Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Knuckles' rap themes are modern masterpieces as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
As far as anyone worthy is concerned, the best Knuckles theme is Pumpkin Hill, followed closely by Aquatic Mine and then Wild Canyon. And then the rest. The best overall SA2 song is, by far, City Escape. And the worst is that stupid times limit Rouge level.

I think this might be alright! I'm not gonna hold my breath and go out and grab a pre-order, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Generations was pretty good.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Sonic for speed, Tails for gadgets/flying, Knuckles for strength/gliding, right?

So if they make Amy play as a psychotic hammer-based force of nature, this could be great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still a sucker for the regular final boss on Sonic/Shadow's routes on Sonic Adventure 2. Just a violent race. Kickass.:c00lbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Cryohazard posted:

Sonic for speed, Tails for gadgets/flying, Knuckles for strength/gliding, right?

So if they make Amy play as a psychotic hammer-based force of nature, this could be great.

Based off the trailer, Amy seems to have athleticism going for her, since she makes progress in some level or other by using her hammer to swing around some bars. She DOES however still use it to smack the crap out of things (and in the same clip, Sonic apparently kicks. On foot).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I see everybody running together in the trailer and I'm getting some Sonic Heroes flashbacks. Sonic Heroes flashbacks are almost like Vietnam flashbacks. Game over man, game over.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

Based off the trailer, Amy seems to have athleticism going for her, since she makes progress in some level or other by using her hammer to swing around some bars. She DOES however still use it to smack the crap out of things (and in the same clip, Sonic apparently kicks. On foot).

They better bring back Amy's hammer somersault from SA1. Dicking around with it was pretty fun.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Sonic Adventure 2 was kind of enjoyable for me except for the Tails and Robotnik stages. Maybe it was because they were much longer than they needed to be but I thought the E-102 stages weren't bad in SA1.

Also, I really liked the Knuckles stages in both games.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought the only poo poo shooting sections is Tails because they're about clunky platforming. E-102 has speed and Robotnik's are all about blowing poo poo up and getting huge combo multipliers, which are more fun.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Hahahaha look at the goons thinking this would be good

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Romero posted:

It may be. We know very little about it after all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Obligatory Knuckles Rap video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8HUVntzrq4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

blackguy32 posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 was kind of enjoyable for me except for the Tails and Robotnik stages. Maybe it was because they were much longer than they needed to be but I thought the E-102 stages weren't bad in SA1.

Also, I really liked the Knuckles stages in both games.

I thought those stages were fine... for Robotnik. But they made absolutely no sense for Tails. His ENTIRE GIMMICK is that he can fly! So you ground him inside of a big robot suit? ?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Macaluso posted:

I thought those stages were fine... for Robotnik. But they made absolutely no sense for Tails. His ENTIRE GIMMICK is that he can fly! So you ground him inside of a big robot suit? ?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!

The design and production resource allocation for the game was entirely built around the Hero/Dark counterpart conceit, where very few mechanical distinctions were required between two opposed characters- it's a tremendous cost-saving mechanism, when it works. The hope was that writing, framing, graphical and level design differences could effectively double the perceived breadth of gameplay. This was why Rouge was invented as a character, and why Tails and Robotnik both get shoehorned into Gamma-esque mechanics. It's also likely part of why Amy was no longer playable. It was a success- kinda. I think people forget how terrible a lot of SA2 was.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

This will always be my favorite youtube video, forever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Sonic Cycle!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
The first step of the Sonic Cycle is a bunch of lovely posts about the Sonic Cycle

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The design and production resource allocation for the game was entirely built around the Hero/Dark counterpart conceit, where very few mechanical distinctions were required between two opposed characters- it's a tremendous cost-saving mechanism, when it works. The hope was that writing, framing, graphical and level design differences could effectively double the perceived breadth of gameplay. This was why Rouge was invented as a character, and why Tails and Robotnik both get shoehorned into Gamma-esque mechanics. It's also likely part of why Amy was no longer playable. It was a success- kinda. I think people forget how terrible a lot of SA2 was.

Going off what I heard in the SA2 Let's Play, the game was originally built only around Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman, presumably with Shadow only as a boss. but when there was fan outcry for more characters/content, Sonic Team made Shadow a reskin of Sonic, Tails as a reskin of Eggman, and Rouge a reskin of Knuckles.

Friendly Factory posted:

The first step of the Sonic Cycle is a bunch of lovely posts about the Sonic Cycle

Screw the Sonic Cycle, I'm aboard the Jak & Daxter cycle, formerly the "will Naughty Dog ever take a break from realistic linear story games in favor of another cartoon platformer" cliffdive.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 20, 2014

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Gammatron 64 posted:

I see everybody running together in the trailer and I'm getting some Sonic Heroes flashbacks. Sonic Heroes flashbacks are almost like Vietnam flashbacks. Game over man, game over.

The Toad stealth level man, god not being seen by those toads was the worst experience.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 20, 2014

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The only reason Adventure 2 was alright was because of the Chao mini game.

I will fight you over this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Going off what I heard in the SA2 Let's Play, the game was originally built only around Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman, presumably with Shadow only as a boss. but when there was fan outcry for more characters/content, Sonic Team made Shadow a reskin of Sonic, Tails as a reskin of Eggman, and Rouge a reskin of Knuckles.

That would explain why they didn't make Eggman fly as a Tails counterpart instead.

Captain Tolerable posted:

The only reason Adventure 2 was alright was because of the Chao mini game.

I will fight you over this.

I still say Sega's sitting on a goldmine with the Chao property.

Okay, here's what I'd do if I were Sega. I'd make a good freemium Chao Garden virtual pet game for phone. Make the Freemium elements not at all obnoxious; enough to earn a bit of dough, but make sure the game is playable and addictive without them - hooking people is key. Then for each future Sonic game I'd allow you to link the game to your phone's Chao Garden; let you earn things for the Chao in-game SA/SA2 style, let you transfer Chao down to in-game gardens to play around with and back up to your phone Garden. Each in-game garden lets you earn new bits and skills and things for Chao unique to that game, new types of Chao, as well as earning Freemium currency for challenges and the like. Keep the phone garden continuously up to date and supporting new games. Basically, addict people to the virtual pets and incentivise playing Sonic games in order to pimp the Chao on their phones out. Hell, you could even integrate the recent older games by allowing it to link to your Steam/Live/PSN/Google Games/Apple Game Center account and award things based on your achievements with games like Generations or the CD/1/2 re-releases.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 20, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Screw the Sonic Cycle, I'm aboard the Jak & Daxter cycle, formerly the "will Naughty Dog ever take a break from realistic linear story games in favor of another cartoon platformer" cliffdive.

Well, now you have two cycles for the price of one!

...Or alternatively two anyway, if you wanted to get both versions of the game for some reason.

Also yes to the above on Chao and mobile games. Of all the aspects of the franchise that could go mobile, the Chao are effectively so removed but also tied in juuuust enough that it wouldn't affect things or alter standards by having them available on mobile devices. They'd be Sonic related, but clearly not the next Sonic game.

And of course, it would provide the perfect place for SEGA to continually inform people of new developments with the franchise. Want to make people aware of when new episodes for Boom are airing? Or where they can watch the trailer for the newest game?

...Admittedly I'm not sure if they do or don't do this with that Sonic eternal runner they released a bit back.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I cant believe the amount of discussion Sonic Boom has managed to generate. seriously guys what is it about this latest likely-to-fail attempt at making sonic relevant again that warrants all this talk?! Unless they do something mindbogglingly amazing with the cartoon or the game (which I highly doubt they will from seeing the previews) this is just gonna be another lame-o sonic Xtreme thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to kick some kittens and sit by the fireplace alone while grumbling and muttering humbugs as I think about how things that I thought were cool when I was five was SO much better than things people consider cool today.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

John Romero posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Chao Garden wasn't that good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

I cant believe the amount of discussion Sonic Boom has managed to generate. seriously guys what is it about this latest likely-to-fail attempt at making sonic relevant again that warrants all this talk?! Unless they do something mindbogglingly amazing with the cartoon or the game (which I highly doubt they will from seeing the previews) this is just gonna be another lame-o sonic Xtreme thing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to kick some kittens and sit by the fireplace alone while grumbling and muttering humbugs as I think about how things that I thought were cool when I was five was SO much better than things people consider cool today.

Source your quotes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SA1 and SA2 are terrible games but I like them because I played them when I was 12.

The Sonic game we really need is a Dr. Eggman spinoff where you go around in a mech doing evil stuff and command little robot henchmen to do your bidding, kinda like Misadventures of Tron Bonne meets SA2. This is because we all know that Dr. Robotnik is the real star of the Sonic franchise and might be the best video game character ever.

That and we need Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Yes, I know they released a game called Sonic 4, I mean I want an actual Sonic 4. As in a new game that is like the New Super Mario Bros. to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That doesn't play like poo poo and has original levels and bosses. Sonic 5.

Those are the two games Sega needs to make. (Sega will never make them.)

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Sonic Generations was good, therefore everything else they make after that will be good right?

RIGHT?

:ohdear:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Sonic Generations was good, therefore everything else they make after that will be good right?

RIGHT?

:ohdear:

Eh, Colors was good so it wasn't a one off. Lost World just wasn't so good. I say it's a coin flip.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

...Admittedly I'm not sure if they do or don't do this with that Sonic eternal runner they released a bit back.

Sonic Dash; it's one of the better Temple Run clones and the only penalty for not using micro-transactions is that it takes longer to snaffle power-ups and new characters (neither of which are necessary). It's still being supported with new characters and features including a couple of boss battles, currently involving Zazz and Eggman.

Sega have recently released a new version of the game in japan called Sonic Dash S, which adds a story mode and character specific abilities. So it isn't a proper Sonic game as such, but more so than something like Sonic Jump.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh, Colors was good so it wasn't a one off. Lost World just wasn't so good. I say it's a coin flip.

Even as someone who generally likes Sonic Lost World, I can more than say its hampered by Sega's attempts to experiment with both 2D and 3D sections with the same Sonic, and not quite making either section as they were in Generations (not to mention being somewhat bad at teaching you how to play). Definitely a step back from Generations.

Hence also one of my main hopes with Sonic Boom - if this takes off and actually does well, it could give Sonic Team more time to safely develop and refine whatever game they're working on, and so avoid the issues of rushing and deadlines that have affected previous releases.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sonic Dash; it's one of the better Temple Run clones and the only penalty for not using micro-transactions is that it takes longer to snaffle power-ups and new characters (neither of which are necessary). It's still being supported with new characters and features including a couple of boss battles, currently involving Zazz and Eggman.

Sega have recently released a new version of the game in japan called Sonic Dash S, which adds a story mode and character specific abilities. So it isn't a proper Sonic game as such, but more so than something like Sonic Jump.

Sonic Jump is closer to a proper Sonic game than Sonic Dash. It has actual levels and worlds that you progress through, complete with collectibles. Dash is just one of those endless score attack games where there's only one level that never ends.

Still waiting for the new world in Sonic Jump. "Coming soon!" it says.... years later. :(

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

We do know that it's a videogame based on a TV show based on videogame and made by a new team. If there were ever a surefire formula for a successful game, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnsn0_w6K9Q

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

We do know that it's a videogame based on a TV show based on videogame and made by a new team. If there were ever a surefire formula for a successful game, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnsn0_w6K9Q

...I now dub this Metal Gear Sonic. Because good god. Was that meant to be a trailer? A pitch for the game?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Because they've always called him that in Japan. His name and some of the elements of his design owes a lot to John Lennon's "Sgt Pepper" period, but when Sega USA was a young company they shied away from satirical references to the Beatles more than they do now.

I thought his design is mainly inspired by Teddy Roosevelt? The thick mustache and glasses are both pretty reminiscent of him. Apparently a lot of the Eggman concepts looked a lot more like roosevelt than he does now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Saturday morning cartoon is really odd. I thought it was pretty cool as a kid, but after watching it again it just comes across feeling really weird tonally. You have a dark, post apocalyptic show with... fuzzy animals? I get that it was the 90's and they were going for some X-TREME but there's just a disconnect there. But when I was 5, I thought it was pretty hardcore.

The character designs are pretty mediocre too. Sonic himself feels really out of place in the show and almost seems like he's a different art style than the rest of the characters, except for Uncle Chuck, who is just Sonic with a mustache (and sometimes a robot). Sonic's the only one who's an odd color, stylized and has any powers - the rest of the Freedom Fighters are all kind of useless. As a kid, I always thought it was weird that Princess Sally, Bunnie and Rotor and the like had a huge role in the show and comics but never the games (and I was disappointed that Knuckles and Metal Sonic were no where to be seen in the shows). Although it wasn't until much later that I realized they were actually based on the animals you rescue from the robots in Sonic 1.

Also I kind of blame SatAM and Princess Sally for creating furries.

Robotnik was pretty badass in it, although he still kind of works better as the gigantic hammy buffoon he is in everything else as opposed to a serious villain.

AHungryRobot posted:

I thought his design is mainly inspired by Teddy Roosevelt? The thick mustache and glasses are both pretty reminiscent of him. Apparently a lot of the Eggman concepts looked a lot more like roosevelt than he does now.

He was. And Sonic was inspired by Bill Clinton. (No poo poo.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

...I now dub this Metal Gear Sonic. Because good god. Was that meant to be a trailer? A pitch for the game?

It was a proof of concept, but it never went further than that (you can find the demo on ROM sites if you want to play it though). You can also find a few sketches floating around the internet of Sonic Mars for the Sega Saturn, also based on the Archie series and also went absolutely nowhere.

We did get Sonic Spinball, which I believe is officially based on the Archie series (and features a similar animation style to Sonic SatAM up there).

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 21, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

SA1 and SA2 are terrible games but I like them because I played them when I was 12.

Pretty much.

Gammatron 64 posted:

That and we need Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Yes, I know they released a game called Sonic 4, I mean I want an actual Sonic 4. As in a new game that is like the New Super Mario Bros. to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That doesn't play like poo poo and has original levels and bosses. Sonic 5.

Sonic 4 was dreadful, but at least Sonic Advance was a little bit closer to being a proper follow-up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It gave you four characters with unique movesets to play through the same stages, which were close to what they were capable of in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Knuckles could actually swim in water, Amy hitting a spring with her hammer would send you much further, etc.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Holy loving poo poo, when did this happen? I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Saturday morning cartoon is really odd. I thought it was pretty cool as a kid, but after watching it again it just comes across feeling really weird tonally. You have a dark, post apocalyptic show with... fuzzy animals? I get that it was the 90's and they were going for some X-TREME but there's just a disconnect there. But when I was 5, I thought it was pretty hardcore.

The character designs are pretty mediocre too. Sonic himself feels really out of place in the show and almost seems like he's a different art style than the rest of the characters, except for Uncle Chuck, who is just Sonic with a mustache (and sometimes a robot). Sonic's the only one who's an odd color, stylized and has any powers - the rest of the Freedom Fighters are all kind of useless. As a kid, I always thought it was weird that Princess Sally, Bunnie and Rotor and the like had a huge role in the show and comics but never the games (and I was disappointed that Knuckles and Metal Sonic were no where to be seen in the shows). Although it wasn't until much later that I realized they were actually based on the animals you rescue from the robots in Sonic 1.

Also I kind of blame SatAM and Princess Sally for creating furries.

Robotnik was pretty badass in it, although he still kind of works better as the gigantic hammy buffoon he is in everything else as opposed to a serious villain.
I maintain that Adventures was the better of the two cartoons :colbert:

• Locked thread