Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

lol she's so wackyrandom :lol:

It's that part of the Sonic cycle where they add new friends and it starts looking bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Seriously, if the name weren't already taken they could have just named her Cheese the Monkey and be done with it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I think I'm done with Sonic Boom all of a sudden

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why do they do these kind of videos, where the actor tells us how to feel about their character? I've yet to see a single one that isn't boring, cringeworthy and just kind of weird to sit through.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
:gonk: She sounds like a 40-year-old chain smoker trying to be cute.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Could the have picked a worse voice for her? I love how the voice actress says "she is funny without trying to be" but then literally a second later there's a clip of her doing just that (well not funny but)

Also apparently she's a badger?? I know Sonic and Knuckles don't even come close to looking like their animal counterparts but put like a snout on her or something

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
She really just looks like Marine if her face got smashed in one of Robotnik's deadly speed traps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I found her male counterpart!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No SEGA turn leeeeeeeeeft :(

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ImpAtom posted:

I found her male counterpart!

...Man, I actually enjoyed the hell out of the Ty games as a kid. Kaboomerangs were awesome.

But yeah, the only thing really... badger-y, about Sticks, is the pattern on her head - but she's not even the right colour scheme (I realise, this being Sonic and all), so it doesn't seem immediately obvious.

To be honest, what interests me more than anything else about her is the detail in her clothing. Its really apparent when they overlay her next to the promotional image, but her clothes have more detail to them than the others.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What are those... things coming out of the side of her head? I guess it's just hair?

Why?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Well, what's one more annoying ball of hair hanging off of this franchise? The cast of this series has set a pretty low bar for characters.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
It's weird that Sega had pretty much eliminated the annoying new character thing but another studio comes in and ruins it again

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like, I almost like the idea of having this core cast of four who's known each other forever and then introducing a new character who's been used to living in the wild for so long and doesn't understand this strange emotion you call friendship but drat, does she have to sound so drat annoying?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder how much they are going to make from the sonic/furry weirdos from deviant art.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

DrManiac posted:

I wonder how much they are going to make from the sonic/furry weirdos from deviant art.

Very little in terms of cash, but probably a lifetime's worth of images that cannot be unseen if they have any contact with them.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I am shocked and appalled at the idea of a dark and edgy Sonic movie.

I can't wait.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Regy Rusty posted:

What are those... things coming out of the side of her head? I guess it's just hair?

Why?

It's all the rage when it comes to those SEGA boomerang chicks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In Sonic's world, every character is Poochie.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In Sonic's world, every character is Poochie.

Except, they never loving leave to go back to their home planets... :negative: ever

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Blaze did.

No wait, then she came back. Then she stopped existing. Then she re-existed after they changed the course of history. Then they went to her planet, then she just started turning up whenever they needed a warm body for the Olympics or hoverboarding or whatever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://blogs.sega.com/2014/06/02/sonic-boom-games-at-e3-2014/

Here's the villain: Lyric.

Also titles: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric on Wii U (Big Red Button) and Sonic Boom: Shattered Memories on 3DS (Sanzaru Games)

The riveting story:

quote:

In both games, Sonic and friends – Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the newest member of the team, Sticks, will work together as they face their most powerful enemy yet. Lyric is a giant and monstrous snake-like creature from an ancient race. An extremely tech-savvy mastermind who uses a sophisticated robotic body of armor to carry out his own nefarious deeds, he is a formidable enemy and a force to be reckoned with. With a strong emphasis on collaboration, the roles of Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks, will be elevated in gameplay that capitalizes on each character’s unique talents and abilities. The goal is to prevent Lyric from powering his army of robots and carrying out his plan to destroy the world. The stakes have never been higher, and the only chance to overcome Lyric is to band together and work as a team.

Rise of Lyric details:

quote:

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric will deliver a different experience than past titles. The detailed levels and emphasis on each character’s unique abilities will showcase the distinctive feel of an action- adventure game, giving players more choice in exploration as they work as a team to stop the deadly snake-like ancient villain, Lyric, before he can power up his army. The gameplay will challenge players with over-the-top speed runs, but the heart of the game will focus on intense combat and brand-new abilities including the Enerbeam. This new feature in the game gives players an energy-charged cord that can be used by characters to navigate the world like never before. Players will be able to swing or zip-line across gaps, explore alternate paths, grab and throw enemies and take away their shields in combat.

SM details:

quote:

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal is a standalone adventure that shares key characters, events and lore of the Sonic Boom universe with exclusive environments and characters. For the first time ever, gamers will be able to take on the role of Sticks, the newest member of the team who will play an integral role in the story after her best friend Amy gets kidnapped by the ancient villain Lyric. While the Wii U version is focused on action-adventure and exploration, Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal will place a bigger emphasis on platforming and puzzles. Additionally, unique collectibles featured in the Nintendo 3DS version will unlock special content on Wii U via Wi-Fi connectivity.

Both released November 2014

Edit: Video previews

Wii U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWdDO5jVeA

3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DrOUSgBkVzM

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Gonna be all the rage with the kids.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kurtofan posted:

Sonic Boom: Shattered Memories on 3DS (Sanzaru Games)

Imagine if Climax Games made a Sonic-themed adventure game. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The All 4 One comparisons keep looking valid, although I guess there's also a player skill logic gating component. So, Sonic Heroes?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Soon we're gonna see, "what if Sonic had a toy component like Skylanders?" You know it's coming.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Why they gotta kidnap the token female character Amy on the 3DS game? Couldn't kidnap Tails or something?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

Why they gotta kidnap the token female character Amy on the 3DS game? Couldn't kidnap Tails or something?

Because how else are they supposed to focus on the new token female but by having the current one absent?

Really is an admittedly dumb move, though at least the 3DS game seems to be polishing up. If I had to guess, its probably using the older builds of Sonic 3DS games as a starting point, compared to the Wii U version which, being made with the crytek engine and all, has had to be done from the ground up.

Speaking of, that game needs some serious optimisation. Not just in addition to all the stuff laid out in the Gamexplain video, but look during the speed section - the camera stutters in following Sonic along. Unleashed had this figured out six years ago, so there's no reason the camera shouldn't be moving smoothly in the final release.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sooo if the WiiU version featured 2 slow brawler levels and just one fast level, does this mean we're getting Sonic: WiiUnleashed, but with, hopefully, less jazz? Good thing the 3DS version is finally looking like something that's fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Uuuuuuuuuugh that combat is looking awfully Unleashed/Heroes-y. Why couldn't they just make a game of speed and platforming? :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kikas posted:

but with, hopefully, less jazz?

That would make it even worse, though. :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

Tails was fantastic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, while Amy in the Sonic Advance series was either a self-imposed handicap, or a clone of Sonic.

Not that I have any hope of them returning to S3&K's gameplay. It's probably going to be Sonic Rush with a new coat of paint again.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

JordanKai posted:

That would make it even worse, though. :(

The point is Unleashed should have had more of this and less of this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Aww man, videos are gone already.

Kikas posted:

Sooo if the WiiU version featured 2 slow brawler levels and just one fast level, does this mean we're getting Sonic: WiiUnleashed, but with, hopefully, less jazz? Good thing the 3DS version is finally looking like something that's fun.

While Big Red Button has done literally no games they do consist of R&C J&K devs, and I do like me some Ratchet & Clank Jak & Daxter (shut up it's the other big western platforming franchise which is named after two characters) combat. So I hope we get something like Unleashed except this time with devs who know how to make combat in games fun.

Also there is no way the 3DS version will be good. The handheld version is never good.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 2, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Amppelix posted:

While Big Red Button has done literally no games they do consist of R&C devs, and I do like me some Ratchet & Clank combat. So I hope we get something like Unleashed except this time with devs who know how to make combat in games fun.

Also there is no way the 3DS version will be good. The handheld version is never good.

To be fair, the handheld versions have also always been dimps. We don't know yet if those versions are bad because it's intrinsic to handheld Sonic or because dimps.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Amppelix posted:

While Big Red Button has done literally no games they do consist of R&C devs, and I do like me some Ratchet & Clank combat. So I hope we get something like Unleashed except this time with devs who know how to make combat in games fun.

You never know, the Boom games (if otherwise successful commercially) could end up the opposite. Then we can add even more silly rules for how we measure this franchise.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Amppelix posted:

While Big Red Button has done literally no games they do consist of R&C J&K devs, and I do like me some Ratchet & Clank Jak & Daxter (shut up it's the other big western platforming franchise which is named after two characters) combat. So I hope we get something like Unleashed except this time with devs who know how to make combat in games fun.

The GameXplain guy who posted and narrated the videos said he got to play both, and he liked the 3DS game a lot more.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I quite like Lyric's design; it's definitely a change, although I'm curious how Eggman comes into all of this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

According to the GameXplain dude the 3DS version is similar to a metroidvania. That's... strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

That's probably the most interesting take away in this, and admittedly, I kinda like it. For those who really liked Sonic's older style of exploration of various levels and such, it could provide an interesting alternative - sure, you could just blaze through fast as possible to reach the next area, but do you really want to miss all the goodies?

• Locked thread