Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ezzum posted:

About halfway through The Face Of Another by Kobo Abe. I want to know how he comes up with these wicked concepts. Seriously, that takes some imagination. Every book I've read by him has just had the coolest ideas behind it and he's quickly turning into one of my favorite writers. More people need to read his poo poo.

I haven't read that one but dang did I really enjoy The Ark Sakura. Abe is good at taking an absurd premise and running with it as if it's the most natural thing in the world, and most of his characters also act that way. Not to mention that book in particular opens up with the perfect metaphor, about a fictional bug that is unable to move but survives by slowly spinning around all day, while eating its own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck the book even opens with a foreword by a fictional editor who doesn't mince words and just straight up calls Humbert a horrible person. Anyone who tries to think otherwise of Humbert is probably projecting.

Srice fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 15, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ezzum posted:

I don't remember that at all. What edition did you read?

Not sure since I borrowed it through my library's ebook lending service, but I don't think there are many ebook versions out there.

Mr. Squishy posted:

My Penguin Books 1980 edition has a forward by John Ray Jr, PHD which announces Humbert's death and calls him, among other things, "not a gentleman." It's three fairly boring pages in the start of the book, I wouldn't beat yourself up for forgetting about them.

Ah yeah that would be it.

• Locked thread