Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

Date: February 15, 2014
Venue: Arena Jaragua
Broadcast: FOX Sports 1, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10:30 p.m. ET)

Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi
Francis Carmont vs. Ronaldo Souza
Takenori Sato vs. Erick Silva
Viscardi Andrade vs. Nicholas Musoke
Andy Ogle vs. Charles Oliveira

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7:30 p.m. ET)

Cristiano Marcello vs. Joe Proctor
Rodrigo Damm vs. Ivan Jorge
Jesse Ronson vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Yuri Alcantara vs. Wilson Reis
Felipe Arantes vs. Maximo Blanco
Ildemar Alcantara vs. Albert Tumenov
Douglas de Andrade vs. Zubair Tuhugov

Important Things:

Lyoto "Heartbreaker" Machida is a urine drinking, head kicking, and non-eating son of a bitch now. After sending Mark Munoz back to Fat Camp in the new weight class of middleweight we're going to see some tepid counter-striking at 185!

Remember when Gayhard fought Ilir Latifi?

JACARE! JACARE! JACARE!

Under no circumstances will I entertain that Francis Carmont is someone we should learn more about. Let's just pretend he doesn't exist while saying his name without an accent.

Erik Silva! Charles Oliveira! Yuri Alcantara! Other Guys I Don't Know!

/effort

MMA Snack Rating Acai Breakfast Bowl

quote:

Ingredients
Makes about 1.5 cups (1 large, or 2 small servings)

7 ounces frozen acai (available in the freezer section of Whole Foods and other grocery stores)
1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango are all good choices)
1 banana
1/4 cup granola
1/4 cup fresh berries (optional)
1/4 cup sliced banana (optional)
2 sprigs fresh mint (optional garnish)

Directions
Break the frozen acai up into large chunks while still in the packaging. Remove from packaging, and place frozen acai chunks, frozen fruit, and banana in a food processor. Alternatively, use a blender with a little juice to blend. Transfer blended mixture to a bowl or bowls and sprinkle with granola and fresh fruit. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.

Other Important Things:

Do you have UFC Fight Pass? Do you have FOX Sports 1? If you said yes to both of these, you know that they're for free and you can post streams, since internetting is hard.

Login to #mma on synirc.org if you want to talk about which Linkin Park remix is good or bad in Real Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 16, 2003
;(

everyone agrees it should be machida v jacare right

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Bundt Cake posted:

That would be a very nice way to set up the #2 contender in middleweight. But on the other hand I want Weidman to beat Belfort, Machida, and then Jacare and become Brazil's Dr. Doom.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

That sounds ridiculous
chemtrails!

They'd just be happy to have an actual doctor in country finally.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

It's the Dollaway or the Highway.

Bundt Cake posted:

Yep but UFC sees Francis Carmont coming and they want to get rid of him with the guy who just took Yushin Okami off their hands.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

yeh. I feel good.

Oliveira and Silva are set up to crush cans, Maximo Blanco is fighting a guy whose name means "Country Boy" and walks out in a cowboy hat, Alcantara vs Reis is actually somewhat relevant to the BW division, Viscardi Andrade is kinda cool I guess (and lost to Charles Oliveira in 2008), two bad Dagestanis are debuting, and Francis Carmont is going to win an undeserved decision. A Good Card.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

if we don't get the gator crawl i'm gonna cry

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

NEW PLASTIC BELT SEASON. AND WHAT NOT

Lone Goat posted:

New Season starts now~

LOOK FOR THE THEAD, CO-JACK

-Atom- fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2014 around 23:23

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Trast posted:

That would be a very nice way to set up the #2 contender in middleweight. But on the other hand I want Weidman to beat Belfort, Machida, and then Jacare and become Brazil's Dr. Doom.

Chris "Alex Stiebling (But Actually Good) 2.0" Weidman needs to become a thing.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

That acai bowl looks good

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

I'm so happy that Carmont is getting fed to the alligator(s).

MrSmokes
Jun 18, 2011

Gonna laugh so hard if Carmont finds a way to eke out a win here. (but he's probably just gonna get destroyed)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

niethan posted:

That acai bowl looks good

the flower pattern is quite lovely.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Milquetoast

MrSmokes posted:

Gonna laugh so hard if Carmont finds a way to eke out a win here. (but he's probably just gonna get destroyed)

This fight has "What is wrong with Jacare? Oh my god Carmont is going to grind out a decision isn't he? " written all over it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

Part of my training entailed getting the enemy to communicate.

Dangersim posted:

This fight has "What is wrong with Jacare? Oh my god Carmont is going to grind out a decision isn't he? " written all over it.

I would've disagreed with you on the basis of "Jacare is one of those you never want to go to the ground with", then I remember what Shields did to Maia and nothing makes sense any more.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

I wore cologne!!!

Jacare vs. Carmont is one of those fights that seems to have an obvious conclusion (Jacare winning) that it seems almost TOO obvious and everybody goes in nervous as hell, then the obvious happens even more obviously than we thought (Jacare wins via Round 1 destruction) and immediately everybody including Dana White spooges in their pants about the guy because the nervousness being satiated exaggerates the victory.

Or something.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Lid posted:

I would've disagreed with you on the basis of "Jacare is one of those you never want to go to the ground with", then I remember what Shields did to Maia and nothing makes sense any more.

maia's not the athlete or wrestler that jacare is, and carmont isn't the wrestler or jiu jitsu player that jake is. hopefully this gives you more confidence in old alligator jones.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Canadar. Prophet.
Gomi superfan.

Lid posted:

jake shields is one of the best no gi grapplers on the planet, and has been submitted a total of one (1) times. if maia couldn't establish and keep top position he basically had no chance. shields gases like right away but he is absolutely tenacious at establishing and maintaining dominant positions

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

Also I think one of the key differences is that Jacare knows how to hit people in the face pretty hard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Also I think one of the key differences is that Jacare knows how to hit people in the face pretty hard.

I want you to rewatch the Kennedy and Rockhold fights and evaluate this statement again.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

1st AD posted:

I want you to rewatch the Kennedy and Rockhold fights and evaluate this statement again.

He's only recently learned this skill.

Bundt Cake
Aug 16, 2003
;(

Lid posted:

Jacares better than Maia. Maia getting beaten by shields the way he didn't probably shouldn't have been that surprising, considering Maia's whole body of work. Okami would beat Maia the same way. Maia's good enough to be competitive with Jacare but hes not as good.

origami
Jun 24, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

He's only recently learned this skill.

Ah, how long has Jacare been on TRT?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

*RONK, RONK*
Make that three rard-boiled eggs.

Lloyd Boner posted:

The other key difference is that

Bundt Cake posted:

Jacares better than Maia.

In grappling Jacare and Maia have, iirc, fought about 5 times, and Jacare's won three of those and is the only one to pick up any subs. He's better than Maia at the thing both of them are best at, and he's also better than him at most other aspects if you compare their mma performances.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

fatherdog posted:

The other key difference is that

In grappling Jacare and Maia have, iirc, fought about 5 times, and Jacare's won three of those and is the only one to pick up any subs. He's better than Maia at the thing both of them are best at, and he's also better than him at most other aspects if you compare their mma performances.

That just gives the judges more reason to have a bad decision according to the capricious and cruel mma gods.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

*RONK, RONK*
Make that three rard-boiled eggs.

The other interesting parallel between Maia and Jacare is that both of them have had one really embarassing knockout but otherwise not shown a particularly bad chin. (Jacare has arguably had two but the Mousasi upkick was more fluky than embarassing imo)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Jacare vs. Carmont is one of those fights that seems to have an obvious conclusion (Jacare winning) that it seems almost TOO obvious and everybody goes in nervous as hell, then the obvious happens even more obviously than we thought (Jacare wins via Round 1 destruction) and immediately everybody including Dana White spooges in their pants about the guy because the nervousness being satiated exaggerates the victory.

Or something.

Your post reads like the rumblings of a mad man but it's kind of true. It happens all the time. Some dude is starching fools comes up agains a blanket and everyone is all oooooo this dude could smother him and then joe rogan be all like OH MY GAAAAWWWD. WWWOOOOWWWWWW

and godly is all IT'S ALLLLLLLLL OOOVERRRR

and you feel like a dumbass for putting 5 bucks on wrestly man who's a three dollar underdog.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

That is why we both hate and love The Octagon, as we hate and love ourselves.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Good Nuz, Everyone!

haha I love Gegard

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Machida and Jacare are two of my favorite MMA fighters on the planet, look forward to seeing both of them winning and then getting a 2 on 1 handicap match against Chris Weidman.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

colonel_korn posted:

haha I love Gegard

The coolest cucumber to ever compete

origami
Jun 24, 2011

I like how there's a wristband on Machida so they know he belongs there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Machida looks like a new man these days. It's so bizarre.

origami
Jun 24, 2011

Is Machida cutting any weight for 85? He looks like a different person.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Still #1 Herb Defender

Bubba Smith posted:

Machida looks like a new man these days. It's so bizarre.

His looks have intensified, one might say.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Good Nuz, Everyone!

origami posted:

Is Machida cutting any weight for 85? He looks like a different person.

Yeah both he and Mousasi look way better at 185, good move for both of them I think.

The Sphinxster
Jul 13, 2007

Next!

colonel_korn posted:

haha I love Gegard

I want that Ryu shirt.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

Middleweight Machida is hot no lie

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

It's too bad Machida didn't drop sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Trast posted:

It's too bad Machida didn't drop sooner.

Maybe because of his age, but really that dude always did very well at LHW. He was even the champion at one time.

I'd say this has been the perfect time for him to drop. He already beat Rich Franklin earlier in his career, he beat Dan Henderson at 205, and I don't think anybody needed to see Machida/Leites or Machida/Maia and whatever. So he's already fought some notable 185ers from Anderson's time and now there's new guys. Hopefully Weidman is in his future.

«21 »