Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

I found my CD of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 in the same box as my Lords of the Realm CD.

Already done a Lords LP, so why not see if I am any better at HOMM3 than I was when I was a kid.

I actually downloaded HOMM3 from GOG.com and then installed the HD pack so it would let me play in a window instead of full screen.

I think I could get a multiplayer game going too, if anyone is interested.

So I have a hundred scenarios to choose from. I'll take requests for a scenario. You dont need to specify a certain scenario, we can narrow it down a bit first.

Map options are: Small map, medium, large, xl. Bigger maps have more people generally.
Can be allied or every-man-for-himself
Victory Conditions include: Dig up a valuable item, or fight till no opponents live.

Once that's decided I'll need a name, starting race, and a couple other small things. I'd really prefer to play Necro since that's all I remember playing as a kid, but I'm game to lose as any race.

That being said: Lets play!

Update 1 is on top of page 2
Update 2

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 17:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

The magic is in the beard.

If we're up for a big scenario right away, I'd pick A Viking We Shall Go. As the scenario locks certain towns to certain areas, I don't want to lock you into a certain town on that one.

Alternatively, for something smaller, Battle of the Sexes is also a lot of fun. Necro or Stronghold would be nice picks for that one.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

I am unsure if I have ability for a 7-man battle royale right off the bat. Vikings looks fun though, it's a custom map of Europe.

I am going to be referring to the Monster Guide every 3 minutes to figure out if I should fight or run.

Edit: there is also the "capture town to win" victory flag. This is usually "go fight a city full of dragons or titans to win"

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2014 around 16:15

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

I have absolutely no idea what this game is about or how it works! But winning by archaeology sounds more interesting than punching everybody else with your sword, so... "Judgment Day"? (Unless that's one of the third type I didn't see mentioned when I previewed before, but it's got the same icon as "Buried Treasure" so I'm doubtful.)

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2014 around 16:22

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

The buried treasure ones are laid out like:
Go kill everyone and find the obelisks that reveal the treasure location. Find the treasure and dig it up.

It's possible to get to the obelisks without killing anyone, or get to enough of them so you have a general idea of where it is, and then start digging till you find it.

I'm game to do either (and I'm rusty as hell so I'll probably lose either scenario), but I just received some bad family news and I have to leave for the remainder of the day. I'll begin the fun 24hrs from now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

That's a nice stack of dragons you have there. Be a real shame if I sneezed on it.

I say do a small, free-for-all, conquest map. Keep things nice and simple your first time around.

Also, I demand that every scenario be played with Fortress, in memory of how they've never shown up again despite being the coolest faction full of giant lizards and rock cows.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

You keep playing games I goddamn loved when I was a kid and it's great.

2nding that Fortress was the poo poo. Lizardbros, gnollbuddies, and hydras, with their stonecow pals wrecking up the place.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Another vote for Fortress.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

He will know I am near when he hears the screams of my enemies.

Fortress is the best town ever so you have to pick it.

I like Battle of the Sexes too. I think Four-Leaf Clover is also fairly small.

And I hope you link to some of the music; like the rest of the series H3 had some really nice themes going on.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Bitchtits McGee posted:

I have absolutely no idea what this game is about or how it works! But winning by archaeology sounds more interesting than punching everybody else with your sword, so... "Judgment Day"? (Unless that's one of the third type I didn't see mentioned when I previewed before, but it's got the same icon as "Buried Treasure" so I'm doubtful.)

Ready Thuryl's LP of King's Bounty on the archive. Heroes of M&M is basically that, but multiplayer.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

That's a nice stack of dragons you have there. Be a real shame if I sneezed on it.

Seyser Koze posted:

Ready Thuryl's LP of King's Bounty on the archive. Heroes of M&M is basically that, but multiplayer.

If I recall correctly, the King's Bounty team was more or less drafted to create a turn-based strategy game for the Might & Magic IP. It's why the two series have so many similarities.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

You should probably pick a smaller map with 3-4 total players and get back in the groove with the Necros or a quick paced faction like the Stronghold.

Looking forward to seeing which towns are people's favorites. A handful have already mentioned Fortress, which outside of the amazing Cows just didn't cut it for me. I usually went with a Dungeon town.

WanderingMinstrel I
Mar 31, 2010
I paid $10 to read a Pokemon Let's Play

Arrogance is a good starter map to get you back into the swing of the game and give people and overview of how the game works.

edit: Also real pros troll multiplayer with fortress tank builds and giant stacks of mighty gorgons.

WanderingMinstrel I fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2014 around 19:35

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

It's been years since I played this, so I cannot give you any recommendations. Necropolis is boring though, but play whatever you like.

Also I'm sad that there was no mention of/link to this thread in the Lords of the Realms LP thread, I am too lazy to check the LP forum every day.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

and then we'll have pancakes to celebrate and I'll be like EURGNOMEHREUGN.

you gotta go with Fortress because it has the BEST theme

Also I would totally be down for another Heroes MP extravaganza, since that worked out surprisingly well last time (although right now Windows 8.1 apparently will not let me install Heroes III )

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

Torrannor posted:

Also I'm sad that there was no mention of/link to this thread in the Lords of the Realms LP thread, I am too lazy to check the LP forum every day.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...40&pagenumber=1

So it looks like Battle of the Sexes (allies or no?) with Fortress to start. Will start playing in morning EST and update later in the morning.

Still need a name!

And I need to figure out wtf Fortress has for units and how to play them

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

ApplesandOranges posted:

Fortress is the best town ever so you have to pick it.

I like Battle of the Sexes too. I think Four-Leaf Clover is also fairly small.

And I hope you link to some of the music; like the rest of the series H3 had some really nice themes going on.

Sorry for the double post, but hate copy/pasting on an iPad.

About the music: I play the game on mute, seriously never considered the music. I can upload the midi files or something for your enjoyment. Also sometimes I play at work hence the no-music thing. :Shh:

Edit: fortress is the one with gnolls and dragonflies and lizard archers? gently caress you guys. I already hate the first map.

Edit2: can't remember the pink Shh smiley where he is saying 'shhhh' with a finger in front of his mouth so you have to pretend it's there.

Edit3: their best unit has a speed of FIVE? Seriously, you guys are dicks. Maybe I will get lucky and take over an Angel city right off the bat.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 00:21

ChaosSamusX
Jul 18, 2010

Aces High posted:

Also I would totally be down for another Heroes MP extravaganza, since that worked out surprisingly well last time (although right now Windows 8.1 apparently will not let me install Heroes III )

I would love to have one of these happen (and I would get to play this time).

Duckforce Alpha
May 23, 2006
D:

Dungeon Deemer all the way.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: fortress is the one with gnolls and dragonflies and lizard archers? gently caress you guys. I already hate the first map.

Edit2: can't remember the pink Shh smiley where he is saying 'shhhh' with a finger in front of his mouth so you have to pretend it's there.

Edit3: their best unit has a speed of FIVE? Seriously, you guys are dicks. Maybe I will get lucky and take over an Angel city right off the bat.

Despite the fact that Fortress is probably the most underpowered faction, they do have a few tings going for them. Dragonflies are the fastest unit in the game (except for Conflux poo poo, but gently caress 'em), and basilisks and gorgons easily trash higher tier units.

...yeah, other than that they kind of suck. But come on, ROCK COWS.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mighty Gorgons get something like an extra chance to proc Death Stare with every 10 that you have on the stack. I don't know for sure if it was multiple chances to proc or if it was a 10% chance of instakilling increasingly large numbers of units.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

Yeah, and it looks like if I can get hydras close (big if there) they attack all tiles nearby too. So if I can weasel them in the middle of a group they will do some damage.

I bet I kill more of my units than theirs with that special attack.

What was the HOMM3 multiplayer thing? I want in.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Yeah, and it looks like if I can get hydras close (big if there) they attack all tiles nearby too. So if I can weasel them in the middle of a group they will do some damage.

I bet I kill more of my units than theirs with that special attack.

What was the HOMM3 multiplayer thing? I want in.

Fortress is incredibly passive aggressive in their fighting style. They don't have a great ranged option, so you want to get spells like Slow, Shield, Stone Skin etc. and get them to expert asap. If you can bog down their quick units, you will lock down and destroy their front line while your fliers make mincemeat of their ranged units.

The 3-6 units of Fortress all have status effects on their attacks. Having a small stack of Dragonflies separate from your main stack to throw at the enemy unit that gets super buffed is mean and a wonderful feeling. Not only will you Dispel all their positive buffs, but you'll throw a weakness on top of it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Fortress is incredibly passive aggressive in their fighting style. They don't have a great ranged option, so you want to get spells like Slow, Shield, Stone Skin etc. and get them to expert asap. If you can bog down their quick units, you will lock down and destroy their front line while your fliers make mincemeat of their ranged units.

The 3-6 units of Fortress all have status effects on their attacks. Having a small stack of Dragonflies separate from your main stack to throw at the enemy unit that gets super buffed is mean and a wonderful feeling. Not only will you Dispel all their positive buffs, but you'll throw a weakness on top of it.

Fortress is that faction that if you rely heavily on buffs you will be in huge trouble, of course with Slow and Stone Skin it helps that all of those belong in the same element class

Blind Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Not a big fan of the Fortress faction myself. I'd cast a vote for either Humans of Dungeon Masters. A small-mediumish map as a Free-For-All sounds good too, to start.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

He will know I am near when he hears the screams of my enemies.

The cute thing is that if you're fighting on Magic Plains, which casts all spells on Expert level, Dragonflies' attacks now cast Weakness on all enemy targets. Pretty snazzy.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

HoMM 3 was (imo) the best in the series. I don't particularly care which map you play, but I'm gonna vote for Castle / Knight as I've always enjoyed the faction. It's pretty balanced if a little bit on the fragile side so is a good way to start out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

THIS IS STRENGTH!

Yes! HoMM3 is totally rad, my friend got me hooked by hotseating custom multiplayer maps. We'd go 2-on-6 allied, no water, extra large, underworld. I would always go Castle or Rampart and he was always Necro. Inevitably we'd run up against an isolated Conflux or Fortress computer player that would just be incredibly beefy and we'd have to waste almost all our units on it. So yeah gently caress Conflux and Fortress. Later on I tried using Dungeon and Tower and liked them a lot too. Pretty much the only one I hated playing as was Stronghold. We did have a pretty good routine down where I'd play sweeper for enemy heroes with archers and monks and he'd go out searching for the pieces for Cloak of the Undead. Once he got that it was just gobs and gobs of power liches everywhere.

ANYWHO I vote you use Castle to start because they're easy to learn on and have the best two starting units IMO.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

JIMMY JIMS?!

Whatever happened to the old Heroes of Might and Magic megathread anyway?

Sleepy Owl
Mar 1, 2013

I was looking for the HD patch you mentioned and apparently this is done

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Oh my gods, that new town. It's... I don't know how to feel about it. Is it balanced? Is it fully working with no weird glitches? I... I don't care because I just had no idea that sort of thing is possible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Some missions, you just can't get rid of a bomb

Fortress hero stat progression is the best. Defense skill up the wazoo

inthesto posted:

If I recall correctly, the King's Bounty team was more or less drafted to create a turn-based strategy game for the Might & Magic IP. It's why the two series have so many similarities.

The original King's Bounty from 1990 was made by the same guy (Jon van Caneghem) that made the Heroes of Might and Magic (and Might and Magic, as in the RPG) series.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Aces High posted:

Stronghold disagrees. Well, they would do, wouldn't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rdz2d6VKyo

Although frankly ALL the music is absolutely top-notch stuff, and you're missing out massively if you're playing without music. It's one of the hallmarks of the entire series.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 08:58

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Stronghold disagrees. Well, they would do, wouldn't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rdz2d6VKyo

Although frankly ALL the music is absolutely top-notch stuff, and you're missing out massively if you're playing without music. It's one of the hallmarks of the entire series.

Oh no doubt, the Stronghold theme on its own is one of my favourite tracks from the soundtrack but when playing it is one of the only tracks that I feel doesn't exactly fit especially when compared to the theme for, essentially, the same faction from Heroes II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0jHblkspo

To be completely honest the only faction theme from Heroes III that I don't like is the Castle theme. Thematically it works perfectly with its militaristic sound but it is just so BORING, the Tower theme almost falls into this as well but it has a certain sound that you could put it in other places and people wouldn't notice that it's a video game track (Bobbin Threadbare was using it during one of his Corner lectures in his Deux Ex LP ) whereas the Castle theme just feels kinda

But that's one of the reasons I like the Fortress theme, it's kind of strange and almost seems inappropriate for the game it's in (the B section is VERY overbearing and some people don't want that in their video game music) but it adds a nice bit of contrast to the other themes and taken separately from the game it is a nice little piece of music.

Ok I think that's enough about the music for one day, I'm sure there will be plenty more to talk about once Smurf turns his music back on

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Casting another vote against Fortress. They just don't have that much going for them. Gnolls and Lizardmen are blah. Dragonflies are lightning-fast, almost always ensuring you get the first move, but that's next to useless when you can't cast spells for poo poo. The midlevel units can proc status effects, but they're still mediocre. Hydras have the three-headed no-retaliation thing going, but it's hard to leverage because they move sooooo slow.

Go for Tower (best spell and ranged) or Fortress STRONGHOLD!! (best melee). Or Dungeon just for style.

inthesto posted:

That's right. HoMM 1 is basically an unofficial sequel to King's Bounty.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 12:40

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

The magic is in the beard.

Gynovore posted:

Casting another vote against Fortress.
[...]
Go for Tower (best spell and ranged) or Fortress (best melee).

I assume you mean Stronghold with the best melee bit?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheMcD posted:

I assume you mean Stronghold with the best melee bit?

Oops, yeah. I shouldn't post on so little sleep.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

Alright, 5 votes for Fortress, and Castle/Dungeon/Stronghold each have 3.

Battle of the Sexes is a large map, so I am going to pick something smaller instead. This is my first time playing in like 10 years.

God drat it.

Launching game now.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 12:59

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Viva la Malarky

Alright so this is odd. Maybe I dont understand fortress, but:

I simply dont have a resource silo to upgrade. Lets hope it's a fluke and will let me upgrade this anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

You've got to build a Marketplace first, then you can upgrade the Market with the resource silo.

«20 »