Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

I spent a semester translating Beowulf, and came away with tremendous respect for the folks who undertake such things. I haven't seen a translation that really captures the feeling of the Old English, though I do like Seamus Heaney's version.

I don't read Old English so well but I do go in for Middle English Poetry and I am fascinated by the choices modern translators make. I am deeply fond of a poem called Pearl, it's about intense grief, a crisis of faith and the gradual acceptance of suffering. It's highly alliterative and when read out loud it's like somebody banging an anguished fist on your chest.

I playned my perle žat žer watz penned
Wyth fyrce skyllez žat faste faȝt.
Žaȝ kynde of Krist me comfort kenned,
My wreched wylle in wo ay wraȝte.
I felle vpon žat floury flaȝt,
Suche odour to my hernez schot;
I slode vpon a slepyng-slaȝte
On žat precious perle withouten spot.

If I had to choose I would say my favourite modern translation is by Jane Draycott.

Caught in the chill grasp of grief I stood
in that place clasping my hands, seized
by the grip on my heart of longing and loss.
Though reason told me to be still
I mourned for my poor imprisoned pearl
with all the fury and force of a quarrel.
The comfort of Christ called out to me
but still I wrestled in wilful sorrow.
Then the power and perfume of those flowers
filled up my head and felled me, slipped me
into sudden sleep in the place
where she lay beneath me. My girl.

She communicates sadness and suffering well, but for me she cannot capture the fury nor the desperation so apparent in the original Middle English. I can totally see how she is consciously putting forward the alliteration, but it seems so wishy washy. I also think she goes on a bit too much, in the Middle English the poet gives vent to a sudden outburst, whereas the modern translation goes on way too long.

The thing is, I can point out where a modern translation doesn't quite get it right for me, but hell, I'll be damned if I can imagine a better way to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Yes, totally! I always read out loud when I come to Middle English, it's just to cool not to. My mum is Scottish but I was raised in England, however, when I read ME poetry I sound super Scottish. Old English is totally on my 'to do' list. I have a book called From Old English to Standard English which was recommended to me as a good teach yourself guide, but what I actually need to do is sit down and actually read some OE. I don't suppose you OE types can recommend some good introductory poetry?

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

The Exeter Book riddles are a nice introduction. They're short little verses of the "what am I?" variety, whose intended answers range from mundane objects to hilarious double entendres:

Answer: An onion. Get your mind out of the gutter.

The introductory OE class that I took used Hasenfratz and Jambeck's Reading Old English as its text, which I've since learned is riddled with errors. The method it uses for teaching OE grammar is much friendlier than the more scholarly works, however, so it could still be a useful book when cross-referenced with a more comprehensive book like Mitchell and Robinson's Guide To Old English or Klaeber's Beowulf.

Haha, very cool! Thanks for the recommendations. The nice thing is some of the Old English there is familiar, I guess Middle English is gateway poetry to the hard stiff!

• Locked thread