Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Poutling posted:

A little late to the party but you might want to try Janet Turner Hospital from Queensland for your Australia fix, I read Oyster and really enjoyed it. David Malouf is another Australian writer that's gotten a lot of praise, I read An Imaginary Life many years ago and liked it (in fact it may be time for a reread). I'd add Mario Vargas Llosa (Peruvian) to your South American list.

Aw heck yes, books. I will add these to the list.

I have been sorting through the recommendations I already got and I need to go to the library for some inter-library loan action but I have been lazy and spoiled by the convenience of my Kindle. I did read Things Fall Apart which was awesome and I just got The God of Small Things and also Hunger since it was free and will read both of those shortly.

I also just read The Good Earth by Peal S. Buck which was about a Chinese farmer mostly chilling and working the land which is what he understands best but then he gets tripped up by dealing with other people and events but always eventually finds his way back to the land which always provides for him. There are apparently some follow up novels about his kids presumably loving everything up but I kind of liked just following that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Man Saloon
May 28, 2006
Has anybody here read The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa? It has been intriguing me recently but there seems to be a lot of debate over which English edition is best.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I read the penguin classics edition with the second Richard Zenith translation and enjoyed it immensely. I can't really comment on comparative quality because I haven't read the other translations, but it struck me as being relatively solid.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The important thing to remember about reading The Name of the Rose is that Eco front-loads a lot of his crazy description as a test to his reader. If you read in a little ways you'll get to an epic-length description of the monastery doorway. In his postscript Eco talks about how he made that doorway description deliberately intimidating to scare away readers who weren't going to be able to handle the rest of the book. It's a test -- if you get through it, whether by skipping ahead or reading straight through, you can probably handle the rest of the novel, even if you just do it by skipping over all the hard parts and reading for story.

What? I really enjoyed the description of the monastery door! I can't understand a mind-set that would find that intimidating.

Honestly, the Name of the Rose is a pretty easy book, relatively.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

CountFosco posted:

What? I really enjoyed the description of the monastery door! I can't understand a mind-set that would find that intimidating.

I didn't have problems with "Name of the Rose" but I confess it took me two tries before I got past the first couple of pages of "Foucault's Pendulum."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CountFosco posted:

Honestly, the Name of the Rose is a pretty easy book, relatively.

The monastery door isn't meant as a bar to Umberto Eco readers; it's meant as a bar to Dan Brown readers. I did skip it the first time I read the book, but then again, I was like twelve.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Have anyone else read the Patrick Melrose saga by Edward St. Aubyn? I just finished the fifth and final book and found them awesome.

The largely autobiographical series starts out in "Never Mind" with the five year old Patrick Melrose adjusting to his psychopathic father and his absent mother. Halfway through the book, Patric is raped by his father and the later books are largely about how he deals with this childhood, trying to come to terms with it and stop the vicious cycle from destroying his two sons as well.

They are very witty and very viscous in describing the people, most of whom are caricatures.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dead Man Saloon posted:

Has anybody here read The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa? It has been intriguing me recently but there seems to be a lot of debate over which English edition is best.

I read this one. Well, part of it anyway. I don't know what made me keep putting it down, but I would read a few pages of it, set it down, stare at it for a few days, pick it up again, make a little progress and repeat the process. The writing is beautiful, and I think the translation is pretty good (take this with a grain of salt because I really have no basis for this other than that it "feels" that way.) I think maybe the intense introspectiveness of it hit home a little too hard for me, because throughout there's a simultaneous and strange feeling of both utter despair and uplifting appreciation of life's beauty. While I read it I wanted the author to break away from the mundane life he lived and go experience the other parts of the world outside of his state, but I'm not sure if he ever actually does it. It's hard to detect a specific tone to the writing without feeling like you're projecting yourself onto it. It's a mysterious read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy from India

I just wanted to come back here to post that this was a pro as hell recommendation. I finished reading it last week and it was brilliant, possibly my favorite book of the year.

I also read Master and Margarita last month which was awesome. It was lent to me by my friend's Russian girlfriend so she was explaining to me about various things I picked up on but didn't fully understand the context of like housing disputes and foreign currency bans, etc.

Otherwise I have been catching up on a lot of non-fic, but I want to continue reading some of the "world tour" recommendations I got in the coming months.

• Locked thread