Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kwik posted:

I think the last NHL/AHL double was New Jersey and Albany in 94/95.

I was at the Devils/Penguins game when they announced Albany won the Calder :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kwik posted:

Don't know if this is just internet dyslexia, but you do have to be careful, the LNAH is a semi-pro league in Quebec that is the final resting ground for fine French-Canadian goons of marginal talent, with a willingness to commit several major penalties in a game.

That's about all I know about the LNAH, was just wondering if there was any specific controversy funnier than a killer vegan going around Bertuzzi-ing people.

Anders posted:

Hey! How can that league be a joke when they have an Olympian!

... on team Norway

It's Ødegaard who plays on Missouri Mavericks

More because there uh, kind of already was a CHL.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

DOOMocrat posted:

More because there uh, kind of already was a CHL.

But how many Olympians do they have?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Ask again in 2018 when the NHL backs out of the Olympics and the Canadian national team is just Team Cherry, Chris Simon and a shooter tutor

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Guignol posted:

he does not respond to your summons

e:

You've been outed, Weyburnite.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
I thought we already did the stairs in your house thing

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the london knights are up 10-0 on the sarnia sting, ok, its jr, but why do the sting only have 16 skaters? are they just disadvantaged or are there special rules in jr i dont know about

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

the london knights are up 10-0 on the sarnia sting, ok, its jr, but why do the sting only have 16 skaters? are they just disadvantaged or are there special rules in jr i dont know about

A bunch of injuries and their affiliate was playing that night so they couldn't call anyone up. It ended up being an 11-0 loss.

It's also worth nothing that their best player and likely first round pick this year Anthony DeAngelo is currently suspended by the team for a discipline issue that is now being investigated by the league. Sarnia are a bit of a mess right now.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 14, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I forget, is Reinhart's (relative) weakness supposed to be his skating? Because I'm watching Kootenay-Brandon right now and his skating looks yet again unexceptional.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Marlies-Comets on Sportsnet, NHL Network
Sportsnet's national coverage of the AHL continues this weekend when the Toronto Marlies host the Utica Comets. Watch live on Sportsnet 360 at 3 ET Sunday, or catch the replay on NHL Network in the U.S. at 8 ET.

Some televised minor hockey coming up, Baby Leafs vs Baby Canucks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In case anyone was wondering, a good AHL team can beat a mediocre Swedish team on North American ice, at least.

The Marlies were playing their backup (Garret Sparks, who kinda sucks), sitting their top defenceman and scorer (T.J. Brennan, who is having a ridiculous season), and top forward (Spencer Abbott. Farjestad, to be fair, sat their top two scorers as well, along with probably their best all-around defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, who's gooning it up for Norway in the Olympics. They played Oliver Kylington, a 16 year-old top prospect for the 2015 draft who looked noticeable in part because he played all right and because his legs looked like twigs. But I think that's also because the Swedes in general seem to use thinner and/or smaller shin guards.

It's funny how Farjestad really played a speed and skill game most of the time, probably because a solid chunk of them are under 6' and the Marlies are full of big bodies. Like Biggs bodies. Farjestad certainly had many of the prettier chances, but got outworked along the boards. For some inexplicable reason, Brad Staubitz try to goad a Swede into fighting him :wtc: and got a penalty for his trouble. Christ that guy is dumb as bricks but not nearly as useful and will probably replace Colton Orr at some point as a result. On the other hand, Greg McKegg owns.

Farjestad's player of the game was a dude name Milan Gulas, pronounced goulash. I was amused. I can't help it. I suppose I wouldn't have been as amused if his name was Miller Stew, but I might have been.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 16, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I saw Pronman comment earlier today that Kylington would be a contender for the #1 pick were he not in the McDavid draft.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Färjestad is also missing Bastiansen, Holtet and Røymark to the Norwegian Olympic team. So they played without their 2.(?) line too

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I forget, is Reinhart's (relative) weakness supposed to be his skating? Because I'm watching Kootenay-Brandon right now and his skating looks yet again unexceptional.

I've read a few places that his skating is unspectacular, so yeah, your observations are probably on the money.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
In the WHL, teams wear darks at home before the Christmas break, whites after; but every team seems to have like eight alternates so who the hell really knows.

E- Now that I think of it, so did the 67s and Olympiques when I lived in Ottawa/ Gatineau (duh) so I think it's a CHL thing to switch after the Christmas break.

7lip fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 17, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Thanks, Facebook Trending window...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM58G6nlaIA

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

HockeyFightsPlus, for all your WHL fighting video needs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hockeyfightsplus

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Adirondack starting that poo poo doesn't surprise me. I thought they might pull that at the end of their last game in Norfolk.

The penalty summary is hilarious:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It would be amazing to have happen at a game I am at, but I really hope it wouldn't while I am working.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wow, what class from the Phantoms. From #28 with the leaping tackle to the ice at the 0:18 mark, to #23 sitting on a dude's chest and punching him in the face repeatedly a few seconds later, to Tye McGinn beating on some dude(s) who've probably never fought more than once in their pro careers.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hah ah yeah, stay classy philadelphia (like that movie, but not really, cause :ssh:)

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Brett Hextall's father must be very disappointed... that he didn't get another 5 for slashing :twisted:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's no such thing as "class" in minor league hockey

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

shyduck posted:

Saying "classy organization" is dumb in the NHL but the AHL isn't the Federal League.

Hockles posted:

It would be amazing to have happen at a game I am at, but I really hope it wouldn't while I am working.

Norfolk's off-ice officials don't count shots correctly, which is cool or bad. Infuriating.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
While the league will surely weigh in, as far as my interpretation of the AHL Rulebook is concerned, Cal Heeter probably picked himself up an automatic 6 game suspension for the Leaving the Bench game misconduct, and Kris Newbury bought himself 3 automatic games off for the same thing- a quirk, some might say, of the AHL rules is that the first player to leave the bench/penalty box to get into and/or start a fight picks up an automatic 6 game suspension, any subsequent players to leave the bench only get 3 games each. If I had to guess, I'd say Holmstrom, Manning, and FitzGerald (who picked up a nice, round, 40 minutes worth of penalties in that altercation, including 2 game misconducts) from Adirondack all pick up some games in addition to Heeter and Newbury. Hextall for Portland will get popped for a game or 2, and maybe Hagel and/or Dominigue for Portland. Plus both teams will get a fine for assorted goonery and unsporting behavior. Of course, this also is a game that features a lame-duck team, as the Phantoms will be moving to Allentown once that arena is ready, and another team that is boycotting it's own home rink due to a dispute over revenue sharing, the Pirates are locked in a dispute with Cumberland County over revenue at the Civic Center, so they're playing their home schedule this year in Androscoggin.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Heaf posted:

Norfolk's off-ice officials don't count shots correctly, which is cool or bad. Infuriating.

Neither does LEM's. The guy is really old, has worked for Cleveland hockey teams for like 30 years, can't see that well anymore, and the other staff sitting with him has to constantly correct who shot, and his math on total shots. Which is why I am going to start to "learn" that position this week.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

Neither does LEM's. The guy is really old, has worked for Cleveland hockey teams for like 30 years, can't see that well anymore, and the other staff sitting with him has to constantly correct who shot, and his math on total shots. Which is why I am going to start to "learn" that position this week.

Please take a baby boomer's job!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Norwegian super talent Mathias Pettersen is going to play for South Kent School in Connecticut.

Anyone around there to keep tabs on him?

He currently is leading the U16 point league in Norway as a 13 year old (22g,22a,44pts in 13gp), and has something like 89 points on 26 games in the World Select Invitational Tournament, whatever that is.

Edit: and he's already 170cm

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

shyduck posted:

Judging by the frequency and absurdity of gimmick jerseys and lost birds, the AHL is closer to the NHL than the ECHL.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Kwik posted:

While the league will surely weigh in, as far as my interpretation of the AHL Rulebook is concerned, Cal Heeter probably picked himself up an automatic 6 game suspension for the Leaving the Bench game misconduct, and Kris Newbury bought himself 3 automatic games off for the same thing- a quirk, some might say, of the AHL rules is that the first player to leave the bench/penalty box to get into and/or start a fight picks up an automatic 6 game suspension, any subsequent players to leave the bench only get 3 games each. If I had to guess, I'd say Holmstrom, Manning, and FitzGerald (who picked up a nice, round, 40 minutes worth of penalties in that altercation, including 2 game misconducts) from Adirondack all pick up some games in addition to Heeter and Newbury. Hextall for Portland will get popped for a game or 2, and maybe Hagel and/or Dominigue for Portland. Plus both teams will get a fine for assorted goonery and unsporting behavior. Of course, this also is a game that features a lame-duck team, as the Phantoms will be moving to Allentown once that arena is ready, and another team that is boycotting it's own home rink due to a dispute over revenue sharing, the Pirates are locked in a dispute with Cumberland County over revenue at the Civic Center, so they're playing their home schedule this year in Androscoggin.

Portland renewed their lease with the the County, they're moving back next year.

Hockles posted:

I guess it doesn't totally matter in the long run since the AHL doesn't release real time stats. It's annoying though!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Heaf posted:

I guess it doesn't totally matter in the long run since the AHL doesn't release real time stats. It's annoying though!

You can refresh the Game Sheet, and it updates whenever the scorer has something to update.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Connor Brown, the Toronto Maple Leafs 2012 6th round pick, is currently leading the OHL with 111 points in 56 games. He will never be an NHL regular.

I keep meaning to go see a Generals game this season (there's only 4 more home games), but I hate paying $20 for the cheap seats ($18.50 if I buy before game day).

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Hockles posted:

You can refresh the Game Sheet, and it updates whenever the scorer has something to update.

Real-time stats is probably the wrong word. The AHL doesn't release TOI, Shots directed at the net, stuff like that which I'm sure Advanced Stats guys would love to have access to like they do the NHL.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
On the edge of my seat listening to the Victoria Royals-Moose Jaw Warriors game!

Keep an eye out for goalie Zach Sawchenko. He's 2016 draft eligible and already looks pretty good.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
I listened to the fine Oil Kings-Hurricanes game on the drive home today. Sounded like a tight competitive match

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Guignol posted:

I listened to the fine Oil Kings-Hurricanes game on the drive home today. Sounded like a tight competitive match

Certainly made me feel a little better about being a Blades fan, knowing things could be worse if I A: lived in Lethbridge and B: was all aboard the CaneTrain.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

Some Ottawa fan want to clue me in on why Mike Hoffman isn't in the NHL? I've seen him play against Rochester a few times the last couple years, as well as the all-star game this past weekend and the dude has got, in my mind, NHL skills. Not to mention he was Q player of the year and 3rd in CHL player of the year voting behind Seguin and Eberle his draft year. He just doesn't look like a career AHLer to me when i see him out there.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Desrosiers just broke the shutout streak record in the QMJHL.

Goaltender of the future of today. Book it.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

techno allah posted:

Some Ottawa fan want to clue me in on why Mike Hoffman isn't in the NHL? I've seen him play against Rochester a few times the last couple years, as well as the all-star game this past weekend and the dude has got, in my mind, NHL skills. Not to mention he was Q player of the year and 3rd in CHL player of the year voting behind Seguin and Eberle his draft year. He just doesn't look like a career AHLer to me when i see him out there.

First off, he is having, by leaps and bounds, a career year this season. His rookie year was 10-11, and he went for 7 goals-18 assists- 25 points. He had 9 points in Binghamton's Cup run that postseason. 11-12 he went for 21-28-49 playing in every game for Bingo, and he was probably poised to make some moves. He had lousy luck in 12-13, broke his collarbone in January, and was out until late March. He got a couple games with Ottawa after the injury, but then reinjured it after 3 games and was done for the year. He has blown up this year, going for 27-36-63 so far. The past 3 years, he's played in a scattered 7 games in Ottawa, and hasn't scored a point yet. This year is gonna get him his shot though, either that, or Ottawa will spin him at the deadline for something. He is poised for a breakout though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

He broke his collarbone, and then within three games re-injured it?

holy poo poo

• Locked thread