Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Slydingdoor, I need to know where those pics are from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Quartermaster's Bonds:
Milliner Rose and I both have trouble functioning in society.
Kozu Cain would be dead if it weren't for me.
I'm glad there was no one like Hex Stallamagus in the arena.
Brunch Fiddles doubts my abilities. I'll have to show him what I can do.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Couple of little things.

Firstly, Slyding can you pop your book uses in the thing you do at the start of each post (should be 4/5 now if I'm reading your stuff correctly).

Secondly, I know you can sort of separate posts into what your dude is doing and what other people are doing, but in games like this one you pretty much have to read everything. I hope that's okay with everybody. There will be times I spell something out in one bit of the post, then just refer back to it in the bit concerning your dude.

Thirdly, you can do things in the past if you haven't posted since something has happened. For instance it'd be great to hear what the guys who haven't posted yet think as they first approach and they are welcome to roll for stuff at the start of their post and then be all "when the insects swarm, my dude does this."

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Hey, wonderful! Glad to be with you guys. Sorry about the lack of any early posting! Leave the computer behind for just a day, and you come back to a huge blob of enthusiasm you missed out on. I've got my Bonds done, and I'm working on typing up a gamethread post now.

Milliner Rose's Bonds
Brunch Fiddles was nearly taken by them, once. I wonder if he knows this?
I think life has been unkind to the Quartermaster too.
I don't trust Hex. Is he (she? it?) working for them, or does he see the Truth?
I doubt Kozu Cain has ever experienced true tribulation.

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 16, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Congrats to everyone who got in! I'll be watching this one; maybe I'll get in on the next one.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Flame112 asked a good question in the IRC.

Flame112> do we still have to worry about the floor
CaptIndigo> oooh good question - im going to say no
CaptIndigo> because the situation is no longer charged, you can take your time and be safe

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I can't get on irc right now, how exactly does poultice & herbs work? Let me know if I need to roll, I'll edit it in if so.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
No roll, just mark a use (out of 2) and heal 7. "Slow" tag means it takes a few minutes to use, ie it's for out of combat only.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cool, thanks

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

More excellent maps!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Doctor_Idle, I apologize for repeatedly mis-gendering your lady.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
It's ok Haha. in-character, she's a tomboy and used to people mistaking her for a dude. Sorry for being quiet. I'll have a post up in a while. Wrapping up some month end stuffs at work.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Sorry about the recent quiet - real life kind of came up and punched me in the face this weekend. I'll have a post up tomorrow, I hope. Everybody okay with how I've been playing things?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Doctor Idle posted:

It's ok Haha. in-character, she's a tomboy and used to people mistaking her for a dude. Sorry for being quiet. I'll have a post up in a while. Wrapping up some month end stuffs at work.

Alumnus Post posted:

Sorry about the recent quiet - real life kind of came up and punched me in the face this weekend. I'll have a post up tomorrow, I hope. Everybody okay with how I've been playing things?

That's cool, life happens. I'll probably wait for Doc to post then move on and Alumnus you can catch up when you have a spare minute. Hope everything is okay. And yeah, I have no problem with how you're playing Milliner.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It's all good, fellas. I took a few days off from thinking about PbP this weekend and it was kinda nice. Also, Doctor Idle, that new Yung Lean avatar is straight killing it.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Haha thanks Something Else, That Swedish youth puts genuine smiles on my face for some odd reason.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Well, apparently, I was supposed to spend an extra stat point when I made my guy. My wisdom is now 9. Thanks, slydingdoor.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Whoops! My bad! Sorry!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Slydingdoor, that Gabe Kills tumblr haha.

e: his hands are messy.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Quartermaster's Bonds:
Milliner Rose and I both have trouble functioning in society.
Kozu Cain would be dead if it weren't for me.
I'm glad there was no one like Hex Stallamagus in the arena.

I think the bonds with Kozu and Brunch are pretty resolved. Maybe Brunch disagrees but Quartermaster definitely thinks he's proven himself to Brunch.

New bonds:
I risked my life for Kozu, and in return she left me hanging!
Brunch's agility in combat is remarkable, he could probably teach me something useful.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain

quote:

Bonds
I can’t remember if it was Brunch Fiddles or me that got us kicked out of town that time.
Hex can stick their disapproving looks up their arse! I see through those swirling stars!
Quartermaster’s got guts! I’m glad they’re on my side.

I propose:

quote:

Turns out Snake Lady Milliner Rose isn't the nut I thought she was.
Quartermaster's trust in me has been shaken because I let him down.
Hex Stellamagus a.k.a. Starface, could show me a thing or two about magic.

Something Else I don't know how we resolve a memory of getting kicked out of a city, Kozu would look back on such exploits as joyous and imagines they were inebriated, raucous or in dispute(perhaps all three), but I don't know how it will be resolved.

Also sorry for not taking a bond with you earlier, Alumnus Post. I foolishly believed I had three and I had four.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Alright, updated Bonds! I decided to say 'screw it' and update Quartermaster's too. I swear I didn't intend to make basically a D&D version of River Tam, it just sort of came out that way. Is there anything y'all think I should be doing more (or less) of? Am I too verbose? :v:

quote:

Bonds:
I think Brunch Fiddles is almost more scared of me than he is of Babel. It's kinda funny. :mmmhmm:
I want Quartermaster at my back when They finally come for me. He knows what it's like to be a slave.
Hex has proven himself a trustworthy ally, although a bit clueless about how people work. Still, he's almost too friendly...it's a little creepy sometimes. What's he really after?
Kozu knows the Truth now. I hope I can trust her to be smart with it.

And just for the record, this is the best DW game I see on these forums right now. No lie. Incredibly fast-paced for a PbP, great party dynamics, well-written fiction from everybody, well-played characters - we've got it all! If this doesn't balloon into a full-fledged campaign I will be very disappointed. :colbert:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Alumnus Post posted:

Is there anything y'all think I should be doing more (or less) of? Am I too verbose? :v:

Hang out in IRC with the rest of us!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I resolved Hex's bond with Q in the fiction, but I'm hoping everyone's going on a peyote quest can help me resolve the other two and get some replacements.

Alumnus Post posted:

And just for the record, this is the best DW game I see on these forums right now. No lie. Incredibly fast-paced for a PbP, great party dynamics, well-written fiction from everybody, well-played characters - we've got it all! If this doesn't balloon into a full-fledged campaign I will be very disappointed. :colbert:

Get in irc again! It's such a tease when someone hangs out and is cool during apps then never comes back during the game. Can't speak for Indigo but I feel so used.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
I don't actually see the IRC information anywhere, or remember what it was. :shobon:
e: never mind, I'm a moron

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Sorry for the delay right now gang, work has been crazy the past couple days, including today. I've seen everything so far, but won't have time to write a post/do bonds until late tonight, 4/5 hours from now.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

That's fine. It's my bed time soon anyway! Take your time and don't sweat it too much. Life gets busy sometimes.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quartermaster posted:

to
Brunch's agility in combat is remarkable, he could probably teach me something useful.

Brunch has been sufficiently entertained by the gladiator's talents! And yes, I suspect Brunch will have something to teach Quartermaster about how to fight when his arsenal is depleted... (hint: it involves knees)

Kozu Cain posted:

Something Else I don't know how we resolve a memory of getting kicked out of a city, Kozu would look back on such exploits as joyous and imagines they were inebriated, raucous or in dispute(perhaps all three), but I don't know how it will be resolved.

I feel like Brunch would insist that it was he who had gotten them kicked out - after inciting a bar brawl and walking out unscathed. But Kozu insists she got them kicked out because of something she did? Maybe someone remembers, or a 3rd party clears it up, or we both claim credit for something even bigger. Let's play it out!

Milliner Rose posted:

Brunch Fiddles was nearly taken by them, once. I wonder if he knows this?
to
I think Brunch Fiddles is almost more scared of me than he is of Babel. It's kinda funny. :mmmhmm:

Hell yeah, the first one is definitely resolved. Brunch has seen a side of the Reptilians he never knew! :krakken: And, yeah, well, since Brunch isn't afraid of Babel at all, that makes sense! So there.

Brunch posted:

The Quartermaster's fighting style is too haphazard - I'll be carrying his body out of here in no time.
Hex has peeled back the fabric of reality and seen the inner clockwork - there is much I can learn from... it.
Some of my best friends growing up were Reptilian. Miliner Rose must be mistaken.
Kozu Cain might seem young, but she's saved my rear end before.

I don't feel like I've resolved the bonds with Hex or Kozu yet, but the stage seems set for it.

Quartermaster can actually be quite graceful under all that tin. I wonder if he can survive without it.
Milliner was right about the Reptilians, those bastards. I'll help her in her struggle whenever I can!

Alumnus Post posted:

This is easily the best DW game I've played in thus far! But then I've only ever GM'd it 2 or 3 times in person, and been a player via PBP.

Something Else fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 21, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Going on a road trip for a 2-3 days starting tomorrow morning, then I'll have more limited internet access for the next month, be on CDT phone posting and probably not on irc. Told indigo he can run Hex as a hireling or npc or whatever, but I trust all of you to write him too. Don't make me regret it!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
I just want to take a moment to point out the quality of these posts you all are making.

Wow.
:munch:

That doesn't even do it justice haha. Awesome posting all around, but I actually went 'what?' at my screen Alumnus Post, amazing effect.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 9, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I think it's fair to say that you clowns are bordering on the homestretch right now. Our month long campaign is just a few days short of two months long, with some important stuff left to do. Will Cornelius Babel fall?

I've mentioned before that I intend to push this game into full campaign mode and I am hoping that our intrepid party will continue as a group. If you wish to bowl out after this game, then that is fine, we have enjoyed having you and there will be people who want in so it's cool. If not, then I hope you are all looking forward to exploring a rich world of boring NPCs and unpronounceable fantasy locations!

---

The World

After years of civil war over the one-kingdom continent, the victorious king divided his newly gained land into four pieces and declared that the kingdom would never be a single entity again. The East he gave to his older son - a decorated and chivalrous war hero. The West he gave to his daughter - a kind and caring ruler adored by the people. The South he gave to his then infant son with the hope that responsibility would forge a brave and erudite man from the boy. The north, or central kingdom, he gave to the brother who had helped him win the war. He declared on his death bed that no man would be king or Queen again.

Fifteen years later, peace has ruled. Now, explorers have found a new continent to the East, and rumors are already beginning to spread over who it is will rule The New World.

Locations:

Abraj: Southern Kingdom ruled by Prince Prospero.
Danjag: Unremarkable border town with few defining features. Average in every way. Where The Bounty Hunters live.
Eastwatch: Eastern Kingdom ruled by Prince Tybalt.
Fidara: Gretchen's body is buried here...but it was only discovered recently. How come? Also gold sprouts from the ground or so they say!
Freepoint: Where explorers landed on The New World a few years back. You know nothing about it.
Hol: Fortified city for centuries. One ancient mech protects it. Racially diverse.
Ghal Haram: Border-desert city. Enormous temple to a phoenix god with few believers. Last trade hub before The Red Desert.
Kal Karam: Desert city. Gladiators. Giant Insects. Sultans and Djinns.
Illian: Western Kingdom ruled by Princess Juliet.
Marafen: Cosmopolitan, predominantly human. Technological archaic. Isolationist. Cults. Magitech. Gunpowder.
Neonero: Not-Wild West Frontier. Cactus. Riverboat Gamblers. Snakes, horses, eagles. Giant animal colossi.
Oakstride: Jungle village that walks. How? Maybe we'll find out.
Ostravic: Gothic Not-Germany. Vampires and thick forests.
Por'vell: Technologically-advanced city-state built atop the ruins of an ancient Elven utopia.
Qialas: Island formation. Home to to tribal trolls and lizard men.
Summercrest: Northern or Central Kingdom ruled by Lord Banquo.
Talon's Peak: Not-Tibet. Dwarven marital artists. Subterranean Reptillians. Skaven Hordes. Statues, jungles and mountains.
The Frijlands: Frozen Tundras. Ice fishing. Giants and dwarves and vikings. Insular.

People:
Blind Pete: Representative of The Adventurer's Guild in charge of posting bounties.
Bones: Skeletal valet to Cornelius Babel. *WONK*
Lord Banquo "The Basilisk": The former King's brother. Grizzled. Old. Battle-scarred.
Princess Juliet "The Rose": Twin sister of Tybalt. Kind. Careful. Adored.
Prince Prospero "The Cherub": Youngest Prince. Pompous. Spoiled. Ridiculously Obese.
Prince Tybalt "The Panther": Twin brother of Juliet. Veteran Knight. Handsome. Charming.

Organisations:
The Adventurer's Guild: Inter-kingdom organisation providing opportunities to adventurers ranging from bandits and pirates to knights and paladins.

Bounties:
Cornelius Babel: Necromancer, cattle smuggler, slaver, kidnapper. Frozen with his own magical rod - shattered with his bodyguard's broken sword.

---

Look at that! That's where you are! This is the world you get to fill up with mad bad dudes and populate with your interesting things you say! I know lots of people don't get that excited about this sort of thing, but I think DW works so much better when you're declaring truths and expanding the game universe. This list will never get smaller than this. How big and detailed it gets is pretty much up to you guys.

It goes without saying that I've been having a blast, and I hope you all have too! I'm looking forward to the climax of the adventure, and seeing how you adapt to a fuller campaign world in Wanted:

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 1, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hell yeah! I'm in for the long haul for sure, whether Brunch survives the final battle or not. Definitely interested in finding out more about Hol's ancient mech!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

I was going to wait until after the end of this adventure, but thinking about it, it makes more sense to do it now.

Everyone give me a Location!

We're going to start fleshing out the world so that I have some things to work with when you get your next bounty. Give me a name, a general place to put the location, and a description similar to what I have given the current places. This is your chance to fill the world with stuff that you want. I'll be asking a few questions about 'what do you want from the campaign?' when it starts, but for now here is your chance. Be interesting. I've never been a fan of 'Not-Japan' as a setting, but if that's something you like then give me interesting stuff to work with. 'Not-Japan. Samurai lizardmen civil war with ninja kobolds for the past 400 years' is much better than 'Not-Japan. Samurais. Ninjas. Waifus.'

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Qialas: An island formation between Ostravic and Freepoint. Home to to tribal trolls and lizard men?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, you know I'm in on this, whether or not Milliner Rose the Constantly Boned lives through the fight with Babel. Location info (and a post for Milliner) to come later. I'll cook up some unboring NPCs and even-more-unpronounceable fantasy locations, hopefully in a couple days.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Haha, Not-Japan is bad but Not-Persia is all chill?

Por'vell is a magi-technologically-advanced city-state built on top of the ruins of an ancient Elven utopia. It sits at the center of The Old World, between its three great rivers.

Also, Doctor Idle, I feel like Kozu is triggering True Grit like crazy right now? Or did you get rid of that, I recall you retconning something but I don't remember what.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Both good so far. Also, I like Not-Persia so :colbert:.

Also, those are the divides between four kingdoms, not rivers. I'm not very good at art.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Something Else posted:

Also, Doctor Idle, I feel like Kozu is triggering True Grit like crazy right now? Or did you get rid of that, I recall you retconning something but I don't remember what.

I figure since I'm at about half-health that it's ok. Also you all are still fighting, by its wording, my situation has to look hopeless. The full-extent of that definition I am uncertain on.

Almost destroyed by the thing from beneath, some of you almost being eaten. I figured that was as good a time as any, but we will see. I considered it, but I was like hmm...

:v: maybe?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Explorers from Freepoint stumbled across a village of natives in a swamp, with homes inside enormous trees. After trading some food and trinkets, the explorers returned to Freepoint and prepared a larger expedition to develop relations with the natives. When they got to the swamp, they found the village abandoned. Not only had the villagers disappeared, the giant trees they lived in were missing too. The only sign of previous inhabitants were the bridges crossing the swamp that had once connected the tree-homes. It's as if the village simply got up, and walked away.

Edit: Captain Indigo, your map skills have greatly improved!

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain_Indigo posted:

Both good so far. Also, I like Not-Persia so :colbert:

Also, those are the divides between four kingdoms, not rivers. I'm not very good at art.

I thought that might be the case... Did you make the whole map? If so, well done sir, looks real old and everything.

Doctor Idle - I'd say it all depends on the Spellslinger's attitude, not necessarily objective hopelessness. Kozu seems like the type to hold out hope as long as possible so you're playing it right no doubt!

• Locked thread