Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Declan MacManus posted:

Poems are way cool and come in all different shapes and sizes. The one unifying factor for poetry is that every culture in the world has it and that no one ever seems to know how to teach it in school. It's also the rare form of writing that isn't dominated by dudes

Some cool poems that you probably read in high school and should give another shot:
-We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks
-Howl by Allen Ginsburg
-I Sing the Body Electric by Walt Whitman
-the red wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams
-Nikki-Rosa by Nikki Giovanni
-The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot

A list of influential or otherwise accessible poets to get started on:
-T.S. Eliot
-John Donne
-Emily Dickinson
-Walt Whitman
-Seamus Haney
-Dylan Thomas
-Isaac Rosenberg
-Matsuo Basho
-Kobayashi Issa

That list is pretty western-centric with 2 Japanese haiku guys thrown in at the end. I would add at least Pablo Neruda and Rainer Maria Rilke to the list, and maybe Cavafy and Czeslaw Milosz.

Stravinsky posted:

What are peoples opinions in regards to translations of poetry. I always have been wary of anything that was not originally written in English because poetry hinges on word choice. Especially so if you have a situation where a word does not really have a companion word in the language your translating to.

You read a lot of world lit in fiction and I think you hit the same issues that you would there that you would in poetry. I hear this is especially true for Japanese literature where the kanji chosen can sometimes have 2 or 3 different meanings and can add layers to a passage that are not easily translated into English. I think the key is to find the right translator who can capture not only the direct translation but the spirit of the poem. Translating itself is an art form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread