Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slackerish posted:

Has anyone here read A Naked Singularity? I've heard good things but I read the first 20 or so pages and it felt like DeLillo pastiche and I'm not a huge DeLillo fan in the first place.

A co-worker of mine whose opinion I respect handed it to me to read last week and I have it sitting on my desk right now, but I haven't cracked it open yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Rad. I have really been enjoying his short stories. I have read Three Drops of Blood 3 times trying to get a sense of what is actually going on. It seems like the narrator is in the insane asylum for murdering someone in a fit of jealousy - maybe his friend Siyavosh and pssibly for sleeping with his fiance? - but obviously the whole thing is non-linear and told by an insane dude, so you're probably not supposed to "solve" it. In either case it is loving haunting and compelling. I am going to read The Tibetan Book of the Dead in preparation for The Blind Owl soon, since I would like to read something longer form from him.

Yeah, your going to love The Blind Owl then. Honestly a passing familiarity with the TBD will make understanding what's happening in the story so much easier but since you are set on reading it you will probably pick up on one or two things that I didn't the first time around.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Honestly, TDB is something I have been interested in for awhile based on it being referenced in/influence on other stuff. This just gives me an excuse to move it out of "I'll read it eventually" land.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Slackerish posted:

Has anyone here read A Naked Singularity? I've heard good things but I read the first 20 or so pages and it felt like DeLillo pastiche and I'm not a huge DeLillo fan in the first place.
It takes a while for it to get going, and even when it does, some of the passages are still a bit of a slog to get through. But there is a lot of amazing writing in there, especially the bits about boxing, physics and multiverse theory. There is a robbery/heist scene that is pretty incredible. I'd recommend it but I will say this about the ending: it felt out of place, almost a cop-out, and I wish it had ended differently, but I can't say it ruined the book as a whole, or even anything close to that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A slew of books by Italo Calvino are on sale today for the kindle daily deal. Unfortunately not If on a Winter's Night a Traveler..., but Invisible Cities is good and he is a great writer in general.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Guy A. Person posted:

A slew of books by Italo Calvino are on sale today for the kindle daily deal. Unfortunately not If on a Winter's Night a Traveler..., but Invisible Cities is good and he is a great writer in general.

Thank you for pointing this out.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Guy A. Person posted:

Italian Folktales is awesome and weird as heck. It's also pretty huge.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

Italian Folktales is awesome and weird as heck. It's also pretty huge.

Nice. I ended up just buying them all (except Cities which I have a physical copy of).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading Heart of Darkness and the first half or so was really bad and dull but then they got attacked(?) in a boat and the narrator went insane and is lamenting the loss of his black cannibal engine man and complaining about hippo meat and it's good now I would recommend it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading Heart of Darkness and the first half or so was really bad and dull but then they got attacked(?) in a boat and the narrator went insane and is lamenting the loss of his black cannibal engine man and complaining about hippo meat and it's good now I would recommend it.

Oh wow, I actually tried reading this book just last week, but stopped after part one because I couldn't enjoy it. I've always had problems with prose from old books (old = before the world war 1 I guess) so I thought that must be the reason why I dsliked it despite it getting so many great reviews, but maybe I just didn't read far enough before quitting. I'm not entirely convinced to continue reading based on what you wrote though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Everyone should give Conrad a chance and a half, especially with other books than HoD. No disrespect for Heart, it's fantastic, with a couple of perfect moments in there, but it's not his best work (The Secret Agent).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Oh wow, I actually tried reading this book just last week, but stopped after part one because I couldn't enjoy it. I've always had problems with prose from old books (old = before the world war 1 I guess) so I thought that must be the reason why I dsliked it despite it getting so many great reviews, but maybe I just didn't read far enough before quitting. I'm not entirely convinced to continue reading based on what you wrote though.

PArt 1 really overdoes the flowery language for sure but Part 2 has him getting way more obsessed with the idea of Mr. Kurtz and the more obsessed he gets the better the book gets and the less he uses words I have seen before but don't actually know the meaning of. Just keep going with it since you've read basically half already.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. Squishy posted:

Everyone should give Conrad a chance and a half, especially with other books than HoD. No disrespect for Heart, it's fantastic, with a couple of perfect moments in there, but it's not his best work (The Secret Agent).

The Secret Agent is really, really good, and it's got a lot of action and suspense for dudes who can't handle slow-paced talking on a raft for 90 pages.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and I am not sure what to make of the end. Why does the boy suddenly end up with other people? It somehow feels out of place with the rest of the book for me and with the whole tone that was set throughout I expected a much different ending. Did I miss something or does it just not fit well?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and I am not sure what to make of the end. Why does the boy suddenly end up with other people? It somehow feels out of place with the rest of the book for me and with the whole tone that was set throughout I expected a much different ending. Did I miss something or does it just not fit well?

It's been a while but, but my recollection is that The Man is dying throughout the whole book, just like the world is dying. The Man is trying to figure out what do to with his son. I was expecting the Man to die at the end and The Boy to meet a grisly end. The fact that CM left it up in the air was a pretty big relief to me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Man was also way more cynical while the Boy is more trusting and hopeful. The Man is basically just trying to survive, but that is not enough to actually "carry the fire" into the future, you have to trust in other people and be hopeful for better days. So the ending was not a cop-out, it was a fulfillment of the Boy's arc.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I didn't like the end of The Road either. I totally understand why it ended the way it did but to have some (Mormons? Some reason I think they were Mormons) family following them the whole time and just take the kid was really kind of a cop out.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

PArt 1 really overdoes the flowery language for sure but Part 2 has him getting way more obsessed with the idea of Mr. Kurtz and the more obsessed he gets the better the book gets and the less he uses words I have seen before but don't actually know the meaning of. Just keep going with it since you've read basically half already.

Yeah it definitely gets better after that for sure. The books really starts as soon as the main character;s obsession starts. It its really the opposite of Moby Dick. Heart of Darkness becomes more narrow and targeted as the main character becomes obsessed wheras Mobey Dick has Ahab waxing endlessly upon whaling.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
edit: never mind.
I was trolling about irrelevant poo poo in moby dick, which isn't really a necessary point to make.

rasser fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2014

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now
Oh man, I love Heart of Darkness. The prose is so layered and the atmosphere so intriguing. It kind of makes me sad because most of the people I know hate it.

I am currently reading Silence Once Begun by Jesse Ball. If you thought House of Leaves's schtick was interesting but just not necessary/not worth slogging through the bullshit, then this is the book for you. It's like every couple of pages there's some new development/narrative device that leaves me just mouth to the floor. Fuckin' great book.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I loved Ball's The Way Through Doors. I know a lot of books get described as "dreamlike," but Doors really nails the feel of dream logic.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Declan MacManus posted:

The Secret Agent is really, really good, and it's got a lot of action and suspense for dudes who can't handle slow-paced talking on a raft for 90 pages.

The Secret Agent is awesome because almost every character is a caricature, but the psychology is so nuanced they're all weirdly believable as actual people. Most of the book is dead-on black humor stemming from the disconnect between their internal logic and the actions they take, although it gets progressively more and more serious on a domestic level. The portion towards the end describing Winnie's thoughts before she acts out, only spanning what must be a couple of minutes in real time but stretched out considerably on the page, is so intense I broke out in a cold sweat reading it the first time through. Also, the fact that Kazynski apparently idolized the professor is hilarious as he's easily the most pathetic character in the book. If you approach it as a spy novel though, you'll probably be disappointed.

Conrad is fantastic but you really have to push through his detailed descriptions of characters, his slow plot buildups, and accept some of his stylistic quirks before you get to the core of his stories and what makes him such an idiosyncratic writer. Heart of Darkness really benefits from rereading (along with most of his other stuff) as the structure and intent isn't always immediately obvious. Reading "King Leopold's Ghost" also helped put it in the historical context of the Congolese genocide. I've had to read it twice in an academic context and the historicity was completely glossed over in favor of analysis on a purely literary level, which is really a rote case of missing the forest for the trees.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that reading Conrad can be extremely laborious, but it's totally worth the investment.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Where the hell are people actually finding Three Drops of Blood? I wanted to read it after hearing about it, but even on Amazon used copies are $100 and new are like $400. Is there a source for it that isn't outrageous? (Also how the gently caress is a book published in 2009 that expensive?)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Where the hell are people actually finding Three Drops of Blood? I wanted to read it after hearing about it, but even on Amazon used copies are $100 and new are like $400. Is there a source for it that isn't outrageous? (Also how the gently caress is a book published in 2009 that expensive?)

Wow. That's amazing because last time I checked it was $25 but you had to wait like two weeks. Here's a link to a bunch of stories that Dr. Iraj Bashari translated and provides on his website: http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bashiri/BdOwl/Sadeq.html

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 5, 2014

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Amazing, thank you!

I'm genuinely kind of curious what the size of that print run must have been. To see that kind of price tag on a relatively recent fiction publication is nuts. That's the kind of price I'd expect for like an essential reference material that had one print run in 1945 or something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

talktapes posted:

I've had to read it twice in an academic context and the historicity was completely glossed over in favor of analysis on a purely literary level, which is really a rote case of missing the forest for the trees.

That's insane. You would think they'd at least mention that there were legal worries over the book because of the NDA the company made their workers sign.
I'm currently reading Nostromo and it's the most Conrad Conrad I've ever read. The first section tries to convey 50 years of history in a small town, and action scenes will break off for paragraphs describing day-to-day life. It's very disorienting.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

talktapes posted:

I've had to read it twice in an academic context and the historicity was completely glossed over in favor of analysis on a purely literary level, which is really a rote case of missing the forest for the trees.

I think in academics you tend to compress a lot of things into a tight schedule and historicity tends to get paved over unless it's some brief context. If you have eight books to get through over 15 weeks then you can't really dick around with even really interesting history.

Except Moby Dick. Moby Dick always gets the red carpet rolled out.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It depends on the scope of the class. My uncle teaches English, and when he teaches Victorian novels he gets plenty of time to show how hosed up and strange a lot of the Victorians were.

Except George Eliot. She knew what the score was.

(I may have just finished Middlemarch. What a great book.)

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Slackerish posted:

that's true, the other part I found pretty difficult was the scene where recktall brown dies. It took me like four months to read the book and I didn't realize how many characters they recalled from France until I looked over the annotations

Also, I've heard that JR gets easier because the fact that it's 95% dialogue makes it easier to pick up on characters' quirks in how they talk, while Recognitions seemed to split it's narrative between large chunks of prose and large chunks of dialogue, so it was harder to pick up on.

I'm reading JR right now and it is definitely easier to understand and digest in relation to The Recognitions. Same basic style, that of dozens of characters slowly revolving closer and closer to that of the central character/premise. As for the dialogue, it is virtually non-stop and is done in a really cool way. The focus shifts from person to person, but only when there is contact and conversation already going on, so the thread is unbroken and constantly meanders around. You only get one side of phone conversations though, which takes some getting used to. JR the character is also hilarious and awesome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dreylad posted:

It depends on the scope of the class. My uncle teaches English, and when he teaches Victorian novels he gets plenty of time to show how hosed up and strange a lot of the Victorians were.

Except George Eliot. She knew what the score was.

I saw a movie about George Eliot wherein she rode a horse into a dude's office and had the horse take a dump on his desk.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I am trying to expand my reading habits and one of those ways is trying to read more lit from other cultures/countries. I have Europe covered pretty well, as well as Russia, Japan and a little from China (Mo Yan mostly). Looking for any recommendations from South America (I got Marquez and Bolano covered), Australia, India, the rest of East Asia, the Middle East, ummmm, anywhere else you guys recommend.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am trying to expand my reading habits and one of those ways is trying to read more lit from other cultures/countries. I have Europe covered pretty well, as well as Russia, Japan and a little from China (Mo Yan mostly). Looking for any recommendations from South America (I got Marquez and Bolano covered), Australia, India, the rest of East Asia, the Middle East, ummmm, anywhere else you guys recommend.

Borges' short stories of course from Argentina

Season of Migration to the North by Talib Salih from Sudan

The Day the Leader was Killed and Wedding Song by Naguib Mahfouz from Egypt

The Pickup by Nadine Gordimer from South Africa

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy from India

Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh from India

Shame by Salman Rushdie from India

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 20, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is a good Nigerian novel. I haven't read the rest of his Africa trilogy, but they're supposed to be pretty good as well. I've also heard good things about the authors Ngugi wa Thiong'o and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy A. Person posted:

The Collected Fiction Of Jorge Luis Borges is a good place to start for South America.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Obscene Bird Of Thy Night by José Donoso. It was the best thing I read last year.

Carlos Fuentes is really good, and Terra Nostra is a really good read in my opinion.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Fictions is the best Borges and everyone agrees it but you should also read the other stuff and also all his essays because they are so good http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I just bought some hair removal creme for my balls but amazon wouldn't give me free delivery unless the order was over £10 so I bought Mason & Dixon too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Snow by Orhan Pamuk, from Turkey

Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M. Coetzee, from South Africa

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Here's the list of recommendations one blogger got when she set out to read a book from every nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Europe is a lot of cultures. Which have you covered/would you like covered?

• Locked thread