Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Doctor Butts posted:

You must not be actually reading these posts because not one person is supporting either Banner or Lombardi.

I did say media and fans in general. I wasn't responding to anyone in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

The tradition of excellence continues.

Out of date by over a year.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

wilderthanmild posted:

Out of date by over a year.

Would be a near full time job to keep this picture up to date.

con
Aug 5, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Practically everyone was on board with the Chud hire, and his firing was a huge disappointment that was obviously wrong that day and even more so now.

Are you sure about that? The whole coaching situation seemed toxic. Chud and Turner were apparently getting in a lot of arguments and Horton was constantly taking digs at Chud before the season even started. It seems like a good idea to clear house in those situations. If the head coach can't even get his coordinators on the same page how can he get a roster of 53 players on the same page on game day?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I honestly don't know if Lombardi and Banner were terrible or, more importantly, would continue to be terrible in the future. I know they hosed up the coaching moves this offseason but one would hope that wouldn't come up again for at least 3 years.

But I do know this is going to affect players' decisions to sign with the Browns. TJ Ward and Alex Mack both said so when they fired Chud. Will dumping Banner and Lombardi help or hurt? I don't know, I'd be inclined to say hurt; players' agents will see the Browns as in constant upheaval and recommend to their players that they go somewhere stable. I think it does matter how the franchise looks to others, fans and media but more importantly players, and I can't imagine this is helping with the Browns' image, which at this point is below "peak Al Davis" and "Scott Pioli" and quickly approaching "McDaniels" and "Zorn running the swinging gate"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

con posted:

Are you sure about that? The whole coaching situation seemed toxic. Chud and Turner were apparently getting in a lot of arguments and Horton was constantly taking digs at Chud before the season even started. It seems like a good idea to clear house in those situations. If the head coach can't even get his coordinators on the same page how can he get a roster of 53 players on the same page on game day?

Wow.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
There were some rumors of arguments. That doesn't mean firing a coach after one year, in which you are openly and blatantly rebuilding, is a good idea. It's extremely demoralizing to players and puts everyone on edge. Calling for your less good starting players to be cut is also extremely demoralizing and is a flashing neon sign to impending free agents: DO NOT COME HERE BECAUSE WHEN YOU gently caress UP YOU'RE GONE. Oh and firing Chud said the same thing to coaches, which explains why we managed to hire our like 8th candidate.

con
Aug 5, 2004

What did I say that was off base?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

I have a wealth of experience with assembling contracts, payment terms, headhunting, and buying subcontractor services, plus I look at the draft a lot and wouldn't mind moving near Cleveland. Wonder if the Browns are hiring for CEO...

You sound kind of over qualified.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wasn't Norv all sorts of pissed that they fired Chud or was that a false report?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

con posted:

What did I say that was off base?

The damage they've done to the franchise this offseason is miles beyond the damage Chud was doing even if he was arguing with Turner and Horton weekly, which I have never heard claimed. So, most of what you said

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
This whole thing reinforces my belief that Banner and Lombardi sold Haslem on the Chud firing by saying they'd replace him with McDaniels. So they get raked over the coals for firing a (probably at least somewhat) competent coach, they get turned down by the guy they wanted, and their eventual hire more or less took the job because "meh, why not."

So Haslem is fed up, and also Banner is an rear end in a top hat, so Jimmy says "gently caress it" and does what he probably should have done instead of firing Chud.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rap posted:

Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner in the league by a mile these days. It's pretty hard to believe he was a minority owner of the most stable franchise in the league before going to Cleveland and turning out this joke of a franchise. I'm really sad for my mom

I am too, but not because of the browns.

con
Aug 5, 2004

Rap posted:

The damage they've done to the franchise this offseason is miles beyond the damage Chud was doing even if he was arguing with Turner and Horton weekly, which I have never heard claimed. So, most of what you said

Did you ever listen to Horton talk to the media? He was constantly blaming everything on the offense even though his unit was giving up game winning drives week after week.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He's a great, hard, tireless worker, our fans are very passionate, the Republican Guard is holding the line against the invading US forces.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The thing is all of this upheaval and the perception that the Browns are a loving mess hamstrings Ray Farmer. Let's set aside RB since they have such a short shelf life and consider OG.

We could use a new starter at right guard. Let's take Jon Asamoah just as an example, he's 25. The standard offer to a free agent would be what, four, five years? In other words, a prime free agent like Jon is looking at his next contract as truly the prime of his career. How in God's name would he choose to spend it with Cleveland, the franchise whose longest-standing front office member is Ray Farmer, who has been here like 55 weeks total? How much more per year would that take, to bring Jon to Cleveland as opposed to the...well the 27 or 28 teams with better player rosters and the 31 teams with more stability in the front office and coaching staff?

I think all this upheaval has cost us two or three years of equal footing with other NFL teams in free agency. We better draft like geniuses to get ourselves back on track because we aren't signing too many useful players.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

The thing is all of this upheaval and the perception that the Browns are a loving mess hamstrings Ray Farmer. Let's set aside RB since they have such a short shelf life and consider OG.

We could use a new starter at right guard. Let's take Jon Asamoah just as an example, he's 25. The standard offer to a free agent would be what, four, five years? In other words, a prime free agent like Jon is looking at his next contract as truly the prime of his career. How in God's name would he choose to spend it with Cleveland, the franchise whose longest-standing front office member is Ray Farmer, who has been here like 55 weeks total? How much more per year would that take, to bring Jon to Cleveland as opposed to the...well the 27 or 28 teams with better player rosters and the 31 teams with more stability in the front office and coaching staff?

I think all this upheaval has cost us two or three years of equal footing with other NFL teams in free agency. We better draft like geniuses to get ourselves back on track because we aren't signing too many useful players.

If you start winning (or even treading water) and offer big fat contracts, everything else will fall into place

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Declan MacManus posted:

If you start winning (or even treading water) and offer big fat contracts, everything else will fall into place

*Jimmy Haslam dashes to whiteboard, writes START WINNING in the center, circles it*

con
Aug 5, 2004

Rap posted:

It will be interesting to see what happens. The subtraction of Banner and Lombardi though might make the team look more appealing for people wanting to come here. I guess we'll find out in March when Free Agency starts.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Sorry that I was rude earlier. I was angry at Jimmy Haslam, not you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If it helps any Asamoah has some history with Farmer and might like him, since he was part of the crew that drafted him and all. The Chiefs probably shouldn't let him get to free agency though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rap posted:

*Jimmy Haslam dashes to whiteboard, writes START WINNING in the center, circles it*

I think it's a good strategy even if it goes against established Browns orthodoxy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

The problem is that they will have to offer bigger contracts than other teams though, and it is pretty obvious why that is a problem as well.

Rap posted:

Chichevache posted:

"Where do you think you need the most improvement?"

"I think we need the most improvement in wins."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Part of the reason Cleveland is such an unattractive destination is because they lose a ton; one season of ~.500 ball and no major changes in the FO will do wonders for convincing players to come

E: fwiw I think the roster that the Browns have is capable of 8-8 or better if coached properly and kept away from the Colt McQuarterbacks and Old Man Weedens of the world

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

con posted:

Did you ever listen to Horton talk to the media? He was constantly blaming everything on the offense even though his unit was giving up game winning drives week after week.

Uh, what? You think a defensive coordinator is going to say his coaching is the problem?

The Browns lost a lot of games because they had lovely QBs. The defense was a strong point, though yes they had bad moments and some underwhelming players, every loss I can think of can be planted squarely on the offense.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

Part of the reason Cleveland is such an unattractive destination is because they lose a ton; one season of ~.500 ball and no major changes in the FO will do wonders for convincing players to come

E: fwiw I think the roster that the Browns have is capable of 8-8 or better if coached properly and kept away from the Colt McQuarterbacks and Old Man Weedens of the world

Honestly they could have gone 9-7 last year if Hoyer hadn't gone down.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Bigass Moth posted:

Uh, what? You think a defensive coordinator is going to say his coaching is the problem?

The Browns lost a lot of games because they had lovely QBs. The defense was a strong point, though yes they had bad moments and some underwhelming players, every loss I can think of can be planted squarely on the offense.

I think the offense bears most of the blame, but I didn't think the defense was really that good. Third downs and red zone our play calling was atrocious

Fortunately it doesn't matter now because it is almost entirely a different team out there.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Waitwait wait... So Joe Banner is going to stick around for the draft and then be fired?

Why would he care about having a good draft at all? Why not just fire him now before he can do more damage to the team???

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
:tinfoil:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 13h
Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam would welcome LB Michael Sam even though he's gay http://dlvr.it/4vMznF

quote:

"Absolutely we would welcome Michael Sam to the Cleveland Browns organization if he can help us win games and he's the right football player for this team,'' Haslam said in a statement provided by the Browns. "We are intent on creating an environment that is supportive, accepting and respectful of individual rights and differences."

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 3h
#Browns blockbuster announcement: Ray Farmer promoted to GM, Joe Banner to step down as CEO, GM Michael Lombardi to leave team.

:tinfoil:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We don't just need a QB. Need WR's too. Need some fix-ups to the offensive line as well.

On the Defensive side, our pass rush was non-existent for most of the season and it was just a matter of time before the secondary lost a step. The LB's weren't incredible either.

I think they have a long way to go to be 8-8.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doctor Butts posted:

We don't just need a QB. Need WR's too. Need some fix-ups to the offensive line as well.

On the Defensive side, our pass rush was non-existent for most of the season and it was just a matter of time before the secondary lost a step. The LB's weren't incredible either.

I think they have a long way to go to be 8-8.

You sort of have a QB though in Hoyer. Or at least he seems worth another shot to see what he's got.

That said I'm gonna laugh when Farmer trades up in the draft to snag Johnny Manziel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Somehow that trainwreck press conference from last month has become funnier.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Haslam's and Farmer's corporate pseudo-babble is my favorite part about all this. This is how you build a football team boys. STREAMLINING!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Haslem runs press conferences like a UPS logistics commercial

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Chichevache posted:

You sort of have a QB though in Hoyer. Or at least he seems worth another shot to see what he's got.

That said I'm gonna laugh when Farmer trades up in the draft to snag Johnny Manziel.

Hoyer seems to be the type of guy who's an average QB.

He's a good guy you play while the rookie is on the bench.

I don't think the team is terrible per say, just again at least needs average QB play.

You get that? You're at least 8-8.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toymachine posted:

Haslam's and Farmer's corporate pseudo-babble is my favorite part about all this. This is how you build a football team boys. STREAMLINING!

Sounds like the Browns' FO is extremely proactive and working on an entirely new paradigm.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hoyer seems to be the type of guy who's an average QB.

He's a good guy you play while the rookie is on the bench.

I don't think the team is terrible per say, just again at least needs average QB play.

You get that? You're at least 8-8.

The team wasn't bad on paper last year the way things are going right now they are going to lose all their key FAs this year. All the while good luck bringing in new FAs. Also it looks like the draft this year is being setup up to fail for the Browns as well. It's very possible the Browns could totally implode next year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

HappyHelmet posted:

The team wasn't bad on paper last year the way things are going right now they are going to lose all their key FAs this year. All the while good luck bringing in new FAs. Also it looks like the draft this year is being setup up to fail for the Browns as well. It's very possible the Browns could totally implode next year.

I keep hearing they'll franchise Ward.

Ward is also interested in staying here it appears. He's done a lot of local appearances in the past few weeks, and has said as much on twitter.

Mack is gone, but I'm not sure there was much you could do with him.

The rest? Are either bad, average or can be easily replaced. Cundiff is a FA, but he's very pro-cleveland, and I think he'll come back.

con
Aug 5, 2004

HappyHelmet posted:

Also it looks like the draft this year is being setup up to fail for the Browns as well.

What does this even mean? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ward can say as much as he wants for lip service sake, but he's gonna get absolutely paid by some other team if they don't tag him. There's such a lack of good safeties. Probably the same with Mack.

Whatever one doesn't get franchised would probably leave with this mess unless Cleveland overpays.

• Locked thread