Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

At least looking at the Canucks draft doesn't make me wince a year later. That's a first.

the trick is to look at mike williamson and ask, as any good person did at the time, "who the gently caress is this and why are you wasting assets on him"

i like to think the williamson pick was the final straw in their western scouting

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

the trick is to look at mike williamson and ask, as any good person did at the time, "who the gently caress is this and why are you wasting assets on him"

Gotta have at least ONE smartest guy in the room pick a year.

It's an improvement from 4 in 2012 (although Hutton seems to have turned out alright).

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I've been watching alot of the AHL games that Texas plays in on that hockey webcasts site and various other places, because the Texas Stars are a pretty awesome team.

They take over 60% of the shot attempts in AHL games, which places them about 4 or 5% to the north of dominant NHL possession clubs like Los Angeles and Chicago. So basically you can count on them a) outshooting the opposition by a wide margin most nights and b) often scoring a ton of goals. If I remember correctly they've recorded 6 goals in a period on two seperate occassions this year, and they probably have played more games this year when they've scored 5 or more goals than games in which they were held to 2 or less.

Unfortunately they have the tragic flaw of terrible goaltending holding them back from running away with the league, as top prospect Jack Campbell has been injured all season long leaving the job to less capable candidates. Most nights the players more than make up for those deficiencies as noted above - Texas has 2 of the top 3 point scorers in the league and 4 of the top 9, including leading AHL rookie point scorer Curtis McKenzie.

When we last left off Texas had beaten the conference leading Abbotsford Heat 7-2 in a game that was over by the 5 minute mark of the 1st period, be sure to catch the Stars top scorers Travis Morin and Colton Sceviour in action tonight in the AHL all star game :)

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Morin and Sceviour can't get to the NHL full time fast enough. I've also been watching a bit of the baby twinkles, and holy hell what has happened to Nihlstorp? He couldn't square up to a cubicle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vicas posted:

Saunders/Therien supremacy, the Flyers' radio broadcast was pretty much my gateway back into hockey back in 2011

Yes sir. It's all the more fun now because Therien has completely dropped any sense of subtlety or tact. Dude gives zero fucks and it's hilarious.

EDIT This is right where it vanished

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Texas also has former Saskatoon Blades and kinda-plays-like-Malkin-but-isn't-as-good Matej Stransky who is good and awesome and I won't hear otherwise.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Guignol posted:

Hockey Webcasts is a fairly comprehensive source to stream radio for almost every North American team from the NHL, AHL, ECHL, WHL, OHL, and QMJHL.
http://www.hockeywebcasts.com

Can't speak for the voracity of the other leagues, but the stations listed under the Dub check out.

Great link, thanks a lot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Verviticus posted:

i like to think the williamson pick was the final straw in their western scouting

Mike Williamson owns though

Penn State

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does he actually own? i havent heard a thing about him and he was supposedly injured for a while so he just vanished, but there's zero hype or feedback and i cant blame people not caring when he had like 2 points in a 30 games as an overager in a 2nd tier league

vvv horray!

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 12, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was just pimping penn state

I actually look for him tho next game. Just for you :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

Morin and Sceviour can't get to the NHL full time fast enough. I've also been watching a bit of the baby twinkles, and holy hell what has happened to Nihlstorp? He couldn't square up to a cubicle.

well Morin is already 30 so it is unlikely that he has much of a future in the NHL, but Sceviour deserves a spot on our 3rd / 4th line starting now. It seems like NHL GM's are coming around to giving these types of guys depth minutes instead of some thug or a 20 year old kid who isn't ready, so maybe Morin will have a shot with somebody else. Of course if he stays in Texas and leads the league in scoring for the next 3 or 4 years that's fine too.

It will be interesting to see if or when Curtis McKenzie and Brett Ritchie get a look. You had the feeling it was going to happen sooner rather than later when Dallas was in their slump, but now it looks like that might get put off until next year.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 12, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DJExile posted:

Yes sir. It's all the more fun now because Therien has completely dropped any sense of subtlety or tact. Dude gives zero fucks and it's hilarious.

EDIT This is right where it vanished

I knew exactly what this link would be before you posted it. Therien is like a Philly homer version of Don Cherry and Saunders seems to deal with him really well. I like the way they work together

(he says in the minor league thread)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Verviticus posted:

does he actually own? i havent heard a thing about him and he was supposedly injured for a while so he just vanished, but there's zero hype or feedback and i cant blame people not caring when he had like 2 points in a 30 games as an overager in a 2nd tier league

vvv horray!

Oh yeah I saw Williamson play quite often in the AJHL for Spruce Grove (as big of factory of college talent as there is in Canada). He's a pretty tall guy and stood out for his physical play in a league full of overage dudes willing to play physical, but the scoring numbers obviously aren't very impressive. It's always hard to judge guys who are 17 years old in that league though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Oh yeah I saw Williamson play quite often in the AJHL for Spruce Grove (as big of factory of college talent as there is in Canada). He's a pretty tall guy and stood out for his physical play in a league full of overage dudes willing to play physical, but the scoring numbers obviously aren't very impressive. It's always hard to judge guys who are 17 years old in that league though.

The odds of a defenceman making the NHL if they have below .4 PPG in the CHL is practically nil. The idea that players can somehow be effective because of physical play and positioning is antiquated, and the lack of points is usually indicative of the fact that they are simply not talented enough for the pro game. Williamson is not going to ever have a sniff at the NHL, and that was evident on the day we drafted him.

I guess I'm just sorta opposed to drafting players who'll cap out at a shorter version of Andrew Alberts if absolutely everything goes to plan. If you're going to take a guy who's been passed over twice before, at least take the guy who's an unquestioned star in his league, not some lumbering #4 type.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 12, 2014

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The odds of a defenceman making the NHL if they have below .4 PPG in the CHL is practically nil. The idea that players can somehow be effective because of physical play and positioning is antiquated, and the lack of points is usually indicative of the fact that they are simply not talented enough for the pro game. Williamson is not going to ever have a sniff at the NHL, and that was evident on the day we drafted him.

I guess I'm just sorta opposed to drafting players who'll cap out at a shorter version of Andrew Alberts if absolutely everything goes to plan. If you're going to take a guy who's been passed over twice before, at least take the guy who's an unquestioned star in his league, not some lumbering #4 type.

Yeah I agree, definetely a long shot at best. All I'll say is that Williamson did stand out as being a faster / more skilled player for his age than most people in that league, so it wasn't a surprise for him to go play US college hockey. That's pretty much all you can predict for AJHL players though, it's super rare that anyone who spends any length of time in that league actually makes the NHL. I mean most of the NHL allumni from that league in the last decade are guys who played like 3 games as a 16 year old affiliate player and then went on to play in the WHL.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Counterpoint: Barrie is a dump and no one should ever go there.

I said like the Colts, not the city (and hey, its better than Peterborough). :colbert:

DJExile posted:

ahahahahaha that rules. What the hell caused all this?

Decent import player that didnt have proper papers to pass the border for games against Plymouth/Eerie. Snuck him across in the baggage compartment of the bus. Funniest part is that wasnt even the worst or craziest part of the 99-00 Colts.

- 3 players charged with sexual assault
- one player got a 25 game suspension for swinging a stick at the head of another player
- David Frost and his 4 clients, known as the "Frost Boys", basically tore the team apart internally, leading to many players asking to be traded
- if Frost's name rings a bell, its because one of those 4 players was Mike Danton. Yes, conspiracy to commit murder Mike Danton
- tons of on ice and off ice fights, disrespecting the media, other players and coaches, and even Colts fans

Junior hockey can be just as entertaining as pro hockey. :v:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Some updates made to the OP including a short FAQ section. Additional contributions welcome.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I don't know much at all about the SPHL, USHL or ECHL, but I can post some maps and talk about two leagues I sometimes attend games of! I'd like to know a bit about the LNAH.

NAHL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAHL

The North American Hockey League is a Junior AA league, owned by insane midwestern businessmen and sanctioned by USA Hockey. Was mostly a central time zone league until Eastern expansion from teams moving leagues after USA Hockey committed a little harder to helping run its development programs and merging with the America West Hockey League it quickly sprang up to be one of the top American junior leagues, and as one of the more successful junior league draws in terms of revenue at the gate.

Pour one out for the Texas Tornado and hometown boy Tommy Train. That 05-06 team is the most fun I've had with a minor team, with Lyon Messier beating the poo poo out of EVERYONE over how mad he was to not be an NHLer.

CHL (lol): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Hockey_League

Sorry to make you remember, but do you remember Slap Shot 2? Where Gary Busey had plans for his own centrally owned hockey league? Well, the Central Hockey League is a lot like that except it had more coke in it than NHL dressing rooms in the 80's, failed miserably and lost a ton of teams. gently caress the Laredo Bucks, the Allen Americans are what happened after Stars alumni decided to enter the local market, the Dallas Freeze/Fort Worth Fire rivalry games was my first exposure to hockey and that was a very charged atmosphere, and I love it to death despite not really having a cheering interest out of my dislike for Allen. The current Fort Worth team is, unless I have been quite fooled, still suspended from the league as they do not have an arena. So the owners bought another team and moved to the arena they played in before, voided their CHL contracts and suspended their franchise. The Central league is nuts. Fire/Freeze games got SO out of hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwI8VyPxL8

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 13, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Is there anyone else that likes the London Knights in SAS, or am I all alone? I know plenty of you hate them...:colbert:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Is there anyone else that likes the London Knights in SAS, or am I all alone? I know plenty of you hate them...:colbert:

London is the Pittsburgh of the OHL. Youre either a fan or you want to see the team burn.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

just by virtue of canucks prospects i guess i have to like either the otters or the knights or both

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They had some neat plays in the Memmer last year and their opener vs the Blades was some awesome hockey so I don't mind them much but also, I hate them for being good?

Guignol made a great sign that got a wicked photo when the Blades scored their goal. He should post it.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
he does not respond to your summons

e:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Mike McCarron is on the Knights. I check in from time to time to see how many PIM he's racked up.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I go to a lot of Bulldogs games and at the start of the season they sucked, then people thought they were good, and now we're certain they suck. Much like the Habs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Furnaceface posted:

London is the Pittsburgh of the OHL. Youre either a fan or you want to see the team burn.

Aren't they also considered to be near-transparently corrupt with paying players under the table?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

- In 18 years in the OHL they have only missed the playoffs once (this year will make twice, unless Kingston decides to poo poo the bed)

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

ThinkTank posted:

Counterpoint: Barrie is a dump and no one should ever go there.
Barrie is a good place for snowboarding in Southern Ontario and also the women there are open to sexual experiences with guys they barely know

e: basically it's a poor man's Kelowna, which is a poor man's Whistler, which is a dumb man's Revelstoke.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 13, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Aren't they also considered to be near-transparently corrupt with paying players under the table?

Yep. Im having a hard time finding that big article the Toronto Star (I think) ran when the story broke, but basically they were going over to Russia and paying players under the table to gently caress with the import draft so that they had a better chance of getting them.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

DOOMocrat posted:

I don't know much at all about the SPHL, USHL or ECHL, but I can post some maps and talk about two leagues I sometimes attend games of! I'd like to know a bit about the LNAH.

NAHL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAHL

Don't know if this is just internet dyslexia, but you do have to be careful, the LNAH is a semi-pro league in Quebec that is the final resting ground for fine French-Canadian goons of marginal talent, with a willingness to commit several major penalties in a game.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Just got back from a Victoria Royals vs Tricity Americans WHL game. The Royals, despite being indisputably better (3rd in the conference vs 8th, 5 drafted players plus two projected highly in 2014 and 2015 vs 1 drafted player for Tricity) were outshot 39-28 and got a win in OT that they probably didn't deserve. Anyway, good game, and I paid $6 for seats in the sixth row. :)

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Oh and with that win the Royals clinched a playoff spot. On February 12. At least one of my hockey teams is good...

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
The other thing you get, especially in the AHL, is the local hero phenomenon. By their nature, AHL rosters turn over quickly. If guys are languishing in the AHL, they're gonna bolt when their contract is up. But, for those who are great AHL players, but are just a little too slow, short, whatever, to crack the NHL full time, if they stay in one place long enough, they become intensely popular. Back in the 80s and 90s you had guys like Jody Gage in Rochester, and Mitch Lameroux in Hershey, more recently you've had players like Denis Hamel in Binghamton- guys who have talent, but for whatever reason, they have hit their ceiling, and because they stay around, they become hugely loved.

Further, AHL development really doesn't seem to skew with NHL success- when the Devils had their great run of the mid-late-90s and 2000s, their farm teams, with the exception of one year were almost uniformly terrible. As a little illustration, here are the Stanley Cup matchups since 2000, and the farm-system matchups in the AHL's Calder Cup Finals:

2000- NHL: New Jersey over Dallas, AHL: NY Rangers over Buffalo
2001- NHL: Colorado over New Jersey, AHL: Calgary over Pittsburgh
2002- NHL: Detroit over Carolina, AHL: Atlanta over NY Islanders
2003- NHL: New Jersey over Anaheim, AHL: Minnesota over Montreal/Edmonton
2004- NHL: Tampa Bay over Calgary, AHL: Nashville over Pittsburgh
2005- NHL: Season Not Played, AHL: Philadelphia over Atlanta
2006- NHL: Carolina over Edmonton, AHL: Washington over Nashville
2007- NHL: Anaheim over Ottawa, AHL: Montreal over Washington
2008- NHL: Detroit over Pittsburgh, AHL: Atlanta over Pittsburgh
2009- NHL: Pittsburgh over Detroit, AHL: Washington over Vancouver
2010- NHL: Chicago over Philadelphia, AHL: Washington over Dallas
2011- NHL: Boston over Vancouver, AHL: Ottawa over Minnesota
2012- NHL: Los Angeles over New Jersey, AHL: Tampa Bay over Toronto
2013- NHL: Chicago over Boston, AHL: Detroit over Tampa Bay

Even considering that the AHL can throw up Finals matchups that can't happen in the NHL, there's not a lot of crossover. I think the last NHL/AHL double was New Jersey and Albany in 94/95.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
And while I'm (not) triple-posting (thanks Kwik), the mascot of the Royals is a Vancouver Island Marmot, an endangered species, called Marty. It's a pretty cute mascot idea.

Why's he in white instead of home darks? Because the Royals had more success early on the road so have worn their road jerseys at home for most of the season. Whatever works...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
isn't it marty the marmot who got murdered (not literally murdered) by some guy who was mad about losing musical chairs? or is there a different marty the marmot out there somewhere

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

a false posted:

isn't it marty the marmot who got murdered (not literally murdered) by some guy who was mad about losing musical chairs? or is there a different marty the marmot out there somewhere

No that's the same mascot. Someone threw him on the ice. I suspect the guy who did it thought he was just being funny but of course throwing someone in a mascot suit on the ice when you don't know if there's any padding around their head is pretty dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1z_aqnMCY

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That's not "trying to be funny" that's like a full on powerbomb. (Or as powerbomb as some irate sore loser can get.)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I thought the WHL still went with home whites and away darks?

Also did Jesse Astles fight anyone? :allears:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Pleads posted:

I thought the WHL still went with home whites and away darks?

Also did Jesse Astles fight anyone? :allears:

No, no one fought anyone.

And from some googling you might be right - though I'd swear the Royals wore their darks at home at the start of the season.

e: and based on the photos on their website (against two different opponents) I'm not wrong that they wore the darks at home early. But it seems whites at home is standard for the league. Weird.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

DOOMocrat posted:

CHL (lol):

Hey! How can that league be a joke when they have an Olympian!

... on team Norway

It's Ødegaard who plays on Missouri Mavericks

• Locked thread