Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

I just could not wait and dove right on in!

As we can see in my picture below, the first poem is the well known The Road Not Taken. Here we can see Frost's mastery of the english words in conveying a very simple image and storyline. Even though it is super simple most peopple gently caress this poem up. Key lines include:

Then took the other, as just as fair

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

and

took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Most people read this and just go, oh he chose the one most have not chosen and it really affected him in a philosophical way. Those people did not really read the poem very closely at all. Look at the lines I picked out. He clearly states that both were the same and just as trodden upon as the other. What he is saying is that he will lie later on in life and say that he took the road (an actual or metaphoricle) most people have not taken and how it directly changed him. Once again we can really say that Frost is a true poet worthy to be read again and again.

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Re; translations, I read The Conference of the Birds by Farid Attar pretty recently and while it was really good and had some great footnotes explaining every cultural/religious reference, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was just missing something by not being a 12th century Persian Sufi mystic. It just loses a lot of the punch that really great poems have when you are separated by however many degrees from the actual circumstances the poem was written in.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

Who's translation/copy did you read? I have this on my poo poo to read list and I figure the more footnotes and explanations I get the better because I'm not a whirling dervish.

I went for the Penguin Classics version. It has footnotes explaining all the references and puns you wouldn't pick up on not being Persian and also has a section at the back with paragraph biographies of everyone namedropped throughout the poem. It's actually a pretty good way to pick up some really basic knowledge of Islam if you don't have any already.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I got some T.S Eliot poems because I'd never read them before and The Wasteland is pretty drat deece. I'm now trying to overcome my gag reflex against writing in books so I can write down all the cool things I like and look fun and interesting in coffee shops.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Kindle highlights are great, turns out Things Fall Apart is just a series of catchy and quotable ways to call men better than women. Also every human experience is poetry :stoat:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm reading the Odyssey translated by Alexander Pope and I am annoyed at the fact that words don't rhyme anymore also I hate the horrible sentences you get by messing with syntax to keep a rhyme scheme going gently caress old poems.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

dogcrash truther posted:

Yeah, I really hate that translation. In general translations of classical texts got way better when free-er verse allowed translators a lot more latitude in preserving the spirit and intention of the original. Pope's Odyssey is exactly that: an attempt to make it a poem by Pope, not to render it with the author's "intent" in mind, and like almost all neoclassical poetry that isn't satire, that means it's self-satisfied and dull. Much like my posting.

Honestly I'd rather he went more Pope's Odyssey with it and just took bits out and added other bits to make it work as a poem written by Alexander Pope, possibly by dramatically shortening it so there's less lines for him to make ugly. Unless I learn Greek I'm never going to read Homer's Odyssey and I'd prefer not to read attempts to reconcile "his" with someone else's words, ideas, idiosyncratic existence etc etc

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I bought Lyrical Ballads 1798 + 1802 and the poems are cool and good, but I especially like the essay bits where Wordsworth talks about why he feels all the contemporary poetry that isn't him and COleridge is a big steaming turd that is just copying old things that have become poetical and calling it poetry, rather than writing things that are actually good and normal people can relate to. He gets annoyed at a poem that describes a bell as "church-going".

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idk I think poetry as a whole is often seen as inaccessible, even now; so it's interesting to have a guy offer condescending over inaccessible. Alsothe poems are really nicely written so that's good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I wanted to post this in the Walt Whitman thread, but it turns out that has been archived after all 5 posts in it so I'm going to post this here: I accidentally watched Steve ROggenbuck (who is bad) read a bunch of lines of Walt WHitman (Who is good) and now I'm reading loads of Walt Whitman, which is good. Here's To A Common Prostitute, which isn't as good as Song of Myself, but is much shorter:

Be composed - be at ease with me - I am Walt Whitman, liberal and lusty as Nature,
Not till the sun excludes you do I exclude you,
Not till the waters refuse to glisten for you and the leaves to rustle for you, do my words refuse to glisten and rustle for you.

My girl I appoint with you an appointment, I charge you that you make preparation to be worthy to meet me,
And I charge you to be patient and perfect till I come.

Till then I salute you with a significant look that you do not forget me.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

JOhn Ashberry Mother Fuckers!!!!!!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

iccyelf posted:

What don't you like about Roggenbuck?

I find his badness inhibits my enjoyment of him.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't really have much of a reason it's just uninteresting and bad. It sounds bad.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Just read Frist Poem and Snail Poem and they are nice + a lot nicer than Roggenbuck. I don't really see the similarity either other than not spelling things right, Roggenbuck always seems like a really stupid Whitman to me, like he's tried to nick the Whitmany, positive, SOng of Myself way of writing without knowing how to write something that sounds good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Today I bought History by David O'Hanlon which is a really recently published collection of poems by someone I have never heard of before and they're pretty nice! A lot of them are heavily inspired by Greek myths I cba to type one of the long ones here's a short one called Sisyphus

And the boulder rolls back
down the hill. I almost laugh.
I've wept enough. This is my joy:
to see the globe, my entire world,

fall away and - ha! - crash,
then to descend in its wake,
relishing the downhill run,
arms thrown out, a child again.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

Barring the chance that your poem happens to be unimaginably good, no one should probably ever mention 1. The ocean 2. The universe. First mention of waves and I'm done before the rest of th truck of images pass by. That and making up cute new compound words is very hell and those poems do that too.

But it's so big and mysterious

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Is Shelley translating Oedipus Tyrannos as Swellfoot the Tyrant the ugliest poetical decision ever made??? Discuss.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

is that better than the two roads diverged guy or am i going to be shipped off to the tasteless slob camp?

Yes, and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

Shelley deserved a solid asskicking.. "I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!" I mean, how could he even stand to face himself in the mirror each day knowing he had written those lines, wirh those exclamation marks? Truly shameful.

I can't bring myself to hate a line like that it's too fun.

• Locked thread