Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
That's a great OP, TKH.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Go Fronts Go! Go Fronts G-:suicide:
What hilarious catastrophe do you think is going to end their season this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

London is the Pittsburgh of the OHL. Youre either a fan or you want to see the team burn.

Aren't they also considered to be near-transparently corrupt with paying players under the table?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I forget, is Reinhart's (relative) weakness supposed to be his skating? Because I'm watching Kootenay-Brandon right now and his skating looks yet again unexceptional.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I saw Pronman comment earlier today that Kylington would be a contender for the #1 pick were he not in the McDavid draft.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kingston - Niagara has been a real pleasure to watch, especially for names (they are tied at 4 and going to OT now if you want to join). One of my favourite parts was where Niagara is running out Aaron Hayden, Hayden McCool, and Aleksandar Mikulovich at the same time.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 21, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Way. He's supposed to be a decent 2015 prospect too, as much as someone below the top couple tiers of prospects can be.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Josh Morrissey passed Prince Albert's record for goals by a defencemen with his 23rd. 63 points in 51 games this year. Everyone always hates the Jets picks but they all seem to turn out pretty good.

I've watched a handful of Prince Albert games (and am watching this one right now) and I think he has been the best player on the ice every time. He covers the whole rink, and so much play runs through him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sam Bennett fought Scott Laughton, it was pretty awesome. He's looked pretty good this game generally for how much he's gone up against Laughton.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

whatis posted:

Bennett and Reinhart have both looked great all year, but they've really blown up since the WJCs finished. They're both separating themselves from the rest of the pack in a good way; I'd be very surprised to see anyone other than Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett go in the top 3 this upcoming draft

It really does seem that way, with Ekblad apparently solidifying himself as the #1. Another thing to look out for between Bennett and Reinhart is that Bennett is younger by seven and a half months, so all else being equal that's a pretty big point in Bennett's favour.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pleads posted:

Tim Bozon of WHL's Kootenay Ice is in a Saskatoon hospital with meningitis, latest update has him in critical condition:

Original story

Team update on condition

Apparently some info on the type of meningitis he's dealing with

lovely stuff.

Here is an article from The Score that makes things sounds really dire:

quote:

"Critical condition can have varying meanings from hospital to hospital," Jo Innes, an emergency room doctor who writes about hockey player medical issues for The Score, said in a text message. "But according to the American Hospital Association, vital signs are abnormal and unstable, the person may be unconscious, and indicators are unfavourable, often resulting in death."
"Critical to me means he's in the ICU, he's probably on the vent, and he's not conscious."
Innes provided the information found in the rest of this post. She also suggested that Switzerland has "a poor measles vaccine compliance" and that may extend to meningitis.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is a fantastic picture.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Meanwhile the Frontenacs looked poised to play the Petes and will maybe actually win a playoffs series for the first time since 1998 but really who are we kidding, they'll find a way to collapse.

Larry Mavety on the phone with OHL HQ trying to get Bennett's suspension extended into the playoffs.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Tyler Biggs is apparently a healthy scratch in the AHL. The sound of air being let out of a balloon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I agree, I was just pointing out that Biggs is a spot above Percy in the rankings, despite Biggs being a bust. Not that the rankings are representative of how good a player is going to be, or whether they are going to make it to the NHL.

I still think Percy has a decent shot.

I would be very suspicious of any ranking that slotted "possible Carl Gunnarson" below "aspiring tomato can."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Prince Albert certainly ran things in that third period. Leon Draisaitl seems to be very good in proximity to the puck so long as he doesn't have to actually skate with it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

QMJHL first round
OHL first round
WHL first round

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kingston scored with 47 seconds left in regulation to tie, then half way through overtime on an extended powerplay. 1G 2A for Bennett who is really impossibly good, and the Fronts lead the series 2-0.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fronts lose 3-1, delaying their first playoff series win since 1995 when they were led by David Ling, Chad Kilger, and Brett Lindros.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Colts also lose 2-1, preventing the sweep.

gently caress London.

On the other hand, Niagara (7) now leads North Bay (2) 3-1 which would set up a Kingston-Barrie 2nd round series.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Soal_Fish posted:

So for the draft, is it generally considered Ekblad/Reinhart then everyone else?

From what I gather it's Ekblad as a clear first at this point, followed by Bennett/Reinhart as more or less equal (team Bennett woo). Somewhere in here, depending on how you feel like weighting the back half of the season, you have the Danish Nikolaj Ehlers who has had an absolutely bonkers second half of the season anywhere from near-even with Ekblad to a bit behind Bennett/Reinhart. Then you get to Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Nylander where there's a lot more variation.

A Typical Goon posted:

Pretty good game for Rienhart apparently. A goal and 4 assists.
5-9-14 in 5 playoff games which is just okay.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Guignol posted:

Yup, he's always that slow and lumbering. I've seen him play a dozen times and I have no idea why he's so high up in the draft. Actually, that's a lie, he's up there because he's gigantic and size is still A Thing

e: oh and the 105 points i guess

Yeah I've watched him like a dozen times by now and he doesn't seem to skate very well but on the other hand he seems to be pretty good once he's actually around the puck. But it's easy to focus on skating because that's the thing that's most apparent to my untrained, only-usually-sober eye.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Kingston is currently up 4-3 after 2 periods. Will they get their first series win in 16 years tonight?

Nope.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fronts-Petes game 7 is going to overtime. Everyone capable of watching probably should.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you want a vision of the Kingston Frontenacs, imagine a person stamping on their own face - forever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Verviticus posted:

nah he's falling to 7 where gillis snaps him up

Nick Ritchie is oldish for the draft year, is hugemongous, and has very good but not elite scoring totals. He looks like a huge landmine, I think, and I am worried that the Leafs will take him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

it is certain

Nick Ritchie, to his credit, does have 18 more points in his draft year than Tyler Biggs had in his draft+1 year. fe: wait it was his draft+2 year oh my god Biggs is awful.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

i would like anthony duclair to win a memorial cup

assuming that he's playing for the remparts next season

Next year will be the Connor McDavid - Jack Eichel showdown.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

a false posted:

where is eichel going to play? does anyone know that for sure yet?

It's not for sure for sure but a week or two it came out that he was willing to go through the QMJHL import draft and join the CHL. Previously he was going to be staying in the US for sure because he'd only leave for the OHL but the Q had his draft rights.

e: Apparently the Mooseheads drafted him last year. I don't know whether that means he would have to join them next year. I am looking for the news item.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 4, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

NHLCS released their final rankings today. Sam Bennett is still #1.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apparently Connor Brown was doing work defensively that series. Pronman called him an "elite PKer" earlier today, which is pretty good news although I don't understand hockey prospects well enough to know whether that's the sort of thing that would translate to the NHL if Brown continues to be small.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I started watching Medicine Hat - Kootenay with 10 minutes left and the Tigers up 4-2. There are now 2 minutes left and the Ice are up 5-4. Reinhart has 3 points, although they're all 2nd assists.

e: 2 empty net goals for Kootney are going to make the box score look real fun.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 11, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

so is there anyway that tampa can bring vasilevsky over now that his khl playoffs are over? dude posted like a .928 SP in the khl playoffs this year as a 19 year old and my sharp southern us hockey intuition tells me he's better than lindback.

I heard something the other day that his KHL team was looking to extend him, which would prevent him from playing in Tampa. Of course, the Lightning could always go with Latvian supergoalie Kristers Gudlevskis.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Largo LaForge posted:

:siren: THE U18 WJCs start today! :siren:

Opening day games: Switzerland-USA, Slovakia-Russia, Denmark-Finland and Sweden-Canada.

:stare:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

With an OT win today, Halifax has taken a 3-2 series lead against Val D'Or. The Mooseheads have actually run over the Foreurs in all five games, but there's been a large gulf in goaltending with Fucale being mediocre to bad while Bibeau has played out of his mind.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fits posted:

Both the Q conference finals (Halifax vs Val-D'or and Blae-Comeau vs Blainville) are tied at 3-3 with both Game 7s tonight

The Foreurs won despite being outshot 41-16 by the Mooseheads. Antoine Bibeau (2013, 6th-round Leafs pick) is having a great playoffs and is generally looking pretty good for a goalie prospect. They will face the Drakkar in the final, who are getting by on .930 goaltending themselves.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

In the other series, Baie-Comeau won in overtime 4-3, to tie the series at two. They managed 50 shots on net, because Val D'Or is actually just Mantha and Bibeau. I suspect that whichever team limps out of this series is going to get murdered in the Memorial Cup.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Antoine Bibeau stopped 43 of 46 shots and Val D'Or forced game 7 in the Q finals with a 6-3 win over Baie-Comeau. Give how much the Foreurs seem to rely on Mantha and Bibeau, it's kind of incredible that they're making it to game 7. Merited or not, if they make the Memorial Cup I expect the Leafs prospect hype over Bibeau to go nuclear.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thoughts: With the memorial cup and the medal rounds of the WHC coming up, it might be a good idea to have a separate GDT for the time being. Maybe just one for both tournaments.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

We've done Memorial Cup specific threads in the past and they've been a little flat. This thread accomplishes the same thing IMO.

I was thinking one, short-term thread to act as combined GDT for both the mem playoffs and the WHC medal round. It won't be overflowing with posting or anything, but I think both threads might benefit from the separation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also Antoine Bibeau, who stopped 40 of 43 in that game and posted a .920 for the playoffs, was named the Q playoffs MVP. They play London on Friday and I expect them to get killed.

• Locked thread