Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

con posted:

What does this even mean? :psyduck:

Aren't Banner and Lombardi still doing the draft this year? I thought I saw that mentioned earlier. Having a lame duck GM/President assisting in the draft is just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Banner's still around, but I believe Lombardi is out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You have to imagine Banner is only still here in name, he can't possibly have any power or say over anything.

Or maybe he does since it's the browns.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
If he doesn't have any input, why keep him specifically for FA and the draft? Why not just fire him now?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SlipUp posted:

If he doesn't have any input, why keep him specifically for FA and the draft? Why not just fire him now?

Probably to handle delegation of the financial and contractual stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SlipUp posted:

Maybe they're using his draft board.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Declan MacManus posted:

Maybe they're using his draft board.

He's agreed to bring the beer

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Azhais posted:

He's agreed to bring the beer

His draught board?

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
I'm starting to think Jimmy Haslam has NO idea what the word "continuity" means.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Kalli posted:

Probably to handle delegation of the financial and contractual stuff.

It just seems like if you're going to fire a guy because Peyton Manning warned you that you would never succeed with him, maybe keeping him around for the most vital parts of the offseason would by extension also be a not good idea. If he's delegating financial and contractual stuff he probably still has the final word, right? If you're trying to fix your image problem to attract more FAs having the official stance be that he's only going to be around long enough to handle your contract would only hinder that.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Mac Tonight posted:

I'm starting to think Jimmy Haslam has NO idea what the word "continuity" means.

Clearly in this case it's the ongoing ability to make consistently bad decisions

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harlock posted:

Haslem runs press conferences like a UPS logistics commercial

Starring Chip Kelly?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I don't know much at all about Banner, but firing Lombardi was at the very least justified. I wonder if we will ever really know why it went down like this. Haslem is probably just scrambling for control of anything at this point...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now that Banner's gone, NFL beat writers will have to find a different Anonymous NFL Executive to quote for all of their rumors

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

smuggler posted:

I don't know much at all about Banner, but firing Lombardi was at the very least justified. I wonder if we will ever really know why it went down like this. Haslem is probably just scrambling for control of anything at this point...

I doubt there is much to the story actually. Haslam was bogged down in legal trouble, and just went with whatever Banner/Lombardi told him because he had other poo poo to worry about. With Haslam not paying attention Banner went full rear end in a top hat, likely spent his time undermining everyone else, and making life difficult for everyone under him. Meanwhile Lombardi was an idiot trying to create Patriots 2.0, and doing dumb stuff like leaking info on social media.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I'm still surprised this happened but it absolutely needed to. Banner and Lombardi were NFL jokes before they found a new shot at being awful and promptly showed why they were jokes to begin with. I didn't really think that rumor CONCEDE broke on Twitter a week or two ago was legit but here we are.

I actually didn't hear about this till just now so I need to catch up on all the likely able to safely assume reasons this happened.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I don't get where people think this will HURT the Browns getting/keeping FAs.

Banner and Lombardi were/are reviled across the league by players, executives, coaches and owners alike. They were going to be far more of a negative than changing them out after a year.

Haslam was absent most of the season because of his damage control needs with the Pilot situation. The Browns insider Lane Adkins noted Haslam had to step back long before the season even started because trying to unfuck himself and Pilot was of far greater import than being involved with the Browns.

When Haslam has more time available to him and comes back to the Browns, do you know what he found?

A completely loving broken and toxic business, top to bottom. If you think it was just problems on the field or among the coaches, you're wrong. As soon as Banner and Lombardi came in, every aspect of the team's business became tainted and polluted. They are absolutely horrible people to work for and around.

All of this was repeatedly discussed by various Browns sources since they came in.

Add to the fact that both Banner and Lombardi are confirmed and well-known sources of leaks, petty grudge-bearing backstabbers and general incompetents, and its a very good thing they were fired.

When you have two known horrible factors there, its not bad they were fired after a short period. What is bad is Haslam hiring them in the first place. That is where the mistake lies, not trying to ride them out awhile longer just to save face on having rapid shakeups.

Based on what sources close to Mack and Ward have been saying the past couple months, ditching the morons will actually help them be more willing/wanting to come back here without tags.

Remember the reports that Banner and Lombardi were openly mocked/treated badly by their fellow front office types when they were all gathered together?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think you really have to try to retain talent at this point as much as you can.

I'd sign Ward to a deal and see if you can get this done. I'm not sure how that goes about, but I think he's your priority because I think he's more likely to say yes to his "Hometown" team.

Mack? Ideally I'd prefer to have Ward signed to a deal and Mack franchised. You at least want to quit creating holes on this team and making it all the more difficult to build something here.

If you can delay filling that hole for a year, that will help quite a bit.

Goal number 1 is to get a Quarterback. Get one that can win games, can make plays, and in general look the part of a guy that would make the cover of a Gatorade bottle.

If you do that? Everything else this season is bonus.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Can't believe anyone has faith in Haslam after this.

say no to bats posted:

When you have two known horrible factors there, its not bad they were fired after a short period. What is bad is Haslam hiring them in the first place. That is where the mistake lies, not trying to ride them out awhile longer just to save face on having rapid shakeups.
It was a mistake to hire them and a mistake to fire them. This isn't like building an NBA starting 5 where you should plug and play over and over until you get a good combination. This is like casting the first in a movie franchise. You can't ditch your supporting actor for the sequel and then again for part three. Even if you land a great actor for part three, nobody wants to go to your loving movie

quote:

Based on what sources close to Mack and Ward have been saying the past couple months, ditching the morons will actually help them be more willing/wanting to come back here without tags.
Show me this. Have you read this anywhere?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rap posted:

Can't believe anyone has faith in Haslam after this.

It was a mistake to hire them and a mistake to fire them. This isn't like building an NBA starting 5 where you should plug and play over and over until you get a good combination. This is like casting the first in a movie franchise. You can't ditch your supporting actor for the sequel and then again for part three. Even if you land a great actor for part three, nobody wants to go to your loving movie

Show me this. Have you read this anywhere?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h
Positive for #Browns: Much better chance of retaining star C Alex Mack. He’ll still test FA. With old regime, he was gone. Could be back now

e: Mack seems to be the one that'll be more difficult to reel in. Ward I think you've got a chance. You don't shoot local comedy bits with the intent of going "gently caress THIS PLACE".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sWB9QAfG7o

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 11, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That appears to be a guess on Rapaport's part though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If I were a free agent, there's no point in this entire saga where I have positive interest in joining the Browns.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Farmer already hired his assistant GM who supposedly also has a good reputation:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h

CLEV hiring former Chiefs VP of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich to assist new Browns GM Ray Farmer, per sources. They worked together in KC.

Retweeted by Orange and Brown Rpt
Scott Fujita ‏@sfujita55 4m

Cleared out 2 impediments to progress, IMO. Makes Browns a more desirable location now. @dutey12
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Retweeted by Orange and Brown Rpt
Scott Fujita ‏@sfujita55 12m

Bill Kuharich joining Browns is a great hire. Like I said earlier, the timing of all this seems bizarre. But Browns got better today.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 11, 2014

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I can't wait till Farmer is fired after the draft.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

FuzzySkinner posted:

Mack? Ideally I'd prefer to have Ward signed to a deal and Mack franchised.

You'd prefer paying your center like an elite left tackle?

midwat
May 6, 2007

NC-17 posted:

I can't wait till Farmer is fired after the draft.

Mid-draft, announced by a lucky contest winner!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

midwat posted:

"In the 4th round of the draft, the Cleveland Browns...tell Ray Farmer to pack his poo poo and get the gently caress out."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

midwat posted:

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
This is a good thing and I'm not really upset.

It really seems like the firing of Chudzinski and the clusterfuck of the coaching falls on Banner. There have been countless reports that Banner was hard to work with, didn't approach vets about extensions, was generally a dick. These in a vacuum didn't necessarily make him a bad exec but it did sour relationships with a myriad of people which made him a bad exec. The leaks of him calling for cuts mid-season are the dumbest loving thing ever, if true.

From the start Lombardi's "GM" title seemed in name only and he filled a role closer to a player personnel director (from what I could tell, at least) so him being ousted doesn't seem like a loss as Banner was the real GM. Also, gently caress Ryan Mallet.

This really doesn't read like "lol browns" to me (I mean, yea, It does but...not in the same way). The coaching search was peak "lol browns" but this seem like Haslam was misled by Banner, either about Chud, the presumed public reaction, or a guaranteed coaching hire that withdrew. After the fallout of the coaching search I think Haslam realized that Banner was running a clusterfuck so he cut him, which I applaud.

It does show instability, no doubt but Farmer has been here for a year, Pettine seems average, Scheiner hasn't really made a brilliant/terrible decision yet.

What I'm getting at is the Browns may have Brownsd (lol) backwards into a decent situation.

C'mon guys! Load the shotgun of optimism, put it in your mouth, and pull the trigger!

That's Browns Football.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Has there been one coach or GM that came back from TV who was successful? I can't think of any.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

commy gun posted:

Has there been one coach or GM that came back from TV who was successful? I can't think of any.

Doc Rivers had a TV stint in between Orlando and Boston

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dick Vermeil.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Dick Vermeil.

He was great at both!

Also, Marty. He didn't win a title, but he came drat close with the Chargers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I love these stupid little tidbits:

Peter King: In the last 14 months, the Cleveland Browns have employed 56 coaches.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Woah woah woah, does that include like assistants and waterboys and poo poo, or have the Browns actually completely replaced their entire staff like 3-4 times in less than a season and a half?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The 3 staffs one. 14 months would cover Shurmur's staff, Chud's, and now Pettine's.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The stat they kept on repeating on ESPN Radio was the 3rd HC and 3rd GM in 407 days.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Satire is dead.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
...and we killed it?

...or long live satire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Farmer already hired his assistant GM who supposedly also has a good reputation:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h

CLEV hiring former Chiefs VP of Player Personnel Bill Kuharich to assist new Browns GM Ray Farmer, per sources. They worked together in KC.
Bill Kuharich is a fantastic hire by Cleveland and he's a lot smarter talent evaluator than Lombardi ever was. He led the Chiefs 2008 draft which resulted in Dorsey (seems to be doing well in SF), Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers, Jamaal Charles and Brandon Carr.

The Lions have done some good drafting with him there, too.

• Locked thread