early on. Expand slowly outward, keep those trips short to avoid the death march.
Quill's little periphery forest villages built around forester's lodges are pretty essential. Be warned not to encroach on them, though, since forester's will cut down trees in your orchards.

Darkrenown posted:

Is there a way too see where you have designated resources to be picked up? Sometimes my buildings don't get built in a timely fashion because my laborers are too busy picking up resources to clear the site, and I can't seem to find if they're chopping down a last tree or if there's an entire field of iron still to be harvested so I just undesignate the whole map and give them new orders once the buildings are ready.
Priorities are whack right now, I expect them to change after the initial wave of critical bugfixing. Increase priority whenever you really need a building done. Just letting it sit is for stuff that can wait for a year or two.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 19, 2014

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

the black husserl posted:

I really think people should read this Rockpapershotgun review because they've actually had a full weekend to play it and early impressions of building games can be misleading: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/18/banished-review/#more-190327

From what I gathered, this guy put all his effort into collecting resources and none towards distributing it. I didn't see one mention of market or see one I the screen shots.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yeah if anybody's having real trouble watch Quill, I think in video 5 or 6 of his series he starts a new town that's really good. Or start from 1 if you want to see him fail.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
On the fence about this, was well up for it but seeing some talk of shallow gameplay has put me off. Replayability is top of my list when deciding to buy or not.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Another couple assorted tips/advice:

Don't designate builders until all the materials for a building are in place and it's ready to actually be built, otherwise you're just wasting labor. Everyone nearby will immediately clear the foundation, harvesters will dump off wood/stone/iron all on their own. There's an obvious visual cue when you have all the resources in place, the foundation will appear and then you should assign builders to finish it up.

The loose stone and iron deposits on the surface of the map are easy, quick resources. Once you deplete all those non-renewables, a mine or quarry is MUCH slower, requires a lot of labor, and is a fairly expensive investment. Once you get your food/housing/lumber sources secured, plan to get a mine and quarry up fairly soon. You REALLY don't want to start running out of tools and have no loose iron around to grab easily.

Edit:

Deketh posted:

On the fence about this, was well up for it but seeing some talk of shallow gameplay has put me off. Replayability is top of my list when deciding to buy or not.

Yeah, maybe wait for it to go on sale and keep an eye on how the modding community develops. I think it's an okay game and not the worst use of $20, I'll probably get 10-20 hours out of the base game. But, there's not really any substantive difference in gameplay between sessions. You do the same thing with a slightly different map and higher difficulty, there aren't scenarios or any real progression. I like the simulation and I think there's a lot of potential for this to be a great game in a few months once we get some updates, DLC, and mods.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 19, 2014

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Deketh posted:

The individual parts of the system are pretty bare and will be until modding is opened up, but things can and will spiral out of control quickly since everything is interdependent. Some of this information can be gleaned from the town hall statistics, others, like your entire town dying off because the next generation wasn't able to move out and start their own families, is not. So while there's not a lot of content, I think the people complaining about shallowness are making things a bit easy for themselves. Harsh climate, mountainous terrain, and Hard difficulty (which is non-optional, really, since everything else is trivially easy) are pretty treacherous. If you roll a lovely mountainous map then you can rule out Gatherer Bombing altogether since they won't have enough land to support very many people.

On another note, do we have any specific numbers on how much food somebody eats in a year? If you go a year without a radical population change, grab your food usage from your Town Hall and divide it by population. With larger populations an increase or decrease of one or two won't throw the numbers very much.

Pellisworth posted:

The loose stone and iron deposits on the surface of the map are easy, quick resources. Once you deplete all those non-renewables, a mine or quarry is MUCH slower, requires a lot of labor, and is a fairly expensive investment. Once you get your food/housing/lumber sources secured, plan to get a mine and quarry up fairly soon. You REALLY don't want to start running out of tools and have no loose iron around to grab easily.
I've found that you should get a coal mine and second blacksmith up fairly quickly, like around ~50 people, because these fuckers will burn through iron tools way faster than you can produce them.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Deketh posted:

I think it's too early to dismiss it for being shallow, but I'd recommend waiting for an update or two to come out as well as just waiting to see what people have to say about the game when everyone has had a chance to familiarize themselves with it. This early on, especially, is when you're going to see the most conflicting information about the game as people are still really only getting first impressions.

Also I think having your villagers educated gives a massive bonus, I had a food shortage warning one season followed by having 1.2k food in storage the following season after my school finally managed to start popping some kids out. I've been able to cut my gatherers by half and have it remain stable at 1k food.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Holy poo poo are tornados a punishment or something? One just came through and hit every single building and killed everyone except for a laborer who was dicking off on the far side of a hill for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Plek posted:

Holy poo poo are tornados a punishment or something? One just came through and hit every single building and killed everyone except for a laborer who was dicking off on the far side of a hill for some reason.
Spread that poo poo out! Even if a tornado rips up your central town, you should still have some forester/gatherer/hunter/herbalist villages on your periphery that can keep the fire alive.

• Locked thread