Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

^This, no question. The Millions as a whole is great, but their (bi-)annual preview lists are exactly what you want. I pick up a lot of leads from The New Yorker's Page-Turner blog, too (look for the "what we're reading" entries), and I do check in on a few small, reliable publishers' release lists from time to time.

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CestMoi posted:

Do you know how the androgynous Kindle edition handles the Male/Female thing? I sort of want to just get one of them to get the "real" experience or whatever but they're expensive and the Kindle edition is cheap.

It's the male version; I don't know why they call it "androgynous". The two versions only differ in one paragraph, though.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

So I am trying to expand my reading habits and one of those ways is trying to read more lit from other cultures/countries. I have Europe covered pretty well, as well as Russia, Japan and a little from China (Mo Yan mostly). Looking for any recommendations from South America (I got Marquez and Bolano covered), Australia, India, the rest of East Asia, the Middle East, ummmm, anywhere else you guys recommend.
Here's the list of recommendations one blogger got when she set out to read a book from every nation.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, being just 'the recommendations she received', it's not going to be an exhaustively-researched or canonical list. (I can't imagine anyone associates Neil Gaiman with The Great American Novel.) It's an interesting resource for some of the smallest and most obscure nations, though.

• Locked thread