Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey what about Sonic Undergroahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Rorus Raz posted:

I maintain that Adventures was the better of the two cartoons :colbert:

Agreed, it was funny and a lot closer to the actual games.

The best Sonic cartoon ever though has to be Sonic: the Movie, though. Straaaaange isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfsgwjLQD4

As a kid though, I really loved the Archie comics best and subscribed to them from their release to a little after the time SA2 was released. I thought they were great, but I went ahead and re-read some of them for a nostalgia kick and well... they don't hold up. I liked it how they would directly adapt the games, though. I.E. there was a Sonic CD issue, a Triple Trouble issue, a Chaotix issue and so on.

That loving Sned posted:

Sonic 4 was dreadful, but at least Sonic Advance was a little bit closer to being a proper follow-up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It gave you four characters with unique movesets to play through the same stages, which were close to what they were capable of in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Knuckles could actually swim in water, Amy hitting a spring with her hammer would send you much further, etc.

Yeah, Sonic Advance was the closest thing to a proper Sonic 4 we'll ever get. It's a lot shorter than Sonic 2 and 3, though. It's kind of like... Sonic 3.5? It's a shame the rest of the portable games didn't play like Advance 1. Advance 2 is when Dimps Sonic games became "hold right to win".

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

The best Sonic cartoon ever though has to be Sonic: the Movie, though. Straaaaange isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEfsgwjLQD4
drat straight. Had a swanky-rear end ost too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGG88PSlWo

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

That and we need Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Yes, I know they released a game called Sonic 4, I mean I want an actual Sonic 4. As in a new game that is like the New Super Mario Bros. to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That doesn't play like poo poo and has original levels and bosses. Sonic 5.
I really liked how classic Sonic played in Generations. If they could take that as a base and have the same level designers give us some original worlds it would make for a great Sonic 5.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

J-Spot posted:

I really liked how classic Sonic played in Generations. If they could take that as a base and have the same level designers give us some original worlds it would make for a great Sonic 5.

Agreed. Classic Sonic in Generations wasn't 100% the same as the Genesis games, but it was close enough. It sure played a hell of a lot better than Sonic 4. If you took Classic Sonic from Generations, threw him into some brand new levels, threw in Tails and Knuckles and called it Sonic 5, I would be happy with that. They don't have to do a Mega Man 9 where it looks and sounds like the Genesis games. They just have to get the feel down.

I play Sonic 4, and I think "what's the point of this?" Sonic 4 Episode 1 is shorter than Sonic 1 (it only has four zones), all four zones are taken directly from Sonic 1 and 2, all the enemies and bosses are straight out of Sonic 1 and 2, and it plays a whole lot worse. Congrats, you just spent $15 for Sonic 1, except it's worse in every way. Why would you play this game when Sonic 1 and 2 already exist?

Episode 2 at least had some original zones, even though they still ripped of Sky Chase \ Wing Fortress for one of them, and overall the game just felt kind of mediocre and underwhelming. And you couldn't combine both into one big game like Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Wasn't the ~2012 Sonic CD totally recoded by some guy? I still don't understand why they can't just use that code.

And yes, Sonic didn't have the same loosey-goosey feel of the original Genesis titles in Generations, but it didn't matter so much because the game was fun to play with good levels.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The Grimace posted:

Wasn't the ~2012 Sonic CD totally recoded by some guy? I still don't understand why they can't just use that code.

And yes, Sonic didn't have the same loosey-goosey feel of the original Genesis titles in Generations, but it didn't matter so much because the game was fun to play with good levels.

Yeah, and they let him do something similar to Sonic 2, though it's only out on phones as of now iirc. The most surprising part of it was that they let him add an entirely new level: Hidden Palace Zone, from the Sonic 2 beta!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Xad posted:

Yeah, and they let him do something similar to Sonic 2, though it's only out on phones as of now iirc. The most surprising part of it was that they let him add an entirely new level: Hidden Palace Zone, from the Sonic 2 beta!

Holy poo poo, really? That is so loving awesome. Another instance of me being sad at not having a smart phone. :negative:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Xad posted:

The fact that it's only on smart phones is just the worst. I'm not playing a platformer on a phone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xad posted:

Yeah, and they let him do something similar to Sonic 2, though it's only out on phones as of now iirc.

Sonic 1 on phones, too. They replaced the horrendous iOS emulated Sonic 1 with his version and now it has a spindash option and all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Macaluso posted:

The fact that it's only on smart phones is just the worst. I'm not playing a platformer on a phone

It isn't as bad as you'd think - there's only a d-pad and one button, so it's perfectly playable. It's definitely worth the money for everything you get - widescreen, 60fps, new characters with a couple of redesigned levels to accommodate their abilities, vastly improved special stages, better visual effects, achievements and more.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It isn't as bad as you'd think - there's only a d-pad and one button, so it's perfectly playable. It's definitely worth the money for everything you get - widescreen, 60fps, new characters with a couple of redesigned levels to accommodate their abilities, vastly improved special stages, better visual effects, achievements and more.

I could understand this for Sonic 1, but doing the spindash with a virtual d-pad sounds like a nightmare. I could probably pair some blutooth controller with my phone, but that kinda defeats the whole point of it being on a smartphone. I might just do that to try out the new Hidden Palace though.

At least I can play Sonic 1 and 2 through the PSP's Megadrive collection on the Vita, but I'd love to have Sonic CD and 3&K on there as well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sonic 1 on iOS, in addition to having the spindash, also has Tails and Knuckles playable (as well as Tails following Sonic). It's a shame these Sonic 1 and 2 remakes are only for phones and not Steam or 360\PS3.

Rumor has it that Christian Whitehead might do a Sonic 3&K remake given that his track record is so good on Sonic 1/2/CD. What we really need is Sonic 5, and have him work on the team. It would be awesome to have a full length, Sonic 2/3K sized game with brand new zones and Sonic\Tails\Knuckles\Amy playable.

I like the modern Sonic in Unleashed\Colors\Generations, but Classic Sonic is the Sonic we all really love.

Maruyama
Aug 8, 2008
I'd like to see Taxman do an all new 2D Sonic game too, but can we not call it Sonic 5? I'd like to pretend Sonic 4 doesn't exist, or if it does, it's Sonic Advance 1.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Maruyama posted:

I'd like to see Taxman do an all new 2D Sonic game too, but can we not call it Sonic 5? I'd like to pretend Sonic 4 doesn't exist, or if it does, it's Sonic Advance 1.

If they ever make another quality 2d Sonic, it should be called Sonic and Knuckles 2.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maruyama posted:

They should just make a new game called Sonic 4, and pretend that the actual Sonic 4 didn't happen.

Or like... call it Sonic 4ever or Sonic Tetra or Sonic 4th Strike or something. Then when they actually do make a Sonic 5, they can just say it's a sequel to that game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Spacebump posted:

If they ever make another quality 2d Sonic, it should be called Sonic and Knuckles 2.

Sonic 5 & Knucles 2 :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sonic 5 & Knucles 2 :colbert:

The point of calling it Sonic and Knuckles 2 is to avoid referencing Sonic 4 in any way.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Call it Retro Sonic.

It's a shame he stopped working on this when SEGA hired him.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like the modern Sonic in Unleashed\Colors\Generations, but Classic Sonic is the Sonic we all really love.

Yeah... About that...

*twiddles thumbs*

Blame Chemical Plant, it kept me from getting invested.

That said, I think part of the issue with Sonic 4's design is how sort of... disconnected, it is. Like, Sonic's very clearly a 3D model layered over a 2D landscape, one that's almost too clean. As a comparison:

And then there's level scale. Generations doesn't actually remake Green Hill Zone as it was in the original game, but instead, spreads it out a bit, and adjusts Sonic's scale, allowing him to be able to move faster across a more vast level. This video is the best comparison I can find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1EgjopvEE

Just look at long it takes to get from the start, to the first platform.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mmmm, speak for yourself, there, buddy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I had an NES, SNES, N64/PS1, and then Gamecube/PS2, so to me 'classic' sonic is the one from the Adventure games.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gammatron 64 posted:

I never played a 2D sonic until Generation's classic levels. When I think of 'the sonic we love', I think of City Escape's music.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

VJeff posted:

Mmmm, speak for yourself, there, buddy.

WHOOOOOOH GO WHOOOOOOH WHOOOOOOH FEELING GOOD

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

StevenM posted:

That was in Unleashed, not Generations

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Grimace posted:

And yes, Sonic didn't have the same loosey-goosey feel of the original Genesis titles in Generations

And good, because after Generations I went back to the original titles and they control like poo poo.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

StevenM posted:

Unironically miss this.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do people actually not like the lyrical Sonic songs from the 3D/Modern era? They are all pretty much amazing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StevenM posted:

*mashes X button*

WOHSSHWOHSSHWOHSSHWOHSSSHWOHSSSH

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do people actually not like the lyrical Sonic songs from the 3D/Modern era? They are all pretty much amazing.
I vastly prefer Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack, but I do have a tiny soft spot for Crush 40.

I loved Sonic Rush's soundtrack, but for some reason I feel like that's an unpopular opinion.

WRAPPED WRAPPED WRAPPED IN BLACK

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
That's not an unpopular opinion because Hideki Naganuma owns. :colbert:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

And good, because after Generations I went back to the original titles and they control like poo poo.

Definitely can't agree there, but that's because I'm really good at controlling the old Sonics. It promoted a very good representation of acceleration and deceleration over time.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

VJeff posted:

*mashes X button*

WOHSSHWOHSSHWOHSSHWOHSSSHWOHSSSH

Better than the final boss level of Generations:

I THINK THATS A HOMING ATTACK! WATCH OUT FOR THE HOMING ATTACK SONIC! OMG HOMING ATTACK! HES LAUNGHING A HOMING ATTACK! HOMING ATTACK!

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Better than the final boss level of Generations:

I THINK THATS A HOMING ATTACK! WATCH OUT FOR THE HOMING ATTACK SONIC! OMG HOMING ATTACK! HES LAUNGHING A HOMING ATTACK! HOMING ATTACK!

Every time I get close to remembering Generations' final boss, I just mentally replace it with Color's instead.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
I'm assuming this is the general Sonic thread right now. I'm trying out the demo for Lost World right now and digging it. Is the game gonna throw any kind of 'Werehog' surprises at me and give me the bait and switch or is what I'm playing right now what I'm gonna be seeing if I get the full package?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

I'm assuming this is the general Sonic thread right now. I'm trying out the demo for Lost World right now and digging it. Is the game gonna throw any kind of 'Werehog' surprises at me and give me the bait and switch or is what I'm playing right now what I'm gonna be seeing if I get the full package?

Lost world isn't a bad game at all, but it's not an easy one either. It really demands that the player actually learn how to play the game in order to get the most enjoyment out of it, and it doesn't throw nearly as many lives your way as the recent Mario platformers. And the difficulty isn't really from bad design like in 2006 or anything, it's just legitimately tough. I well admit though, that I still prefer the Unleashed/Colors/Generations style of gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgVcuXruw4

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

Some of the issues with lives mentioned by Dresh above me have been mitigated thanks to SEGA patching in the 100 rings = a life thing again (twas originally absent in the game), but otherwise, its certainly the only Sonic game where I've had to actively grind for the things.

Otherwise though, its a mixed bag game, more good instead of great I would say, but there's still a lot of good stuff in it despite its flaws. When running through levels, especially early ones, make sure to stop if the gamepad makes a noise or you see a gamepad icon on the screen - that's the tutorial stuff, and they're mostly location sensitive. The gameplay won't suddenly shift like the werehog stuff in Unleashed, but some levels are either all 2D, or will have 2D and 3D sections - but unlike the '2.5D' of previous games, it doesn't do a smooth transition between the two, it loads them as different sections of the levels.

If you're liking the demo overall, I think you'll like the game, but don't be afraid to ask for tips if need be, especially later on in the game where the designers did seem to assume too much about how obvious certain design choices are.

Seriously the whole thing with Zavok and the full charge shot is just blah.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

New video with Sonic Boom gameplay and behind the scenes stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK6uQyteDOU

NUCLES

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

graphcs still look really bad. Like, Gamecube era textures bad. Everything is so flat and bright that it makes it look like they're giant plastic toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wait, they're replacing Tails' voice again?

• Locked thread