Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rasser
Jul 2, 2003
From sheer memory, I think all editions have that introduction and that Nabokov was the real author behind it. He liked to use other personae to comment on his work, as seen in this article mentioned above by Hieronymous Alloy http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/1999/apr/17/weekend7.weekend2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
edit: never mind.
I was trolling about irrelevant poo poo in moby dick, which isn't really a necessary point to make.

rasser fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2014

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am trying to expand my reading habits and one of those ways is trying to read more lit from other cultures/countries. I have Europe covered pretty well, as well as Russia, Japan and a little from China (Mo Yan mostly). Looking for any recommendations from South America (I got Marquez and Bolano covered), Australia, India, the rest of East Asia, the Middle East, ummmm, anywhere else you guys recommend.

Europe is a lot of cultures. Which have you covered/would you like covered?

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah this is a totally fair point. I generalized Europe as "covered" just because I know I have read stuff from several countries (France, Italy, Spain, England, Poland, Germany) while I definitely have never read a single thing from Australia or India. That's why I thought it was better to start with regions that I had absolutely no experience with first.

I guess you're quite well covered then, although I have to second Hamsun and/or Ibsen. Tons of other good Nordic authors, but I'm not an expert. Obviously, there are stark differences between the countries, decades and authors, but at least you did a sample test.

Edit: Add a Russian or two: Turgenjev, Gogol, Tolstoy, Bulgakov?
Edit 2: Do read some Naipaul (By a bend in the river) and Rushdie (Midnight's Children is a must) if you need some post-colonial lit from Indian authors.

rasser fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 28, 2014

• Locked thread