Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
What qualification did your partner qualify with? Naturally I understand not going straight to work while pregnant/right after having a baby, but my initial worry was that after some degree of absence from experience in the field, she would be very uncompetitive for employment. This worry is now magnified now that you say that your future hope is for her to be the sole income earner while you study.

I don't know how different the NZ job market is from the Australian market, and I admit that I am in a continually-evolving field (science), but this would be a big worry of mine if you're going to rely on her sole income in the future. If she got a university degree, that year(s) without experience could put her on the same wage level as what you currently earn, depending on degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur

Spiteski posted:

We are quite young, so her having 1 year off after finishing study to have a new kid is fairly easily explained. And we arent expecting her job to instantly make us affluent, but anything better than what I am on is an improvement.
If we can swing me studying with her just working (which is how we :airquote:managed:airquote: the two years she studied) then we will both be in a better position in a few years time.
It's not the absence being unable to be adequately explained so much as being out of the field for that time and probably forgetting a lot of what she learned (in an employer's eyes) because she's not been practicing it. But again, I don't know what field she is in, how competitive it is nor how quickly it evolves - I mean if she graduated with a degree in history she'll be fine, whereas a science degree would make getting a job 1yr after graduating rather difficult.

Also, a lot of new grads end up earning minimum wage so that is where my concern lays - I don't think you can necessarily depend on her earning anything more than you currently are, especially if she can't find work in her field. Maybe she could do some relevant courses on Coursera to demonstrate her continued commitment to keeping current with her education?

• Locked thread