Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was there that much gnashing and whining when Princess Peach stopped being called "Princess Toadstool"?

No because peach was about as interesting as a wooden door.

Robotnik on the other hand.... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure no matter what they say now, the Chaos Emeralds will roll out for the Season 2 finale.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

They're bringing back Marine? Odd choice. Also is that loving Nack I see!?

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure no matter what they say now, the Chaos Emeralds will roll out for the Season 2 finale.

I doubt it. Knuckles's bio doesn't mention anything about the Master Emerald, and the Chaos Emeralds came from the ME, so there you go.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
While I've been thoroughly "Wait and see" I can very much sense that this isn't going to be a Sonic Game, it almost essentially seems like Ratchet and Clank staring the Sonic Characters with some Goes Fast segments.

I don't know if that will be a good thing or now.

Also seriously what the gently caress is with the Eggman/Robotnik chat? He was Robotnik for 7 years in the english market, he's been Eggman for 16-17 in the english market. Get over it. Who cares if it makes him sound silly? It's Eggman! His main goal is building a themepark of his likeness to A. praise himself and B. Hate that Hedgehog. Everything else is literally secondary. Why would you want that character to be or sound serious? So we can go back to the days of the awful cartoons and comics where he was a generic evil dictator?

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Onmi posted:

Why would you want that character to be or sound serious?

Because "Robuttnik" is a much more radical insult than "Egghead." :smug:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Onmi posted:

He was Robotnik for 7 years in the english market, he's been Eggman for 16-17 in the english market.

Stop reminding me that 1990 was not ten years ago any more.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Dr. Robotnik is a much better name than Eggman, but well, what's done is done. I still like to think that his real name is Ivo Robotnik and Eggman is simply a nickname, like in the Sonic Adventure games. They should have stuck with that, then you'd have the best of both worlds. Robuttnik is also a way better insult than Egghead.

In a perfect world, he would still be called Dr. Robotnik and Scratch and Grounder would return, but that'll never happen.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Dr. Robotnik is a much better name than Eggman, but well, what's done is done. I still like to think that his real name is Ivo Robotnik and Eggman is simply a nickname, like in the Sonic Adventure games. They should have stuck with that, then you'd have the best of both worlds. Robuttnik is also a way better insult than Egghead.

In a perfect world, he would still be called Dr. Robotnik and Scratch and Grounder would return, but that'll never happen.

Agreeing with this wholeheartedly.

Also, I hate seeing Sonic with blue arms. It's driving me loving BATTY because I'm OCD about this poo poo. It's something so small, but something that digs into me hard because it messes with the formula just enough to piss me off. Why did they need to change his arm color? Why deviate from the system, I mean, what reason could they have?! oh my god why make such a pointless change :psyduck:

The cartoon preview was cute and funny, atleast. Glad Roger Craig Smith's back as Sonic. Everything's animated well and the show has flow. The video game looks awfully generic to me though, and that's something that will have to be built up on. I'll cross my fingers, but you know, in the end, I still don't think Sega can fix Sonic anymore. Sonic Generations was a fluke that I doubt will ever be topped.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Gammatron 64 posted:

Scratch and Grounder did come back. They got their names changed to Orbot and Cubot.

Also how can Generations be a fluke when Unleashed and Colours were both in the same style? And Lost World was fun.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

The Grimace posted:

[/i] Why did they need to change his arm color? Why deviate from the system, I mean, what reason could they have?!

In the interviews they likened Sonic Boom and Sega Team Sonic to how Marvel and DC handle their multiple universes. I like to think of Blue armed Sonic as the "Ultimate Universe" version, like how Ultimate Hulk is gray instead of green but still obviously Hulk.

That said, I won't disagree that it's not wonky-looking, despite that Tails and Knuckles have had same-color arms since forever without ever looking weird. It's probably because they kept the tan belly as opposed to some white interest on the chest like everyone else with solid-color arms.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Am I the only one who is completely flabbergasted by that trailer? It has to be one of the worst videogame trailers I've ever seen. Beat for beat, it is emulating kids' movie trailers and compeletely fails at being either that or a videogame trailer. Why the gently caress is there Batman music turning into generic dubstep? Even the title drop is just lazily lifted from a movie trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people saying "Sonic needs to be more serious and anime", but I don't think American Pie Presents: Sonic Boom Trailer is something that should place our expectations anywhere above the garbage can.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MrBims posted:

Am I the only one who is completely flabbergasted by that trailer? It has to be one of the worst videogame trailers I've ever seen. Beat for beat, it is emulating kids' movie trailers and compeletely fails at being either that or a videogame trailer. Why the gently caress is there Batman music turning into generic dubstep? Even the title drop is just lazily lifted from a movie trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people saying "Sonic needs to be more serious and anime", but I don't think American Pie Presents: Sonic Boom Trailer is something that should place our expectations anywhere above the garbage can.

I'm pretty much in full agreement here. The trailer reminded me uncomfortably of Ratchet and Clank, All 4 One, only without a solid track record by the developers to subvert.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I will say, I like the drop of the Chaos Emeralds (for now). Whilst I may have largely grown up with the 'modern' games from Adventure (though having played stuff like 2 in the years before), I will admit that one of the problems that could occur is the degree to which the Emeralds were a major plot focus... even when they didn't need to be. 06, Unleashed, and even Generations, much as I like the latter two, all make them 'essential' pieces without properly justifying it, or in 06's case, creating a very muddied mess on just how many there are, who has what at what time, etc. Adventure 1 and 2 are a somewhat better about it, given that for the former, the main enemy is literally the original guardian of the things, and for the latter, its because they were an incidentally convenient energy source that Gerald Robotnik decided to hijack for his research.

So I suppose thinking on it, maybe the best comparison for this would actually be Transformers? Not the films, but rather, the IDW continuity, at the start anyway. Simon Furman stated that there was no Primus or Unicron in that setting, presumably to avoid falling into the trap of having the plot eventually conclude with them at some point. In this case, with Sonic Boom, they're entirely free to hold off from using the Chaos Emeralds for a while, and maybe make a later return more meaningful from it - though they wouldn't need to.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2014

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm pretty much in full agreement here. The trailer reminded me uncomfortably of Ratchet and Clank, All 4 One, only without a solid track record by the developers to subvert.

Eh, Insomniac had a very solid track record until All 4 One. Big Red Button's made up of ex-Naughty Dog devs, so who knows. I like the idea of revisiting a failed concept and making work. The game trailer makes it look like a kids movie became it's aimed at children.

Sonic's blue arms don't bother me. I didn't even realize they were blue until it was pointed out by so many complainers. I guess I've gotten used to so many wierd superhero changes that I've exhausted all my old man change fear, making it easier to embrace the change or just be apathetic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CowboyAndy posted:

No, because Peach and Toadstool are both good names.

Until now I thought Peach and Toadstool were two different princesses. :shobon:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Would anyone like to speculate irresponsibly about this?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a statue of an echidna/hedgehog. It probably has some relevance to the plot of the game but the real question is why do you care about the plot?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The show sort of reminds me of that Donkey Kong cartoon they had back in the day - really low-rent jerky 3D with unsettlingly fast-moving mouths.

And I bet it won't have any bitchin' songs about pirates, either.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, if it's like the DK cartoon, that's already better than the past 15 years.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Precursors CONFIRMED

Dark Eco ALSO CONFIRMED

Sonic X Combat Racing YOU BET YOUR rear end

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears to be Pachacamac.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxxidation posted:

The show sort of reminds me of that Donkey Kong cartoon they had back in the day - really low-rent jerky 3D with unsettlingly fast-moving mouths.

And I bet it won't have any bitchin' songs about pirates, either.

gently caress, those songs were AWESOME.

GOD, I LOVED THAT CARTOON.

There's a 100% chance Sonic Boom will be disappointing as gently caress to me now and I'm blaming you. :(

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Look all I want to say is that as long as Tails doesn't have any goddamn dummy ring bombs in the game it will be the best Sonic game in the universe to me.

(that's a lie, Generations will still be the best, but seriously this is the first time since 2006 that Tails will be playable, right?)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

Look all I want to say is that as long as Tails doesn't have any goddamn dummy ring bombs in the game it will be the best Sonic game in the universe to me.

(that's a lie, Generations will still be the best, but seriously this is the first time since 2006 that Tails will be playable, right?)

They got him so perfect in Sonic Adventure 1, but completely stopped giving a poo poo after that. As much as I still enjoy Sonic Adventure 2, only the Sonic and Shadow sections hold up (also the Chao raising), since Tails and Eggman play like slower versions of E-102, and Knuckles and Rouge can only detect one emerald shard at a time.

Sonic Adventure 1 had six playstyles rather than three, but the only one I didn't enjoy was Amy. I'd love to see a game that took everything SA1 and 2 tried and did it right, since I'm not such a huge fan of modern Sonic's "Boost all the time, steer him out of the way of danger" gameplay, especially when SA2 had very good controls for him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Wild Knight posted:

This'll be the first time sine 2006 that literally anybody except Sonic or Blaze will be playable.

That loving Sned posted:

They got him so perfect in Sonic Adventure 1, but completely stopped giving a poo poo after that. As much as I still enjoy Sonic Adventure 2, only the Sonic and Shadow sections hold up (also the Chao raising), since Tails and Eggman play like slower versions of E-102, and Knuckles and Rouge can only detect one emerald shard at a time.

Sonic Adventure 1 had six playstyles rather than three, but the only one I didn't enjoy was Amy. I'd love to see a game that took everything SA1 and 2 tried and did it right, since I'm not such a huge fan of modern Sonic's "Boost all the time, steer him out of the way of danger" gameplay, especially when SA2 had very good controls for him.

Eggman was a lot of fun because his levels were "Blow poo poo Up" and Tails' were mostly just asinine platforming. Also, the novelty of playing as Eggman for the first time was really cool. It still doesn't really hold up to E-102's gameplay because as you said, it's slower, but I think it was still legitimately really fun.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
All this DK cartoon discussion and we didn't post the DIDDY DROP RAP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLBJevV-ooU

Still, I'm a bit leery about the dubstep esque music. I long for a return to the ridiculous butt rock of SA1 and 2. Live And Learn is legitimately awesome and noone can convince me otherwise :colbert:

also please can we bring back the knuckles raps

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LordHippoman posted:

All this DK cartoon discussion and we didn't post the DIDDY DROP RAP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLBJevV-ooU

Still, I'm a bit leery about the dubstep esque music. I long for a return to the ridiculous butt rock of SA1 and 2. Live And Learn is legitimately awesome and noone can convince me otherwise :colbert:

also please can we bring back the knuckles raps

They said Crush 40 was working on the soundtrack, so I'm filled with so much hope.

That said, the dubstep is probably Generic Trailer Filler. No need to worry about that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

VJeff posted:

This'll be the first time sine 2006 that literally anybody except Sonic or Blaze will be playable.

Sonic and the Black Knight had Knuckles and Shadow playable.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

The Bee posted:

They said Crush 40 was working on the soundtrack, so I'm filled with so much hope.

That said, the dubstep is probably Generic Trailer Filler. No need to worry about that.

Sonic games have done that for their previews before, I don't think the trailer is at all indicative of the final product's soundtrack.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

alcharagia posted:

Sonic and the Black Knight had Knuckles and Shadow playable.

Pfft, that didn't actually happen, Sonic just made it up to get out of a date with Amy. :colbert:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really hope Knuckles don't get stuck with treasure hunting gameplay again. I just want to punch things, not run around looking for shards.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I really hope Knuckles don't get stuck with treasure hunting gameplay again. I just want to punch things, not run around looking for shards.

Judging from the levels in screenshots and the trailer I'm thinking everyone, no matter who you pick, will be running through the same stages to get to the next world; the only difference being in what routes you take. There are different stage elements everyone can interact with, like classes in the Lego games; different-colored rocks that Knuckles can climb, gaps for Tails to fly over, something only Sonic can do, and Amy with the other thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Judging from the levels in screenshots and the trailer I'm thinking everyone, no matter who you pick, will be running through the same stages to get to the next world; the only difference being in what routes you take. There are different stage elements everyone can interact with, like classes in the Lego games; different-colored rocks that Knuckles can climb, gaps for Tails to fly over, something only Sonic can do, and Amy with the other thing.

Sounds kinda like this one game I used to play called Sonic 3 & Knuckles. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dresh posted:

Sonic games have done that for their previews before, I don't think the trailer is at all indicative of the final product's soundtrack.

Generations used My Chemical Romance for its trailers and Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice for its UK TV spots, while Sonic 4 Episode 2 and Lost World both used music in their trailers that didn't appear in the final games, so this seems to be par for the course with Sonic games of late.

I quite liked the dubstep in the Boom trailer though, and I normally hate dubstep with a passion.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Wild Knight posted:

Well, if the trailer analysis by GameXplain is any indication, he might have ring lasers or something. Which, granted, is still better than bombs.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Why did nobody tell me that this existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNh-jNmKWfY

I mean come on, I shouldve known about this years ago!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The first stage of Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty great, but after that I start to really hate the game... I should have just kept the demo from Phantasy Star Online and played that over and over again. It was great. But oh man, remember the in-game cutscenes? They were so hideous to me with their awkward mouth movements. Even if Sonic Adventure's mouths just seemed to be painted on textures, they were hundreds of times more pleasant to look at.

Gutcruncher posted:

Why did nobody tell me that this existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNh-jNmKWfY

I mean come on, I shouldve known about this years ago!

Haha, I had no idea about this either. That's fantastic.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I don't expect the show will be any good, but if we get more Crush 40 out of it I'm all in. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Grimace posted:

The first stage of Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty great, but after that I start to really hate the game...

The first stage of Sonic Adventure 2 does not contain any of the best part of Sonic Adventure 2.

That starts showing up in the second level.

• Locked thread