Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ray Farmer new Browns GM. Banner steps down as CEO. Lombardi's leaving the team. Press conference @ 11am.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10435830/cleveland-browns-overhaul-front-office-name-ray-farmer-new-gm

Apparently Lombardi is gone now, Banner and the rest are remaining until after the draft, and then are gone, but Farmer takes control now.

Breer just pointed out this article about new GM Farmer reads a lot differently then when it was written last week: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323839/article/ray-farmer-browns-ready-to-redefine-history-books

quote:

Browns assistant general manager Ray Farmer was considered a top candidate for the Miami Dolphins' GM position, but said this week that he "didn't finish the process" for a reason.

:woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why fire them after the coach search and not before.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Everything we said about the Browns yesterday was right. :negative:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why fire them after the coach search and not before.

Why does a dog chase its own tail? Why do fools fall in love? Why did David Bowie wait 30 years to release another good album?

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I can't wait for the full story here to leak. I bet it's gonna be epically petty.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

Browns assistant general manager Ray Farmer was considered a top candidate for the Miami Dolphins' GM position, but said this week that he "didn't finish the process" for a reason.

It's getting pretty exhausting going back and forth between lol Browns and lol Dolphins constantly

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Declan MacManus posted:

Why does a dog chase its own tail? Why do fools fall in love? Why did David Bowie wait 30 years to release another good album?

You had me until Bowie.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I almost posted a doge meme, because this is so brownsy.

I just don't get what changed in Haslam's mind.

Why let them fire Chud and choose next coaches and THEN fire them. What changed? What the gently caress? I'm still in shock.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Holy poo poo

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I mean that in a good way.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

who is actually going to be in charge of all the pre draft/free agency scouting at this point? who has actual decision making ability? why is banner not out right now instead of 3 months from now?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
@WillBurge 8m
#Browns source told said org had a meeting in morn. Haslam walked in, announced Banner & Lombardi were gone & walked back out. Dead silence

Haha

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

What the gently caress....

I think my team relishes in being disfunctional as possible.

I truly wish these could have been fired before this godawful coaching search went down.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Do you think he was aiming for more of a Donald Trump or Vince McMahon level "You're Fired!"?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doctor Butts posted:

I just don't get what changed in Haslam's mind.

Yeah I'm really curious about this and looking forward to finding out the official explanation and the leaks.

But honestly Pettine isn't a completely terrible choice as far as I can tell so other than gutting Chud for no reason this could potentially work out for the Browns. I wonder if Farmer had any say in hiring Pettine?

I'm guessing NFL Network be carrying the press conference?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
So how does it get worse from here? And does this mean a JFFless Browns?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

So how does it get worse from here? And does this mean a JFFless Browns?

Haslam could get pinched by the feds at any time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Move the Browns again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Live reaction from Chudcam:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The only bad thing about this is that Pettine is now probably coaching the first and last year of his contract.

I wonder what Chud thinks. I assume someone somewhere talked to Haslem and made him wise up to the situation since he wasn't around much last year.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Somehow the Browns have backdoored themselves into a decent GM and head coach, after inexplicably firing a promising head coach and then bungling the coaching search. This is the football managing equivalent of the dropping the Uzi scene from True Lies and very unlike the Browns.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I'm going to be sad when if the Browns ever become a competent franchise because they are a constant source of entertainment in an otherwise meaningless world.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Kalli posted:

Do you think he was aiming for more of a Donald Trump or Vince McMahon level "You're Fired!"?

I hope Haslam made them join the Kiss My rear end Club.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm more happy about these two idiots being gone than the Chud firing...

...but what the gently caress is wrong with us?

:suicide:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There is no :lol: big enough.

Who the gently caress is in charge of this team?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Goetta posted:

@WillBurge 8m
#Browns source told said org had a meeting in morn. Haslam walked in, announced Banner & Lombardi were gone & walked back out. Dead silence

Haha

Oh man that fuckin rules

Nov 6, 2002

And so ends Ryan Mallett's career.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I really didn't think I've have anything to get excited about until the combine but the Browns prove me wrong once more.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This poo poo sounds like something that would happen in the ABA

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner in the league by a mile these days. It's pretty hard to believe he was a minority owner of the most stable franchise in the league before going to Cleveland and turning out this joke of a franchise. I'm really sad for my mom

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Breer just pointed out this article about new GM Farmer reads a lot differently then when it was written last week: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000323839/article/ray-farmer-browns-ready-to-redefine-history-books

Oh my. He certainly had to know what was coming.

quote:

"I think Cleveland is primed and I think we're in a position to redefine the history books," Farmer told Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer. "I think change is on the horizon and I didn't want to miss what's going to happen in Cleveland."

Said Farmer: "I assume they would've given me the job. That's the way it was articulated to me. If I took the job, I would've reported directly to (Dolphins owner) Stephen Ross and it was a tremendous opportunity. It still is a dream of mine to become a general manager and run my own program and put together my own team, but it wasn't the right time for me."

Farmer's words fly in the face of widespread criticism that paints Cleveland's front office as a tangled clown car. He insists his decision to return to the team didn't come with promises of a promotion.

"No, and I would've balked at that. I will never hunt anyone's job that I work with. That's not what I'm inclined to do," said Farmer, who went out of his way to praise Browns general manager Michael Lombardi.

"I love Mike Lombardi," Farmer said. :allears: "A lot of people in this city don't, but those people don't know him. He's one of my dearest friends at this point. He's intelligent, he's smart, he's witty, he challenges me every day to be better, so I like where I'm at and I like him. There are no assurances in the NFL and coming off a 4-12 season, people are skeptical, people don't understand why some decisions were made inside the building, but, again, I think inevitably, I trust the process we're going through."

Also, I love that the NFL's own site refers to Cleveland's front office as a clown car.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I feel bad for any Browns fans. The whole franchise is basically in limbo with Haslam at the helm. They have some great talent on the team as well. What a waste.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I also do not feel nearly as bad for Farmer turning down the Dolphins now

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

FizFashizzle posted:

who is actually going to be in charge of all the pre draft/free agency scouting at this point? who has actual decision making ability? why is banner not out right now instead of 3 months from now?

That squid that picks the World Cup would have been better than Lombardi, so its looking up

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Bigass Moth posted:

The only bad thing about this is that Pettine is now probably coaching the first and last year of his contract.

I wonder what Chud thinks. I assume someone somewhere talked to Haslem and made him wise up to the situation since he wasn't around much last year.

What makes you think Haslam wasn't around much last year? When's the last time an owner was at the press conference after a coach's firing?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sorry Browns bros. Eventually things will get better- isn't that what that ad campaign is about with all the gay Cleveland fans?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rap posted:

What makes you think Haslam wasn't around much last year? When's the last time an owner was at the press conference after a coach's firing?

Clark Hunt at least, but that was as much to keep Pioli in the background until he finally decided to fire him which was pretty much going to happen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Apparently this has been a rumor for a while now?

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/11/5401206/who-saw-the-michael-lombardi-firing-coming-and-the-source-of-joe

I wasn't following the Carousel thread, so it might be OFN.

First I've heard it was rumored and I guess Manning had a hand in it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Rap posted:

All reports said he was in town maybe one day of the week, and for games. That's not really enough to have a true understanding of what's happening. He was err, kind of busy with the Flying J stuff all year.

Just speculation on my part, but it would appear he got more info between the day they fired Chud and today that soured him on Lombardi and Banner...otherwise they would have been gone earlier and not involved in the coaching search.

Doctor Butts posted:

Apparently this has been a rumor for a while now?

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2/11/5401206/who-saw-the-michael-lombardi-firing-coming-and-the-source-of-joe

I wasn't following the Carousel thread, so it might be OFN.

Apparently its been a rumor for a little bit and I guess Manning had a hand in it.
I heard the "Farmer to replace Lombardi" rumor last week and thought it was BS. Banner is completely out of left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Anyway maybe it's more horrifying if you do think Haslam wasn't involved this year, because that just means in the 6 weeks after the season, after not having paid attention to it, he agreed with Lombardi and Banner to fire Chudzinski then decided to fire them too after that.

The man is an absolute piece of poo poo, a horrible manager and a scam artist who got rich off of breaking the law and defrauding smaller business owners. thank you

• Locked thread