Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Only the worst human beings write in a book. You are dead to me if you then donate that book or resell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A woman called Muriel presumably died and her estate sold her library to second hand shops and I'm gradually reconstructing her collection and imbibing her opinions.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've got a used copy of the Riverside Chaucer that's been written in by about 8 different people. When I saw that it had been resold in Alabama and California (I live near Vancouver), I had to get it.

Whoever wrote in pink made sure to note that there were 29 PPL on the pilgrimage.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Poetry is pretty awesome. To add to translation-chat, poetry translation is one of the hardest things out there, because word choice and sound are so critical. If I'm reading something in translation, I always like to have the original text available nearby, along with copious notes, and I'll usually end up hunting around in dictionaries and looking at the grammar and structure of the poem's original language to see if there's anything I missed.

For content, here's an untranslated poem that I've used for teaching vowel sounds to first-year Swedish students.

Gustaf Fröding posted:

Stå
grå,
stå
grå,
stå
grå,
stå
grå,
stå
grå-å-å-å.
Så är gråbergs gråa sång
lå-å-å-å-å-å-å-å-å-ng.

Nemox91
Jul 15, 2007

Will we dream?
Look, do yourself a favor and listen to this: https://archive.org/details/BillyCollinsTheBestCigarette

Pragmatic poetry that is seemingly accessible or as complex as the audience cares to make it. Attended a reading at a local college in 2004 and laughed out loud more than I have while watching some comedy movies. Poetry can be funny.

Throw-back fav: William Cullen Bryant "Thanatopsis"

http://www.bartleby.com/102/16.html

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I really like Billy Collins poetry. Hits me like comfort food.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Billy Collins is the Robert Frost of poetry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robert Edson posted:

It’s a scientific fact that anyone entering the distance will grow smaller. Eventually becoming so small he might only be found with a telescope, or, for more intimacy, with a microscope....

But there’s a vanishing point, where anyone having penetrated the distance must disappear entirely without hope of his ever returning, leaving only a memory of his ever having been.

But then there is fiction, so that one is never really sure if it was someone who vanished into the end of seeing, or someone made of paper and ink...

So, prose poetry. What do you think of it? Does it count as "real" poetry? I'm quite fond of prose poetry, since I think poetry's defining characteristic isn't its rhythm or structure, but its density of thought and content.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

FactsAreUseless posted:

So, prose poetry. What do you think of it? Does it count as "real" poetry? I'm quite fond of prose poetry, since I think poetry's defining characteristic isn't its rhythm or structure, but its density of thought and content.

Prose poetry is totally real poetry and anyone who tries to tell you that something doesn't "count" as poetry is usually wrong

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stravinsky posted:

Only the worst human beings write in a book. You are dead to me if you then donate that book or resell it.

It used to be a thing where people would lend Coleridge their books and he would write all over them and give them back and then the people would be like "ooh I got Coleridge marginalia!!"

I want that to be a thing again. Crowd-sourcing user highlights and stuff on Kindle is really lame right now,* but it could be so good. (IMO.)

* as far as I can tell, people only ever highlight sentences that sound vaguely to them like they're kinda... sorta... fancy-ish. Like they use some basic rhetorical scheme or something. But important passages explaining the themes of the book? Nah.

Hey also re: translation chat Walter Benjamin has a thing where he says the truth of a poem comes out in the translation.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like Jakobson's definition. Of the six functions of language, the poetic function is the one oriented towards the message itself. Poetry generally understands that language is a cognitive thing, so when you play with the message itself, you're playing with thinking. It's not the content, the information itself, that matters, but the "how" you think about the content. Kinda like how Ebert says something like a movie isn't what it is about, but how it is about it. movies can be poetry

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Kindle highlights are great, turns out Things Fall Apart is just a series of catchy and quotable ways to call men better than women. Also every human experience is poetry :stoat:

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Hey Poetry Megathread. The only real poetry ive read for pleasure (not to say some of the stuff ive read in school was bad but never grabbed me) was a book of the collected works of Frank O'Hara.

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff similar to it.

might as well quote out one of the poems since it will be nice for others who havent read him to see

POEM posted:

To be idiomatic in a vacuum,
it is a shining thing! I

see it, it's like being inside
a bird. Where do you live,

are you sick?
I am breathing the pure sphere

of loneliness and it is sating.
Do you know young Rene Rilke?

He is a rose, he is together, all
together, like a wind tunnel,

and the rest of us are testing
our wings, our straining struts.

My favorite by him is definitely Second Avenue which is pretty long and I would link to it but a cursory google didnt show a link so sorry.

AllanGordon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 15, 2014

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

FactsAreUseless posted:

Billy Collins is the Robert Frost of poetry.

This is as apt a judgment as any I've seen.

Edit: Please excuse the triple post.

Iamblikhos fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

AllanGordon posted:

Hey Poetry Megathread. The only real poetry ive read for pleasure (not to say some of the stuff ive read in school was bad but never grabbed me) was a book of the collected works of Frank O'Hara.

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff similar to it.

You should check out William Carlos Williams, going by your example. O'Hara is considered to belong to the New York School, but of the poets associated with it the closest one to him is probably James Schyler.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Poutling posted:

That list is pretty western-centric with 2 Japanese haiku guys thrown in at the end. I would add at least Pablo Neruda and Rainer Maria Rilke to the list, and maybe Cavafy and Czeslaw Milosz.

While I personally dislike Neruda a great deal, he is indeed accessible, moreso than any of the other three. These are all Western poets, though :)

I wish I knew more about non-Western poetry. The only ones I know and would recommend are Kabir and Nazim Hikmet.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Iamblikhos posted:

You should check out William Carlos Williams, going by your example. O'Hara is considered to belong to the New York School, but of the poets associated with it the closest one to him is probably James Schyler.

Thanks for the rec.

wikipedia posted:

Williams is strongly associated with the American modernist movement in literature and saw his poetic project as a distinctly American one; he sought to renew language through the fresh, raw idiom that grew out of America's cultural and social heterogeneity, at the same time freeing it from what he saw as the worn-out language of British and European culture. In 1920, this project took shape in Contact, a periodical launched by Williams and fellow writer Robert McAlmon: "The two editors sought American cultural renewal in the local condition in clear opposition to the internationalists—Pound, The Little Review, and the Baroness."

sounds extremely good to me will def check out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I sadly cannot read the original to compare, but I'm fond of this translation of Maximillian Voloshin's "Under Sail," courtesy of Babette Deutsch:

quote:

Five days we have been cruising, nor once have furled
The bellying sails.
Nights have been spent in bays,
In coves and estuaries,
Where a full moon blossomed above the dunes.
By day the wind drives us along the shallow
And lonely sandbanks,
Seething with white foam.
Stayed by the carven rudder,
I watch
From the high prow
The dance of the deck;
The massed seas shimmer, and beyond,
The interlacing rigging frames
The untenanted ocean.
A balked wave's splash,
A taut mast's creak,
A gurgling underneath the prow -
And one still sail...
Behind - the city,
All a red ecstasy
Of spilling flags,
Inflamed with fear and anger,
Chill with rumors,
Quivering with hope,
Tortured by hunger,
Plagues and blood -
City where tardy Spring glides stealthily,
In a lace veil of flowers and acacias.
But here - only the windless, soundless, unplumbed deep.
The sky, the water, are two valves
Of a vast pearl shell.
The sun is caught in cobweb rays.
The ship in cloudy spaces hangs,
In blunt and smoky splendor.
Yonder is seen the shore of your bare land
Of wormwood, drought, and stone -
Your land fatigued
With being the thoroughfare of tribes and peoples.
I shall set you as a witness to their madness,
And I shall lead you by a bladelike path,
That you may bear within you the immense
Silence of the twilit, shimmering sea.

It's from Avrahm Yarmolinsky's anthology "A Treasure of Russian Verse" which I believe is public domain and available online if you want to track it down.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

AllanGordon posted:

sounds extremely good to me will def check out.

William Carlos Williams

The rose is obsolete
but each petal ends in
an edge, the double facet
cementing the grooved
columns of air--The edge
cuts without cutting
meets--nothing--renews
itself in metal or porcelain--

whither? It ends--

But if it ends
the start is begun
so that to engage roses
becomes a geometry--

Sharper, neater, more cutting
figured in majolica--
the broken plate
glazed with a rose

Somewhere the sense
makes copper roses
steel roses--

The rose carried weight of love
but love is at an end--of roses

It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits

Crisp, worked to defeat
laboredness--fragile
plucked, moist, half-raised
cold, precise, touching

What

The place between the petal's
edge and the

From the petal's edge a line starts
that being of steel
infinitely fine, infinitely
rigid penetrates
the Milky Way
without contact--lifting
from it--neither hanging
nor pushing--

The fragility of the flower
unbruised
penetrates space

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

I am never sarcastic nor do I joke. Thank you for your insight into this one. I never once pondered upon the transmutable and temporal nature that is easily observable in nature. I really hope you will follow along with me and help guide me when I stray as I rediscover Robert Frost. And boy am I glad your here because I need some help with the next section.

Hmm. This is just my opinion, but I think you don't understand poetry at all and shouldn't post in this thread, if you think that a poem needs to say something unusual or new to be good.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

Hmm. This is just my opinion, but I think you don't understand poetry at all and shouldn't post in this thread, if you think that a poem needs to say something unusual or new to be good.

Sorry, forgot to actually put the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] in my post. If I ever real post about Frost please kill me.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

Sorry, forgot to actually put the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] in my post. If I ever real post about Frost please kill me.

My mistake. I thought you had dumb teenager contrarian opinions of Robert Frost, instead of the sophisticated perspective you displayed by refraining from using sarcasm tags. Anyway, Robert Frost was a great American poet whose poems use a mastery of the American vernacular to deploy multiple layers of irony to reflect a complex, penetrating perspective in which human beings' strivings for significance and comfort are punctured by harsh, but necessary, interruptions from an uncaring natural world. Peace out.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading the Odyssey translated by Alexander Pope and I am annoyed at the fact that words don't rhyme anymore also I hate the horrible sentences you get by messing with syntax to keep a rhyme scheme going gently caress old poems.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

CestMoi posted:

I'm reading the Odyssey translated by Alexander Pope and I am annoyed at the fact that words don't rhyme anymore also I hate the horrible sentences you get by messing with syntax to keep a rhyme scheme going gently caress old poems.

Yeah, I really hate that translation. In general translations of classical texts got way better when free-er verse allowed translators a lot more latitude in preserving the spirit and intention of the original. Pope's Odyssey is exactly that: an attempt to make it a poem by Pope, not to render it with the author's "intent" in mind, and like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull. Much like my posting.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

dogcrash truther posted:

My mistake. I thought you had dumb teenager contrarian opinions of Robert Frost, instead of the sophisticated perspective you displayed by refraining from using sarcasm tags. Anyway, Robert Frost was a great American poet whose poems use a mastery of the American vernacular to deploy multiple layers of irony to reflect a complex, penetrating perspective in which human beings' strivings for significance and comfort are punctured by harsh, but necessary, interruptions from an uncaring natural world. Peace out.

Robert Frost is good for introducing schoolchildren to poetry. While he is indeed able to command the American vernacular within his limited lyrical range, I cannot see anyting like a "complex, penetrating perspective" in his work. In fact, I see just the opposite, along with transparently conscious strain to produce something like a "complex, penetrating perspective". The most charitable thing to say is that his work predisposes his more sophisticated readers to see depth and complexity that's not intrinsic to his poetry but a reflection of their own depth and complexity.

dogcrash truther posted:

like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull.

That's a bit harsh, I think.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow is one of my favorite books that is also a giant poem about a cali werewolf gangwar.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fallorn posted:

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow is one of my favorite books that is also a giant poem about a cali werewolf gangwar.

The whole time I was reading it, I was howling with laughter!

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The whole time I was reading it, I was howling with laughter!

Leave this sanctuary of the arts, BYOB troll!

Ignore him, Fallorn. Your literary preferences deserve as much respect as anyone else's.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

Yeah, I really hate that translation. In general translations of classical texts got way better when free-er verse allowed translators a lot more latitude in preserving the spirit and intention of the original. Pope's Odyssey is exactly that: an attempt to make it a poem by Pope, not to render it with the author's "intent" in mind, and like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull. Much like my posting.

Honestly I'd rather he went more Pope's Odyssey with it and just took bits out and added other bits to make it work as a poem written by Alexander Pope, possibly by dramatically shortening it so there's less lines for him to make ugly. Unless I learn Greek I'm never going to read Homer's Odyssey and I'd prefer not to read attempts to reconcile "his" with someone else's words, ideas, idiosyncratic existence etc etc

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Anybody have opinions on ee cummings? Growing up I didn't really appreciate poetry, I thought it was kind of dumb - but I ran into ee cummings' "anyone lived in a pretty how town" in a college english class which really helped me "get it". I think because the syntactical weirdness helped me disengage the analytical part of my brain and "feel" the poem.

Essentially, this:

ee cummings posted:

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
—the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
e e cummings was pretty awesome. He's easy to dismiss as the gimmicky poet who didn't use punctuation but he's very much worth reading.

If you like cummings you might also like Gerard Manley Hopkins, though most of Hopkin's stuff is religious.

quote:

I CAUGHT this morning morning’s minion, king-
dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing, 5
As a skate’s heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird,—the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion 10
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 19, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

e e cummings was pretty awesome. He's easy to dismiss as the gimmicky poet who didn't use punctuation but he's very much worth reading.

I think this is what most people think of when they're like "poetry is inaccessible"

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
I've been reading some alexander blok and he is good

here is a poem

night street the lantern posted:

Night, streets, the lantern, the drugstore,
The meaningless and dusky light.
A quarter of the century more --
All fall the same into your sight!

You died – as it was before –
You have the former way to start:
The streets, the lantern, the drugstore,
Swell of the canal in the night.

here is someone reading it in russian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRq7wcFqf6o

maybe post more videos of people saying poems

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I've never read poetry before, but long felt that I should have. I decided on Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman to start. Walt Whitman might take some getting used to, but so far I'm finding Emily Dickinson fantastic.

quote:

A Book.

He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 17, 2014

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Can anyone recommend a good anthology of surrealist poetry? Or share some poets they like writing that kind of stuff?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Been reading a lot of Napoleonic War era stuff lately so this stuck in my head:

'What is the world, O soldiers?
It is I:
I, this incessant snow,
This northern sky;
Soldiers, this solitude
Through which we go
Is I.'

Walter de la Mare, Napoleon

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never really read anything other than Plath, but this poem always struck me as very lovely for it's simplicity.

Recuerdo

BY Edna St Vincent Millay

We were very tired, we were very merry—

We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry.

It was bare and bright, and smelled like a stable—

But we looked into a fire, we leaned across a table,

We lay on a hill-top underneath the moon;

And the whistles kept blowing, and the dawn came soon.

We were very tired, we were very merry—

We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry;

And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,

From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;

And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,

And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold.

We were very tired, we were very merry,

We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry.

We hailed, “Good morrow, mother!” to a shawl-covered head,

And bought a morning paper, which neither of us read;

And she wept, “God bless you!” for the apples and pears,

And we gave her all our money but our subway fares.
====

Also suggest some poets for me. Im always depressed and usually like it that way,

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 24, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

jimcunningham posted:

Also suggest some poets for me. Im always depressed and usually like it that way,
If you like Plath, you should be reading Anne Sexton.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thank's to this thread, I'm reading some poetry before bed instead of godawful wizard books (because I ran out of wizard books I liked). I started with a translation of Bansho's Narrow Road, which is really nice, is there any other suggestions for, I suppose 'Travel poetry' like this?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I must be really square because I still like John Keats from my English BA days in ages past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like Keats, Yeats, and the Beats.

• Locked thread