Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I have said this before but all my favorite authors commit suicide. Sadegh Hedayat, Osamu Dazai and Yukio Mishima (I'm counting his as a suicide. There is zero chance that he thought that he would actually succeed and was not just a way for an "honerable" way to die.).

I'm rereading The Blind Owl again because it is still one of my favorite books. its really good and I compared it to Enter The Void before and its a really good way to look at the two pieces of work that are in different mediums. Also I have The Plague by Camus that I'm about to get into because somehow I managed to never read it.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

Have you read The Decay of the Angel? If so, do you buy into the idea that it's Mishima refuting his own legacy?

It has been a long time, but I really did not remember that being the case at all. Instead I thought he was embracing it. I have not heard of anyone saying anything like that. Do you remember what reasons people have for thinking that?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

From hazily remembered lit crit and double-checking on Wikipedia, Tōru and Honda are supposed to be self-portraits, the ending was written after Mishima plans on seppuku, and Honda implying that if Kiyoaki never existed, then maybe he never existed. It could be people overreaching with pop psychology or their could be some teeth to it. I'm on the fence.

Ok, yeah I could see that totally. I would have to reread it again to really form an opinion one way or another now.

Hey Earwicker, you ever finish you british huffy historian talking about Russia book? How did it turn out?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The Great Gatsby is all about the American experience. That's what the book is about (well filtered through Fitzgerald's view) so it can not be anything other than really loving American. What specifically through you off of it so badly?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What? If you don't like it, you don't like it. I was affirming that it was a super American book. It is all about the American dream and how the basic ideas within of success and wealth (which are concepts that are tied together and can hardly be pulled apart from one another in the american dream) really do not bring you what you really want/happiness. and felt that it was a shame that you are going to miss out on it. I asked because I wanted to know if there was anything that I could explain or convince otherwise so that you might see it in a different light from which you would be able to read it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its cool. Plus please make an effort post about Derek Walcott for real in the poetry thread and tell me what I am missing. Not sarcastic about this cause it would be cool if I find out I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective or something. And even if I still leave with the same views as before its worth the discussion.

Also I have an almost unreasonable hate for Robert Frost. See every post I have ever made about him.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Catcher in the Rye was something I read at twenty and I thought it was well written. Did Holden resonate with me? No, but I remembered how it was to be fourteen and totally understood where he was coming from. Also I totally understood he was a self centered idiot who thought he knew everything just like I did at fourteen. Salinger encapsulated what it was like to be a boy at that age so well its pretty amazing.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 21, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

This is probably a dumb parallel worthy of scorn (hi PHIZ) but the way people feel about Catcher in the Rye reminds me of the way people feel about Weezer. It's something with strong emotional resonance that you can look back and be embarrassed about relating to so strongly. It's amazing that he so thoroughly encapsulates what it's like to be a teenage boy (I'm told the Bell Jar also does a pretty good job of approximating what it's like to be a jaded female college student but having never been one myself I can't say) but tapping into that sort of feeling means that it's difficult to transcend the subject matter. That's a good thing in some ways and bad in others.

Quoting so I can put it in the scoff thread later

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

You should paste the OP from your Sadegh Hedayat thread in here so it doesn't go to waste and also because I want to discuss the short stories I have been reading. For example, Three Drops of Blood, pretty crazy right?

ok

Stravinsky posted:

Lets talk about the greatest Iranian writer of all time, Sadegh Hedayat.

Born into a Iranian aristocratic family in Tehran, he went to Paris to study architecture before dropping that in favor of dentistry. He would then proceed to drop dentistry in favor of taking an interest in seeing how much water from a river he could fill his lungs with. After his failure to even do that he went back home and dedicated himself to literature. While translating Kafka and Chekhov as well as middle Persian works into Farsi he wrote stories of beating women, repetitive imagery and events, cat sex, madness, and loss. He is most well known for The Blind Owl which shares some themes with Enter the Void and supposedly drove people to commit suicide. Which he himself did in Paris. At least he was kind enough to pay for his own funeral.

List of fiction:
1930 Buried Alive
1931 Mongol Shadow
1932 Three Drops of Blood
1933 Chiaroscuro
1934 Mister Bow Wow (Real title did not make it up)
1936 Sampingé
1936 Lunatique
1937 The Blind Owl
1942 The Stray Dog
1943 Mistress Alaviyeh
1944 Velengārī
1944 The Elixir of Life
1945 The Pilgrim
1946 Tomorrow
1947 The Pearl Cannon
Parvin, Sassan's Daughter
Māzīyār
The Fable of Creation

He has also written a travelogue and a bunch criticisms and studies (The Advantages of Vegetarianism). So please read Hedayat and see why he is banned in Iran and hated by Muslims in France.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Rad. I have really been enjoying his short stories. I have read Three Drops of Blood 3 times trying to get a sense of what is actually going on. It seems like the narrator is in the insane asylum for murdering someone in a fit of jealousy - maybe his friend Siyavosh and pssibly for sleeping with his fiance? - but obviously the whole thing is non-linear and told by an insane dude, so you're probably not supposed to "solve" it. In either case it is loving haunting and compelling. I am going to read The Tibetan Book of the Dead in preparation for The Blind Owl soon, since I would like to read something longer form from him.

Yeah, your going to love The Blind Owl then. Honestly a passing familiarity with the TBD will make understanding what's happening in the story so much easier but since you are set on reading it you will probably pick up on one or two things that I didn't the first time around.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I didn't like the end of The Road either. I totally understand why it ended the way it did but to have some (Mormons? Some reason I think they were Mormons) family following them the whole time and just take the kid was really kind of a cop out.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

PArt 1 really overdoes the flowery language for sure but Part 2 has him getting way more obsessed with the idea of Mr. Kurtz and the more obsessed he gets the better the book gets and the less he uses words I have seen before but don't actually know the meaning of. Just keep going with it since you've read basically half already.

Yeah it definitely gets better after that for sure. The books really starts as soon as the main character;s obsession starts. It its really the opposite of Moby Dick. Heart of Darkness becomes more narrow and targeted as the main character becomes obsessed wheras Mobey Dick has Ahab waxing endlessly upon whaling.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Where the hell are people actually finding Three Drops of Blood? I wanted to read it after hearing about it, but even on Amazon used copies are $100 and new are like $400. Is there a source for it that isn't outrageous? (Also how the gently caress is a book published in 2009 that expensive?)

Wow. That's amazing because last time I checked it was $25 but you had to wait like two weeks. Here's a link to a bunch of stories that Dr. Iraj Bashari translated and provides on his website: http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bashiri/BdOwl/Sadeq.html

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 5, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am trying to expand my reading habits and one of those ways is trying to read more lit from other cultures/countries. I have Europe covered pretty well, as well as Russia, Japan and a little from China (Mo Yan mostly). Looking for any recommendations from South America (I got Marquez and Bolano covered), Australia, India, the rest of East Asia, the Middle East, ummmm, anywhere else you guys recommend.

Obscene Bird Of Thy Night by José Donoso. It was the best thing I read last year.

Carlos Fuentes is really good, and Terra Nostra is a really good read in my opinion.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

acephalousuniverse posted:

Is anyone into Cesar Aira? He is a weirdo Argentine writer who improvises his novels. Like, he deliberately writes and edits all day, but the next day he won't change anything from yesterday, and deliberately writes himself into a corner as a "challenge" for tomorrow. His books are super manic and surreal, and easy short reads. Basically a cool dude.

I'm gonna put him on my big rear end list of books to buy and then sit in my to read pile for a long time before I get around to it.

Lol, this is the one of the worst serious readings of a book I have ever heard you loving shill. gently caress off. You could not even hack it in the biggest hugbox here that is the lp forum.

I am currently reading The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil and it is really good. It takes place just prior to WW1 in the Austro-Hungarian empire and follows a man who lost his way in life because one day he read that a horse was a genius in the newspaper and concluded that he was without any qualities. In part one A Sort of Introduction he gets a nymphomaniac mistress after being beaten up in the streets, visit a childhood friend he really doesn't care for who has a wife that denies him sex partly because he plays Wagner.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

PatMarshall posted:

gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

1 day probation reason posted:

Low-content / content-less flaming / not funny or informative. Explain why you think the guy should gently caress off. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Since you can not explain since your out for a day I will do it for you. RichardGamingo's post is one that has zero content, in that it says absolutely nothing because its as if he copy pasted sections of some literary reviews of different books. It is low content in that there is no real content besides the two links to the same youtube on both the opening and closing portions of his post. If you follow this link it goes to the sloppiest reading of a book by someone who has zero grasp on what he is reading other than that there are words on a page. If you look at the description there is a referral link to amazon where you can buy the book. You will find that this is his youtube account if you look at the other videos on this channel. Evidence being that he has multiple videos where he has his autism on display because he was laughed out of a subforum where the userbase had rushed to the defense of another lper who was emotionally manipulating a women and other people. I am all for giving people another chance, but this poster decided to pop in and openly shill for a book so that he can get some cash via amazon referrals, I think it is valid to tell that person to gently caress off.

Now that I have written a paragraph in which I explained why the person should gently caress off like this was old gbs, let us look at if this was good thing to do. Really its not. Its long winded and gay. Lets look to Reymond Carver's earlier works to appreciate minimalism and perhaps embrace it. Brevity is the soul of wit after all. Two words like "gently caress off" encompasses everything that needed to be said, especially so if you look at the post he was referring to. So in conclusion, RichardGamingo is a fuckhead who should gently caress off and loving stop probating/banning people for dumb rear end reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I've read Dictionary of the Khazars and you shoudl too.

But what if someone judges me based on the version I bought? poo poo.

• Locked thread